The Case of Gabby Petito

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: The Case of Gabby Petito

Post by Unagi »

Octavious wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm Well they found a body. The only good news is that they may have found her. I can't imagine how horrible it would be never know as a parent. What a horrible story.
Still, if Brian just tosses himself to the swamps or something, without ever telling the family what happened.... Their nightmares will never end, IMO. Not that they ever would - but they will still be haunted by the lack of any information.

It's truly a horrible story.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:35 pm It's truly a horrible story.
Yes, but one of many at any given moment. Am I the only one bothered by these cases becoming a national story when they involve a pretty blonde girl while the multitude of minorities suffering such fates are unacknowledged?
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:14 pm
Yes, but one of many at any given moment. Am I the only one bothered by these cases becoming a national story when they involve a pretty blonde girl while the multitude of minorities suffering such fates are unacknowledged?
LOL- no. :roll: you really should go back a page and read the posts that lead up this.

Should none of them become national stories or should all of them?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, I have other things to do, but they should all be, if any are. It's a worthy news story, but so is ever single missing person.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There was already an entire page discussing that very point.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If every missing indigenous woman was given this kind of attention we might actually find some of them.

But yeah, still very sad. And from a detached perspective, very interesting.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Updated news suggests it's her:
A body "consistent with the description of" Gabby Petito, the 22-year-old woman who went missing while on a cross-country road trip with her boyfriend, was discovered in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming.

The FBI Denver, the National Park Service and law enforcement made the announcement during a news conference Sunday evening in Grand Teton National Park. Charles Jones, the FBI’s supervisory senior resident agent, said that a full forensic identification hasn’t yet been completed, but investigators did notify Petito’s parents.
I would think if it wasn't her, they would have quickly reported that fact. Here's hoping they get answers and someone can be held accountable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Her dad supposedly confirmed it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:30 pm Yeah, I have other things to do, but they should all be, if any are. It's a worthy news story, but so is ever single missing person.
No one has the bandwidth for every single missing person. Mainstream media and "what's trending" is the lossy compression of current events. They pick what gets eyeballs and people love it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A YouTuber couple blogging their trip then only one comes back is also low-hanging views. Sure her race helps, but it’s the viewer demographics the media really wants.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:14 pm
Am I the only one bothered by these cases becoming a national story when they involve a pretty blonde girl while the multitude of minorities suffering such fates are unacknowledged?
Yes. And might I add, what an odd perspective.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:35 pm
Octavious wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm Well they found a body. The only good news is that they may have found her. I can't imagine how horrible it would be never know as a parent. What a horrible story.
Still, if Brian just tosses himself to the swamps or something, without ever telling the family what happened.... Their nightmares will never end, IMO. Not that they ever would - but they will still be haunted by the lack of any information.

It's truly a horrible story.
Gotta be very careful what you wish for there. They are probably right now going to want ALL the details, and I guarantee you later if they get them, they will regret it.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

While they are probably going to regret knowing the details, it is still better to know if a missing person is still alive or not that not knowing that.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 pm While they are probably going to regret knowing the details, it is still better to know if a missing person is still alive or not that not knowing that.
No, I get that. I’m talking about the “I want to know every detail about her last minute” stuff.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I don’t think any family member truly wants to know every last gruesome detail. Not at all.
I do think they wish to have a truthful understanding of the circumstances of her death though.

Obviously nothing will end the nightmare, but it stops them from having to imagine an infinite number of possible horrors and just settle on one.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

What I am wondering is, did the boyfriend tell his lawyer? He came home, and got legal counsel, who told him to shut up. But, did he tell legal counsel everything? If so, that must be excruciatingly hard on that poor lawyer person.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My guess is that it was a crime of passion, or even an accident. He panicked after the fact and ran away. He returned home, maybe hoping his parents could help him figure out what to do. He ignored every single thing he should have done to begin with. Now he's made it worse and I have a feeling this won't end with him being found alive.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Looks like the FBI are done checking the nature reserve and have 'swarmed' his house for a search

I hope (assume) this includes all cellphones, and is most likely after their communication with Brian, specifically?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You have to wonder if his parents, possibly unintentionally, sent the FBI on a wild goose chase.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 am You have to wonder if his parents, possibly unintentionally, sent the FBI on a wild goose chase.
Yeah, the way it came across to me was the FBI almost yelling or in all caps “We are ASSUMING (*cough*) the Laundrie family is acting in good faith and giving us accurate info. FEDERAL PRISON IS NOT FOR THE FAINTHEARTED” (last part said looking directly at Laundrie family, eyebrows raised). :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:53 am My guess is that ...
So, one of the scenarios I feel could have happened...

First, we know Gabby was afraid that he would abandon her. It was obviously something she had in her mind, either because she just had that nightmare... or because he seeded it once by driving off during one of her 'freak out' moments. Either way, that idea was 'out there' in the cab of that van. They both had anxiety issues and we learned that he insisted breaks from one another while they both calmed down, etc. The fight that was witnessed in town had him locked in the car and refusing to let her back in.

I picture a fight where he either locked her out of the van at a camp site, and she walked off (never seen again). Or maybe he drives off in a fit, and then comes back to camp and she is gone.... or - even in the middle of the road somewhere, they pull over and he leaves her in a remote part of the park. He comes back to that spot and can't find her... then drives home....

From then, we know* that on Aug 30th Gabby's mom got what is believed to be a 'fake text from Gabby', where presumably Brian was trying to pretend that they were in, or had just came out of Yosemite... and a day later the van shows up in Florida without her. At least a 42 hour drive away from Yosemite...

So he had or has her cellphone... and tried to use it to, at the very least, buy himself some time... but he trusted his home, clearly. His parents feel that he is going to get the full blame for Gabby's death (and don't think that's justified) so they refuse to speak to anyone, they get lawyered up, hide their son, then report 3 days after they last saw him, that they last saw him 3 days ago... and that he went to swamp to hike... I wouldn't be surprised if his parents advised him to skip the country and that in a few days they would send the police searching for him in the swamp... their hope would be for the police to believe he's just dead (or skipped the country, cold trail) and Brian can live a new life in X, and they will see him there.

That's what fits best in my head at this point...
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think they either had another fight and he accidentally killed her or he planned it and thats why he took her up there. Those two should have called it quits and both had separate lives.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its possible (and this is pure speculation) she died of accident doing some sort of idiotic tiktok thing they were filing for the blog or whatever. Hanging off a cliff or teasing a bison of cuddling with a bear cub. But he had it on video, and feels responsible. but instead of going to the police right away. He didn't because he is also a tiktok idiot.

But I guess we have to wait until cause of death is released, and if boyfriend is changed from person of interest, to "wanted"
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

One thing I haven't understood is how did he supposedly get to this reserve in Florida. He didn't drive the white van, so what vehicle did he take? I've not heard a description of any vehicle wanted by the police. And if he didn't take vehicle, then who took him?

Frankly, his family comes off as near accomplices in all of this. You'd think when he came home without her there would be some concern on their part about her.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:23 pm

First, we know Gabby was afraid that he would abandon her. It was obviously something she had in her mind, either because she just had that nightmare... or because he seeded it once by driving off during one of her 'freak out' moments. Either way, that idea was 'out there' in the cab of that van. They both had anxiety issues and we learned that he insisted breaks from one another while they both calmed down, etc. The fight that was witnessed in town had him locked in the car and refusing to let her back in.

I picture a fight where he either locked her out of the van at a camp site, and she walked off (never seen again). Or maybe he drives off in a fit, and then comes back to camp and she is gone.... or - even in the middle of the road somewhere, they pull over and he leaves her in a remote part of the park. He comes back to that spot and can't find her... then drives home....

From then, we know* that on Aug 30th Gabby's mom got what is believed to be a 'fake text from Gabby', where presumably Brian was trying to pretend that they were in, or had just came out of Yosemite... and a day later the van shows up in Florida without her. At least a 42 hour drive away from Yosemite...

So he had or has her cellphone... and tried to use it to, at the very least, buy himself some time... but he trusted his home, clearly. His parents feel that he is going to get the full blame for Gabby's death (and don't think that's justified) so they refuse to speak to anyone, they get lawyered up, hide their son, then report 3 days after they last saw him, that they last saw him 3 days ago... and that he went to swamp to hike... I wouldn't be surprised if his parents advised him to skip the country and that in a few days they would send the police searching for him in the swamp... their hope would be for the police to believe he's just dead (or skipped the country, cold trail) and Brian can live a new life in X, and they will see him there.

The autopsy will give us a good idea as to how she died and I expect it will show that she did not die of any "accident". Everything the guy has done says he killed her.

And how's he going to skip the country without being identified even afterwards? He had to use a passport and buy a ticket. A quick search of airline ticket databases would reveal if he did this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:20 pm Its possible (and this is pure speculation) she died of accident doing some sort of idiotic tiktok thing they were filing for the blog or whatever. Hanging off a cliff or teasing a bison of cuddling with a bear cub. But he had it on video, and feels responsible. but instead of going to the police right away. He didn't because he is also a tiktok idiot.

But I guess we have to wait until cause of death is released, and if boyfriend is changed from person of interest, to "wanted"
You could also imagine a scenario like that where she's on video expressing doubts about it and he tells her "just do it, it'll be fine". Where in addition to feeling guilty he'd likely be worried about maybe getting charged with something.
Black Lives Matter.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Grifman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 pm One thing I haven't understood is how did he supposedly get to this reserve in Florida. He didn't drive the white van, so what vehicle did he take? I've not heard a description of any vehicle wanted by the police. And if he didn't take vehicle, then who took him?

Frankly, his family comes off as near accomplices in all of this. You'd think when he came home without her there would be some concern on their part about her.
One of the articles a few days ago said that the parents claimed he took their car, yet the car was still at their house. Does not do anything to help them avoid accomplice charges.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:40 pm One thing I haven't understood is how did he supposedly get to this reserve in Florida. He didn't drive the white van, so what vehicle did he take? I've not heard a description of any vehicle wanted by the police. And if he didn't take vehicle, then who took him?

I'm scratching.my head over that.

The family of Brian Laundrie — who vanished as authorities hunted for his girlfriend, Gabby Petito — found a note left on his car in Florida, their attorney told The Post on Monday.

Police left the notice on Laundrie’s Mustang, which his family found Wednesday parked near the Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County, according to attorney Steven Bertolino.

The note had asked for the car to be removed — but the family left the vehicle there until Thursday, hoping he’d return to it, Bertolino said.
Apparently they then went and drove it back.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It'll be a long time before they find him or his body. Need to check alligator poop.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think they were abducted by aliens and they kept her for more research and gave him a memory wipe and put him back in FL.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:26 pm I think they were abducted by aliens and they kept her for more research and gave him a memory wipe and put him back in FL.
While you're being that...generous, can I borrow some money at an extremely low rate? :wink:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Grifman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:45 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:23 pm

The autopsy will give us a good idea as to how she died and I expect it will show that she did not die of any "accident". Everything the guy has done says he killed her.

And how's he going to skip the country without being identified even afterwards? He had to use a passport and buy a ticket. A quick search of airline ticket databases would reveal if he did this.
Depends on his wealth level. A boat trip to Cuba then a flight to south America comes to mind. If he's REALLY smart he might even be able to eventually emigrate to Europe with totally real papers from one of those SA countries with a high corruption index.

EXTREMELY difficult, not impossible though.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:22 pm Depends on his wealth level. A boat trip to Cuba then a flight to south America comes to mind. If he's REALLY smart he might even be able to eventually emigrate to Europe with totally real papers from one of those SA countries with a high corruption index.

So much is possible when it's premeditated. From what has been shared, this doesn't seem like it was.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:30 pm
Drazzil wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:22 pm Depends on his wealth level. A boat trip to Cuba then a flight to south America comes to mind. If he's REALLY smart he might even be able to eventually emigrate to Europe with totally real papers from one of those SA countries with a high corruption index.

So much is possible when it's premeditated. From what has been shared, this doesn't seem like it was.
Yeah he's a fucking idiot. There was enough reasonable doubt created for a self defense plea when gabby was almost arrested for domestic abuse. Disappearing like he did shit that particular bed.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:26 pm I think they were abducted by aliens and they kept her for more research and gave him a memory wipe and put him back in FL.
Or he's a government assassin they are trying to burn and he just needs a little more time on the lam to prove his innocence and get revenge on all the bad guys. It goes very high up, it really does.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder who will get the movie rights.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I was thinking today "This has 6-part Netflix true crime doc written all over it."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I maintain that the only real crazy thing here is that he came back home without her and didn't say peep, as someone mentioned. He took kind of a third option in this case, whereas normally, as we've talked about, either the murderous BF/husband goes off the rails and pulls his hair and calls press conferences asking for help, or runs. They usually don't just come home, make some scrambled eggs, kick back and watch some Netflix and take the 5th.

Other than that, this (as far as we know currently) isn't even 70's TV mini-series grade as far as I'm concerned. Much less Netflix or HBO series, or God forbid a Major Motion Picture (TM). :D

I guess we still don't know enough to really make that determination right now, but dammit, Imma callin' it early!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:30 am
Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 pm Or yaknow, He might have murdered the first two for sport or pay, removed their bodies in the store center then figured "I might as well kill my psycho bitch GF while I'm at it... Three is just one away from two and murder is murder. In for a penny sort of situation.
You are the human incarnation of depraved. Honestly. Do you have an ounce of consideration of mental health, as you should, and sympathy for - oh, just for example, his "psycho bitch GF" ?

wtf.

Has it already been a week?
Jesus Christ. Now I remember why I stopped posting here. Too many easily offended folks.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:06 pm I wonder who will get the movie rights.
I assume that Lifetime has already started filming.
Black Lives Matter.