Chromebook to replace my Win10 laptop?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Chromebook to replace my Win10 laptop?

Post by jztemple2 »

I know that Chromebooks have been discussed here occasionally and now my wife is suggesting that we get a Chomebook to replace our 2016 Win10 Dell laptop which now has some pixels out on the screen. The thing is I'm looking for something to use with keyboard and mouse, not touchscreen. If it has a touchscreen that's OK, but I'm looking for something primarily to be used with K+M. Also I'm looking for a larger screen and good performance, not a cheap unit. I already have a nice computer bag for it with tons of room for wires and accessories.

Personally I might just want to go with another Win10 laptop but am exploring the options of a Chromebook since the wife pretty much only uses her computer for running the Chrome browser. Also, question, will a Chromebook run Firefox? I use Firefox myself.

Thanks for any help!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jaymon

Re: Chromebook to replace my Win10 laptop?

Post by Jaymon »

A chromebook can run firefox. Well, most can. Chromebook is sort of like a giant android phone, in that it only runs stuff available from the google play store.
Firefox is available there, how well it runs may depend on the specific model of chromebook you get.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I tried a chromebook for a while years ago, and was VERY impressed by it but ultimately decided I wanted a Windows 2 in 1 more. And, I have had to buy more expensive (but not really that premium) laptops because of it.

Having said that, I think a chromebook is an ideal laptop for "most" people. They are a lot more affordable and can do most if not all of the things most people use PCs for. The 2 in 1 form factor can also stand in as a tablet (though you aren't interested in that). And they run android apps - if that's worth anything. (I wasn't interested in that when I briefly had mine.)

If there is something you need to run that can't run on a chromebook then don't get it. If not, then I think you will be pleased.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Timely topic. My ex-wife stopped by today and was looking for something she could check emails, do some banking and pay the daughters student loans and cruise the internet without looking at her small iphone screen. Son & I recommended a Chromebook. She bought an HP Chromebook x360 14a for $289. I'll always be a PC guy but for her that is perfect.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the recommendation. My wife was a bit concerned about the 14" screen so I found an Acer with a 15.6" screen which is the same size as the current Dell we have. It doesn't have a touch screen, but she's old school and doesn't want a touch screen :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ChromeOS machines run the gamut - when i worked at Google i had an octocore i7 CPU ChromeBOX with 24GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD (desktop Chrome machine from HP) - it was not cheap, either.