Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via MegaMek XII

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Leraje

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via MegaMek XII

Post by Leraje »

Decoy mechs make wish for an Uberm... err... Urbanmech :)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:33 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:12 pm Nick, I think I have a clear LoS to 0934, don't I? It's not adjacent to the hills, and no woods between us.
You're sitting in depth 1 water with a height 1 hill in front of you, so not much LOS - you'll have to move out of there if you want LOS.
:doh: again. I was looking at his decoy.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

> ARC-2R DECOY: Moves southwest and fires at whatever is in reach, preferably at the Loki if it can get there.
> ARC-2R: Nothing.
> LICH DECOY: Moves and fires at the 0934 Ryoken. If it can't get close enough, do nothing and move LICH.
> LICH: Nothing. If DECOY can't move, jump to 2829 and LRM the 0934 Ryoken.

Looks good?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:38 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:31 pm Hmmm... Looks like I need the Ryoken/Mad Cat to move up 5-6 spaces to be able to target them with the SRM/6. I'm not sure what the movement numbers mean exactly. If they don't move up enough, then I'll need to move THEMIX DECOY to 2030, and fire if allowed/in range.
Basic summary - a "2/3" movement means 2 MP walking, 3 MP running (affects heat build up and shooting penalties). Can't move faster than the running MP (well, you can, but then that's called sprinting and you can't shoot while being easier to hit).

Moving forward one hex into plain terrain is 1 MP, turning one hex-side is 1 MP. Light woods and 1-level elevation changes are an extra 1 MP. So, for example, if you want to move your decoy forward into the light woods, that's 2 MP. Turning your mech one hex side to the right and moving forward 2 hexes is 3 MP.

Range on weapons is given in the stat blocks, e.g. 3/6/9. Meaning short/medium/long range from the shooter's hex to the defender's hex. Can't shoot beyond long range.

GM-wise, if I don't get firing orders or get invalid ones, I'll transform them into something that *can* happen (if something can happen) while keeping the mech under its heat capacity.
Thanks. That helps. And the firing arcs that are showing for my decoy. :D

So to move my decoy to 2131, by way of 2231, would cost 4 movement (1 hex + 1 hex + 1 height + 1 light woods)?
I think that changes my options for my decoy to either 2132 w/same facing (but exposed), or 2230 w/sw facing. If no one has an opinion, I think the better play is to sacrifice and give up the cover for the chance to attack. (i.e. the first option)

TEAM KURITA
Crusader >> pass
CRD-3R DECOY >> rotate sw; fire AC/5 @ Gargoyle 0921

TEAM US
THEMIX >> pass
THEMIX DECOY >> 2132; fire SRM/6 @ Stormcrow 0934

Hopefully I ... 1) did that correctly, and 2) chose usefully

Edit: Turning my Kurita decoy slightly in case I need better facing next turn.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:53 pm > ARC-2R DECOY: Moves southwest and fires at whatever is in reach, preferably at the Loki if it can get there.
> ARC-2R: Nothing.
> LICH DECOY: Moves and fires at the 0934 Ryoken. If it can't get close enough, do nothing and move LICH.
> LICH: Nothing. If DECOY can't move, jump to 2829 and LRM the 0934 Ryoken.

Looks good?
It looks like ARC-2R can probably hit without moving. Is it not better to stay in the woods for some cover? That's the logic I was using. Is that wrong?

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm It looks like ARC-2R can probably hit without moving. Is it not better to stay in the woods for some cover? That's the logic I was using. Is that wrong?
No no, staying in woods is good. But I think that, woods or not, this thing is dead when they fire anyway. I want to draw the Black Hawk's fire if at all possible, as it's way, way too dangerous to take an alpha from it. If it dumps 84 damage on a mech with 30 points of armor total, well, too bad for it.

Also, I believe I'd be two short of hitting the Man-O-War with a SRM or ML, and even farther away from anything else.

@edit: To clarify, I'm afraid that, if I don't rush in and shoot now, I won't get a chance to do it at all with the decoy. Not with an SRM.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvil on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Assuming, of course, that the "enemy" is not bright enough to realize that the industrial mechs are bogus as soon as they move out of cover. :D

And I'm hoping to get 2 shots from my decoy!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur Decoy - rotate right, forward into the drink, and lobbing LRMs at anything that appears within a reasonable range.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

All my units will hold positions for now
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sorry, what are the to hit modifiers for the Clan forces?

And what weapons did my decoys wind up with?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Whoops, forgot those. Everything except the Dire Wolf is +3, while the Dire Wolf is +2.

Your decoy has an LRM/5, while the Awesome's decoy has an SRM/6.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If my Marauder is firing on the Loki in 0924, are there any forests in between us OTHER than the heavy forest in front of me? I *think* not, but it's hard to say.

Basically what I want to do is have my Marauder stay put and fire its two ER PPCs and Gauss Rifle at the Loki, if there's only the one heavy forest in front of me. If there's more in the LOS, then I'll move up that group of mechs until I hit the first one that only has one forest in the LOS (i.e. the Nobori-nim if there's no extra penalty then the Thor, then the Man O War.

ALSO - Do I understand that we have to choose between doing *anything* for the control mech vs. the decoy mech? Like could I have my main character shoot (but not move) and then have his decoy move (but not shoot)?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also for Kurita forces I'll have the AWS (SRM) decoy turn to the right and move forward as fast as feasible.
Black Lives Matter.
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:41 pm ALSO - Do I understand that we have to choose between doing *anything* for the control mech vs. the decoy mech? Like could I have my main character shoot (but not move) and then have his decoy move (but not shoot)?
Using RC Tonka-mech takes your entire action allotment.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Waiting for orders from Stefan and Moley, will likely start processing the turn in a few hours.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

While we're waiting a little bit for additional orders:

TheMix: Looks like you're going to bump into Lich's loadermech decoy (two mechs can't end their move in the same hex). Any alternate plans?

Isgrimnur: You can't quite make it into the water, that loadermech is pretty slow (2/3 movement, 3 MP cost, but can't run when entering a water hex). Are you ok with just turning right, or do you want to do something else? (realistically speaking it's probably irrelevant as that loadermech is likely to get pasted shortly, but...)

El Guapo: Just to confirm, you want to remain in the same hex, including the intervening heavy woods between yourself and your targets?
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Weeellll.... I'd argue that my instructions overrule his. Since I was explicit. I thought his mech was going to move up to 2133 or 2033. Or he could move to 2032. I guess if the height doesn't make much difference, my mech can move around the hill instead.

Edit: I guess he does out rank me. :(

Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:17 am
El Guapo: Just to confirm, you want to remain in the same hex, including the intervening heavy woods between yourself and your targets?
Actually, looking at the terrain master description again, I see that I need to move anyway in order to get the defensive bonus / penalty, so I'll walk forward one hex (into the heavy woods) before firing (as before, targeting mechs from south to north depending on which gives me the best to hit chance).
Black Lives Matter.
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

Really really sorry, I'd forgotten to take my turns! Will do imminently
moleymoleymoley

I'd like to jump the tbolt to 2923 facing 2823 (southwest).

Also, what weapon did my decoy end up with?
moleymoleymoley

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:44 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:34 am I was kind of hoping we'd come up with a plan and then place accordingly. It seems a lot more like a free-for-all. So I yield to the master tactician to place me as appropriate if my personal selection was stupid. Also, I have no idea where my Kurita mechs should go.
I will say that Leraje, moleymoleymoley, and TotallyNotEvil seem like the experts here (sounds like they've played plenty of battletech?). So if any of them think that any of us or us collectively are making dumb deployment decisions, if any of them could let us know that would be great.
:D you are sorely mistaken buddy, I play Megamek a bit but I let it do all the heavy lifting with ranges etc, I just full on charge in and get up to my waist in broken mech bits
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:17 pm Also, what weapon did my decoy end up with?
2x medium laser
Black Lives Matter
moleymoleymoley

Cool thanks.

A bit of a brain dump:

Our key advantage is always winning initiative, and thus out maneuvering them, especially important at short-range for getting into rear arcs and melee.

Decoys will last half a second under any sort of clan fire. I think that their main use will be additional targets for clan weapons and mobile explosions.

If I were playing this on megamek then what I would be doing is trying to get almost every real mek in heavy cover, then the decoys behind cover (2 woods or 2 height hill) to draw them onto the mines. We absolutely do not want to be taking the fight to them, they'll shred us before we make mid range. I admit that's a fairly conservative way to play though.

Any spare ordinance whilst retreating should be aimed at that Loki, it has thin armour and lots of ammo
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Ugh, stupid drone. Get into the goddamn water." Isgrimnur grumbles, struggling with getting the dressed-up LoaderMech into the water. He manages to get so far as to turn it in the right direction, but the combination of lag, slippery river slope and crappy LoaderMech actuators designed for walking on warehouse floors rather than riverbanks prevents the mech from getting into the water. Trying to get a shot off at this range isn't happening either.

"You think that's bad, I have to go around this stupid little... " TheMix replies, mentally wrestling with the remote control system as his LoaderMech refuses to move forward past Lich's stationary remote. On the plus side, the SRM launcher is out of range anyway, so it won't make much of a difference. The approaching Ryoken has no such restrictions on its weapons, wrecking LoaderMech right leg, while severing the right arm with a pair of large lasers.

Lich isn't too happy either, being unable to get a shot off on the Ryoken - the clan mech is simply moving too fast and the range is too long, even for the clan-spec PPC his Griffin is packing. His immobile decoy's right arm comes off under pulse laser fire from a Mad Cat, along with all the right torso armor.

Leraje's decoy moves forward, but our mechwarrior rolls his eyes - between the lag and the Ryoken's fast movement, the shot just isn't happening.

Well, let's just say there are some growing pains trying to adjust to the remote control LoaderMechs.

Still, El Guapo manages to land a hit on the approaching Thor, having discarded the Loki and Nobori-Nin as too difficult to hit. The PPC shot grazes a good amount of armor off the left leg, but fails to penetrate. His target breaks left, engaging one of the two Kurita-operated LoaderMechs visible to the north.

Siljanus doesn't bother moving his remote mech, instead choosing to try to fire at an approaching Ryoken to the south, though with little effect.

To the north, weapons fire erupts from the clan mechs approaching the Kurita decoys. One of the Kurita Loadermechs loses an arm and a leg to pulse lasers from a Vulture, dropping to the ground. A pair of LoaderMechs visible from our position take some heavy damage, with one's left arm hanging limp after a PPC blast from the Thor, while another takes a barrage of SRMs from the Man O' War.

Last but not least, WestOrEast's LoaderMech loses an arm to weapons fire from an approaching Loki.

Current battlefield state:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Raw firing/heat data:
Spoiler:
Weapon Attack Phase
-------------------

Weapons fire for Marauder MAD-5SO ID:75 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     ER PPC at Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 9, rolls 10 : hits LL
        Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) takes 10 damage to LL.
            13 Armor remaining.

ER PPC at Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 9, rolls 7 : misses

Gauss Rifle at Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Mackie MSK-8BG ID:78 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     PPC at Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

PPC at Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

Gauss Rifle at Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

Weapons fire for LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:33 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     LRM 5 at Ryoken (Stormcrow) C ID:15 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 11, rolls 9 : misses

Weapons fire for LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     AC/5 at Man O' War (Gargoyle) Prime ID:6 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

Weapons fire for LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     Large Laser at Ryoken (Stormcrow) C ID:15 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 12, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:195 (1st Octopus Overlords)
     LRM 5 at Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses

Weapons fire for Vulture (Mad Dog) Prime ID:2 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 7 : hits LL
        LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 10 damage to LL.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        2 damage transfers to LT.
            Critical hit on LL. Roll is 10; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Heat Sink.
            CRITICAL HIT on Lower Leg.
        LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 9.
        Searchlight destroyed!
            2 Armor remaining.

Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 8 : hits RA
        LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 10 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        3 damage transfers to RT.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is 8; 1 location.
            CRITICAL HIT on Hand.
        LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 3 damage to RT.
            1 Armor remaining.

LRM 20 at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

Weapons fire for Loki (Hellbringer) Prime ID:4 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER PPC at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:39 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 8 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 4 : no fire..

ER Medium Laser at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:39 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 10 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 8 : no fire..

ER Medium Laser at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:39 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 6 : no fire..

Streak SRM 6 at LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:39 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 11 : fails to achieve lock.

Weapons fire for Vulture (Mad Dog) Prime ID:13 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:42 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses

Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:42 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 20 at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:42 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 8 : misses

Weapons fire for Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) A ID:12 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER PPC at LoaderMech PPC-FLU ID:35 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 7 : - Glancing Blow -hits LA
        LoaderMech PPC-FLU ID:35 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 7 damage to LA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
            Critical hit on LA. Roll is (10-2) = 8; 1 location.
            CRITICAL HIT on Upper Arm.

ER PPC at LoaderMech PPC-FLU ID:35 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 9 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Daishi (Dire Wolf) Prime ID:1 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER Large Laser at Orion ON1-K ID:23 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses

ER Large Laser at Orion ON1-K ID:23 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 6 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7 : no fire..

ER Large Laser at Orion ON1-K ID:23 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 11 : - Glancing Blow -hits (using Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) RA
        Orion ON1-K ID:23 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RA.
            19 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) Prime ID:3 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER Large Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:37 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 12 : - Glancing Blow -hits RL
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:37 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 5 damage to RL.
            Armor destroyed.
             3 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on RL. Roll is (5-2) = 3; no effect.

ER Large Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:37 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 12, rolls 9 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 4 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Ryoken (Stormcrow) C ID:15 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:33 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses

LB 10-X AC (Cluster ammo) at LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:33 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 5 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 10 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Man O' War (Gargoyle) Prime ID:6 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     LB 5-X AC at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 3 : misses

LB 5-X AC at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 5 : misses

SRM 6 at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 11 : 4 missile(s) hit.

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to CT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 9.
        Searchlight destroyed!
            4 Armor remaining.

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RA.
            2 Armor remaining.

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to HD.
            0 Armor remaining.

Pilot of LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Ray Ueda" takes 1 damage (1 total hits).
        Pilot of LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Ray Ueda" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 8 : successful!

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RL.
            2 Armor remaining.

SRM 6 at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 9 : - Glancing Blow -2 missile(s) hit (w/ -4 malus).

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LT.
            2 Armor remaining.

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:38 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
            2 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER Large Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 8 : hits RL
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 10 damage to RL.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        2 damage transfers to RT.
            Critical hit on RL. Roll is 10; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Foot.
            CRITICAL HIT on Lower Leg.
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 4.
            2 Armor remaining.

ER Large Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 6, rolls 9 : - Direct Blow - hits RA
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 11 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        4 damage transfers to RT.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is (11+1) = 12;LIMB BLOWN OFF Right Arm blown off.
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 4 damage to RT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 3.
            Armor destroyed.
             3 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on RT. Roll is (12+1) = 13; 3 locations.
            Location has no more hittable critical slots.

ER Medium Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses

ER Medium Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 4 : misses

ER Medium Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 8, rolls 2 : misses

Weapons fire for Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) B ID:11 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     Large Pulse Laser at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:190 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 7, rolls 12 : - Direct Blow - hits (using Partial cover (horizontal 50%) table) RA
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:190 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 11 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
        4 damage transfers to RT.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is (5+1) = 6; no effect.
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:190 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 4 damage to RT.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 8.
        Searchlight destroyed!
            0 Armor remaining.

Gauss Rifle at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:190 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 5 : misses

LRM 10 ((Clan) Artemis-capable ammo) at LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:190 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 9, rolls 4 : misses

Weapons fire for Loki (Hellbringer) Prime ID:9 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER PPC at LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:195 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 9 : misses

Weapons fire for Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER PPC at LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 10 : - Glancing Blow -hits RA
        LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 7 damage to RA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
            Critical hit on RA. Roll is (4-2) = 2; no effect.

LRM 15 at LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

LB 10-X AC at LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses

Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 5 : no fire..

Weapons fire for Nobori-nin (Huntsman) B ID:8 (Clan Smoke Jaguar)
     ER PPC at LoaderMech ML-FLU ID:191 (1st Octopus Overlords); needs 11, rolls 11 : - Glancing Blow -hits LA
        LoaderMech ML-FLU ID:191 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 7 damage to LA.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
            Critical hit on LA. Roll is (10-2) = 8; 1 location.
            CRITICAL HIT on Hand.

LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) must make 3 piloting skill roll(s) (leg/foot actuator hit; leg destroyed; 20+ damage).
The base target is 6 [6 (Base piloting skill)].
    Roll #1, (leg destroyed); automatically fails.
     LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) falls on its left side, suffering 2 damage.
        LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to LA.
            2 Armor remaining.

Pilot of LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Hyancinthe Zorbas" must roll 13 to avoid damage; rolls 9 : fails.
        Pilot of LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Hyancinthe Zorbas" takes 1 damage (1 total hits).
        Pilot of LoaderMech LL-FLU ID:44 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Hyancinthe Zorbas" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 8 : successful!

LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) must make 4 piloting skill roll(s) (leg/foot actuator hit; leg/foot actuator hit; leg destroyed; 20+ damage).
The base target is 7 [5 (Base piloting skill) + 2 (Sprinting)].
    Roll #1, (leg destroyed); automatically fails.
     LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) falls on its rear, suffering 2 damage.
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RL.
        2 damage transfers to RTR.
        LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) takes 2 damage to RTR.
        Needs 7+ to destroy Searchlight, rolls 7.
        Searchlight destroyed!
            Armor destroyed.
             2 Internal Structure remaining.
            Critical hit on RT. Roll is 5; no effect.

Pilot of LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Man-u Myers" must roll 15 to avoid damage; rolls 5 : fails.
        Pilot of LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Man-u Myers" takes 1 damage (1 total hits).
        Pilot of LoaderMech SRM6-FLU ID:189 (1st Octopus Overlords) "Man-u Myers" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 7 : successful!

Heat Phase
-------------------
Crusader CRD-3LD ID:49 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Thug THG-11EO ID:69 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Thunderbolt TDR-5SE ID:73 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 4 heat, sinks 4 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Marauder MAD-5SO ID:75 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 32 heat, sinks 30 heat and is now at 2 heat.
Mackie MSK-8BG ID:78 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 21 heat, sinks 21 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Black Knight BL-6b-KNTC ID:101 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Hatamoto-Hi HTM-27U ID:103 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Trebuchet TBT-3C ID:110 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Griffin GRF-3MO ID:186 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 3 heat, sinks 3 heat and is now at 0 heat.
BattleMaster BLR-1G ID:21 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Awesome AWS-8Q ID:22 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Orion ON1-K ID:23 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Marauder MAD-3R ID:24 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Warhammer WHM-6R ID:25 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Archer ARC-2R ID:26 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 1 heat, sinks 1 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Thunderbolt TDR-5S ID:27 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Crusader CRD-3R ID:28 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Wolverine WVR-6R ID:29 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H ID:30 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Wolf Trap (Tora) WFT-1 ID:31 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 ID:32 (1st Octopus Overlords) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Daishi (Dire Wolf) Prime ID:1 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 38 heat, sinks 38 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vulture (Mad Dog) Prime ID:2 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 28 heat, sinks 24 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) Prime ID:3 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 26 heat, sinks 26 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Loki (Hellbringer) Prime ID:4 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 27 heat, sinks 26 heat and is now at 1 heat.
Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:5 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Man O' War (Gargoyle) Prime ID:6 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Thor (Summoner) Prime ID:7 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 24 heat, sinks 24 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Nobori-nin (Huntsman) B ID:8 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Loki (Hellbringer) Prime ID:9 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Subtracting 2 heat due to combat computer...
Black Hawk (Nova) Prime ID:10 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) B ID:11 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 17 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) A ID:12 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 32 heat, sinks 32 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Vulture (Mad Dog) Prime ID:13 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 28 heat, sinks 24 heat and is now at 4 heat.
Ryoken (Stormcrow) Prime ID:14 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 41 heat, sinks 41 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Ryoken (Stormcrow) C ID:15 (Clan Smoke Jaguar) gains 14 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 0 heat.
Hostile target modifiers:
All clan mechs are at +3, except for Daishi and the two northern Mad Cats, which are at +2.

Status update:
Loader Mech (PXH1 DECOY), left leg, right arm destroyed
Loader Mech (TheMix DECOY), right leg, right arm destroyed
Loader Mech (Lich DECOY), right arm destroyed
LoaderMech (CRD-3R DECOY), right arm destroyed
LoaderMech (WestOrEast DECOY), left arm destroyed

Note that the LoaderMechs are not subject to the "forced withdrawal" rule (not that any would be right now, anyway).
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm pleasantly surprised. (Did our instructions get overruled, or is there stuff in the engine that prevented them from happening? I don't mind the former since I consider you (NickA) to be the battlefield commander here. Just curious.)

I definitely didn't expect all the decoys to survive through to the next round. Though it appears I don't have to fret about making movement choices.

Also, I don't see anything for my Kurita decoy instructions. It doesn't look it turned or fired. The Gargoyle looks plenty close enough. Did I miss something?

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

... Can the decoys do melee? And does melee tie up a mech from shooting?

In any case, I think we should take the chance and try to delete that Black Hawk while it's in the open. Most of our mechs can get a shot with our bigger guns.

Mix, maybe try to reverse your decoy to lure the other Thor and Man-O-War over the mines?
WestorEast

Post by WestorEast »

I'll join in on firing on the Black Hawk with any of my four that in range.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm Mix, maybe try to reverse your decoy to lure the other Thor and Man-O-War over the mines?
I can try. At least that one still has legs. They are going to blow it to bits long before they get to the mines, but maybe pulling them out of position a bit will keep them out of the woods?

Also, is it worth setting the woods on fire to make them take the open route? Is that a thing that's done?

Edit: So... maybe, instead of backing up, just dropping down two spaces to 2018 and firing the AC/5 to make sure I get their attention?

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

WestorEast wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:29 pm I'll join in on firing on the Black Hawk with any of my four that in range.
It looks like my decoy is probably worth abandoning. The only weapon I have that can reach Nova is my LRM/10, assuming that it doesn't move closer and I don't break cover. I will need to add a rotation if it moves any further south/southeast. But I'm game. I think I have one round before I have to worry about Huntsman and Hellbringer.

Black Lives Matter

moleymoleymoley

What happens when a decoy explodes? If it's a multi hex thing then leraje and archer decoy could do with overloading and going for a hug with the clanners nearest to them.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:42 pm What happens when a decoy explodes? If it's a multi hex thing then leraje and archer decoy could do with overloading and going for a hug with the clanners nearest to them.
Good point. I kind of dismissed that. They will go first, right? The odds of a decoy making it close enough seems slim. I'm more hoping that my down decoy will get ignored and a Clan mech will move up next to it thinking that there is no risk.

Black Lives Matter

moleymoleymoley

Oh wow I forgot about setting fires :shock: would be a great way to block Los from the ER clan weaponry, I'm thinking to move to 2726, facing south, and fire my LL then LRMs at the black hawk, then maybe a ML at the forest 2425 to try and set it on fire, so the only way they can get shots off at us is to come through the south gap 2528.

Guap and isgrim to move south with us when they get chance?
moleymoleymoley

TheMix wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:52 pm
moleymoleymoley wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:42 pm What happens when a decoy explodes? If it's a multi hex thing then leraje and archer decoy could do with overloading and going for a hug with the clanners nearest to them.
Good point. I kind of dismissed that. They will go first, right? The odds of a decoy making it close enough seems slim. I'm more hoping that my down decoy will get ignored and a Clan mech will move up next to it thinking that there is no risk.
IIRC you prime the overload the turn before and it explodes the next turn, would be lovely to get one swarmed by some elementals just before it goes boom
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Setting woods on fire: yes, you can do it intentionally. Best done with energy weapons - you roll a pretty easy attack roll, then another pretty easy "set on fire" roll (don't remember the numbers off hand), then it catches on fire and generates three adjacent hexes of smoke. In this case, it'll be to the northeast of the hex that's getting set on fire. You can only set woods on fire (on this map, anyway).

Smoke acts exactly like woods for blocking line of sight, but doesn't impede movement. Walking through a fire hex generates 2 heat, standing in it generates 5 heat, so it's not a very major deterrent to clanner double heat sink mechs.

Self destruction: Based on the TacOps rule, we're talking engine rating / 10 (round up) damage to adjacent hexes. Engine rating on these things is not very high (20 tons, 2 walk MP), so the damage is going to be pretty low, but it's something. You declare detonation on your turn and then it (probably, with a PSR) blows up after the following movement phase (with all the weapons fire). Also, any unit in the mech's hex is destroyed and the hex is set on fire (so you can use this to blow up elementals). We'll rule that you can trigger self-destruction without it counting as "moving the mech" (unless you also move the mech), meaning you can hit the self-destruct on a LoaderMech and then drive your own.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Thanks. I probably should have clarified. I say in your original gameplay notes that it could be done. It was more of a "is this a valid strategy that we should be thinking about doing" thing. :D

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh. Though I did miss "following movement phase" if it was mentioned originally. That makes it a bit more interesting. Might actually be worth turning it into a walking bomb and moving it to the spot you want it to blow up.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TheMix wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:02 pm Also, I don't see anything for my Kurita decoy instructions. It doesn't look it turned or fired. The Gargoyle looks plenty close enough. Did I miss something?
Nevermind. I think this was it. I was just looking for a name.
Weapons fire for LoaderMech AC5-FLU ID:40 (1st Octopus Overlords)
AC/5 at Man O' War (Gargoyle) Prime ID:6 (Clan Smoke Jaguar); needs 11, rolls 8 : missed

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm ... Can the decoys do melee? And does melee tie up a mech from shooting?
Yes, decoys can do melee. All their weapons are in the torso, so they can punch and kick after shooting as usual. They basically behave exactly as regular mechs, except, on a given turn, you can operate only your mech or the remote-controlled one.
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:09 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:03 pm ... Can the decoys do melee? And does melee tie up a mech from shooting?
Yes, decoys can do melee. All their weapons are in the torso, so they can punch and kick after shooting as usual. They basically behave exactly as regular mechs, except, on a given turn, you can operate only your mech or the remote-controlled one.
Sorry about the questions, but I have a couple more :wink:

1) Do we block LoS/provide cover to our enemies against our own allies' shooting? Do we provide cover from the enemy to allies behind us?
2) Does melee do anything to make shooting into or out of it harder?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:16 pm 1) Do we block LoS/provide cover to our enemies against our own allies' shooting? Do we provide cover from the enemy to allies behind us?
2) Does melee do anything to make shooting into or out of it harder?
Nope x3

(there's technically a "missed shots" rule in TacOps that lets "stray" shots hit other targets, but it's not implemented in MegaMek)
Black Lives Matter