14%
No!
46%

Total votes: 37

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Poll: Will you boycott Blizzard?

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 amThere are no Blizzard games coming out in 2021 that I want (more accurately - there are none at all coming out in 2021.)
...he says, one week after the release of D2: Resurrected.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 amThere are no Blizzard games coming out in 2021 that I want (more accurately - there are none at all coming out in 2021.)
...he says, one week after the release of D2: Resurrected.
O---------------->
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 pm This is all that matters:

Enlarge Image

If not buying a game translates to lower revenues which translates to a lower share price, or committing to not buying a game translates to lower guidance which translates to a lower share price, ATVI will act. If not, they won't.
which translates into layoffs at some point to possibly innocent people or the victims themselves
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

In addition to the company's history of sexual abuse, there is Blizzard's taking action against a Hearthstone player for saying something that offended the Chinese Communist Party.

I haven't bought a Blizzard game since Starcraft 1. If I do buy one, I'll pay as much money (or more) to an organization such as RAINN that deals with the consequences.

In fact, I'll do that now because I recently bought Star Control: Origins, a Stardock game.

Edit: corrected the link.
Last edited by Hipolito on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's not a bad approach at all. Funny how these issues can be something other than black-and-white.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

naednek wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:08 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 pmIf not buying a game translates to lower revenues which translates to a lower share price, or committing to not buying a game translates to lower guidance which translates to a lower share price, ATVI will act. If not, they won't.
which translates into layoffs at some point to possibly innocent people or the victims themselves
If creating an environment like what's been described at Blizzard results in the business sinking, I'm okay with that. All of those people will be inconvenienced and harmed, and some may be innocent - but life will move on and the lessons learned there should be a warning to other businesses, creating better working conditions for more future employees than those who were harmed in the making of the lesson.

It's like OSHA and most safety regulations. Someone had to die or be seriously harmed for there to be a new rule about whatever it was they did, and now we're all safer.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 pm That's not a bad approach at all.
Concur. Great idea.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sort of like a carbon offset. It isn't a perfect solution, and doesn't directly address the issue, but it does balance out such a purchase. Even more so if we make it known that we're doing so.

Again, not everybody is going to be able to address every single social issue. Nobody has that kind of time/financial/mental resources. Especially if they're not the type to just take others' word on what is good and bad and prefer to look at the evidence and decide for themselves. We do what we can, more on those that hit close to home, less on others.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

:)
naednek wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:08 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 pm This is all that matters:

Enlarge Image

If not buying a game translates to lower revenues which translates to a lower share price, or committing to not buying a game translates to lower guidance which translates to a lower share price, ATVI will act. If not, they won't.
Sounds like something Bobby Kotick would say.

You don't perpetuate a toxic environment because some people may lose their jobs. And it's not strictly a binary choice. Threats of lower revenues can spur action before they actually become reality. Ideally a boycott changes corporate behavior rather than destroys a business.

But even if it led to layoffs, do you think someone working there would rather be sexually assaulted/harassed or laid off? How about their coworkers? "You can keep your job and we will continue to harass and demean women or you can get laid off and it ends...."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hipolito wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm In addition to the company's history of sexual abuse, there is Blizzard's taking action against a Hearthstone player for saying something that offended the Chinese Communist Party.

To do,l for October 8, 2021. Sign up for Hearthstone, start ripping the CCP in chat.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:37 pm
Hipolito wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm In addition to the company's history of sexual abuse, there is Blizzard's taking action against a Hearthstone player for saying something that offended the Chinese Communist Party.

To do,l for October 8, 2021. Sign up for Hearthstone, start ripping the CCP in chat.
Sounds like something I would do.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm not sure Blizzard cares in the slightest if you rip on China if you don't happen to be a famous gamer from Hong Kong that does it right after they win a Blizzard tournament on a Blizzard livestream.