Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, I have come to realize that the Lord of the Ring franchise suffers from the same issue. I was thinking about other similar works and I wonder if that's just common in this genre?
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I was thinking about that, too. The author of the linked piece touches on it a bit, but I think it's probably just easiest to tell a long-scale story without having to worry about the technological advancements that might be occurring.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:06 pm Oh, ffs. Now we have Asian dragons? Enough of this woke series. /s
Can you honestly say that in real life, you ever been entertained by a dragon more than you are with an Asian dragon during Chinese New Year?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:33 pm The new dragon was oddly reminiscent of Asian mythology's version of dragons. It had a slim, snake like body instead of the usual look that resembles the squat, dog like body with wings found in most western representations. I wonder if that was intentional.
Can we keep things accurate, PLEASE?

Obviously the distinction here is between chromatic and metallic dragons.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:18 pm To be fair, I have come to realize that the Lord of the Ring franchise suffers from the same issue. I was thinking about other similar works and I wonder if that's just common in this genre?
Tolkien has the complete rise and fall of various civilizations, at least. There are hints in the Silmarillion that the Numenoreans develop something close to steam power before their collapse. And then there's Saruman's development of machines that are probably also steam-powered.

For JRRT, all of that leads inexorably to WW1.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:04 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:33 pm The new dragon was oddly reminiscent of Asian mythology's version of dragons. It had a slim, snake like body instead of the usual look that resembles the squat, dog like body with wings found in most western representations. I wonder if that was intentional.
Can we keep things accurate, PLEASE?

Obviously the distinction here is between chromatic and metallic dragons.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well...things got weird last night. Can't say I saw that plot development coming and I'm not really sure what to make of Daemon any more. I can't help but shake the idea that he's up to something. :D

Also, I feel like the scene where everyone is lined up to speak with Rhaenyra and there's an altercation likely means something bigger in the GoT universe and it went over my head. Like the people involved are connected to a much larger story in the GoT universe and what happened might have started it? Or maybe I'm just making that up.

And they really keep coming back to that Weirwood tree. I think it's been in every episode. Clearly something big happens with it (to it?) because it's no longer in King's Landing.

I guess it took a week or two, but the internet figured out a connection between the Crabfeeder and GoT - it totally went over my head as well.
Spoiler:
The mask the Crabfeeder was wearing is the same style mask worn by the Sons of the Harpy in S5 and S6 of GoT (half animal / half man)
This week's episode was back to a slower pace, but I'm still enjoying it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:25 am Also, I feel like the scene where everyone is lined up to speak with Rhaenyra and there's an altercation likely means something bigger in the GoT universe and it went over my head. Like the people involved are connected to a much larger story in the GoT universe and what happened might have started it? Or maybe I'm just making that up.
I don't think they even mentioned who the heckler was, so the fact that he got stabbed to death in the background is probably a sign he wasn't important to the plot. I think it's more an indication of how quickly things get out of hand because they constantly practice for war but have no outlet for it, like they said at the tourney.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I figured maybe the other guy was wearing something that identified him (colors) for hardcore fans, but yeah - things went from zero to sixty in like 4 seconds.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So it looks like they are setting up:
Spoiler:
Rhaenyra does not drink the day after tea, gets preggers with guard captain's baby and everyone blames Daemon. Maybe that screws up her wedding to the white dreadlock family.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well they finally gave Hepcat a taste of what he wanted with this week's episode.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

There are jokes one could make here but they might be too hot for OO.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sudy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:26 pm There are jokes one could make here but they might be too hot for OO.
Please give em to me!!!! I need something exciting to live for!!!! :wub:

I was actually enjoying last night's episode a lot up until it got a little too uncomfortable even for me. Thankfully they turned it around soon after in what may have been the most unromantic hot scene ever.
Spoiler:
When she finally got around to doing my hot guy, that undressing scene was torture lol. I was like are they going to spend an hour removing 100 pieces of armor?!?!?
The characters are kind of growing on me, not substantially, but more than the first couple eps.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

All I could think is things were probably a little ripe under all that.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seals in the flavor.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:38 pm Thankfully they turned it around soon after in what may have been the most unromantic hot scene ever.
I was thinking how great the writing/acting was.
Spoiler:
In the scene before, things were progressing until she turned the tables and became more aggressive - completely changing the power dynamic. And once she did, her partner lost the ability to continue. In the scene you're referring to, she was the aggressor and you could see in his face and posture he was uncomfortable with it (at first).
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:47 pm Well they finally gave Hepcat a taste of what he wanted with this week's episode.
Gonna watch it tonight. I'm assuming that I'm in for some hair metal incest at some point. However, I was fully aware that this show would eventually become a Larry Flynt production of Oedipus Rex.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:47 pm Well they finally gave Hepcat a taste of what he wanted with this week's episode.
Gonna watch it tonight. I'm assuming that I'm in for some hair metal incest at some point. However, I was fully aware that this show would eventually become a Larry Flynt production of Oedipus Rex.
Here's the question. If they made a season in the GoT universe about the Targaryans at the height of their dynasty and included zero incest, would they get complaints? Probably would, right?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

True. The pro incest lobby in this country is quite vocal, as evidenced in our current political clime.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Wow, quite the episode this week before the time jump. I really didn't get the final, final scene which is very short. It makes no sense to me that they would do that then and there, and the post credits interview explanation didn't satisfy me.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jag

Post by Jag »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:23 pm Wow, quite the episode this week before the time jump. I really didn't get the final, final scene which is very short. It makes no sense to me that they would do that then and there, and the post credits interview explanation didn't satisfy me.
If that was just the "week before" dinner, can you imagine the number of deaths in the week up to and including the wedding : :D Viserys was like "Get this shit done before my ulcer erupts....again.

I'm loving the show. They are really doing the story justice.

Although in the book
Spoiler:
Cole kills Joffrey in a tournament. Which makes much more sense
The best is yet to come!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Jag wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:57 pm If that was just the "week before" dinner, can you imagine the number of deaths in the week up to and including the wedding : :D Viserys was like "Get this shit done before my ulcer erupts....again.
LOL. Fair enough.
I'm loving the show. They are really doing the story justice.
I love it too. I feel so spoiled getting this and LOTR at the same time.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

2 things stuck out for me in this last episode.

1) I feel better about the queen’s safety with Ray Donovan on the show now.

2) also, why does Larys look about 10 years older than his father. And it’s not just the haggard look.

But when all is said and done, the show has finally given me a character I’m interested in.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Viserys does not keep tight security. That party had a fight thaw t lasted about three minutes with no security intervention at all. Plus, who is manning the door? Wasn't Daemon on the "do not admit" list?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:23 pm Wow, quite the episode this week before the time jump. I really didn't get the final, final scene which is very short.
Spoiler:
The rat, having ingested Targaryen blood, can now command dragons. This will lead to the rise of the Rat Kingdom and their mortal enemies, the Feline People of Cat-erly Rock.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 pm
JCC wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:23 pm Wow, quite the episode this week before the time jump. I really didn't get the final, final scene which is very short.
Spoiler:
The rat, having ingested Targaryen blood, can now command dragons. This will lead to the rise of the Rat Kingdom and their mortal enemies, the Feline People of Cat-erly Rock.
Look, man, you just have to accept that they're not filming your scripts.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:05 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:29 pm
Spoiler:
Look, man, you just have to accept that they're not filming your scripts.
Ha! Jokes on you, pal. Who do you think got Ray Donovan on the show?
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Just read this is averaging 29 million viewers per episode. For some context, the first season of GoT averaged 11 million per episode. The final season of GoT averaged 44 million~! per episode.

Either way, the show is a huge success. I think they might keep making it.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Season two was announced about a month ago.
Hodor.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

rittchard wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:38 pm The characters are kind of growing on me, not substantially, but more than the first couple eps.
Still having a lot of trouble with that. In GoT the Starks were instantly people you liked and when one died you felt sadness because of it. So far in this show I don't like anyone. It's easy enough to hate Daemon (honestly, he's super creepy in every scene) as was said earlier there's no one I'd be bummed if they killed off. There is one person I quite like on the show, though.
Spoiler:
Daemon's wife Lady Rhea Rhoyce but she's dead already.
Otherwise I'm pretty meh on everyone. Hopefully the older versions of the characters are more likable as I am not sure how long I'll watch just on disliking Daemon. I need someone to cheer for.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think that's an interesting part of HotD and a key contrast from GoT. In GoT, though they were hardly perfect at all times, the Stark family were clearly the "good guys". HotD, on the other hand, doesn't have good guys. It has characters who are sometimes good and sometimes bad (and some of them certainly seem to sway one way more than another), but it's not the heroic family saga of GoT. I suspect we're not going to get someone rising up as the unquestioned good guy of HotD.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:49 pm All I could think is things were probably a little ripe under all that.
Hilarious! I said those exact words to my wife as we were watching it. ‘Bet he smells GREAT!’ :P

Especially having just read the The Hedge Knight recently where half the book was spent describing in excruciating detail how heat affects the human body wearing armor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:38 pm I think that's an interesting part of HotD and a key contrast from GoT. In GoT, though they were hardly perfect at all times, the Stark family were clearly the "good guys". HotD, on the other hand, doesn't have good guys. It has characters who are sometimes good and sometimes bad (and some of them certainly seem to sway one way more than another), but it's not the heroic family saga of GoT. I suspect we're not going to get someone rising up as the unquestioned good guy of HotD.
Yeah, although even then there was plenty to dislike about the Starks. A *lot* of people in the GoT universe are dead because of Ned Stark's semi-arbitrary sense of honor.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think it's the difference between "flawed heroes" and "anti-heroes".
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, that's true.

And the other thing is that part of the reason why the Starks are cast as the heroes in the early going is that Martin was specifically playing off of fantasy tropes. E.g., everyone expects Ned Stark, the honorable man trying to do right in a corrupt world, to overcome and triumph. Oh wait, he got his head chopped off. Oh, so we're in a story where the brave young son bravely fights to avenge his noble father. Oh wait, he's dead too.

But House of the Dragon definitely isn't doing that story (and it would be boring if it repeated the same story framework), so less need for the heroic side.
Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm not asking for a hero. Just someone that matters to me. None of them are people I like. Daemon is the only one who elicits any feeling from me and that's just revulsion. I'm not invested in any character on the show. It's the reason I stopped watching Raised by Wolves. Perhaps that changes with the time jump.

I think that's also why there are some movies I just don't care for. (No Country For Old Men, The Power of the Dog). They only give you people to dislike but there aren't others who are likable.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:07 am I think that's also why there are some movies I just don't care for. (No Country For Old Men, The Power of the Dog). They only give you people to dislike but there aren't others who are likable.
I feel like you didn't actually watch No Country for Old Men. That or you weren't paying attention when the character Ed Tom Bell appeared.

But even were it true that there were no likeable/good characters in No Country for Old Men, I have no issues with movies that have no good characters as long as they're written well.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Eeyargh, I wish people would be careful what they say. I just had a potential turn of events spoiled with a comment from a carefully non-spoiler source that they would miss [performer], as they were likely leaving the show after another episode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rule number one of trying to avoid spoilers about a popular show: keep away from yahoo news. They’ll put the names of characters who die right in the goddamn headlines of their news snippets.
Covfefe!