Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Post by Zaxxon »

First teaser is out, show debuts in 2022. Time for a thread!

Despite the lackluster ending to the main GoT series, I am 100% in for this one.
hepcat

Re: Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon [HBO]

Post by hepcat »

Sheesh, everyone looks like they're auditioning for a Whitesnake cover band.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Matt Smith?! I'm in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seems so strange to me to see Matt Smith in a Game of Thrones role.

And I just picked up the first prequel novel, Fire & Blood. Guess I better get to it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like Matt Smith. I think he made a great Doctor. However, I don't think he has the range of a David Tennant. What I mean is that I can watch David Tennant in the Fright Night remake, or Good Omens on Amazon, and I don't think to myself, "I'm watching Doctor Who playing a different character!". I can't say the same for Matt Smith though.

However, that's probably just me. By all accounts, he was great on The Crown. And I know he's done a ton of other stuff too.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:48 pm However, that's probably just me. By all accounts, he was great on The Crown. And I know he's done a ton of other stuff too.
Reading your first paragraph I was dumbfounded. (How can he say that?!) But you haven't seen the Crown! Also while it was a bad movie, he was nothing like the Doctor in the (very bad) Terminator movie he was in. I really can't recall other things he has been in since DW - I must have missed them. I know there was one where he played an American photographer I think - but I never saw it. I suspect that isn't much like his Doctor portrayal either.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:48 pm However, that's probably just me. By all accounts, he was great on The Crown. And I know he's done a ton of other stuff too.
Reading your first paragraph I was dumbfounded.
That should be the default setting for anything I write.
Covfefe!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:08 pm Sheesh, everyone looks like they're auditioning for a Whitesnake cover band.
That is the funniest thing I've seen in at least a week. Almost made me forget that one of the characters looks like a bad attempt at cosplaying Henry Cavill's Witcher. Almost.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm sure I will watch it, but I would be more interested in a Lady Stoneheart sequel.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Think I'll be watching this (though I'll wait til they get done to subscribe so I can watch it when I feel like, not have to wait - assuming they do the 1 show/week thing).
Holman

Post by Holman »

It seems like the big question is how this new series relates to HBO's shitting on GOT's final season. Who is doing this new one, and how do they account for what happened with that?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:24 pm It seems like the big question is how this new series relates to HBO's shitting on GOT's final season. Who is doing this new one, and how do they account for what happened with that?
Isn't this a prequel? With Dany's demise, House Targaryen is nearly extinct.

Martin has already written much of the pre-history; a sequel would be something created whole cloth. The question is how compelling they can make it, as we know the dramatic climax. The dragon wars would involve some pretty intense cinematography.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:24 pm It seems like the big question is how this new series relates to HBO's shitting on GOT's final season. Who is doing this new one, and how do they account for what happened with that?
If it's not the same people running this one and being a prequel, why would they need to account for what happened, in the future of the story line by another team of writers/show runners?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:38 pm
Isn't this a prequel? With Dany's demise, House Targaryen is nearly extinct.

Martin has already written much of the pre-history; a sequel would be something created whole cloth. The question is how compelling they can make it, as we know the dramatic climax. The dragon wars would involve some pretty intense cinematography.
I don't mean "How do they continue the story" (I know it's a prequel) but "How do we know they won't botch it again?"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 amI don't mean "How do they continue the story" (I know it's a prequel) but "How do we know they won't botch it again?"
The answer is we don't, but...

1) the source material is complete in this case. Not as detailed as the main story, but the outlines, start-to-finish, are in place. No missing out with GRRM failing to keep up.
2) It's not DB & David this time. It's Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will happily watch anything as ‘botched’ (or more!) as GoT supposedly was. That was amazing TV imo.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 am
Holman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 amI don't mean "How do they continue the story" (I know it's a prequel) but "How do we know they won't botch it again?"

1) the source material is complete in this case. Not as detailed as the main story, but the outlines, start-to-finish, are in place. No missing out with GRRM failing to keep up.
And as such, they don't have such complicated, convoluted storylines to manage. I would expect a much smaller cast and this to be a more direct drama.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:06 am

And as such, they don't have such complicated, convoluted storylines to manage. I would expect a much smaller cast and this to be a more direct drama.
As long as they don't CW it, I will probably be happy.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There is the chance that a reduced number of storylines might mean some find none of interest. But with this being HBO, and them well aware of the production values needed to hit another home run, I don't think the plots will be sappy and geared towards LCD viewers.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

All this talk about a new GoT series. I just want the next fucking book, song, whatever you want to call it, in the almost absurdly amazing Ice and Fire series. Is that too much to ask?!!? &^@#%^&@#%&^ (< not as angry as this ranty post makes me seem)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 am All this talk about a new GoT series. I just want the next fucking book, song, whatever you want to call it, in the almost absurdly amazing Ice and Fire series. Is that too much to ask?!!? &^@#%^&@#%&^ (< not as angry as this ranty post makes me seem)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:51 am All this talk about a new GoT series. I just want the next fucking book, song, whatever you want to call it, in the almost absurdly amazing Ice and Fire series. Is that too much to ask?!!? &^@#%^&@#%&^ (< not as angry as this ranty post makes me seem)
It's just as close now as it was in 2015 or 2016, man.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm
It's just as close now as it was in 2015 or 2016, man.
:grund:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just how many winters have we had since? :D Hodor can only hold the door for so long before he finishes it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey, watch the spoilers!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Statute of limitations, man. Chewbacca is Han's father. Sephiroth kills Cait Sith.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

Again GRRM will never finish it. He should just hand his notes off to Brandon Sanderson now. That way he might live to see it finished. Since I am sure the much maligned final season (which I thought was mostly fine) probably followed GRRM's outline/plans closely, I am sure he is frantically trying to come up with a new final ending - all the while trying to come up with the words to get him there. If he publishes even one more book in the series, I will be surprised.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Sudy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 pm Statute of limitations, man. Chewbacca is Han's father. Sephiroth kills Cait Sith.
Dude, everyone knows Cait Sith is a robot. He can't die, just like Iron Man.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Man, you'd make a killing if you opened up a hair dye salon in their city....
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I assume Matt Smith will be able to pull it off. He was very good in The Crown and didn't remind me of Dr. Who at all.

The issue will be whether this truly feels like a different era or just a retread of the first series. It definitely *looks* like the earlier series, but what we need to see is that the main characters aren't just copies of Ned & Tyrion & Dany & Arya & Cersei & etc.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Trailer

MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm only here for hepcat's one-liners.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got a bad feeling about this. But at least it will be better than that LOTR hot mess.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:49 pm I assume Matt Smith will be able to pull it off. He was very good in The Crown and didn't remind me of Dr. Who at all.

The issue will be whether this truly feels like a different era or just a retread of the first series. It definitely *looks* like the earlier series, but what we need to see is that the main characters aren't just copies of Ned & Tyrion & Dany & Arya & Cersei & etc.
My main worry with this is that it'll be plagued by the same thing that plagues almost every attempt to build on an existing universe - the paralyzing fear that studio executives get when people want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't exactly like something that they previously made which made money. In particular here, it's easy to see how Game of Thrones season 8 being so poorly received made HBO executives nervous, which leads to them canceling The Long Night because it was very different from Game of Thrones, and then trying to make this as much like Game of Thrones as possible.
Black Lives Matter.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well that's definitely a trailer.

I don't like these fake blondes. It reminds me of the first Thor in which they dyed Hemsworth's eyebrows.
Last edited by Sudy on Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I clearly labeled it as such so you wouldn't be confused into thinking it was another teaser trailer. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:34 am

My main worry with this is that it'll be plagued by the same thing that plagues almost every attempt to build on an existing universe - the paralyzing fear that studio executives get when people want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't exactly like something that they previously made which made money. In particular here, it's easy to see how Game of Thrones season 8 being so poorly received made HBO executives nervous, which leads to them canceling The Long Night because it was very different from Game of Thrones, and then trying to make this as much like Game of Thrones as possible.
Which leads it to being a kind of existential paradox. At the very least, I'd hope it would be a lesson learned for HBO regarding GoT's shortened 8th season in what not to do. If they were so short on content, they should have maybe sought the advice of GRRRM himself or put him on the writing staff which could in theory also have spurred him into writing his final volume.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I hope they don't focus on dragons, which they do in the trailer. The dragons in GoT were cool and all, but it was the political intrigue that made the show so great. For awhile at least.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just want 20, maybe 30 percent less incest.
Covfefe!