[HBOMAX] Peacemaker

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [HBOMAX] Peacemaker

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm
I immediately thought of you when they dropped that reference.
Is that a height joke, you son of a bitch!?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I finished the other two and enjoyed them tremendously. Crying in bed to Firehouse was really well done...and the subsequent springboard into Louis CK. Also, jumping from various balconies and hurting himself every time made me chuckle. There was a real Jackass thing happening there for me. :D

If you described this all to me I'd think it sounded ridiculous, but somehow it all works. Especially the Judomaster. And Peacemakers extended discussion on homunculi. It has a little bit of a Venture Bros. vibe to it, which is great.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can definitely see the Venture Bros influence now that you mention it.

It's the little details that pushes this thing over the top into hilarious. Like
Spoiler:
Judo Master and his love of snacks...and subsequent refusal to share them with anyone, the side conversations (like the Doll Man discussion) that we are privy to...sometimes mid conversation, and the whole discussion on how important the pinky toe is and the ensuing torture scene.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:13 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:00 pm
I immediately thought of you when they dropped that reference.
Is that a height joke, you son of a bitch!?
Well, you are a two foot tall imp that stans Batman.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Imp??? I prefer the term "magically enabled" (not to be confused with leprechauns who are "magically delicious").
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm Y Also, jumping from various balconies and hurting himself every time made me chuckle. There was a real Jackass thing happening there for me. :D

If you described this all to me I'd think it sounded ridiculous, but somehow it all works.
The entire balcony scene I was wondering why he didn't at least try and land on his feet. But then I realized that's just the genius of the scene and it's what makes the character and I chuckled even more.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My only issue with this is we keep hearing how dangerous he is. That he's a great killing machine and that's why he was included on the Squad. But what we're getting is Larry Fine on a bad day.

I hope they at least try to show that he's a highly trained killer at some point.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm My only issue with this is we keep hearing how dangerous he is. That he's a great killing machine and that's why he was included on the Squad. But what we're getting is Larry Fine on a bad day.

I hope they at least try to show that he's a highly trained killer at some point.
This. This has been bugging me the whole series.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, even if they don't, it's still incredibly entertaining and funny. But Gunn is one of those rare directors who can tonally shift on a dime...and make it work, so I'm hoping we get that in season 1. An episode in which they show us why he's earned his reputation as a killing machine.

But even if they don't, bad ass superheroes are a dime a dozen. I'll take this happily.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Many appliances died to bring us proof of Peacemaker's skill with weapons.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now that I think about it, it could just be the result of his loss of purpose. Following the movie, he's a man who now questions who he once was. That would explain much of his ineptitude now as he second thinks every action he takes.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:29 pm Now that I think about it, it could just be the result of his loss of purpose. Following the movie, he's a man who now questions who he once was. That would explain much of his ineptitude now as he second thinks every action he takes.
I mean to be fair he did kill
Spoiler:
The butterfly chick and the Senator, with the Senator's fight being pretty inventive on Peacemaker's part
So I think they've shown his potential.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In the first fight, his dad really won because of the weapon (which , let's face it, didn't really require any expertise); in the second, it wasn't exactly a graceful ballet of death. :wink:

But as I said, I'm not saying the show is anything less than great! I was just questioning something I thought was off, but now I'm beginning to think is actually on course after all.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My take is that Peacemaker's whole "willing to kill as many men, women and children as it takes" schtick oversells how far he's willing to go to get the job done. If we take The Suicide Squad as canon for the show, we've seen him kill without a second thought (the whole Ratcatcher thing aside), but he doesn't really seem to actually enjoy killing in the way that Vigilante does. It's possible the whole reason for Vigilante being in the show is to provide a contrast between who Peacemaker is and who he could be if he went all-in as a psychopath.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think they've ever said he enjoyed killing, but rather that he did it without question or second thought if he felt it was what was necessary for "peace". Now he's uncertain what "peace" is, or if he's actually ever been an agent of "peace" and his conscience is making him doubt himself now.

I get the feeling that Peacemaker's superpower was that he was completely ruthless in the pursuit of an ideology he truly believed in. His complete and utter belief that his actions were right and necessary let him do things most humans wouldn't do, which is why he was so dangerous.

I suspect he's going to adhere to a new ideology before the series ends. Whether or not it's just as fucked up as his previous one is the question.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Look at us analyzing a show about a chauvinistic meat head who's idea of a super hero costume is to put a bed pan on his head. The show must be doing something right.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Apparently Alan Tyduk's wife came up with the opening dance scene and she sent video of Alan dancing as a Peacemaker stand in to James Gunn who has shared some clips on Twitter

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/14 ... qeztw&s=19
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is it possible for Alan Tudyk to become even MORE likeable? :wub:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

According to a Rolling Stone interview, Gunn hired her to do the choreography without realizing that she was married to Tudyk, so I guess he might have been surprised as anyone to see him in the initial demo videos. :lol:
Where did the idea for the choreography come from?
I hired a really great choreographer by the name of Charissa-Lee Barton. who I thought understood what I was saying the most. I’m not a choreographer, but I showed her some of what I thought the dance moves were like, and I explained the basic essence of the scene, which is it’s just this absolutely ludicrous, goofy, nonsense dance, but combined with everybody being absolutely dead serious, and not breaking for even a half-second. Everything is completely serious on the one hand, and everything is completely goofy with the other. I think it’s very much like the spirit of the show. It’s a serious show in certain ways, and in others, it’s just completely bananas. So I explained that to Charissa, and then she did the hard lifting. She got all of the actors coming into the rehearsals to work really hard. One funny thing is that it was only after I hired her that I found out that she was married to my friend [Resident Alien star] Alan Tudyk, and when she was sending me all the little clips of ideas for dance moves out of her kitchen, they were all starring Alan as Peacemaker.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. That's hilarious. Maybe he'll end up as a guest star. :D
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Mr Nobody would fit with this show :)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Boy howdy, episode four is quite good. Especially toward the end.

Also, a canonical reference to
Spoiler:
Matter-Eater Lad?
That's Emmy material right there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If this was Marvel instead of DC, I'm confident that Paste-Pot Pete would have had a mention by now.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Marvel really doesn’t deserve such a complex character. I mean, he sticks things together! The allegories practically write themselves.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Imagine Peacemaker's horror at dealing with a villain that could stick many small homunculi together to create a megahomunculus.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:29 pm Now that I think about it, it could just be the result of his loss of purpose. Following the movie, he's a man who now questions who he once was. That would explain much of his ineptitude now as he second thinks every action he takes.
I think it's very much this. He's not sure he was on the right path and now he's questioning it. He mentions the dove of peace on his weapon before he's supposed to kill the butterflies. Then, he mentions it again after questioned about his hesitancy to kill. Additionally, he is uncomfortable killing the senator's family because he doesn't know why he's killing them (which may also be a sign that he's not sure what he's doing now is the right thing for peace).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:58 am Imagine Peacemaker's horror at dealing with a villain that could stick many small homunculi together to create a megahomunculus.
:lol:

Edit: Give me more vigilante fight scenes, please. This latest episode showed us why he’s still alive in this game and I want more.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Video of his storage room.
Spoiler:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m pretty sure that scene is going to lead to hilarious hijinks as
Spoiler:
he tries to figure out what helmet does what since he didn’t grab the labels for them.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:28 pm I’m pretty sure that scene is going to lead to hilarious hijinks as
Spoiler:
he tries to figure out what helmet does what since he didn’t grab the labels for them.
Spoiler:
I predict there will be scabies involved.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Spoiler:
I just knew when there was that throwaway news bulletin about the escaped gorilla last week that there was going to be a butterflied gorilla coming up
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This has become a show I'm really looking forward to each week. This week's episode ("Monkey Dory") was quite good. The tone, pacing and writing continue to be fantastic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm vacillating between wanting a spinoff for Vigilante because he's so damn good, and not wanting one because he's so damn good when paired with Cena.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I was reading somewhere that Cena had no clue he was British until they wrapped for the season as he kept using his American accent during breaks and lunch, etc. Apparently he almost fell over when he started talking all British :)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:57 pm I'm vacillating between wanting a spinoff for Vigilante because he's so damn good, and not wanting one because he's so damn good when paired with Cena.
Spoiler:
Vigilante reminds me a lot of the main character from Kick Ass, except that he's a psycho.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: That's a very apt description. His optimistic, child like outlook on things makes his surprising displays of violence even funnier.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

"Do Wookiee's have teeth in their anus?"

Enlarge Image

How have we not discussed this yet?
https://screenrant.com/wookiees-butthol ... eacemaker/
Last edited by Hamlet3145 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was today years old when I realized wookiee is spelled with two ee’s. :shock:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"