3D Printing

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: 3D Printing

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:26 pm There is something seriously wrong with me.
No, I think I have some of the same wiring. It's linked to (I think) just wanting to learn new things in the hobby space. If I had the money, space and time, I'd get a new board game every week. I'd have a permanent table set up for skirmish games. I'd have a dedicated painting area and a spot for a 3D printer. I just had some bookshelves made and now all my gaming and RPG books have finally found a home (after ~16 years of being stored in boxes); being able to walk over the a shelf and just pick up a book is what I imagine my ideal "hobby" room could be like - with the space and time to just focus on something for a day (or a week) and not need to worry about digging stuff out of storage, finding space for it, setting it up, re-familiarizing myself, etc...

I have a friend that's been pushing me to get into 3D printing, but I know me and I know I'd get one and after a month or two I'd be back into painting. Or a new board game. Or a new video game, or...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:43 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:26 pm There is something seriously wrong with me.
No, I think I have some of the same wiring. It's linked to (I think) just wanting to learn new things in the hobby space. If I had the money, space and time, I'd get a new board game every week. I'd have a permanent table set up for skirmish games. I'd have a dedicated painting area and a spot for a 3D printer. I just had some bookshelves made and now all my gaming and RPG books have finally found a home (after ~16 years of being stored in boxes); being able to walk over the a shelf and just pick up a book is what I imagine my ideal "hobby" room could be like - with the space and time to just focus on something for a day (or a week) and not need to worry about digging stuff out of storage, finding space for it, setting it up, re-familiarizing myself, etc...

I have a friend that's been pushing me to get into 3D printing, but I know me and I know I'd get one and after a month or two I'd be back into painting. Or a new board game. Or a new video game, or...
It's also the way one aspect of the hobby (terrain/accessory crafting) has shifted almost entirely to 3d print these days. Terrain-based Kickstarters seem to be mostly stl files only. There are games for which nearly all of the available terrain/accessories are only available as files (I'm looking at you, Modiphius.) Foamcore crafting plans for accessories for new games (like organizers) has been getting replaced with links to files. Kickstarters are using 3d files as stretch goals. And I seriously doubt that trajectory changes in my lifetime. Part of it is simply that tabletop gaming has been shifting from an almost underground DIY hobby toward a boutique market targeted more and more toward people with large amounts of disposable income and larger spaces in which to do things.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For what it's worth, I've purchased some of the 3D printed organizers and they're definitely not all they are cracked up to be. I've had better luck with random 3D printed game "bits" (like chit sleds) from Etsy or having my buddy print a bunch. I know that's not helping you, but I do think a lot of it is FOMO. I totally agree about seeing more projects that are just giving away .STL files as part of crowdfunding effort but there's definitely a cost associated with printing - not just the device but quality materials (assuming resin) and skill/patience to tweak/adjust/maintain the equipment. I think that's where I start to talk myself out of things. I am not handy and I also know I'm not great with troubleshooting anything mechanical. It's one of the reasons I finally gave up on the idea of getting an airbrush and a 3D printer seems like it would be leaps and bounds more complicated to fiddle with than an air brush.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, there's some FOMO, but I'd actually call it meta-FOMO. I used to be a member of several terrain crafting groups on Facebook to get ideas and hear about techniques. I've left them all, as they'd become entirely about 3d printing. Go ask a question in many places on "How do I make _____", or see a cool piece and ask, "Nice, how'd you get that effect?" and the reply, with increasing frequency, is "I printed it."

So, yeah, meta-FOMO. Fear of being completely shut out of a hobby and missing everything.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have to say, 3D printing and Contrast-style paints were the sea change that truly brought me back into just doing minis games. I mean, I had all of my cowboy stuff for Gunfighter's Ball, and was dabbling with Gangs of Rome, but other than those I was pretty much just doing boardgames. But the ability to print out terrain and minis and get them painted in about half the time was a game changer.

(And I believe it was you, BH, that asked a question about Pulp Alley that got me to dig out those rules again and take another look, and boy, did that get me REALLY going.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:01 pm (And I believe it was you, BH, that asked a question about Pulp Alley that got me to dig out those rules again and take another look, and boy, did that get me REALLY going.)
Probably me. And as someone who follows the Pulp Alley FB page - yeah, I know. ;)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hentzau’s Octocon tables are pretty damn cool.

I’ve had good luck with Etsy organizers. I’m waiting on one for Unsettled. The one for After the Empire is amazing. Spies Lies and Supplies (and its expansion) is also inspired.

With the wood organizer companies going out of business or scaling back, Etsy is the only option.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:15 pm Etsy is the only option.
For highly specialized storage, yes. I am a huge fan of the Folded Space inserts, though I'll fully admit they're not really good for miniature-heavy games. But if the game has a ton of cards and tokens? They're awesome.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

At the risk of feeding into others desires for a new/different hobby... I've gone down the rabbit hole.

First thanks Punisher and Hentzau for your replies. My test print was definitely on a raft, a setting that must have been applied to that test print. I've done some prints with and without it since and have come to prefer them. I found some 60s era Formula One cars and printed out a few for Heat but they were really stuck, and in warming up the bed to try and get them off the delicate suspensions bent on a couple, but I wound up with 2 that are OK and that's all I need at the moment. I've used rafts for everything else since and they've come off great. I also got one of the magnetized printing mats that can flex a bit and that's been great too.

The printer is a standard Ender 3 as far as I can tell.

After printing those Heat cars I went looking for something else but it's just overwhelming what's out there. Almost too much. What I realized was I really wanted to do was design my own stuff. I don't think I mentioned it here, but one game from last year we really love is Robot Quest Arena. It's a robot-fighting deck builder with this really cartoonish art style. It comes with nice miniatures while the board and modular terrain are all cardboard tiles. I thought that might be a good entry point since the art is very basic and would hopefully be easy to do justice to.

So I dove into Blender. By which I mean I stared blankly at the default interface thinking "All I want to do is start with a tile, 56mm square and 3mm thick, did I accidentally install something NASA uses to design rockets?" Long story short, after watching an hour or so of tutorials just to begin to get the basic vocabulary and concepts, followed by Googling almost any permutation of "How do I do X in Blender?" and shockingly finding answers and/or videos to all of them, I have begun:

Here's the spikes tile, painted and complete, along with some wall blocks fresh off the printer. Can't wait to get to it. The design for a 3rd tile (teleport pads) I whipped up in less than 10 minutes so it's definitely getting easier.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Very nice! I'm still alternating between trying to sell myself on/disuade myself of the idea of trying to plan for one. I'll be honest - one thing that really helps me stay away is the layer lines. I hate layer lines, and getting them off of a sizable piece (especially if it isn't flat) is more work than building it from scratch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am not sure if it would work for 3D printing ventilation, but I saw someone on the Youtubes that created a fume hood system that had vapors (mostly for air brush painting, to be clear) collected into a 5 gallon utility bucket, filled with some water. I guess it comes from people that create lint vent traps for dryers using the same philosophy. Granted, 3D printing fumes are going to be much worse, but I haven't actually looked into whether or not it would be a potential solution to putting one in a room where a window isn't available...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:49 pm I am not sure if it would work for 3D printing ventilation, but I saw someone on the Youtubes that created a fume hood system that had vapors (mostly for air brush painting, to be clear) collected into a 5 gallon utility bucket, filled with some water. I guess it comes from people that create lint vent traps for dryers using the same philosophy. Granted, 3D printing fumes are going to be much worse, but I haven't actually looked into whether or not it would be a potential solution to putting one in a room where a window isn't available...
If that's meant for me, windows are absolutely available. This 19th century house is brimming with them, and that's even after several were bricked up when it was turned from a house into apartments sometime in the mid-20th century. Hell, my small living room here has four that are probably 3' wide and 6' tall. The bedroom has three, and the closet has one. In fact, I installed an exhaust fan in one of the bedroom windows some time ago, along with rubber strips around the door so that I can isolate it from the birds when working with chemicals.

My problems are more that, one, I'd be printing in my bedroom, and anything that needed to run and/or cure past bedtime would put me in the fumes, and two, while I have windows, I don't have floor space in which to put a table/stand/rack/workbench long-term.

I'm fine for toxic chemicals and processes that are completely finished in a couple of hours. It's just anything that would take overnight that's an issue.

That's why my brainstorm earlier was to remove one full shelf from the closet, giving me room for a small workbench and access to that window. I can always shut the closet door and isolate that room overnight with exhaust running. I say 'closet', but it's a pretty big walk-in that's probably half again the size of my entire bathroom. It already serves as a regular closet, plus storage for all of my board games, RPG books, and hoards of crafting supplies with room left to walk. Of course, that particular closet doesn't have a heating vent, and the AC is the bedroom window unit. So closing that door would cause that (particularly drafty) closet to hit the 30s during winter nights, and 80s/90s in the summer - which would be a problem for the other things I store in there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, sorry. I thought I hit "Quote" but apparently I didn't. I don't do any assembly (glue) or priming (rattle can) for ~5 months out of the year because of fumes. I have a window in my office but it's a casement window so trying to get a drop in system for venting is more complicated and while I've opened it this time of year for fresh air while building models, I'm learning that the draft doesn't really help as much as I'd hope with the fumes. And of course the breeze in is blowing the smell into other parts of the house and my roommates are complaining. :) Regardless, after seeing the fume hood into 5 gallon bucket trick, I was thinking I could set that up on a side table and maybe use my Tamiya cement without also losing touch with reality for a few hours every time....and then I figured maybe it would work for 3D printing ventilation as well, but yes space is always a consideration with these things...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can you set up a generic box fan right in front of the window to push the fumes out? I did that for years before I got the fan I have now. I'd just place one fan pointing out of one window, then open another on the other side of the room with a fan blowing in.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My printer has an internal fan and filter running and I have an air purifier running next to it, plus it’s sitting by a window, so I will crack open the window while running. Plus I normally try and run the printer overnight when I’m not in the room. Should I be doing more? Probably.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daveman wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:30 pm So I dove into Blender. By which I mean I stared blankly at the default interface thinking "All I want to do is start with a tile, 56mm square and 3mm thick, did I accidentally install something NASA uses to design rockets?"
You might want to try Fusion 360.
While I didn't create any masterpieces, I found it MUCH easier to understand. I was wven able to make a simple moving object after taking a basic fusion 360 class at a local maker space.
If you take even a basic free class i think they still offer a free student license. Even better if you are a teacher. I started on the free student lucense and moved to using my wifes teacher id so i get a bunch of autodesk stuff for free.
Don't really use it much as I dont remember how, but plan on trying again at some point.

https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu- ... individual
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

If anyones looking for a great deal on STLs I just backed this campaign.

Even if you miss the early bird the other deals are still great since you get a crap ton of files.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:26 pm
Wheew, there - I think writing that up was enough to talk myself out of it.

There is something seriously wrong with me.
Yeah, didn't work. I was able (thanks to an OO feller) to get my hands on an older 3d printer at a really low price, enough to allow me to experiment a bit. It is, like I said, an older model (around 2017 as far as I've been able to figure out), doesn't have a huge print bed, and isn't really suited to things like miniatures, but is good enough for some smaller terrain, some utility items, and, most of all, to let me figure out the tech and find out if I can make it work where I'm at.
hentzau wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:12 pm Now onto FDM printing.
Spoiler:
FDM printing uses a filament of various types, heated through a hot end, to build up a model from a print bed. The filament comes in a spool, and you can have a literal rainbow of colors that you can print in. FDM printing is a lot slower than resin printing, but generally has larger print beds to print on, so you can get larger models to print.

The traditional FDM printer uses an XYZ gantry to do its printing. The X-axis is your print head traveling along an arm going left-right in your build area. The Y-axis is the print bed, and that will move forward and backwards. The Z-axis moves the arm of the X-axis up and down (traditionally only up during a print.) The print bed is heated to help for the filament to adhere. Most print beds use a special coating to help with filament adherence, my favorite is a material called PEI on a spring-steel plate that is like magic to help filament stick to the bed and you flex the plate when done and your prints just pop off. Other bed surfaces can be glass, tempered glass, borosilicate glass...these will usually give you a print bed without warping that can happen with metal beds. In addition to the bed heating, people will use adhesive substances to help the prints stick...things like custom-made adhesion materials, painters tape, regular school glue sticks, and hairspray.

An FDM print begins as a does a resin print, by taking an STL file and running it through a slicer. The most commonly used slicers are Cura and PrusaSlicer. You set up basic settings within your slicer telling it the printer type, the filament type, the nozzle size, nozzle temperature, print bed temperature, and layer height. Layer height pretty much determines your quality, in combination with the nozzle size. The smaller the nozzle size and lower the layer height, the more detail you will get, the fewer and less pronounced the layer lines will appear, but it will also increase your print time, a bunch. Part of what you need to determine is what level of detail you want vs how long you want it to take.

Behind the scenes there are hundreds of other settings that you can play with and tweak to get your printer to perform at peak speed and details, but once again, this is a real art to get these settings tweaked.

The most commonly used filament is PLA (polyactive acid) which is made from corn starch as it's primary component. There is no smell or off-gassing from the melting of PLA. It does a great job of creating simple models, but it is somewhat brittle. This is all I have ever printed with. The other filaments, like PETG and TPU...these are more difficult to print with, because you have to print at higher temps and PETG off gasses so you usually have to have it in an enclosure.

For the most part, models that have been made to print with FDM in mind don't need to have supports. You can add supports to FDM prints, but they are pretty terrible to remove and will slow you down, so you want to always try and print without supports.

Bed leveling is really at the heart of being able to get a good print from an FDM printer. Automated bed leveling is becoming more and more common with consumer level printers, but even that will need some fine manual adjustments. StAraight up manual adjustment requires using what they call "the paper test", where you move the print head to the 4 corners of the bed, bring the z-axis down to zero, put a piece of paper between the print nozzle and the print bed, and then adjust the height of the bed using knobs until the paper is just catching between the bed and nozzle. Once you get your leveling dialed in, you can go for months without having to re-level... but as soon as you move the printer, or replace the nozzle or the print bed, you will need to re-level.

Recommendations: I have had 3 FDM printers, an Ender 3 pro, an Ender Cr-6, and a Prusa Mk3S. I was pretty happy with my Ender 3 pro, and knew pretty well how to manage and troubleshoot any issues with it. I was seduced by the CR6, because of its promises of auto bed leveling, and it printed pretty well for me for about 6 months until it just went to hell and I couldn't get a print to work to save my soul. So I dropped the big money on a Prusa. I couldn't afford the pre-assembled version, so I built it myself. Took me about 12 hours to build. But it printed great. I got beautiful prints off of it, and the auto bed leveling was a thing of beauty. And it worked great for about a year. But right now, it's just a paperweight. I can't get any of my prints to stick to the bed. Everything I've tried just won't work. I've replaced multiple parts. Super, super frustrating. I'm about to punt and try and sell this one at a discount and buy one of the new Ender 3 V2 Neo printers. That's the printer that Tom Tullis over at Fat Dragon Games is recommending right now.

Speed...FDM printing is not fast. Depending on your layer height, larger prints can take over 24 hours to complete. Bunches of smaller prints on a single bed can take a long time as well, because unlike resin, you're not curing an entire layer all at once, you're having to travel all over the bed to lay down a layer of filament for each piece. I think the longest I've had a print run is like 39 hours or so.

Bottom line...3D printing has a learning curve. You won't be perfect out of the gate. You will get frustrated. You have to learn how to maintain and repair them. It is time consuming. But it's also magic, when you consider that you can go to a site like Heroforge, create a miniature that looks exactly like you imagine your character, and then 3 hours later you have the mini in your hand. I've slowed down a lot on my 3D printing, but its there when I need it. I have to get my FDM printer going again, because I am starting up a new project and I have a bunch of terrain I need to get ready.
Is this still accurate?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:46 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:12 pm Now onto FDM printing.
Spoiler:
FDM printing uses a filament of various types, heated through a hot end, to build up a model from a print bed. The filament comes in a spool, and you can have a literal rainbow of colors that you can print in. FDM printing is a lot slower than resin printing, but generally has larger print beds to print on, so you can get larger models to print.

The traditional FDM printer uses an XYZ gantry to do its printing. The X-axis is your print head traveling along an arm going left-right in your build area. The Y-axis is the print bed, and that will move forward and backwards. The Z-axis moves the arm of the X-axis up and down (traditionally only up during a print.) The print bed is heated to help for the filament to adhere. Most print beds use a special coating to help with filament adherence, my favorite is a material called PEI on a spring-steel plate that is like magic to help filament stick to the bed and you flex the plate when done and your prints just pop off. Other bed surfaces can be glass, tempered glass, borosilicate glass...these will usually give you a print bed without warping that can happen with metal beds. In addition to the bed heating, people will use adhesive substances to help the prints stick...things like custom-made adhesion materials, painters tape, regular school glue sticks, and hairspray.

An FDM print begins as a does a resin print, by taking an STL file and running it through a slicer. The most commonly used slicers are Cura and PrusaSlicer. You set up basic settings within your slicer telling it the printer type, the filament type, the nozzle size, nozzle temperature, print bed temperature, and layer height. Layer height pretty much determines your quality, in combination with the nozzle size. The smaller the nozzle size and lower the layer height, the more detail you will get, the fewer and less pronounced the layer lines will appear, but it will also increase your print time, a bunch. Part of what you need to determine is what level of detail you want vs how long you want it to take.

Behind the scenes there are hundreds of other settings that you can play with and tweak to get your printer to perform at peak speed and details, but once again, this is a real art to get these settings tweaked.

The most commonly used filament is PLA (polyactive acid) which is made from corn starch as it's primary component. There is no smell or off-gassing from the melting of PLA. It does a great job of creating simple models, but it is somewhat brittle. This is all I have ever printed with. The other filaments, like PETG and TPU...these are more difficult to print with, because you have to print at higher temps and PETG off gasses so you usually have to have it in an enclosure.

For the most part, models that have been made to print with FDM in mind don't need to have supports. You can add supports to FDM prints, but they are pretty terrible to remove and will slow you down, so you want to always try and print without supports.

Bed leveling is really at the heart of being able to get a good print from an FDM printer. Automated bed leveling is becoming more and more common with consumer level printers, but even that will need some fine manual adjustments. StAraight up manual adjustment requires using what they call "the paper test", where you move the print head to the 4 corners of the bed, bring the z-axis down to zero, put a piece of paper between the print nozzle and the print bed, and then adjust the height of the bed using knobs until the paper is just catching between the bed and nozzle. Once you get your leveling dialed in, you can go for months without having to re-level... but as soon as you move the printer, or replace the nozzle or the print bed, you will need to re-level.

Recommendations: I have had 3 FDM printers, an Ender 3 pro, an Ender Cr-6, and a Prusa Mk3S. I was pretty happy with my Ender 3 pro, and knew pretty well how to manage and troubleshoot any issues with it. I was seduced by the CR6, because of its promises of auto bed leveling, and it printed pretty well for me for about 6 months until it just went to hell and I couldn't get a print to work to save my soul. So I dropped the big money on a Prusa. I couldn't afford the pre-assembled version, so I built it myself. Took me about 12 hours to build. But it printed great. I got beautiful prints off of it, and the auto bed leveling was a thing of beauty. And it worked great for about a year. But right now, it's just a paperweight. I can't get any of my prints to stick to the bed. Everything I've tried just won't work. I've replaced multiple parts. Super, super frustrating. I'm about to punt and try and sell this one at a discount and buy one of the new Ender 3 V2 Neo printers. That's the printer that Tom Tullis over at Fat Dragon Games is recommending right now.

Speed...FDM printing is not fast. Depending on your layer height, larger prints can take over 24 hours to complete. Bunches of smaller prints on a single bed can take a long time as well, because unlike resin, you're not curing an entire layer all at once, you're having to travel all over the bed to lay down a layer of filament for each piece. I think the longest I've had a print run is like 39 hours or so.

Bottom line...3D printing has a learning curve. You won't be perfect out of the gate. You will get frustrated. You have to learn how to maintain and repair them. It is time consuming. But it's also magic, when you consider that you can go to a site like Heroforge, create a miniature that looks exactly like you imagine your character, and then 3 hours later you have the mini in your hand. I've slowed down a lot on my 3D printing, but its there when I need it. I have to get my FDM printer going again, because I am starting up a new project and I have a bunch of terrain I need to get ready.
Is this still accurate?
For the most part, yes. Since I posted that I dedicated about 3 hours to really digging into my Z offset for the Prusa and today my prints are all great. You didn't say what model of printer you have, if you know I may be able to point you to some additional resources.

The biggest thing that has changed is that first level bed leveling has gotten much better. There is actually a consumer grade printer that I would now recommend for most newbies...the Bambu A1 Mini. or the Bambu A1. I'm probably going to pick up an A1 after they get their electrical cord issue sorted out. (Yes, I know that's not a glowing recommendation, but the reviews for this printer have been nothing short of amazing.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:52 pm You didn't say what model of printer you have, if you know I may be able to point you to some additional resources.
Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer V2

Like I said, it's not a high-end model or current tech, but I've gotten some good results on some basic items.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, this thing is addictive. I'm still experimenting, but I've made 15-20 items. Probably half were failures, but I'm looking at this phase as a learning experience.

I'll definitely be wishlisting an upgrade in the future.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Damn, this thing is addictive. I'm still experimenting, but I've made 15-20 items. Probably half were failures, but I'm looking at this phase as a learning experience.

I'll definitely be wishlisting an upgrade in the future.
Welcome to my world.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've already run through the bits of filament that said OOer included (a couple of nearly empty spools), and have started on some fresh-bought Hatchbox PLA.

The printer I've got is decent for making utility items, provided they're small (130mm x 160mm print bed.) It's a bit rough for display/tabletop items, though. I've made a few small pieces of terrain for my tests, and they turn out OK, but the layer lines are prominent. I've tried a couple of more complex pieces, and they tend to print OK, but complex supports have been a headache. That's mostly because there are so many supports that I can't figure out what's part of the piece because it's completely buried in supports - which makes cutting them away without damaging the piece impossible.

But I'll admit, I'm chomping at the bit. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm dreaming of printing and painting for Wasteland Warfare, Gaslands, Rangers of the Shadow Deep, and a few others - not to mention utility items and a few fun display pieces. I just need to figure out what this printer's capable of.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Supports on FDM are a PITA. I really try and print only support less models. The latest version of PrusaSlicer has improved auto supports, but I still really hate them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it's kept me from printing a few pieces that I like. I see that they have internal areas, and I know I'll never be able to actually clean them up without destroying the print. I've been using Cura, but I've been meaning to check some of the alternatives as well.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Fyi. The addiction gets worse when you upgrade to a larger printer..
I think even modern printers would struggle for detailed fdm prints. It's the main reason I have resin printers.
Smaller print nozzles can help but I dont recall if you can change them with that one.
I just got a dual print module for my snapmaker. Haven't installed it yet but the main thing im looking to try is PVA for the second nozzle just for supports.
Supposedly it disolves in wayer so the idea is to print all the supports with it mo matter how many or where, let ot soak in water, then pull out a finished support free item. Will also yry dual color supports at some point.
One thing I've been meaning to do but haven't yet is to try a full size helmet in one go.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Puraslicer: I'm giving it a try, hoping for some better support options. Does this thing actually handle the printing like Cura does? I can only find the option export the gcode, not to print.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:24 pm Puraslicer: I'm giving it a try, hoping for some better support options. Does this thing actually handle the printing like Cura does? I can only find the option export the gcode, not to print.
You mean direct print from the slicer to something like Octoprint? I use Octoprint but I always save the file locally then upload it to the OctoPrint server.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:24 pm Puraslicer: I'm giving it a try, hoping for some better support options. Does this thing actually handle the printing like Cura does? I can only find the option export the gcode, not to print.
You should be able to use a micro sd card to put the files on and print from there. There might already be one in it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:41 pm
You should be able to use a micro sd card to put the files on and print from there. There might already be one in it.
Nope, I'll have to order one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm nowhere close to a resin printer, but I'm still trying to figure out if I can come up with a way to make it possible. Quick question in that regard:

How sensitive are they to temperature, and do they have to be kept in the dark?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Mine is in my kitchen with windows and shades.
It should be warm when using it i believe so an unheated garage might not work.
The main thing is to keep the resin away from uv light.
Haven't had any real issues.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I try and print my resin prints at around 70°. If the resin gets too cold it will have problems printing. As far as light the printers have UV covers but I still try and avoid direct sunlight on the printer.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My reason is that I just realized that the place I've been considering (my huge closet, complete with its own window for ventilation) doesn't have a separate heater vent, and with the door closed to contain the fumes, it would get hot and humid (in the summer) or cold (in the winter.)

I may have to look into a fully sealed enclosure to make it work.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The heat shouldn't be an issue but the humidity might and I'm almost positive the cold would.
I've had my original resin printer in my living room for a while and the new one in the kitchen for about 2 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have birds - I have to be especially careful about fumes.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:30 pm I have birds - I have to be especially careful about fumes.
Well you cpuld always let them free and 3d print new ones!
:D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's the thing with pigeons as pets - you kick 'em out, and they keep coming back.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Start charging rent. They'll be out quicker than you know!
Or print one 3d bird. Mate them, eventually you'll have a family of 3d birds.
I'm pretty sure thats how biology works.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's too late. Pippin has already decided that we're married, so they'll be sticking around.