2021 Election Cycle

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: 2021 Election Cycle

Post by Zarathud »

malchior wrote:On the other hand it indicates that the GOP is insurgent at the grass roots level. Sending people to rile up school boards across the country looks like genius malice at this point. It is paying dividends everywhere.
This. The Democratic grassroots are consistently outflanked by the garbage the conservatives manufacture.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:36 pm
malchior wrote:On the other hand it indicates that the GOP is insurgent at the grass roots level. Sending people to rile up school boards across the country looks like genius malice at this point. It is paying dividends everywhere.
This. The Democratic grassroots are consistently outflanked by the garbage the conservatives manufacture.
It's hard for the Democrats to mirror the grassroots relationship that the GOP has given that the media that Democrats pay attention to expects Democrats to care about facts and whatnot. So like if a GOP politician says something crazy to rile up the base, Fox News isn't going to go after them for that, but on the Democratic side CNN / MSNBC / etc. certainly will. And conversely when right wing crazies show up at school board meetings and whatnot Fox News isn't going to blame that on Hawley / Cruz / etc. but the parallel isn't true.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:18 pm McAuliffe has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I think it's his 'game show host/used car salesman" mashup personality. :D

BUT in his defense, I totally agree with his lightning rod comment. So parents should be able to dictate what is taught in the classroom? What do we do when God forbid, some parents don't agree with what some other parents think should or should not be taught?

Hey, let's also let citizens tell the local police and fire stations how they should be doing their jobs also, while we're at it.

We have been reduced to a populist mush. Jesus.
Yeah, the criticism is more about how he said it, I suppose. It made it sound like parents should be shut out entirely of the discussion, whereas the reality is that parents do have influence over curriculum but they're ultimately one voice among many. Which is appropriate. It's just that he presented it as "STFU parents".
Ah, OK, thanks for clarifying. I only read it, and out of context, so that helps. I'm actually surprised he had the balls to say that, considering what I perceive to be a VERY politicky (Romney/John Kerry) personality, if you know what I mean.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:18 pm McAuliffe has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I think it's his 'game show host/used car salesman" mashup personality. :D

BUT in his defense, I totally agree with his lightning rod comment. So parents should be able to dictate what is taught in the classroom? What do we do when God forbid, some parents don't agree with what some other parents think should or should not be taught?

Hey, let's also let citizens tell the local police and fire stations how they should be doing their jobs also, while we're at it.

Yeah, the criticism is more about how he said it, I suppose. It made it sound like parents should be shut out entirely of the discussion, whereas the reality is that parents do have influence over curriculum but they're ultimately one voice among many. Which is appropriate. It's just that he presented it as "STFU parents".
And that's why you don't hand the opposition a ready made soundbite like that. I knew what he meant but in a no holds barred political fight nuances fall by the wayside. He should have known better.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meanwhile the count goes on in NJ...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 pm

And that's why you don't hand the opposition a ready made soundbite like that. I knew what he meant but in a no holds barred political fight nuances fall by the wayside. He should have known better.
To be fair to McAuliffe, it seems impossible to go to multiple events essentially each day and talk about complex fraught issues without saying something that clipped to 5 - 10 seconds sounds really bad.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 pm

To be fair to McAuliffe, it seems impossible to go to multiple events essentially each day and talk about complex fraught issues without saying something that clipped to 5 - 10 seconds sounds really bad.
It's tough, but it seems that folks on the right can say the most outlandish shit with little consequence. Telling parents what they can and cannot do however is fraught with peril. Heck, parents give school principals an earful when they try to impose sane traffic rules when picking up their children. :lol:

I'm just saying the margin for error for a Democratic candidate in many races can be pretty thin.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Although it's worth pointing out that Biden did about a point and a half better nationally than House Democrats did in 2020.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The AP is now calling for for Murphy in NJ and based on what I've seen he's currently up by about 19K votes. There are still machines that need to be tallied along with ~500K mail in votes, but I guess the projection is that all those mail in ballots are Democrat frauds? I dunno.

I just need to get to the next phase so I can start sipping on the tears of impotent rage.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I can't imagine many Republicans crying over the NJ results. Even if Murphy squeeks out a win, they have exceeded their wildest expectations.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:24 pm I can't imagine many Republicans crying over the NJ results.
The are in my corner of NJ.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:26 pmThe are in my corner of NJ.
Oh. Well, enjoy the local show then.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jack isn't conceding and I honestly can't blame him. There's a lot of votes left, but I mean they are very very likely not going his way. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

malchior

Post by malchior »

For me, it doesn't really matter. It isnt like conceding is a legally binding thing. If he decides to lump it into the Big Lie that is when I will take notice.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I don't get the impression that's where he's going with it.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

News this morning said fewer than 37% of NJ residents voted on Tuesday - lowest voter turnout in nearly a century. That's embarrassing. I get that Murphy isn't energizing, but when the choice is to elect a GOP cult proxy that proposed making a local ordinance against cursing...I mean, really. More here, for those interested.

Just as a random weird data-point, there was a guy in one of the shore communities (heavy GOP area) that was a former school administrator. In 2011 he was ordered to pay 4.5 million over a sexual assault claim at work after being fired based on those same charges. This same guy was just elected on Tuesday to a seat on the Board of Education from the school district he was fired from. What in the actual F is happening??
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Democrats have got to figure out how to fight/win the culture wars. They need to face that fact that running as the part of "good government" (which they are compared to the Republicans) doesn't matter. People blame them for not passing Build Back Better and the Infrastructure plan, but I doubt would have ended up changing many votes. A lot of people don't care what benefit the govt can provide them - case in point - did the Republicans face any repercussions in poor white areas from attempting to repeal Obamacare? I've not seen any evidence of that. Did any poor white counties in KY turn out there Republican representatives for voting against the ACA?

The Republicans have three powerful hooks - guns, abortion, and whiteness. Millons of people own guns and vote just on that issue, millions of Christians vote solely on abortion, and there are a lot of white people. What do the Democrats have? Sure the Democrats also have abortion but I'd argue that it is a lot less powerful for them, because a lot of women will just assume that it won't happen to them. Trans issues? Too few people to really matter politically, yet the Dems spend a lot of political capital on this issue, which I'd argue also serves to animate the right. Racial equality? That could be a winner, but turnout is often spotty among minorities and it seems Republicans have made gains with Hispanics under Trump, and it's still out numbered by whiteness on the Republican side. Note, I'm not saying the Democrats are wrong on any of these issues, I'm just saying they are not the big winners for them like guns, abortion and whiteness are for Republicans. Maybe there's something I'm missing, feel free to chime in.

Are there any big cultural winners for the Democrats?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There is a very simple solution for the Democrats "CRT" problem. Every Democrat should come out in favor of banning CRT in kindergarten through the 12th grade. It's not taught in those grades, so nothing is lost, you're not really giving up anything. Just ban it, let the conservatives have a "win" over a totally fake issue. You are not going to convince people that it isn't being taught, it's clear that facts don't matter to a large proportion of the population. So just ban it, take it off the table. Issue gone.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 am There is a very simple solution for the Democrats "CRT" problem. Every Democrat should come out in favor of banning CRT in kindergarten through the 12th grade. It's not taught in those grades, so nothing is lost, you're not really giving up anything. Just ban it, let the conservatives have a "win" over a totally fake issue. You are not going to convince people that it isn't being taught, it's clear that facts don't matter to a large proportion of the population. So just ban it, take it off the table. Issue gone.
The Progressive wing of the party (which sits in comfortably deep blue districts) would frame this action as "racist" and would start a war on social media if the Democrats even considered such a move. They are already showing that they would rather the Democrats do nothing than do something to please moderates.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Honestly I think the progressive wing of the party is just as bad as the extremist wing of the Republican party in making sure we're fooked six ways to Sunday.

Just as with the right-wing, their solution to defeat is to double down and get more extreme, when we all know Americans are closer to the middle. Of course we are, that's why every election comes down to an almost even split. In what kind of math does a 50/50 split toss-up for most elections equal - "Americans don't think we're far right/far left enough?"

I may believe in the progressive side's ideals, but I think they're living in a la-la fantasy world, and they're sabotaging everything to keep believing in that fantasy.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It should be noted that McAuliffe got 200,000+ more votes than the current Democratic governor so turnout on the Democratic side wasn't the issue - it was Republican turnout that swamped the Democrats, all driven largely by cultural issues.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here's the problem: The people have been actively separated from reality and reason. We are, collectively, bonkers. The Republicans are playing people for pure emotion, while we're trying to figure out how to appeal to their reason. But they have been condition to reject reason and embrace emotion. Seriously, it's like trying to reason with a four year old who's in the middle of throwing a fit. It just doesn't work. You can't figure out how to do it, no matter how hard you try.

We either give up (and the insanity wins), or we appeal to reason (and lose), or we also quit trying to reason with the unreasonable and appeal to emotion (and the insanity still wins, but differently.)

There is no good outcome. We're past that. We just have to hope we can choose the manner in which we fail.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 am There is a very simple solution for the Democrats "CRT" problem. Every Democrat should come out in favor of banning CRT in kindergarten through the 12th grade. It's not taught in those grades, so nothing is lost, you're not really giving up anything. Just ban it, let the conservatives have a "win" over a totally fake issue. You are not going to convince people that it isn't being taught, it's clear that facts don't matter to a large proportion of the population. So just ban it, take it off the table. Issue gone.
Except that literally any mention of race, diversity, inclusion, social issues, justice, etc. is lumped under the CRT umbrella in the eyes of conservatives.

To Dems, agreeing to ban CRT would be a very simple solution because it's not being taught anyways. To conservatives, however, agreeing to ban CRT means that you are agreeing to never mention race or racial history in any context in any school whatsoever. Goes without saying that shouldn't be the goal.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 am Honestly I think the progressive wing of the party is just as bad as the extremist wing of the Republican party in making sure we're fooked six ways to Sunday.

Just as with the right-wing, their solution to defeat is to double down and get more extreme, when we all know Americans are closer to the middle.
IMO this is a misread of the dynamic. They aren't becoming more extreme. They have been remarkably consistent. What they are doing is becoming more insistent saying that they think the Democrats need to actually deliver policy relief that is important to rural/poor Americans. Essentially they are arguing that they need to help people and they'll come along at the polls. I don't think the idea is inherently wrong. It is untested and probably unrealistic/unattainable because our system is inherently biased *AGAINST* action. Especially with a Senate that has completely broken down.

The essential policy planks on Family Leave and Pre-K would be good for a lot of the poorer, now angry whites who are being pulled into the GOP camp via feelings/hate levers. The GOP knows this and fights doggedly to prevent it to maintain their coalitions.

In these conditions, the Progressives aren't being all that helpful to be sure. However, the Democrats big picture are in a bind. If they can convince the Progressives to skew back to the middle then they are essentially returning to the free market meritocracy Clinton/Obama governance path. And that partially led us here in the first place. They are acting this way for a reason in other words.

I also harbor doubts that the United States really is "centrist". I think we often confuse electoral results for what Americans really stand for. I don't think that's accurate. Turnout in many areas in Democratic NJ were off as much as 50% from 2020. If that other 50% shows up then the election is a blow out. Do I really think that suddenly the electorate overall suddenly shifted far to the right in a year?

I know that seems abstract but I believe that 50/50 elections aren't really about some battle in the middle of the electorate. It doesn't really follow the evidence. The election results in VA have exit polls that indicate tons of turnout from folks outraged about a made up issue. How do we frame a "middle" story there? The same goes for NJ. We don't have exit polls but about the same number of people voted for Murphy as when he won in 2017. In 2021 it landed 52/48 (my best guess as mail-in votes are still being counted) because suddenly the GOP turnout increased by upwards of 50% from 2017. In fact, 2021 had much higher turnout in 2017 sole due to it. It seems much more likely that is reflected in "enthusiam". These are just two races but they don't really scream battle over a "middle". I personally think it more driven by the usual factors such as the economy and then the various different point in time polarization levers.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 am There is a very simple solution for the Democrats "CRT" problem. Every Democrat should come out in favor of banning CRT in kindergarten through the 12th grade.
You know I love you, Grif, but I think this is a terrible idea, for a number of reasons.
  • Using the legal system to ban things from education is just a bad idea in general - it’s like trying to use a chainsaw to perform surgery - you’re very, VERY likely to do more harm than good. It’s especially likely to backfire in this case, because -
  • It’s going to allow Democrats to hide behind definitions, which is what has gotten them in such trouble to begin with. Right now, the standard Democratic approach to this issue has been to say “CRT is a highly complex academic theory that exists only in 300 level courses and beyond. The idea that it’s being taught to primary school students is absurd, and only an uneducated idiot (probably blinded by their inherent racism!) could possibly believe otherwise.” They then drop the mic and bask in the warm glow of the Twitter likes while completely ignoring what is actually happening in primary schools, only to be shocked when Virginia does a 12-point swing away from them. But worst of all -
  • ”Banning CRT” isn’t actually going to solve the big problem the Democratic Party is facing - which is that it currently lacks an aspirational model for the country. The loudest voices in the Democratic camp tend to sound a lot like, well, the loudest voices in this forum.

America is a mostly bad place filled with mostly bad people who do mostly bad things because they are too stupid or too racist to deal with a virus, much less institutional discrimination or climate catastrophe. We’re a country founded on evil premises by tax evading slavers, and it’s only a matter of time until it all collapses into fasicm and genocide. We’re fucked.
This is difficult ground to build a political party on. Obama understood that if you want to motivate people, you have to give them hope, and let them focus on their strengths even as they acknowledge their weaknesses. Biden is trying, but I’m afraid he’s just too old to stand against the gale.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the other reason we're screwed is that people, by and large, will always follow the path of least resistance. And that's really what Republicans offer - a world in which you don't have to sacrifice anything for anyone, and you're free to indulge in your most selfish desires without giving a damn about how it harms anyone else.

Democrats, on the other hand, have to sell personal sacrifice for the greater good, paying your fair share, being kind to the environment - a lot of stuff that sounds like a hell of a lot of work. We've already proven we don't give a damn about our children, so asking us to sacrifice a little now so that they and their kids can have a better life? Complete pipe dream.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:46 am Here's the problem: The people have been actively separated from reality and reason. We are, collectively, bonkers. The Republicans are playing people for pure emotion, while we're trying to figure out how to appeal to their reason. But they have been condition to reject reason and embrace emotion. Seriously, it's like trying to reason with a four year old who's in the middle of throwing a fit. It just doesn't work. You can't figure out how to do it, no matter how hard you try.

We either give up (and the insanity wins), or we appeal to reason (and lose), or we also quit trying to reason with the unreasonable and appeal to emotion (and the insanity still wins, but differently.)

There is no good outcome. We're past that. We just have to hope we can choose the manner in which we fail.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I need to track the article down and can't find it right now, but they very clearly mapped out why we're shifting towards authoritarian rulers. And it's exactly the reason you are saying. It's much much easier to align behind an overall idea of those people are bad and I need to stop them. The majority of the people have zero interest in the actual details of policies. So really the dems can keep on doing complicated things, but they need a simple overall message that blames other people. :P

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have no idea what the dump truck is, but I'll just assume that it's saying I'm full of it. ;)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 amBut worst of all - [*]”Banning CRT” isn’t actually going to solve the big problem the Democratic Party is facing - which is that it currently lacks an aspirational model for the country. The loudest voices in the Democratic camp tend to sound a lot like, well, the loudest voices in this forum.

America is a mostly bad place filled with mostly bad people who do mostly bad things because they are too stupid or too racist to deal with a virus, much less institutional discrimination or climate catastrophe. We’re a country founded on evil premises by tax evading slavers, and it’s only a matter of time until it all collapses into fasicm and genocide. We’re fucked.[/list]
There are two problems here - one the idea that the Democrats have no aspirational model seems counter factual. Also your characterization of the arguments about where we are heading are absurd argumentation. We are trending towards facism (minus the genocide) because we have a political system that has broken pieces like the Senate. Those broken pieces have led to years of distortional political activity as the nation finds itself unable to solve basic problems, even problems that were routine only a few years ago like funding roads without kvetching. That's the story at one hundred thousand feet.
This is difficult ground to build a political party on. Obama understood that if you want to motivate people, you have to give them hope, and let them focus on their strengths even as they acknowledge their weaknesses. Biden is trying, but I’m afraid he’s just too old to stand against the gale.
It's funny you mention Obama because his attempt to build out any of his vision was largely stymied by the broken functions of our government. This is certainly a question of motivation but we have some indications now that factor to act is what is demotivating. Not a lack of an aspirational model. Especially since it 100% exists.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:34 am I have no idea what the dump truck is, but I'll just assume that it's saying I'm full of it. ;)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. Never saw and/or read it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:05 pm Ah. Never saw and/or read it.
Its people.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 am
Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 am There is a very simple solution for the Democrats "CRT" problem. Every Democrat should come out in favor of banning CRT in kindergarten through the 12th grade.
You know I love you, Grif, but I think this is a terrible idea, for a number of reasons.
  • Using the legal system to ban things from education is just a bad idea in general - it’s like trying to use a chainsaw to perform surgery - you’re very, VERY likely to do more harm than good. It’s especially likely to backfire in this case, because -
  • It’s going to allow Democrats to hide behind definitions, which is what has gotten them in such trouble to begin with. Right now, the standard Democratic approach to this issue has been to say “CRT is a highly complex academic theory that exists only in 300 level courses and beyond. The idea that it’s being taught to primary school students is absurd, and only an uneducated idiot (probably blinded by their inherent racism!) could possibly believe otherwise.” They then drop the mic and bask in the warm glow of the Twitter likes while completely ignoring what is actually happening in primary schools, only to be shocked when Virginia does a 12-point swing away from them. But worst of all -
  • ”Banning CRT” isn’t actually going to solve the big problem the Democratic Party is facing - which is that it currently lacks an aspirational model for the country. The loudest voices in the Democratic camp tend to sound a lot like, well, the loudest voices in this forum.

America is a mostly bad place filled with mostly bad people who do mostly bad things because they are too stupid or too racist to deal with a virus, much less institutional discrimination or climate catastrophe. We’re a country founded on evil premises by tax evading slavers, and it’s only a matter of time until it all collapses into fasicm and genocide. We’re fucked.
Yeah, the approach is to hammer (and I mean *** hammer ***) at any politician making a ban CRT argument to define CRT and put in writing what they are banning.

Then make the argument about what they are banning.

And if they can't/won't define it, then *** hammer *** at how incompetent they would be at managing Education and preparing Students for 21st Century jobs and are harming America's future.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 am America is a mostly bad place filled with mostly bad people who do mostly bad things because they are too stupid or too racist to deal with a virus, much less institutional discrimination or climate catastrophe. We’re a country founded on evil premises by tax evading slavers, and it’s only a matter of time until it all collapses into fasicm and genocide. We’re fucked.[/list]
America is an amazing country that falls short of it's promise to the most vulnerable among us. Understanding how this is so takes patience, open-mindedness, and the willingness to listen to those whose experience is different than yours. While these challenges may seem new to some, others have never known life without them. Through the hard work and innovation America is known for, we can join together once more and overcome all the threats to our nation's future. In doing so, we will secure those most cherished of American ideals - Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness - for everyone.

To do any less...to complain it's too hard, or uncomfortable, or the sacrifice is too great...would be un-American action of all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If we weren't willing to learn after 2016, I doubt VA is going to mean anything.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:48 pm If we weren't willing to learn after 2016, I doubt VA is going to mean anything.
We totally need to add that to LR's take on the board's take on America:

"America is a mostly bad place filled with mostly bad people who are bad learners, and do mostly bad things because they are too stupid or too racist to deal with a virus, much less institutional discrimination or climate catastrophe. We’re a country founded on evil premises by tax evading slavers, and it’s only a matter of time until it all collapses into fasicm and genocide. We’re fucked."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hate is based in fear.
She forgot anger! "Fear leads to Anger, anger leads to hate." (Hate leads to suffering) Then she just needs a picture of McConnell and Trump.

Of course that's 8 words and she wanted six or less.

Maybe 7?

"Fear is the path to the dark side"
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:48 pm If we weren't willing to learn after 2016, I doubt VA is going to mean anything.
I can concede 2016... January 6th... If we learned nothing after January 6th then it's over, Prime...

As it stands today, My fear of what we haven't learned since January 6th leads to anger... my anger leads to hate...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The GOP Got Away With All of It.

This articulates a lot of what I've been thinking about the Youngkin victory. In so many ways it's a little funny to read all the hot takes on why McAuliffe lost - it was his schools comment, he was too focused on Trump, he didn't respond enough to CRT attacks, it was Manchin and Sinema, etc - when the reality is that this is relatively normal given past elections. The political environment almost always moves against the party in power, and Virginia in particular has a long history of electing governors from the opposition party (and in fact the Biden 2020 --> McAuliffe 2021 shift towards the GOP was signifcantly smaller than the Obama 2008 --> Deeds 2009 shift). So like, in many ways this is politics in general.

But that's exactly the problem. Political trends seem to be mostly working normally, which is a massive problem because: (1) Democrats are dealing with massive and growing structural disadvantages; and (2) Republicans don't seem to be paying a significant price for radicalizing and for embracing a would-be dictator who openly tried to overturn an election via violence. That's a big, big problem.
Black Lives Matter.