Weird Steam issue

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Weird Steam issue

Post by Rumpy »

I've noticed since the latest update (and it does update often it seems) that the tab on the taskbar will disappear. When that happens, I can only get a window back if I go to the icon area on the right hand side and click on the menu to get to a specific page, and even then, it's a window without a tab. I can also fix it temporarily by going to taskbar settings and enabling the tasbar icon for Steam, exit Steam, bring it back up and then disabling the taskbar icon again. Then my tab stays for the session. The first time I did this, it lasted for a couple of days and beforte the problem occurred again. Used the workaround again, but this time it only lasted that one night. I've heard that it's possibly a Steam cache issue, but if that's the case, I have no idea how to clear it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Weird Steam issue

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:50 am I've noticed since the latest update (and it does update often it seems) that the tab on the taskbar will disappear. When that happens, I can only get a window back if I go to the icon area on the right hand side and click on the menu to get to a specific page, and even then, it's a window without a tab. I can also fix it temporarily by going to taskbar settings and enabling the tasbar icon for Steam, exit Steam, bring it back up and then disabling the taskbar icon again. Then my tab stays for the session. The first time I did this, it lasted for a couple of days and beforte the problem occurred again. Used the workaround again, but this time it only lasted that one night. I've heard that it's possibly a Steam cache issue, but if that's the case, I have no idea how to clear it.
The instructions for 'Refreshing Steam Files' in this Wikihow walk you through how to clear Steam's cache. Keep in mind, you will need to re-login to Steam, but your Steam files will be completely refreshed after completing the procedure.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thanks. I think I vaguely remember having to do that once before long ago and it did clear problems I had at the time. Will my Steam settings stay intact?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:16 pm Thanks. I think I vaguely remember having to do that once before long ago and it did clear problems I had at the time. Will my Steam settings stay intact?
I honestly don't recall, but my gut instinct is probably not.

If that's a concern, I believe Steam settings are saved in the following folders:

Code: Select all

.\Steam\config
.\Steam\userdata\STEAM_ID\config
So, you may want to back up those folders prior to refreshing, and restore them afterwards.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thanks. Will be doing it this weekend.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti