Great games you remember on the NES , SNES, and Genesis in the early days

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Great games you remember on the NES , SNES, and Genesis in the early days

Post by Jaymann »

I remember Berzerk: Intruder alert! Intruder alert!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:46 pm They made 7 Cities for a console? I played that on the the Atari 800 until the floppy no longer worked. I can still hear those "drums". I'm tempted to go out and get an emulator and see if I can get a controller to work for it and then find out how much I'm willing to play an 8 bit game again.
The updated version is on GOG.com. This was the console version, IIRC. https://www.gog.com/game/seven_cities_of_gold_ce
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:56 pm I remember Berzerk: Intruder alert! Intruder alert!
Played that in the arcade.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:56 pm I remember Berzerk: Intruder alert! Intruder alert!
that would have been the original arcade version. Atari 2600 rendition didn't have the synthesized speech
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm
that would have been the original arcade version. Atari 2600 rendition didn't have the synthesized speech
Interesting. Was it on the 5200?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:55 pm
Atari 5200 version _did_ have the speech - but who had a 5200? haha
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:23 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:55 pm
Atari 5200 version _did_ have the speech - but who had a 5200? haha
I did, so that must be what I was remembering.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"knock knock in the night".... I never did have an idea what they said when you died.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember our Big-K store (beside K-Mart and pre Walmart) had a 5200 demo unit. It never grabbed me the way the 2600 did in Sears. No lines to play it either.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the Atari 7800 was supposed to be the two-year console refresh after the 5600 and was to come out in 1984, but due to internal politics and external contract squabbles, was delayed until 1986. this was a fatal blow to Atari, since this gave the NES plenty of time to make headway in the US (and establish market dominance)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even I had an NES. Got it around 1989 though. I still remember standing in Walmart's LayAwaY line to put it in. I still have it boxed and all. Wish I had my 2600 box. But still have the system and many carts. I collected carts up until the early 90s at the local flea market in box too. $5 each.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:38 pm "knock knock in the night".... I never did have an idea what they said when you died.
Wasn't it "Got the Humanoid?"

I was young when this one was in the arcade. I used to run around saying "Get the Humanoid! GET THE HUMANOID!"

Also, if you really want to induce anxiety, sneak up on me and play these clips:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:38 pm "knock knock in the night".... I never did have an idea what they said when you died.
Really? I'ma need to find a video, close my eyes and listen to see if I can possibly hear that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm
Really? I'ma need to find a video, close my eyes and listen to see if I can possibly hear that.
It was definitely "Got the Humanoid." I heard it first time and every time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I really enjoyed Strider and Golden Axe on the Genesis.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:17 pm
I loved that one. I played it several times, but trying to finish it about made my head explode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I disagree with you guys about great games of the past especially NES and SNES. I'm talking about the 'Great' part of the title.
Compared to now a days they were crap. Yes I had a lot of fun playing them but they still weren't up to today's standards of fun. And looks.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:26 pm I disagree with you guys about great games of the past especially NES and SNES. I'm talking about the 'Great' part of the title.
Compared to now a days they were crap. Yes I had a lot of fun playing them but they still weren't up to today's standards of fun. And looks.
That's like saying that current games suck because they don't compare well with games made 30 years from now. And some games, especially in abandoned or wildly changed genres, do hold up quite well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 pm
https://www.101soundboards.com/sounds/477881-berzerk

usually combined "GOT THE HUMANOID / GOT THE INTRUDER"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Way back on the Apple II there was a game called Seadragon. The programmers actually got Apple II's speaker, which is supposedly only capable of simple tones, into speaking "SeaDragon". It's very mechanical, but it's freaking amazing for the time.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

NES: Blades of Steel. This was the game of choice when we would get a crowd together senior year of college. Fights were frequent, and if you won the fight, you went on the power play. I actually owned this one along with the system. It was awesome!

SNES: Rock n' Roll Racing. My wife and I must have rented this 20 times, or more, when it came out. I seem to recall it was really hard to find to purchase too. Early Blizzard title.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Most of the games I remember best have already been mentioned, but a few that I didn't see:

NES
Blaster Master: I can't remember much, but I loved getting out of the vehicle to get into tight spaces
Castlevania 2: had some light RPG elements. Never beat it cause I got stuck at one area and had no idea where to go
Faxandu: Another action RPG. I probably rented this game from our local movie rental place more than any other
Baseball Stars: sort of a baseball RPG
Double Dribble: the dunking animation was the best

SNES
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: my brother and I would play this for hours. He was much better than me, but sometimes I could cheese him with Blanka or E. Honda
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 am Most of the games I remember best have already been mentioned, but a few that I didn't see:

NES
Blaster Master: I can't remember much, but I loved getting out of the vehicle to get into tight spaces
Castlevania 2: had some light RPG elements. Never beat it cause I got stuck at one area and had no idea where to go
Faxandu: Another action RPG. I probably rented this game from our local movie rental place more than any other
Baseball Stars: sort of a baseball RPG
Double Dribble: the dunking animation was the best

SNES
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: my brother and I would play this for hours. He was much better than me, but sometimes I could cheese him with Blanka or E. Honda
Oh man I loved Blaster Master. Played through that another time in college on an emulator. One thing that really stands out about that game to me was the music - had a pretty killer soundtrack, especially for the confines of a NES game.

I also played an absolute ton of Street Fighter 2 (pre-Super pre-Turbo). Got really good with Ryu - I believe I managed to win the game once without losing a round (which gives you the treat of a slightly different closing screen).
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kelan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 am NES: Blades of Steel. This was the game of choice when we would get a crowd together senior year of college. Fights were frequent, and if you won the fight, you went on the power play. I actually owned this one along with the system. It was awesome!
I loved Blades of Steel. So much better than the "fat guy, medium guy, small guy" hockey game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Kelan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 am NES: Blades of Steel. This was the game of choice when we would get a crowd together senior year of college. Fights were frequent, and if you won the fight, you went on the power play. I actually owned this one along with the system. It was awesome!
I loved Blades of Steel. So much better than the "fat guy, medium guy, small guy" hockey game.
I did love that game too, though. Fat Guy rocked.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:26 pm I disagree with you guys about great games of the past especially NES and SNES. I'm talking about the 'Great' part of the title.
It's hard to say for sure. I couldn't go back to Herzog Twie but I do think I could go back and Nintendo Wrestling and have a blast. I think I'd enjoy Wizardry for a little while, though probably not enough to make a full team of Uber Ninjas. RotK and Nobunga's Ambition, I'd have to try to see if the wargame would appeal enough to me or if I'd want "more".
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:20 pm I loved that one. I played it several times, but trying to finish it about made my head explode.
I don't think I ever beat it, though I got close. It really opened up once you got access to the good guns and spells. I just loved the setting so much... I didn't even know it was a PnP RPG at the time. My favourite part was the music. It's just so SNES.

Grinding with the pistol was hell though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I beat Starflight many many times but kept re renting it over a few years. God I love that game. Still my favorite. And its still my favorite space game like it even on PC. Star Control 2 came close. But for some reason no one ever does the mining planets like Starflight on Genesis. You have mining scanners and a away vehicle. You scan as you go and deposits light up on the ground. Not little icons or objects to run over but glowing patches ONLY after you scan. Then you actually have to use a button to mine. You can upgrade your mining scanner to find more and better minerals and get more cargo space to haul them. I loved that. Missed it in games since.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh, and I loved NHLPA93 on the SNES. At one point I figured out that if you skated to the side of the goalie, and skated across the goal and shot it far post, that you would score like 90% of the time. At that point I took the worst team in the game at that point (the Ottawa Senators) and ripped off undefeated playoffs, winning each game by scores of 25 - 0 and the like.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:36 pm Oh, and I loved NHLPA93 on the SNES. At one point I figured out that if you skated to the side of the goalie, and skated across the goal and shot it far post, that you would score like 90% of the time. At that point I took the worst team in the game at that point (the Ottawa Senators) and ripped off undefeated playoffs, winning each game by scores of 25 - 0 and the like.
We had all gotten so good at the specific deke that resulted in an insta-goal that we implemented a "no breakaway" house rule. Any goal that was scored that way in head-to-head games didn't count.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ohh more NES games that I didn't mention:

Contra (hard as hell!)
Metal Gear (one of my favorites)
Kid Icarus (hard as hell!)
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Flashback

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Remember playing so much Silent Service (Sid Meier's WW2 submarine game) I decided to borrow any books available from my school lib, and also went to used bookstores, and borrowed anything, fiction or non-fiction, regarding WW2 subs. I can pretty much time the Japanese destroyer escorts that I can hit one with a rear torpedo while we circle each other.

In fact, have almost all the MicroProse games from way back when.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:36 pm Oh, and I loved NHLPA93 on the SNES. At one point I figured out that if you skated to the side of the goalie, and skated across the goal and shot it far post, that you would score like 90% of the time. At that point I took the worst team in the game at that point (the Ottawa Senators) and ripped off undefeated playoffs, winning each game by scores of 25 - 0 and the like.
Haha it was the exact same thing in ESPN National Hockey Night when played in horizontal mode. Overhead was tougher. I hated finding those exploits, because then I had to choose not to use them if I wanted a fair game. I also learned how to get a hit almost every time in Tecmo Super Baseball. I remember I'd purposefully pitch badly to try to let the other team catch up. :lol:

hexanti

Post by hexanti »

Here's a few that come to my mind:

Solomon's Key. Great platforming puzzle game.

Golf. It's kind of the birth of Mario Golf. There's a lot of fun in it's simplicity to me.

RBI Baseball. Again, the simplicity makes it fun. I like it better than standard "Baseball".

The Donkey Kong games are great if you like that sort of thing (I do!). Classics like that might not be up everyone's alley though.

Zelda 2. I saw it mentioned and I'll agree, this game is seriously hard. That said, I had a TON of fun playing it on an emulation with save states. Gave me a new appreciation for it and what they were trying to accomplish.

Rygar. This is on my back log, but it's supposed to be an incredible game I've heard so many good things about from multiple YouTubers. I haven't actually played it though.

Punch Out (any variant). You can't really go wrong.

Kirby. Speaks for itself.

Super Sprint. Great top down racing game based on an arcade game.

Batman and Batman: Return of the Joker. Just great games.

Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck.

_____
Personally, I'm going to test my luck with https://www.nongamstopsites.co.uk/ after some positive reviews of my bros. As far as I know, you can easily increase your opportunities to win dealing with trustworthy gambling portal.
Last edited by hexanti on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Nice put pass!

I liked Master Blaster and RC Pro Am.
words
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I have never actually played an NES game!
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

THREAD KILL

One NES game I never hear anyone talk about is Air Fortress. More people should play it, it's a bonafide classic. It's designed by HAL, you're breaking into a series of space stations, blowing up the reactors and escaping. I LOVE it.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How do you know this is you never played a NES game?