[Disney+] Moon Knight

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Disney+] Moon Knight

Post by Smoove_B »

We've had random discussions, but here is the thread.

EDIT: See below
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Re: [Disney+] Moon Knight

Post by YellowKing »

I am REALLY looking forward to this. Moon Knight was one of the first comic books I ever read (besides Archie). My granddad bought an entire garbage bag full of comics at a yard sale and brought them home, and it was chock full of Moon Knight.

I think it could make for a *very* interesting series, if only because Marc Spector is one of the most psychologically jacked up heroes in the Marvel universe.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I think for those that are sick of the typical superhero formula, this story could really be different enough that it becomes interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hmmm not sure. Always loved the name of the hero and loved the costume. But never did get into reading the comic. I wasn't into non super powered heroes as a kid..not even Batman.

But I do love Oscar Isaac. I think he is the next big Hollywood actor to be really. Not sure taking this will help him get there..but as an actor I think he is great.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love that they're sticking to "mentally unstable" Moon Knight instead of making him yet another bland superhero.

Oh...and Oscar Isaac can do no wrong. So there's that too.
Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:06 pm But I do love Oscar Isaac. I think he is the next big Hollywood actor to be really. Not sure taking this will help him get there..
I'm pretty sure he's already there. :wink:
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Woohoo! Loved reading Moon Knight when I was younger.

May be i can get a ROM series/movie someday and Micronauts back on track.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lassr wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:08 pm Woohoo! Loved reading Moon Knight when I was younger.

May be i can get a ROM series/movie someday and Micronauts back on track.
Ditto
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish I still had my Rom knight action figure…so I could make the neighbors nervous about the middle aged guy running around the block pretending to make his action figure fly.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:39 pm I wish I still had my Rom knight action figure…so I could make the neighbors nervous about the middle aged guy running around the block pretending to make his action figure fly.
I had one of those also, have no idea what happened to it. Probably sold in a yard sale.

I still have some of my Micronauts toys in the attic.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Biotron was the schnizznits.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I know nothing about Moon Night. Literally my only exposure to the character is the Zen Pinball table (which is great). That looks pretty interesting though, and I’ll watch Oscar Isaac in anything.

May resub to D+ and give it a look if the feedback is good.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still have some of my ROM and Micronaut comics. Cant find my Micronaut action figures. Think you used to buy them at K-Mart.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Teaser trailers should make you want to see more. This one just makes me want to see a better teaser trailer. But I will remain cautiously optimistic. Oscar Isaac is one of the 14 actors I'd pay to watch install linoleum flooring.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe coming soon?
Anyway: We bring this up, not just because we’re always thinking about our man Moon Knight, but because there are rumors circulating online today that Disney+ has set a premiere date for its TV adaptation of the character, starring Isaac as Spector: March 30.

That’s fairly soon, given that we still know precious little about the series, aside from Isaac’s involvement. (He also serves as executive producer.) The series will presumably feature some version of the character’s origin story; it’s also set to co-star May Calamawy and Ethan Hawke, the latter playing a character whose portrayal Hawke has said was based on David Koresh. Fun!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I know nothing about Moon Night. Literally my only exposure to the character is the Zen Pinball table (which is great). That looks pretty interesting though, and I’ll watch Oscar Isaac in anything.

May resub to D+ and give it a look if the feedback is good.
I was a huge fan of Werewolf by Night and still have good first appearance in that mag in a box!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Trailer:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That looks great. I have full faith in Oscar Isaac to elevate anything he's in, so optimism is high.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I know very little about this character, but the trailer looks great... excited to see where it goes!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They appear to be leaning either more on the supernatural aspect of the character, or going whole hog on the psychological aspect. I hope the former and less the latter though.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Continuing my trend of being seemingly "broken" and not enjoying what everyone else finds great, that trailer did nothing for me. Lots of psychosis and a brief scene of the latest batman, but in white, punching the hell out of somebody already on the ground.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 pm They appear to be leaning either more on the supernatural aspect of the character, or going whole hog on the psychological aspect. I hope the former and less the latter though.
I'm guessing more Jessica Jones (aka mental health) and less Wandavision. Although I did enjoy JJ.

I was a big MK fan in the 80s. Think I even have the first issue from his standalone run.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm Continuing my trend of being seemingly "broken" and not enjoying what everyone else finds great, that trailer did nothing for me. Lots of psychosis and a brief scene of the latest batman, but in white, punching the hell out of somebody already on the ground.
There are so many ways this could have gone wrong from the get go, I think folks are just happy it isn't a disaster in the trailer even.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Freyland wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm Continuing my trend of being seemingly "broken" and not enjoying what everyone else finds great, that trailer did nothing for me. Lots of psychosis and a brief scene of the latest batman, but in white, punching the hell out of somebody already on the ground.
I'm with you. The mental illness side of the character makes me cringe. In a way all non-superpowered vigilante superheroes are mentally ill but Moon Knight seems to take it in a direction that I have no interest in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not just you.

I’ve liked what little I’ve read of the MK character and I like the actors involved, but none of these trailers have done anything for me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That whole "can't tell if it's a dream" angle seriously turned me off on it. It makes it sound like the viewer will be left wondering (which I hate), or we'll watch the main character going in and out of crazy for the whole film (which I dislike.) Serious Mr. Robot vibes for me there. People losing their mind isn't entertaining for me. It's not even boring - it's actively unpleasant.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is Moon Knight. The character is supposed to be unhinged. That’s a major part of his history. I have no issues with that. I just don’t want it to turn into “it’s all just a dream”, although I believe it won’t.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd like Batman better if he wasn't compelled to dress like a bat and fight crime because his parents were killed. :wink:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then maybe it's not the show for me. I find stories built primarily around extreme mental illness to be extremely unpleasant.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, Hep's article is good, but it was also covered yesterday on Screenrant as the show seems to be getting closer to release:
Marc Spector’s traumatic childhood experience, along with his mind getting fractured from Khonshu connecting with him, caused him to develop Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). Previously referred to as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), DID is a mental disorder characterized by having at least two distinct identities. Aside from a “core” identity, people with DID also have “alters,” or alternate personalities. These identities tend to be different from each other, in terms of ethnicities, genders, and even preferences, affecting behavior, functioning, and thinking processes. Additionally, DID is accompanied by memory gaps about personal details and history and/or day-to-day events. As a result, those afflicted with Dissociative Identity Disorder feel disconnected from their own bodies, and at times, they may lose control over their speech and actions, becoming mere observers of themselves.

In the Moon Knight comics, Marc Spector has alters that include billionaire businessman Steven Grant, cab driver Jake Lockley, and consultant Mr. Knight. He uses these identities to gather information from various social circles and fight crime. However, it seems that the Moon Knight series will be deviating from Steven’s background, as he becomes the focus of the show and is portrayed as a gift shop employee instead. Nevertheless, the repetition of the line “I can’t tell the difference between my waking life and dreams” in Moon Knight’s trailer depicts the severity of his condition. This is followed by shots of Moon Knight showing up in Steven’s reflection, him hallucinating in the elevator, and him being shocked that he has a gun.

Hopefully, Moon Knight’s debut in Phase 4 signals that the MCU is finally open to discussing such issues in-depth, beyond crass humor or casual comments. Given the gravity of Marc Spector’s Dissociative Identity Disorder and how it affects his actions, Moon Knight should embrace this condition as a significant part of his origin story rather than sensationalize it, thus avoiding unrealistic and harmful representation in the process.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In a way all non-superpowered vigilante superheroes are mentally ill
Wait what? Moonknight has superpowers and mystical powers. Not a lot and not big deals unless you count resists and being able to drain a persons life on touch along with super strength and such.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Well, I hope he isn't a major character in case there is a sequel. Tragic.

Gaspard Ulliel dies in accident.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:42 pm Then maybe it's not the show for me. I find stories built primarily around extreme mental illness to be extremely unpleasant.
It's how they handle it that matters. If they deal with it in an adult fashion and not trivialize it or make it into a joke, and they include disclaimers with advice on how to contact someone if you're struggling with mental health issues, it can serve the greater good.

But as YK pointed out, many superheroes are born out of mental illness/trauma of some type.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No doubt it can be beneficial. I just really dislike drama built around mental suffering. There's a distinction between a drama in which people suffer (which is vital for most storytelling) and drama built around people suffering. It's the same reason I dislike prison shows, psychological horror, and 'real crime' shows - all generally built around mental suffering and anguish. It's why I like the Jane episodes of Doom Patrol the least, despite recognizing the power of the performance.

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:08 pm But as YK pointed out, many superheroes are born out of mental illness/trauma of some type.
Maybe. But very few Batman (or Deadpool, or whatever) comics are built around Batman writhing in misery because of it. A scene or an issue now and then, but overall, no. And even then, I generally like Scarecrow stories the least.

Maybe it's my difficulty in understanding people. Maybe it is just my own experience with mental illness. I don't know. I just can't watch it without ending up tuning it out to avoid thinking about it, and then having no idea what the story is actually about.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
French actor Gaspard Ulliel, star of “It’s Only the End of the World” and Marvel’s upcoming “Moon Knight” series, has died following a ski accident in the French Alps on Wednesday, according to news agency AFP. He was 37.

The Cesar-winning actor was skiing in the Savoie region when he collided with another skier at an intersection between two slopes and suffered a serious brain trauma on Tuesday. He was transported by helicopter at a hospital in Grenoble.
Underscoring his international profile, Ulliel was cast as Midnight Man in Marvel’s highly anticipated “Moon Knight.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:30 pm Variety
SNIP
Scroll up to nonny's post...BAM!...I finally got to do an Isg :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm No doubt it can be beneficial. I just really dislike drama built around mental suffering. There's a distinction between a drama in which people suffer (which is vital for most storytelling) and drama built around people suffering.
The only distinction I can see is whether or not the main character is the one suffering from mental illness. Moon Knight isn't about mental illness, it's about someone who happens to have a mental illness. Jessica Jones, WandaVision, and Legion are three others off the top of my head you should avoid because they all share someone experiencing mental anguish.

But if you find them uncomfortable to watch, you should definitely avoid them. Life's too short to subject yourself to stuff that traumatizes you. You just saved yourself an hour a week! Use that time to paint! :wink:
He won. Period.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Both Got and missed the BAM!

even got bammed on the bam!
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:26 pm No doubt it can be beneficial. I just really dislike drama built around mental suffering. There's a distinction between a drama in which people suffer (which is vital for most storytelling) and drama built around people suffering.
The only distinction I can see is whether or not the main character is the one suffering from mental illness.
Not at all. It's how much of a focus the mental illness is, not who is affected. To bring back Doom Patrol (because it's an easy example), Cliff suffers from mental illnesses. So does Larry. And when there's an episode focused on them, it's a factor. But when there's a Jane episode, it's the core of the story.

I've just had too much of that in my life to want to relive it for fun.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A nonny mouse wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:39 pm even got bammed on the bam!

:lol: