[Disney+] Moon Knight

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: [Disney+] Moon Knight

Post by Lassr »

and I read the last episode is only 42 minutes. :shock: Not sure how they wrap it up in that time frame.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Simple. Oscar wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette and we find out it was all a dream. 15 minutes, tops.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:23 am Simple. Oscar wakes up next to Suzanne Pleshette and we find out it was all a dream. 15 minutes, tops.
someone needs to photoshop Moonknight head on Bob Newhart now
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As a huge Moon Knight comics fan, I'm enjoying the series overall - though it's more due to Oscar Isaac than the actual show. I think my familiarity with the comics is hurting me, as I'm just not interested in the hyper-focus on his mental issues and just want to get to the "superhero" part. Of which there is very little in this show.

The "this is reality....WAIT FOOLED YOU! IT'S NOT!......OR IS IT? IT IS! NOPE, GOTCHA! It's NOT! But maybe it IS!" schtick is starting to get REALLY old to me. That's great for a couple of episodes. After five, I'm like OK I get it, he's got some issues. Can we get to Moon Knight fighting someone now?

It's weird because I usually enjoy superhero shows with more depth and less by-the-numbers CGI battles, but in this case I feel like the pendulum swung a bit too far in that direction.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Not enjoying the series, but that's probably the same reason I never read any of the MK comics for the last 40-ish years. I like Oscar Isaac but just not digging this whole thing. The question I have is how do they integrate this character into the larger MCU without ignoring 95% of this story arc? I mean, that isn't necessary, and doesn't change the value of this series as a whole. Just not my bag, though my daughter is enjoying the Egyptian references a lot.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m worried that they won’t be able to tie all the storylines up. I haven’t seen any announcements, but my guess is we end on a cliffhanger and have a second season announced.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It does seem like they have set themselves a herculean task to wrap this up considering the pacing they've established so far.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Near the end of the final episode, when all looks lost, the camera suddenly swings to a quiet, idyllic cabin, in which Wanda Maximoff casually waves her hand, never looking up from her recipe book. Problem solved!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But how are you going to work Suzanne Pleshette into it? :?
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Why wake up to Suzanne Pleshette when you wake up next to Bea Arthur?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks to today's VR, I do!
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Final episode (6):
Spoiler:
I'm not sure how to feel about that. The ending definitely felt rushed to me, yet it was still satisfying? I feel the need to compare it to a cartoon once again. Some of the shows I watched as a kid in the early 90s tried to tell complex stories (often over multi-parters), and sometimes they pulled it off... but they still felt compressed in contrast to something theatrical. They were limited to 22-minute blocks. That's what this feels like to me. There's a richness that's often just missing. I think the show needed 8+ episodes, but it was still a lot of fun.

- Things got kind of silly with the "kaiju" battle. Ammit eat the souls to get big (not sure why she needed to get big in the first place), but then Khonshu increased in size to face her just because? Thank goodness they had that magic spell to pull out of their asses.

- Why does it seem everyone can see Khonshu now, and Ammit for that matter? So much was made about only avatars being able to see their gods. Is it because Ammit, awakened (or whatever), existed in a different state? Perhaps each god works differently, but this was still bugging me.

- I'm still a bit confused regarding the mental hospital. Obviously it's a construct of Marc's mind, and that integrated with the whole death ship/balancing of the scales thing in episode 5. But why did we go back to it in this episode? Was it just a dream? The show didn't need the hospital to allow Marc's personalities to communicate earlier in the season. [So I went back to episode five and re-watched some of it. Marc calls it an "organizing principal". But I feel like if the audience gets confused by it, there's a problem. Not that I'm always the most clever viewer, but this isn't Tenet here.]

- Was the "big reveal" in the end credits scene worth it? I guess it means more to those with a knowledge of the comics, but does it really mean much within the show? They didn't do much to introduce the character in the series. It would be an appropriate plot of a second season, but is that likely to occur? Apparently the character made a stealth appearance in episode five at around 04:30. Are there other scenes he appears in (other than the obvious ones)? Why wasn't there a third heart etc. on the death boat? Why the hell was Khonshu wearing a suit in the back of the limo lmao? It makes sense the gods can modernize their appearances, but it was silly in a way that made me giggle.

I enjoyed this show a lot and I hope they make more. I tried not to nitpick it too much... I think there are definitely a lot of story elements that don't add up or are undeveloped, but it's just a fun ride.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed May 04, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finished the final episode. Very, surprisingly short. I enjoyed the show and look forward to seeing more. Fairly confused, and Sudy's criticisms are spot on. But, everything about this is so weird and strange to me. (Shrugs) I enjoy it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got my nitpicks about the show, but as a comic book fan, the final wrap-up brought a big smile to my face.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I really enjoyed this series, and I hope there's more down the road (D+ series, movie, whatever).

The ending definitely went by in a flash, but I suppose it's better than drawing things out. I really loved
Spoiler:
Layla (Leila?) as the avatar of Taweret. More of her in the MCU, please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The show overall was very good, but the finale (while it had it's moments) is mostly meh. 95% because it was bizarrely rushed. Honestly feels like they were writing this as if they had nine or ten episodes only to be told after the fifth episode that they only had more.

I hope that there's another season of this.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

AWS260 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:50 pm
Spoiler:
Layla (Leila?) as the avatar of Taweret. More of her in the MCU, please.
Seconded
Spoiler:
I would love to see her and Captain Falcon team up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed it, but I agree with most of the complaints I'm seeing here. It was also weird that they veered so off course from the comics while still adhering to the basic concept of the comics. They leaned WAY more into the Egyptian mythology aspect than I remember the comics ever doing. But it worked (for the most part) and was kind of a refreshing change of pace from the other Marvel shows. Plus, I mean...it's Oscar Isaac.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

How come
Spoiler:
Ammit's avatar was able to pound 6 other avatars, especially with one being of the head god?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I guess I'm an outlier because I really did not like this show. It was just too much for me. Forcing these "Gods" into the MCU just doesn't work on any level that makes any sense. I thought the writing was poor (even for an MCU show), a lot of the action scenes were poorly directed, the constant back and forth between characters means we hardly ever actually got to see Moonknight in action and as far as I could tell Arthur's main power was that he could walk anywhere really slowly with a cane and no one seemed interested in actually trying to stop him. I mean there's an entire episode where Mark/Steven are looking for Arthur, he then suddenly appears at the same weird party as them and they do exactly jack to try and stop him, instead they start fighting the party guy's lackeys.

FYI I am a huge MCU fan and I would easily rank this below Eternals as my least favorite MCU property. (I haven't seen Miss Marvel yet or Thor L&T, so there's still time for Moonknight to crawl out of last place).
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:44 am I guess I'm an outlier because I really did not like this show. It was just too much for me. Forcing these "Gods" into the MCU just doesn't work on any level that makes any sense.
Yeah! What's next? Odin? Thor? Zeus!?!

:P
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:23 am
Scraper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:44 am I guess I'm an outlier because I really did not like this show. It was just too much for me. Forcing these "Gods" into the MCU just doesn't work on any level that makes any sense.
Yeah! What's next? Odin? Thor? Zeus!?!

:P
That made sense because they aren't really gods. They're just aliens with advanced technology and physical traits way beyond that of humans. Now I admit the Comic Book universe has all of these characters and it works, but mostly because they don't really overlap each other that much.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Marvel has always played fast and loose with the whole "the gods are aliens" stuff. Even the movies do that too. Odin, Zeus and the powerful beings from Moon Knight are all gods for all intents and purposes. Love and Thunder has a room full of gods...including Egyptian ones. So I see no reason not to lump all the gods we saw in Moon Knight in with all the ones we see in the movies.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Scraper wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:44 am as far as I could tell Arthur's main power was that he could walk anywhere really slowly with a cane and no one seemed interested in actually trying to stop him
I really liked Moon Knight, but this comment is gold.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Sorry late to the show but Episode 5 really was depressing but kept me glued to the show the entire time. Issac Oscar really pulls off all the emotion and I never once didn't believe what I was watching. Still, made me sad.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906