[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Daehawk »

91 years old and still voicing Vader. James is amazing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey guys! Know what? I like Star Wars. It's fun. It makes me happy.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I know something is happening right now, just not what.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've said it in other threads - I'm a casual Star Wars fan. So far, the Mandalorian is the high-water mark for me. I wanted to like the Book of Boba Fett, but it didn't really come together until the last few episodes (imho). That said, I am really liking Obi-Wan - episode 3 in particular was just so damn enjoyable. Maybe it's because it's sparking my memories of seeing Empire as a kid in the theater, but man...these first three episodes have been so good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:05 pm Hey guys! Know what? I like Star Wars. It's fun. It makes me happy.
If it's not clear, I'm completely with you!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:05 pm Hey guys! Know what? I like Star Wars. It's fun. It makes me happy.
Pfff. And you call yourself a fan.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think Obi-Wan is a ton of fun and entertaining, and I also think it has some cringe acting and writing. The two seemingly aren't mutually exclusive in my brain.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:00 pm I think Obi-Wan is a ton of fun and entertaining, and I also think it has some cringe acting and writing. The two seemingly aren't mutually exclusive in my brain.
How could they ever be if you've ever enjoyed Star Wars, right ?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:27 pm Whatever happened to the Rule of Two? Only two Sith? Or are these guys not Sith?
They are not Sith. They may hope to be one some day.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:00 pm I think Obi-Wan is a ton of fun and entertaining, and I also think it has some cringe acting and writing. The two seemingly aren't mutually exclusive in my brain.
I agree. Some of the writing isn't great but I think that some of it is because they are trying to make things that are difficult to make work.
Spoiler:
For instance Vader and Ben not knowing the other is still alive. How can Vader not know Leia is not his daughter when he's so close? How can people know Leia is adopted. It's things like that that make it difficult to write it organically when you have to skirt some of those issues.
Some of the acting is cringey but I think that some of that is to throw you off the trail. I haven't read any books but I think:
Spoiler:
Holman mentioned more depth to the Reva character. I think they're making her over the top to hide that she is actually hoping to kill Vader. She wants desperately to get close to him and get revenge for him killing a childhood friend. When she goes into the hiding spot she sees someone was there. I think she was one of the children taken and a close friend/relative was killed either by Vader or killed during order 66. Also, she's the only human and human's are good.
One thing I loved was how the stormtroopers are somewhat menacing. In the transport they're talking to Ben and Leia about why they are there and it's somehwhat off putting having their helmets just 'staring' at you. No expression whatsoever. I've never gotten that feeling before in a Star Wars movie/show.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

EvilHomer3K wrote:In the transport they're talking to Ben and Leia about why they are there and it's somehwhat off putting having their helmets just 'staring' at you. No expression whatsoever. I've never gotten that feeling before in a Star Wars movie/show.
The first time I ever felt that was at Disney Hollywood Studios. At certain points during the day Kylo Ren would come through the park followed by a huge unit of stormtroopers. Seeing them marching through the streets with the Empire music playing right there in "real life" was goosebump-inducing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am apparently we're onto episode 3. I thought it came out on Fridays. I stupidly clicked on the no context spoilers in this thread. grrr.

Time to bow out until I finish the series. Just sucks because it's nice to see conversation as it happens :)
Honestly, I think you should apologize. (I say this mildly... not with the severity that statement normally comes with)

There is no shame on someone that places their comment's in an Obi-Wan Kenobi forum under a Spoiler Tag - that they did not do enough to keep you from being spoiled.

Honest to god, what level of personal responsibility does it take to not realize that this isn't entirely on you - and while I understand 100% your frustration - it is not right to shun the author of a Spoiler'ed message that you assumed you were safe to consume. And this is said within the context that no one wants to spoil someone on this, so to call someone out like you did - seems a little like shifting the blame.

:?

edit: I am also not trying to come down on you too hard here... just pushing back. As I said - I totally understand the knee-jerk reaction to being spoiled unexpectedly.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:29 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am apparently we're onto episode 3. I thought it came out on Fridays. I stupidly clicked on the no context spoilers in this thread. grrr.

Time to bow out until I finish the series. Just sucks because it's nice to see conversation as it happens :)
Honestly, I think you should apologize. (I say this mildly... not with the severity that statement normally comes with)

There is no shame on someone that places their comment's in an Obi-Wan Kenobi forum under a Spoiler Tag - that they did not do enough to keep you from being spoiled.

Honest to god, what level of personal responsibility does it take to not realize that this isn't entirely on you - and while I understand 100% your frustration - it is not right to shun the author of a Spoiler'ed message that you assumed you were safe to consume. And this is said within the context that no one wants to spoil someone on this, so to call someone out like you did - seems a little like shifting the blame.

:?

edit: I am also not trying to come down on you too hard here... just pushing back. As I said - I totally understand the knee-jerk reaction to being spoiled unexpectedly.
This might be a conversation best had in the meta forum. It comes up in various threads on shows but there shouldn't be a different guideline based on the show (also fuck AMC for that bullshit they do where they air online before airing on 'cable'). Maybe, once and for all, we can decide as a group when to use spoiler tags and when not to (I'm almost entirely on the not to side).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At the risk of causing a tangent, my general policy is to create spoiler "clues" to let the person reading know (broadly) what I'm about to spoil.

Spoilers without any type of label are problematic, imho, and if people just added a basic label to them it would help to mitigate ruining anything for a show that is currently running.

How long we're supposed to wait after a movie is released or an entire TV series has aired, I still don't know.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm afraid to come in here because I don't want to spoil the show. you could say I'm....scared sithless.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Obi-Wan lives to be old. There Ive ruined it you can safely avoid that spoiler in the future. So he wont be dying in this show.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

This week's episode was excellent, but frustratingly short! (SPOILER ALERT!)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 pm How long we're supposed to wait after a movie is released or an entire TV series has aired, I still don't know.
It's really quite simple. Until I've seen it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 pm Obi-Wan lives to be old. There Ive ruined it you can safely avoid that spoiler in the future. So he wont be dying in this show.
HA! Watch them have the scene from the movie where he dies, just to prove you wrong! :)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

IMO: Spoiler tags in a thread meant for discussing the subject of the thread are an unnecessary waste of time. You don't want it spoiled? Don't go in until you are caught up. Spoiler tags are only needed when discussing things that happened in the book or when guessing what will happen in the future based on some other knowledge. There are two exceptions I am willing to grant. One is for shows where they air the show online for subscribers a week before it's out for general consumption in a series. The second is in threads about the streaming service (Netflix, Paramount Plus, Disney, etc). I cancelled netflix last month and will renew it at the end of this month. I'm not going into Ozark threads or Stranger Things threads because there is a reasonable expectation that things will be spoiled in those threads (I am also avoiding the Netflix thread). No one knows how long things should be in spoiler tags as they have no idea when ILB (or anyone else) has watched it. Then it's up to the poster to decide when to spoiler tag things and every person will have a different statute of limitations that they are applying. Therefore the only way to do it is don't spoiler anything as long as the episode has aired. Anything else is just anarchy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:41 pm At the risk of causing a tangent, my general policy is to create spoiler "clues" to let the person reading know (broadly) what I'm about to spoil.

Spoilers without any type of label are problematic, imho, and if people just added a basic label to them it would help to mitigate ruining anything for a show that is currently running.
+1. That's all that's really needed with a series. And it isn't a requirement, just a courtesy to let people who are still catching up participate in the discussion.

Episode 3:
Spoiler:
WORDS ABOUT EPISODE 3!
vs
Spoiler:
OMG FUTURE WORDS!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:15 pm IMO: Spoiler tags in a thread meant for discussing the subject of the thread are an unnecessary waste of time. You don't want it spoiled? Don't go in until you are caught up.
The problem with that is that it prevents hearing general impressions of the show before you've watched it, or reading news about the show between seasons if you're not fully caught up.

And no, nothing is required. But if we can type one word and click one button to let more people participate in the community and have fun, then why wouldn't we?
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:15 pm
Spoiler:
IMO: Spoiler tags in a thread meant for discussing the subject of the thread are an unnecessary waste of time. You don't want it spoiled? Don't go in until you are caught up.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm
Spoiler:
The problem with that is that it prevents hearing general impressions of the show before you've watched it, or reading news about the show between seasons if you're not fully caught up.
Spoiler:
Are general impressions something people are reading after page 1? Page 2? At what point can we stop spoiler tagging? Page 24?
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm And no, nothing is required. But if we can type one word and click one button to let more people participate in the community and have fun, then why wouldn't we?
It's not one click and one word:
Spoiler:
Every spoiler requires everyone else to click to read.
and then there's
Spoiler:
You have to adjust your quotes and your spoiler tags if you want to give their post The Treatment
but also:
Spoiler:
Everyone else who responds to quoted spoilers has to do the same.
Also:
Spoiler:
Everyone responding to the double quote spoilered stuff has to wade through a pile of code to format it.
Finally:
Spoiler:
People who quote a wall of text to respond without breaking it up should be tazed.
Final finally in this post:
Spoiler:
At this point I assume you get that nested quotes and spoilers are messy.
Spoiler:
But if not I've done this last one to emphasize my point.
Spoiler:
I bet you've seen posts like this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Anyhow....

I just watched the latest episode, Episode 4, and I thought it was excellent.

I especially liked :
Spoiler:
when Ben started to get his groove back with the lightsaber and was able to start controlling his deflected shots
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We just had this question:
So, how is Ms. Marvel?
And this reply:
She's doing great...in her own thread. :P
But he can't go into that thread because he hasn't seen it yet, so I guess he's just out of luck and stop asking his friends questions like that.

Again, it isn't so much effort that we should be hesitant to do it to allow people to participate.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just watched Episode 4, and I thought it was pretty strong.

General impression:
Spoiler:
It was a tense, well-paced rescue plot. Kenobi getting his juju back was well-done.

I do wonder why the Imperials would risk breakable glass in their underwater base, but apparently they're big into whale watching.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:17 pm Just watched Episode 4, and I thought it was pretty strong.

General impression:
Spoiler:
It was a tense, well-paced rescue plot. Kenobi getting his juju back was well-done.

I do wonder why the Imperials would risk breakable glass in their underwater base, but apparently they're big into whale watching.
Addressing the spoiler I think the base was designed the same design team that thinks that safety railings are an unnecessary expense... :wink:

I also have been enjoying the show!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:40 pm We just had this question:
So, how is Ms. Marvel?
And this reply:
She's doing great...in her own thread. :P
But he can't go into that thread because he hasn't seen it yet, so I guess he's just out of luck and stop asking his friends questions like that.

Again, it isn't so much effort that we should be hesitant to do it to allow people to participate.
It's really about setting up guidelines so we don't have to wonder when it's okay to discuss something without having to spoiler everything. For example, why do we need spoilers for shows on season 3 (or 10). What about spoilers for Dexter which just popped up on the front page and started way back in 2009? When is it okay to discuss a movie without using spoiler tags? I want hard and fast rules so I can ban people who break them. But you and I seem to be the only ones interested in the topic so I guess it's just going to be anarchy. I wish the empire would step in and impose some order.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Once it's common knowledge I see no reason to care about spoilers. Other than that, I see no reason not to click the button. Why risk someone's fun to avoid them? Because someone else has to click them to read them? It's a mouse click. It's 1/2000th of a Diablo session. By your reasoning (don't go into any thread until you know everything that might be discussed), the spoiler tags serve no purpose whatsoever.

Again, when it is a question between excluding people or risking ruining their experience, highlight it and click the button. It isn't a major hassle for the benefits it gives to people. It's like whether to push the shopping cart into the corral or leave it between the parking spaces. Honestly, I don't even understand why it's contentious.

If in doubt, click the damned button.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Major spoiler about Citizen Kane:
Spoiler:
It's not the greatest movie of all time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

What was the (apparently insufficiently labeled) spoiler that sparked the current debate?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:39 pm What was the (apparently insufficiently labeled) spoiler that sparked the current debate?
I don't know. I sent a PM to him asking if it was because Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru actually die but he hasn't replied.

In all seriousness, I think it was because
Spoiler:
Vader
made an appearance in the last episode and opened a can a whoop-ass, to the delight of nerds everywhere.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:12 pm Major spoiler about Citizen Kane:
Spoiler:
It's not the greatest movie of all time.
It’s definitely one of the greatest films ever made. It changed so many things and helped create the kind of moviemaking we take for granted today.

Now, if you want to claim Waterworld isn’t the greatest film of all time, we can talk.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Honestly I thought "anarchy" was working pretty well. I admit I have little idea what the "rules" are, but I've just always done what I see others doing and then maybe a little extra caution. People read threads for different reasons. I've definitely wanted to pop into a thread to discuss things before I'm caught up on a series, and often have decided not to because I don't want to be spoiled. If it's near the air date, you can check the post dates carefully. But if I'm a season or more behind, I'm not looking up air dates so I can cross-reference. Spoilers suck. It does also suck when an entire page of posts is spoilered. But I think it sucks a little less, so I err on the side of over-spoilering. I'm sure there have been times I've completely forgotten though.

Episode 4:
Spoiler:
I really liked the action scenes. The lightsaber fighting is graceful and methodical. I know deflecting blaster fire is a huge component of what defensive saber-users do, but in the hallway battle it seemed a bit excessive. It also seemed like Ben had unrealistically perfect aim.

I could do without the cute droid. I adore droids, but every series/film doesn't need to introduce a new one.

I don't care about the variety of runtimes (I'm glad they're not padding things out), but I will say that the pacing can feel a bit off as a result.

The theme/credits music... I know I liked it early on, but it's become an earworm. It's so, so good. I didn't realize it was actually John Williams.

This series continues to walk that uncanny line for me.... One moment my brain accepts it as true Star Wars, but then I find myself once again thinking these weren't stories that needed to be told. It overcomplicates the universe and makes it feel so small. I guess they had a unique opportunity with McGregor, and I'm delighted they took it. I do think it's sufficiently worthwhile entertainment. But there are also a lot of inconsistencies when I think about it critically, and it seems stuck in a cycle of blatant self-worship (like the entire modern franchise).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:28 am Honestly I thought "anarchy" was working pretty well. I admit I have little idea what the "rules" are, but I've just always done what I see others doing and then maybe a little extra caution. People read threads for different reasons. I've definitely wanted to pop into a thread to discuss things before I'm caught up on a series, and often have decided not to because I don't want to be spoiled. If it's near the air date, you can check the post dates carefully. But if I'm a season or more behind, I'm not looking up air dates so I can cross-reference. Spoilers suck. It does also suck when an entire page of posts is spoilered. But I think it sucks a little less, so I err on the side of over-spoilering. I'm sure there have been times I've completely forgotten though.

Episode 4:
Spoiler:
I really liked the action scenes. The lightsaber fighting is graceful and methodical. I know deflecting blaster fire is a huge component of what defensive saber-users do, but in the hallway battle it seemed a bit excessive. It also seemed like Ben had unrealistically perfect aim.

I could do without the cute droid. I adore droids, but every series/film doesn't need to introduce a new one.

I don't care about the variety of runtimes (I'm glad they're not padding things out), but I will say that the pacing can feel a bit off as a result.

The theme/credits music... I know I liked it early on, but it's become an earworm. It's so, so good. I didn't realize it was actually John Williams.

This series continues to walk that uncanny line for me.... One moment my brain accepts it as true Star Wars, but then I find myself once again thinking these weren't stories that needed to be told. It overcomplicates the universe and makes it feel so small. I guess they had a unique opportunity with McGregor, and I'm delighted they took it. I do think it's sufficiently worthwhile entertainment. But there are also a lot of inconsistencies when I think about it critically, and it seems stuck in a cycle of blatant self-worship (like the entire modern franchise).
Spoiler:
Cute droids sell toys.
The different runtimes technically make sense. Why does a show have to be 55 minutes every episode. Some have more to tell than others. But I agree it feels a bit off. I think that's mostly because this particular one was so short.
The saber battle with the stormtroopers had that one guy attacking the surrounded hero at a time feel to it. Which kind of ruined it for me.
I'm not someone who worries too much about canon or whether something is true star wars. If it's good I'm fine with it (even if I complain about inconsistencies). As long as they don't change the rules of the world they've set up I'm fine.
Reva continues to be too perfectly evil to not be a red herring.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:39 pm What was the (apparently insufficiently labeled) spoiler that sparked the current debate?
I don't know. I sent a PM to him asking if it was because Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru actually die but he hasn't replied.

Spoiler:
Vader
made an appearance in the last episode and opened a can a whoop-ass, to the delight of nerds everywhere.
I was worried that it was my first post about episode 3, which did mention that. But it was also clearly labeled as a Big Spoiler about Episode 3.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I heard a reviewer mention this and now I can't unhear it - he was talking about how flat the writing was. And his example was that everything said in the show corresponds to what is happening on screen - there's no subtext, no reading between the lines, no depth to the dialogue. After watching Ep. 4, I completely saw his point. If the show was a book, this would be elementary school reading level.

That said, I'm still enjoying it because....Star Wars. But I also know I couldn't call myself a Star Wars fan if I didn't have something to whine about. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 pm

Spoiler:
Vader
I was worried that it was my first post about episode 3, which did mention that. But it was also clearly labeled as a Big Spoiler about Episode 3.
Nope.

it was El Guapo's blind spoiler
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:05 am
Spoiler:
So....that small fire was enough for Obi Wan to escape from Vader?

Which was as blind as it gets, but in a new series - any spoiler basically should be taken as "Unless you know you are totally caught up" .

I also mistakenly clicked it... so I knew excaxtly what 'the problem' was, but I knew it was on me, and the 'spoiler' really wasn't all that bad.

And really - my main point was it was indeed spoilered...

It felt wrong to blame El Guapo for it - and not just myself... It was basically a "Guess what - Obi-Wan escaped Vader for a reason a person thought was unreasonable", and really wasn't all that much of a spoiler - as you knew this entire show was basically that entire concept drawn out over and over again - so I felt bad for El Guapo being called out for spoiling this thread for someone, as I felt it was somewhat dramatically described.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Shrug. You're never going to guess what a spoiler'd post in a thread about the show Obi-Wan Kenobi is about!
Spoiler:
A recent episode of the show Obi-Wan Kenobi!
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Spoiler:
"cowardly" Obi-Wan Kenobi is not something I was expecting, and as a result I think I giggled a bit when he was running from Vader like a teen from an ax-murderer in an 80's movie. I would not have been surprised to see him put his arms in the air, waving them around and screaming "AHHHHHHH!!!!" whilst running.
Perhaps they are trying to deepen the characters a bit from the ones we were just briefly introduced to in the movies, i.e. 'these people are humans, with strengths and weaknesses, not cartoon cutouts.'

Not sure how I feel about that, if true, but I don't think it had the intended effect on me that the director was looking for. Dub that scene with the Benny Hill soundtrack and you might have a viral video on your hands. :P