Winter 2021-22 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Winter 2021-22 is coming

Post by Jeff V »

First snow of the season today. That is a record -- the old record for latest first snow was 2012, the year my wife came here and complained about the cold but no snow -- she had never seen snow before and was getting impatient.

We had enough for the kids to make their first snowman (without my help!)
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sweating buckets. Its nearly 70 with tons of rain now and storm moving in for severe weather tonight. The humidity is just soaking. I had to turn the AC on. The damn car one wouldn't work...fun. i was stuck to the steering wheel.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The snow still hasn't gone away like the weather drone said it would. Which sucks because I did not shovel my entire driveway (and a neighbor's kid did about 70% of my sidewalk). Doing most of the upper driveway gave me an indication how sucky this winter could be...the arthritis in my elbows and shoulders made moving this "heart attack snow" especially difficult and the difficulty factor was only moderate.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Although we're 5 degrees cooler than yesterday we are still the 2nd hottest place in the US today only beaten out by Miami.

Tomorrow will be 75 and bring in severe storms with that high temp. Sundays high will ne 63 at midnight and drop all day and hit 25 that night. By Monday it will only be 45 for a high and some snow..

Stupid damn weather.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

61 here right now. 11 degrees Sunday morning.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:06 pm
I always get a chuckle when I see how folks hype Miami (by which of course they are meaning Miami Beach, there's quite a difference). Horrible traffic, high prices, street crime and lots of "homeless" aggressively hitting you up for money.

Meanwhile, two hundred miles north, we have nice temps, more reasonable prices, the space center to visit and generally a more laid back approach. In the next county north of us (Volusia) there are dozens of miles of beautiful beaches, most of which you can drive on and park. But don't let me influence you...

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I miss FL beaches. My favorite town was Clearwater for the beach and deep sea fishing. St Augustine was nice for food and sights.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My daughter in law is moving back there next year to help take care of her dad. My stepson is staying here to take care of us. :roll: He thinks she's moving back after her dad passes away. :lol:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're having a pleasantly mild winter so far, which is actually kind of bad news because New England is warming faster than the rest of the planet.
New England is warming significantly faster than global average temperatures, and that rate is expected to accelerate as more greenhouse gases are pumped into the atmosphere and dangerous cycles of warming exacerbate climate change, according to a new study.

The authors of the scientific paper, which was published in the most recent edition of the journal Climate, analyzed temperature data over more than a century across the six New England states and documented how winters are becoming shorter and summers longer, jeopardizing much of the region’s unique ecology, economy, and cultural heritage.

Their findings were underscored this year in Greater Boston, which is on track to having the warmest year on record since 1900, according to data compiled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Overall, between 1900 and 2020, New England winters have warmed on average 2.75 degrees Celsius, or 4.86 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the study. In Massachusetts, winter temperatures have surged an average of nearly 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

Warming in the winter has been less noticeable and creates a kind of cognitive dissonance about climate change, as few enjoy enduring the brutal cold, Young said.

As a result, he worries that less frigid winters could be “making many people complacent to the current warming, and making the issue of climate change in New England seem not so urgent.”
It's supposed to turn a little more wintry early next week, but for now we're still in the 40s and 50s with no snow in sight.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Our 'mild' winter just delivered a new first (or as long as I can remember). A flash flood warning in January.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's 13 freaking degrees out there and an inch of snow.
Winter has arrived.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

61 right now but will drop all day. Tonight its scheduled for a low of 25 and tomorrow will see it rise to a balmy 45 with snow.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yesterday the local news noted that in this past December we had twenty-eight days of above average temperatures, two of average and only one below average. Today we continue our streak of temps in the eighties, eight days now. And this morning I was in pool, although it was a bit chilly.

We are expecting a cold front, which used to mean worrying about the plants and pipes freezing, but now it just means a couple of nights in the fifties with daytime temps back in the seventies by Tuesday. Hello global warming!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like deep sea fishing weather to me. Charter a boat and hit the water.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia: Today we had a high in the low 60s while tomorrow we expect a low of 17.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:31 pm Philadelphia: Today we had a high in the low 60s while tomorrow we expect a low of 17.
Balmy! Low tonight near zero, wind chills around -10. So far this year, my son has only gotten a ride to school once. I'm wondering if tomorrow will be #2...there's too much snow and ice for him to bike (which he's done for all but 2 days this school year). The one time I drove him -- my daughter (who goes to school on the other side of town) was late for the only time this year.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NJ
Enlarge Image

Gov. Phil Murphy declared a state of emergency Sunday night for five counties in southern New Jersey expected to be hardest hit by a messy winter storm that could dump up to 8 inches of snow in parts of the state.

Murphy made the announcement during a virtual briefing on the storm at 6 p.m. and issued the order later. It takes effect at 9 p.m. The five counties are Atlantic, Burlington, Cape May, Cumberland and Ocean - matching the areas that are under a winter storm warning issued by the National Weather Service.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:56 pm The snow still hasn't gone away like the weather drone said it would. Which sucks because I did not shovel my entire driveway (and a neighbor's kid did about 70% of my sidewalk). Doing most of the upper driveway gave me an indication how sucky this winter could be...the arthritis in my elbows and shoulders made moving this "heart attack snow" especially difficult and the difficulty factor was only moderate.
We didn't get anything that stuck on that first snow, but we did get 3 inches or so Saturday night into Sunday morning. That meant my first time shoveling at the new house. Before I was in the middle of city block, which meant I had relatively small patch of sidewalk out front and a garage facing the alley. Now I've got lots of extra sidewalk and a driveway (granted it's shorter than a typical suburban driveway, but it's still a lot more than I'm used to!). The backyard is also paved, which means I had to shovel paths around there, too. Overall I'm not as sore as I was expecting, but it wasn't exactly fun!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We had about 3" too, this one was light, but there was some ice underneath that remains. I fed the wife and kids, went out to shovel, and when I was done the kids were all dressed up to come help me. Too late! No problems with arthritis on this one though. It was a little worse pulling them on the sled to the park where they could go on the sledding hill. Did that twice yesterday, a friend brought his kids over later in the day.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A lot of Virginia got nailed with decent amounts of wet, heavy snow. 50 miles of I-95 between Richmond and DC in both directions is currently shut down with thousands of cars and trucks stuck.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Schools here will be closed tomorrow due to cold. I remember standing frozen at the bus stop in the early 80s. Pampered kids today :P ..I wish we'd been pampered.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Like having the government pay for things to help keep you warm? What kind of world would that be?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:08 pm Schools here will be closed tomorrow due to cold. I remember standing frozen at the bus stop in the early 80s. Pampered kids today :P ..I wish we'd been pampered.
We closed on cold days precisely because of bus stops in the early 80s. My bus stop was 1/4 mile away down M-153, a road with a speed limit of 55 where most people drove 70. Cold days were defined as wind chill of 30 below. And they happened, but not more than five times a year because more than five times a year meant less than 181 days of school and that was a magic number for some reason.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I went to school in southern California. Snow days? Cold days? And we didn't have Hot Days either. Just Happy Days!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:04 pm I went to school in southern California. Snow days? Cold days? And we didn't have Hot Days either. Just Happy Days!
That was in Milwaukee, not California.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:04 pm I went to school in southern California. Snow days? Cold days? And we didn't have Hot Days either. Just Happy Days!
I moved to Florida when I was 13 and so never had a snow day. I might have had one when I was younger and lived in the northeast, but that part of my life is pretty vague in my memory. We did have our fall classes in hurricane season however :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:06 pm
Did it ever snow on Happy Days? I don't remember it even being cold.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its going to be around 13f tonight here. I cant plug in the heater that keeps my pump from seizing up or the pipes bursting because its old and so is the cord to it and they overheat my outlet with no ground to burn your hand ouch that Fn hurt past that lvl on low.

I will do what I can by opening the under sink cabinets and have a heater on low facing that way tonight. In the bathroom Ill have another heater on low and the closet door behind the tub open. Both will have the water almost streaming all night.

Its a toss up....either the pipes freeze and break or the pump freezes or the well goes dry. Its 100% positive my power bill will shoot through the roof.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:10 pm
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lots of school cancellations and business closings here in advance of our first snowstorm of the season. We're only expecting 6", give or take -- but it's coming on a Friday while covid is raging.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's actually people watching to see if we can attribute a dip in COVID transmission to what's about to hit in the NE - mother nature acting as a circuit breaker because we cannot. It'll be interesting to see if they can actually see it happening in the reporting.

I'm hoping it's not a big deal around here - we're allegedly going to see 1-3", which isn't all that much. All kinds of ice though coming on Sunday which I loathe.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:29 pm
Must have been after I quit watching it, after the episode where Fonzie jumped the shark.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

10am and 19 degrees. brrrrrrrr
Holman

Post by Holman »

Got 2 or 3 inches of snow in my part of Philadelphia, but today is sunny and dry and going up to 34.

Sunday's high is expected to hit 42, so this snow won't stick around.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:29 pm
Must have been after I quit watching it, after the episode where Fonzie jumped the shark.
It takes place in Wisconsin - they had snow episodes every year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:54 am Got 2 or 3 inches of snow in my part of Philadelphia, but today is sunny and dry and going up to 34.

Sunday's high is expected to hit 42, so this snow won't stick around.
up to 14 with a windchill of 0. I made the mistake of not shoveling the drive on Sunday. By Monday 3" of snow turned in to 1" of ice glazed snow and there it has remained. I don't have the oomph to shovel ice. I need to get out this weekend and salt, hoping the temp is high enough to melt the glaze.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 am It takes place in Wisconsin - they had snow episodes every year.
I knew it took place in Wisconsin, my rose-colored glasses seem to only remember the pleasant weather episodes :roll:
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:10am and 19 degrees. brrrrrrrr
25 degrees and 12" of snow this morning in eastern CT... about to start up the snowblower and dig out my driveway...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT