Automobilista 2 racing sim - demo available

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Automobilista 2 racing sim - demo available

Post by jztemple2 »

It doesn't seem that there is a dedicated thread for Automobilista 2, which has been out since March of last year. Anyway, there is now a demo for the game for those who wish to take a look at it. It is accessible from the Steam page. Note that if you have the full game installed you cannot install the demo.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Re: Automobilista 2 racing sim - demo available

Post by dbt1949 »

With that kind of name it should have olde antique cars.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I picked up this game a couple of years ago but it was just out of early access and still needed a lot of tweaking so I kind of lost interest. However, with the new Formula One game F1 22 I decided to set up my wheel and pedals and get in some practice on F1 2021. And I also reinstalled Automobilista 2 (AMS2). And it turns out that AMS2 has a lot of nice new changes to gameplay, etc and now I'm wondering if I'm really interested in another F1 game :roll:. So instead I picked up the Season Pass for AMS2.

Here's a look at some screenshots of a custom race I set up in AMS2.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This isn't what I was hoping it was. Im looking for a game that would look like this but where I dont have to race the car. I dont want to drive. I want to start small and build the car and set it up..not super detailed. I want the game to handle the hiring of a driver and actually racing the course. I just want to do the design of the car and the parts and sponsor stuff. Take my team to the top from outside the car. Anyone out there listening?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 pm This isn't what I was hoping it was. Im looking for a game that would look like this but where I dont have to race the car. I dont want to drive. I want to start small and build the car and set it up..not super detailed. I want the game to handle the hiring of a driver and actually racing the course. I just want to do the design of the car and the parts and sponsor stuff. Take my team to the top from outside the car. Anyone out there listening?
Oh totally man:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:42 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 pm This isn't what I was hoping it was. Im looking for a game that would look like this but where I dont have to race the car. I dont want to drive. I want to start small and build the car and set it up..not super detailed. I want the game to handle the hiring of a driver and actually racing the course. I just want to do the design of the car and the parts and sponsor stuff. Take my team to the top from outside the car. Anyone out there listening?
Oh totally man:
I have that game, it's pretty good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey now that looks interesting. Ill put it on my wishlist so I wont forget it. Little above my price point right now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:27 pm Hey now that looks interesting. Ill put it on my wishlist so I wont forget it. Little above my price point right now.
Keep an eye out. Apparently, it was 85% off ($2.99) during a sale in March this year. Maybe it will be a comparable price during the upcoming Steam Summer sale next week.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And if you are interested in the race management aspect, there will be a late August release of F1® Manager 2022, an officially licensed F1 management game being produced by Frontier Developments, who know a thing or two about management games like Planet Zoo, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Coaster.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just thought I'd post another shout out to folks about this game, with the reminder that there are deep discounts for the base game and its DLC, including 40% off the 2020-2022 Season Pass.

This past week there was a significant update posted, V1.3.8.1. This article includes the change log and also has this summary of the update:
Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 is now available -the new update brings the Argentinean Track Pack featuring 3 free new tracks to AMS2, along with further bug fixing, maintaince of older content & extending recent physics developments to a wider range of cars - Group A, BMW M1 Procar, Sprint Race, F-Retro Gen3, Metalmoro MRX (all models), Roco 001, MCR Sports 2000 Opala 1986, Omega 1999, Copa Classic B & FL, Mini JCW UK, Caterham Academy, F-3, F-Trainer (both models), F-Vee now join the list of cars to have received extensive physics revisions, with several previously revised cars also receiving further updates.
For those who might be interested, there are web pages showing all the cars available and all the tracks in the game. Note that the latter does not include the three new free Argentinian tracks.

Finally, there was an article from the developers discussing the newly released update plus a lengthy discussion of the physics overhaul currently underway, plus other topics like enhanced gearbox and clutch damage modelling, upgrades to the AI logic for the upcoming introduction of oval racing, better damage modeling and improvements to audio. And there's this:
With all this groundwork on the fundamentals properly laid down, it will once again be time to open the floodgates for new content & major new features - this is to begin with our first milestone update of the year, as V1.4 is expected to be released towards the end of July featuring several such features, some long awaited new cars as well as Racin´ USA Pt3, which will introduce oval racing to Automobilista 2.

It will not stop there - most updates in the remaining months of the year will in fact include batches of exciting & long-awaited new content, both free and DLC.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've fired up AMS2 because I'm still two weeks away from F1 Manager 2022 and just can't get excited about getting into some other game right now. And I've kind of burned myself out on American Truck Simulator.

Anyway, I've been playing AMS2 off and on and to avoid burnout I'm following a routine. I pick out a car class I haven't raced before, then I pick out a track upon which I haven't raced either. I keep track :wink: of it all through a document I keep.

Today I'm running a Brazilian F3 Series Dallara F301 at the Adelaide track in Australia.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The 1.4 update has been released and it's a major update for the game. This video explains the changes, and there are a lot of sequences of all sorts of cars on all sorts of tracks.

UPDATE: The game and all the DLC packages are on sale this weekend.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In my never ending quest to promote games that literally no one else here ever plays, I'll note that Automobilista 2 is on sale for 70% off till January 5th. Also, as always, there is a demo available.

The 2020-2022 Season Pass is also on sale at 40% off.

As always, I'd be happy to answer any questions folks have about the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also had to post this,
On the car art front, we have added support for new cockpit display functionalities to better represent the info seen in their real counterparts - these include Traction Control & ABS settings in the dashboard, or more specific displays such as the wheel slip LEDs in the Porsche GTE:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally (and I mean that... for now :wink: ), a link to a very lengthy December update, noting their upcoming releases and some future plans.
Greetings everyone!

The checkered flag is about to wave for 2022, but we are not quite done with it yet! By the time you read this final dev update of the year, the Christmas gifts will most likely already have been unwrapped, but as I finish writing this Dev Update in the late hours of Christmas day, we are still putting the finishing touches to wrap up our last update of the year - the Reiza Santa may be late to arrive, but he´s got a bag full of exciting toys!

2022 was another positive year for AMS2 - the game continues to grow, and some substantial progress has been made in every front over the course of the year. It´s only fitting then to end the year with a bang: no less than 3 new DLC packs, 3 historical tracks, a whopping 12 new cars in total - evenly split between open wheelers and tin tops, with 9 cars coming in two new DLC packages featuring some of the greatest motorcars ever created, plus 3 long-awaited cars being added free of charge to the base game will be released over the coming days, along with usual sizeable number of game improvements as AMS2 reaches v1.4.5.0.

Let´s get on with it then and check out some of the most exciting things you can expect to be delivered for AMS2 in our 2022 wrap-up!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hot lap at the Hockenheim circuit in its 1988 configuration, driving a McLaren M23

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Four quick clips: an Indycar-type getting a really bad start at Indy, a sedan goes off at Brasília but then gets back at a competitor and then finally a bit too much throttle at Laguna Seca.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is what they mean when they say truck racing in South America:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A quick clip (37 sec) showing a Copa Montana dealing with heavy rain at the Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport course.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A quick (40 sec) replay from trackside cameras of my BMW spinning out, then later crashing through catch fences at the Hockenheim racecourse.

Last edited by jztemple2 on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not enough downforce.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:55 pm Not enough downforce.
Not enough talent :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'll be making a few posts about one race event to show some of the details of the game.

Let's do the practice session, but instead of posting a video, I'll post some screen captures so I can point things out. First, the car I'm driving is the Formula Trainer Advanced, the game's version of a Formula Ford with no aero, skinny tires (or tyres if you prefer) and a limited amount of horsepower. The track is called Oulton Park Forsters, a short version of the full track. It's in the UK.

The game has as an option something called RealWeather. Instead of specifying the weather conditions, or letting them be picked randomly, you can select RealWeather and the game pulls the data for the location (in the UK) as it was on the date specified, which in this example is today. And burr, it is cold! Just above freezing. Going to be hard to get temps into the tires, or the drivers :roll:. Note that the track wetness is "Moist", in other words it rained (or snowed) previously.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Heading out onto the track. I've highlighted some items. On the center right you can see some standing water, left over from previous rain. All the tracks in the game are meticulously recreated in the game, including items like low points where water will accumulate. And it is not a static item, the water will shrink and disappear with time. Also in the lower right you can see a schematic look at the car. Note that on this cold day the tires are only at 29 degC right now and the brakes at 3! Those will heat up as the laps go by.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oops! Crossed the pit exit line. This is the line on the track that delineates where a car leaving the pits must stay. By crossing that line I get a warning. Too many warnings and I'll get a penalty. All the tracks have this in place, and the line on the track is the actual line monitored.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Out on the track, in the cockpit view. The tires are still cold, about 50C is the normal temp.
Enlarge Image click to enlarge

Another puddle. Need to avoid putting a tire in there, it's a good way to break traction.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Gameplay menus:

First is Authenticity. These are the various assists and other settings to give a wide range of experience. Since I have "Driving Assists Allowed" set at "Authentic", the only ones available would be the ones on the actual race vehicle. In the car of the advanced trainer, there aren't any :shock:
Enlarge Image

These options control what can be seen on the display. Since I'm having trouble I'm turning on the turn indicators (lets you know when a turn is coming up) and the driving line indicator.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A little further on and oops, this is NOT the way I should be going at speed :shock:

Back going the way I should be. You can see the driving line indicator arrows going from green to yellow to red, meaning a corner up ahead. This is a real boon to those of us who done have the the time or inclination to spend huge amounts of time learning each track.

This is the helmet view, especially useful if you are using VR devices.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is another view, like from a camera mounted on the roll hoop.

This is the replay camera. You can call this up at any time, although it only goes back so many seconds and is not saved. However, if you are recording your game, this is a handy way to record incidents from all sorts of select-able angles.

Oops! Into the wall. That "91" next to the front left suspension says that I've taken 91% damage to that corner and it's in pretty bad shape. The left rear is at 27%, not good but still drivable. However, that front left has to be fixed.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Heading into the pits. I've managed to bang up the right front on the way in as well. Note more standing water.

The pit crew is waiting. I'm sure they aren't happy to leave their warm(er) garage to fix my car

With so much damage to repair it is going to take some time. And as can be seen in the upper left, there is only twelve minutes and thirteen seconds left in the session.

I'm going to end this here. Hopefully folks have gotten some entertainment from my postings and have a better feeling for the game. Good night!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've uploaded a full five lap race, racing Formula Vee at the Snetterton 100 course. It's overcast but warm and dry. The Formula Vee cars have 93 horsepower and skinny tires but no aero. This was a fun race, I made passes and got passed, but for once I kept it on the black stuff (mostly) and didn't spin or crash. The Snetterton 100 course is the shortest of the three possible configurations, only one mile long and with just six turns.

Enlarge Image

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I hear the game uses the same weather tech as Project Cars 2, and I found that while the weather was really nice in that game, I felt it had created some input issues that only got worse over time. Racing in the rain had become nearly impossible and would always send me flying off the track no matter how careful I was with certain cars. What didn't help is that it seemed to affect certain cars more than others. I hope this is is something that's been fixed for this game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:07 pm I hear the game uses the same weather tech as Project Cars 2, and I found that while the weather was really nice in that game, I felt it had created some input issues that only got worse over time. Racing in the rain had become nearly impossible and would always send me flying off the track no matter how careful I was with certain cars. What didn't help is that it seemed to affect certain cars more than others. I hope this is is something that's been fixed for this game.
I don't remember that much about the weather in PC2, but I've just recently had a couple of races in the rain and the effects didn't feel unusual. The rain will of course affect different cars in different ways; the more downforce you run the less easily you'll skid off. Also of course is how much torque (applied horsepower) is being applied, as the driving tires will tend to break loose when too much power is applied too suddenly. Many cars authentically have traction control and ABS, plus in the options you can always use those assists for any car. Still, it is true that if the depth of the water your tire is in is deeper than the depth of your tread you're going to hydroplane and lost control.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From what I remember, it was mostly in the simulation. No matter how careful I'd be with it, there'd always be a point where I'd lose control. It always happened at the same lap too, almost as if the effect were accumulative, and it happened even with traction control or any kind of assist turned on as well. In fact, in many ways the traction control only made it worse.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is me driving the newly released 2017 Nissan GT-R of the GT3 class, spinning out at the also newly released Jerez 1988 course. I was eight seconds in the lead and desperate to get going again, which of course just made things worse.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Hey jz,

If you haven’t done so already, check out Crew Chief!

https://thecrewchief.org/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Driving the newly released Brabham BT49 (F-Retro Gen2 Class) at the also newly released Cascais 1988 circuit. As a dedication to Rumpy, I ran this race in the rain. A couple of laps in you'll see an instant replay I inserted, where I showed a Lotus 49 that passing me can be risky!

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

BrianE wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:19 pm Hey jz,

If you haven’t done so already, check out Crew Chief!

https://thecrewchief.org/
I gave it a look. Right now I only run very short races where I don't ever make calls to the pits, but when I do start doing longer races this might come in handy. Thanks!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'll post more about my race in South Africa soon, but I wanted to share more info about the car I raced there, the Brabham BT46B. The Brabham BT46B was the famous (or infamous) fan car, which used a large fan at the back to lower the air pressure under the car, creating more downforce. It ran only once, at the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix, which it won. It was not allowed to race again.
Enlarge Image

In the clip below, I'm revving the car and as I do you can (if you look carefully) see the rear end squat down as the fan spins up and pulls air from under the car. This created more downforce.