Automobilista 2 racing sim - demo available

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Automobilista 2 racing sim - demo available

Post by Daehawk »

Not the old Pole Position from the arcades.

Makes me want to play Dirt.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here are some excerpts from the race I mentioned above. I'm racing the Brabham BT46B at Kyalami in South Africa, the 1976 circuit configuration.

Enlarge Image

Practice at 10am local was dry and sunny, but at 11am when qualifying occurred it had clouded up. Between the end of qualifying and the start of the race it had rained, but it has now stopped and the sun is breaking through. Note as you watch the race, the shadows of the clouds on the track. Also, the track is pretty wet at the beginning, but by the end of the race after five laps there is a lot less spray.
Enlarge Image

As you watch the race, note the small black dots on the track. Those are rolled up pieces of rubber, dubbed "clag" by David Hobbs, and during the course of a race they will accumulate. Furthermore, they do effect your car, you'll feel little bumps as you go over them. I think (not sure) that they do actually affect the grip of that tire till they wear off, but I'm relying on my memory which may be faulty in this regard.
Enlarge Image

The video below is an edited version of the replay camera, showing only the first and last lap. Notice how wet the track is on the first lap, but by the last lap there is much less spray. Also a lot of the spray comes from places like the apexes of corners where water has accumulated.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Today saw the release of the V1.4.5.2 update, plus the release of three DLC. I've noted some of the new cars and tracks in the posts I've made today. Here's the article with all the details: Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 & New DLC Packs RELEASED!
Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 Update is now released, along with 3 new DLC packs: Brazilian Racing Legends, Supercars & Historical Track Pack* are all available now!

*Please note Bathurst 1983 is part of this package but not yet available in-game, will be added over the course of January.

Beyong the new content, the new update brings a long list of valuable improvements - check out the complete list below.
Spoiler:
V1.4.3.3 -> V1.4.5.2 CHANGELOG

CONTENT

Free:
Added Nissan R89C to Group C class
Added Nissan R390 GT1 to GT1 class
Added 2017 Nissan GT-R to GT3 class
Added new F-Classic Gen3 class (4 generic models)

Brazilian Racing Legends Pt1 DLC:
Added Brabham BT49 to F-Retro Gen2 Class
​​Added Brabham BT52 to Formula Retro Gen3 Class
Added Lotus 98T to F-Classic Gen1 Class
Added Mclaren MP4/4 to F-Classic Gen2 Class
Added Mclaren MP4/5B to F-Classic Gen3 class
Added Mclaren MP4/6 to F-Classic Gen4 class

Supercars Pt1 DLC:
Added Mclaren Senna, Brabham BT62 to new Hypercars Class
Added Corvette C8 Z06 to Supercars Class

Historical Track Pack DLC:
Added Cascais 1988
Added Jerez 1988

GENERAL

Added Random Failure Scale option
Added pit speed limit option to single race.
Added rule/content filter presets for custom events
Added Multiplayer support for Timescaling random failures
AI can now DLC vehicles even if user does not own them
Added 40+ years of real historic weather data for the locations that were missing it (Buskerud, Campo Grande, Curvelo, Goiania, Guapore, Indianapolis, Ortona, Velocitta
Adjusted gamepad damping bounds to allow smaller base levels and removed some baked in non-linearity
Updated Logitech TrueForce implementation following Logitech´s recommended specification
Renamed F-Classic Gen3 as F-Classic Gen4
Renamed Street Cars class as Supercars class

UI & HUD

Added secondary mapping options for main vehicle motion inputs on main menu controls screen
Added controller binding options for increase/decrease fuel map (Note: existing profiles will need to manually rebind these or reset the user set to activate)
Added secondary bind options for vehicle tab of main menu assignments page
Fixed missing localisation of cockpit configuration button
Added Failure scale setting to lobby session details pane
Fixed HUD Radar colour logic

PHYSICS

Minor adjustment to F-USA Speedway tire tread (all gens) Street F-Retro Gen2
Enabled bumpdraft and sidedraft physics in all tracks (was enabled only in Oval tracks)
Added Advanced Mechanical Damage Modelling for Stock Car Brasil 2019-2022, Super V8, Copa Truck, Stock Omega 1999, Sprintrace, ARC Camaro, Lancer Cup, Street Cars, Supercars. F-3, F-Trainer & F-Vee, Copa Classic, Hot Cars, Opala (all models), Caterham (all models), GT5
Revised loose wheel failure stress thresholds and added wing failure for F-Classic (all gens), F-V12, F-V10 (both gens), F-Reiza, F-Ultimate (both gens), F-USA (all gens)
Revised loose wheel failure stress thresholds on all cars with AMDM
FFB ajustments for Group C, GT1, GT3 (all models) Cadillac DPi, F-V12, GT1, GTE, GT3, GT4, Group C, BMW Procar
Brabham BT46B: Revised fan physics & added ambient pressure effect; Adjusted aero for new fan physics
F-USA (All gen oval variants): Decreased dirty air effect on cooling
F-Classic G1M1: Adjusted ultimate power output and default boost pressure
F-Classic G1M2: Revised engine with new turbo, fuel consumption and power output to diversify class
Lotus 79: Minor aero adjustments
Brabham BT46: Updated fan car physics
F-Classic (all models): Corrected front tire dimensions; revised gear mis-shifting tolerance
AMDM: Added wing failure logic to older open wheelers from F-Vintage Gen2 to F-Retro Gen3; Increased risk of oil and turbo failure on GT-type cars
Added support for individual front / rear onboard adjustable roll bars & disabled rear roll bars for F-Classics (all gens), F-Retros Gen2 & 3 , SprintRace; Disabled onboard roll bars altogether for Metalmoro AJRs, Mercedes CLK LM, Mclaren MP4/12 (still incorrectly had it enabled)
Corvette GTP: Slightly raised CoG height
Fixed CTD with Omega Stock Car 1999

AI

Adjusted AI code for less hesitation when trying to overtake on straights
Fixed bug that could cause AI to pit too often due to tire wear
Rebuilt GT3 Ai roster to include Nissan GT-R GT3.
Updated Stock Car Brazil 2022 driver levels to reflect final championship results
AI calibration pass for F-Retro Gen2
Improved AI lines in the following specific cases: when defending position, when avoiding lateral contact with human player, when avoiding corner cutting; Improved detection of incidents that lead to yellow flags or full course yellow.
Adjusted AI lateral movement ratio (generally less jerky moves to try overtake)
Spa Francorchamps 1970: New AI fast lines & performance adjustments
Further AI calibration for F-Vintage Gen1&2

AUDIO

Further adjustments to wall reflections
Set up F-Classic Gen1 M2 with BMW I4 sounds

TRACKS

Spa Francorchamps 2020/2022: Add additional portable light tower at Eau Rouge
Spa Francorchamps 1970: Set 1000km layout Max AI participants to 32
Added custom grip range for Kyalami Historic for slightly less grip & updated range for Cleveland

VEHICLES

Added support for driver outfit livery overrides
Added support for driver helmet livery overrides for all remaining formula cars
Updated cockpit Motec to include the following info: TC settings; shifting lights for the M8 and the 911 RSR; headlights pictogram on the Corvette C8 R display; 2nd page on the RSR (3rd still needed)
Adjusted undertray sparks logic
Opala (all models): Added tachometer damping function
Corvette C3: Speedometer units converted to MPH
McLaren MP4/4: Fixed rain drops issue on cockpit glass
Corvette C8R: Fixed revs jumping between shifts in rare cases
StockCar Omega: Fixed stikers flickering issue
Mclaren 720 GT3: Fixed misaligned hood in the cockpit view

And the game is 70% off till the end of the Steam Winter Sale

And the Season Pass is 40% off. Don't know why the image says "Supercars Pack Pt1", the rest of the text is complete as it the link it contains.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A look at the newly added McLaren Senna hypercar in Automobilista 2. This is a lap at Laguna Seca, the first part from in-car, then an external view.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A special treat for New Years, a cockpit view of a hot lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife ("North loop") 2020 circuit driving a P2 class Sigma P1 (yes, it is a P2 class car).

First of all, welcome to the "Green Hell", as Jackie Steward dubbed it. In this configuration, which doesn't use the extra length of the GP circuit, it is just under thirteen miles long. With well over 100 corners, it is the longest track which is still used for racing. And you can even bring your own vehicle there (if it has the right safety equipment) and run it yourself. I first ran this track (on a computer :wink:) back when I was playing Grand Prix Legends when it was released in 1998. So it is pretty familiar to me, yet I still suck at it :roll:
Enlarge Image

My car is a Sigma P1, which oddly is a P2 class car. It is, as far as I can tell, a car made up for the game, not an actual race car. Still, it looks pretty slick.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

And so on to the video. It starts just before the Start/Finish line and ends just after one lap. I thought I did a reasonably decent lap, but I'm 53 seconds slower than the leader :roll:. It is the cockpit view only, but I think that's more fun.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A new update is coming and I've downloaded the Release Candidate to take a look at the new Formula Inter car and the new Bathurst 1983 track configuration.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm here again at the Bathurst 1983 circuit, driving a Formula Inter car against twelve others. I started at the back of the field, moved up a bit and then disaster struck.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oops
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:05 pmOops
Oops indeed :wink:. That's a nasty section of the track, going up and down as well as side to side.

Meanwhile, it's a wet race at the Velopark 2010 configuration with the Formula Inter cars. It's only five laps but I manage to go from last to first. Check out at the 1:30 mark when an AI car takes out the 100 meter brake marker board and it goes flying in pieces. Later on at that corner there is a piece of someone's wing sitting there too. By the last lap the marshals have cleared it.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a short race at the Road America track. I'm driving a P1 MetalMoro AJR Chevrolet. It is supposed to be a five lap race, but I don't make it the whole way. Thankfully this car has TC and ABS or I'd never make the first lap.

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Haven't posted here for awhile, even though I know that everyone :D is eagerly awaiting the latest news. There's a new article from the devs concerning the soon to be released Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update is about chassis and tire physics:
Every physics front - chassis, aerodynamics, suspension, driveline, engine, brakes and obviously tires for each of the 272 physics variants in the game have been at minimum double-checked, and at maximum completely rewritten: suspension geometries are considerably more accurate to the model simulated; spring and damper rates (critical to tires and aerodynamics) exhaustively revised, differentials fine-tuned, engine torque curves adjusted, and new car-specific systems and functionalities such as frontal DRS for the Sigma P1 G5 and Metalmoro AJR Gen2 or e-diff systems for the Mclaren 570 GT4 or the VW TSI Cup cars implemented; the force feedback for each of the variants has in turn been carefully fine-tuned for each car´s characteristics for a much more detailed feel for the revamped tire and suspension physics.
Lots and lots of data:
Enlarge Image

And of course, a video, this time of a tire flexing
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In order to get my somewhat arthritic limbs ready for the release of Forza Motorsport next week I've set up my wheel and pedals and am giving Automobilista 2 some time. I used to do different tracks and different cars in one session, but this week I'm going to try to stick to just one track each day. I'll start off with a lower performance car to learn the track and then maybe switch off to a higher performance one (or two) and see and feel the differences. Yesterday I was doing Road America, today I'm at Long Beach.

A lap around the Long Beach race course while driving a Fusca Classic FL.

Enlarge Image

From the cockpit view

With all camera views (not of same lap)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Best Lap of Long Beach driving the BMW M3 German Group A

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Since Reiza doesn't have the license, this is DEFINITELY not an Indycar, specifically a Lola T95/00 Ford-Cosworth which did compete in Indycar in 1995. A video from trackside cameras of a lap at Long Beach.

An in-cockpit view of my fastest lap, preceded by a look at selecting the car and loading the track.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A lap of Long Beach driving a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 3.8, cockpit view

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A special treat today, a lap of the Monza course in Italy, circa 1970, the one with the banked oval corners and flat road track combined. The car is a Formula Vintage Gen1 Model1 from the same era. It is intended to represent the Formula One cars from the 1960s.

If you've ever seen the 1966 movie "Grand Prix", this is the race course where the final event is held. The movie was filmed at the actual circuit and those shots of the banked corners are very accurate. The car in the movie that was called a Jordan-BRM rather resembles the car I'm driving in the video. Interestingly enough, there actually was a Jordan-BRM a decade later, and later on there was also a Jordan F1 team founded by Eddie Jordan.

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A quick video, three views of a Porsche 962C Group C car at Monza hitting the unprotected end of an Armco barrier.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I realized that I'm probably the only one interested in this game :roll:, but I'll still mention that if you are interested, the game and the season pass are on sale with a total bundle discount of 73% till January 4th. Note that the 2020-2022 season pass actually covers most of the content released in 2023 as well.

Content updates will continue to the base game in 2024 and new DLC is being released as well, including Le Mans and a number of cars from the WEC, including the new Hypercar class. UPDATE: I see now that the Le Mans DLC is actually scheduled to be released this week unless there are some last minute glitches.

And of course, there is a demo available.

Ignore that title of "Supercars Pack Pt1", this actually is the Season Pass.
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

You’re not the only one jz, this has been my go-to along with iracing, but I just let that sub expire because I’m mostly playing single player now and I find AMS2 better for me (I do miss the Modifieds and Late Model short track content)

I’ll be adding the latest DLC and LeMans this week.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Glad to know that there is someone else out there enjoying this game. I've got in almost ninety hours on Forza Motorsport, but I finally just decided that I felt like there was too much grinding to do. Also the physics, while good, just aren't at the level of AMS2. I just fired up AMS2 after not playing for awhile, selected a car and a track...

Enlarge Image

...and just drove a test day session. It reminded me of how much better the physics are than in FM. Not that I've ever driven a race car, but they just feel more like I imagine a race car to feel. It helps that I have a good pedal and wheel set.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kicking the tires on the two new DLCs, the Formula HiTech and the Historical Track Pack Pt2, running a HiTech Gen2 car on the Montreal 1991 circuit, one lap.

Enlarge Image

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be confused about all the DLC and which are included in the Season Pass and the various packs, here is a handy-dandy guide, not prepared by me.

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED!
It´s the end of an incredible year for Automobilista 2 - one that brought the sim major gameplay developments, many exciting new cars and tracks and scores of new players. It has also been its highest grossing year, almost four years after its initial release.

To celebrate the end of this great year in style with old and new players alike, the very last day of the year brings a new game update as AMS2 hits v1.5.5 along with Le Mans and several state-of-the-art 2023 Endurance race cars. The two new DLCs will remain free for all at release and into the first few days of 2024 so everyone gets to enjoy AMS2 at its very best.
Besides the two new DLC, which are part of today's update, there are a bunch of fixes as well. There are also some important notes on changes which didn't make this update but are planned to be released in the future.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A short video showing me driving a Porsche 992 GT3 Gen2 car in Automobilista 2 at Le Mans during rain and lightning.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is me participating in a fifteen minute race at Long Beach, driving a Ginetta G40 in the GT5 class. There are twelve competitors. Since I finished last in the first of two races that day, I started at the tail end of the field. On the first lap I managed to work up to eighth, then back down the field to eleventh, then twelfth, then back to eleventh, but a late penalty due to being out of limits for the sixth(!) time added twenty-one seconds to my overall time, dropping to a final place of twelfth. And there were a few bumps and bangs along the way.