Enlisted - free to play MMO squad based shooter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

raydude

Enlisted - free to play MMO squad based shooter

Post by raydude »

Anyone here playing Enlisted? It's a free-to-play MMO shooter with a WW2 theme. Cross-play between Xbox, PS4, PS5, and PC. I played it after seeing it in a strip on Penny Arcade and I am hooked. One of the popular modes (and the only one I play) is "Squads" where you take control of one person in a squad. The AI controls the rest. If you die you can "respawn" in another member of your squad and keep doing so until all your squad members are dead.

The AI is fairly braindead but because the other side doesn't know which one of the enemy is AI they are sometimes useful for taking the heat off you. I also use them to see where bullets are coming from, i.e. if I'm able to see the bullets tracer when one of my squadmates dies. The squads have a leveling and progression tree, as well as the individual members in the squad. You earn "cards" to get weapons and supplies, level up your troops, and purchase more squad members to fill out your squad.

There are vehicles but I do like the mechanics for how that works. See, you can only take about 4 squads with you into battle, and only one of those squads can be vehicle-based - i.e. tank crew or fighter pilot. And in the game after your squad dies there is a timer before that squad can be brought out again. So if you used a tank squad and died you have to respawn as one of the other infantry squads and play it a bit before you can use your tank squad again. Also, the game limits the maximum number of vehicles on each side to two.

The maps are divided into different campaigns. There's the battle for Berlin, Stalingrad, the Normandy invasion, and a Tunisia desert campaign. Each campaign uses the weapons and armies appropriate for that campaign. For Tunisia for example the Axis have the Italians and Germans, and the Allies have the British and Americans.

Every so often Enlisted will run Events, which are timed events in which you get to earn bonuses or squads. Currently they are running a "modern war" event, so for the next 3 days you get to play the maps with modern armies and equipment - M1 Abrams and T80 tanks.

It's developed by Gaijin Entertainment, the same devs who developed War Thunder. And apparently, it's using the same armor models from War Thunder so facing matters as well as where you aim your shots. Right now it's a little buggy but it's really satisfying to see my tank get flank shots on an enemy tank where normally frontal shots don't do anything.
Daehawk

Re: Enlisted - free to play MMO squad based shooter

Post by Daehawk »

I gave it a quick try a couple months back and found it fun for what it is. I told one of my online buds about it and he's been really playing the heck out of it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"