[TV] Succession Thread?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Eel Snave

[TV] Succession Thread?

Post by Eel Snave »

I don't see a thread for Succession, which is stunning to me. If you haven't started watching, here's what you need to know:

Logan Roy (Brian Cox) is the scion of Waystar-Royco, a fabulously wealthy family that owns theme parks, cruise lines and movie studios, while also operating a Fox News-style network. His four children, Kendall (Jeremy Strong), Siobhan (Sarah Snook), Roman (Kieran Culkin) and Connor (Alan Ruck) are simultaneously trying to curry favor with him and scared to death of him.

In the first episode, it's shown that all is not well for Logan. He's 80 years old, and his health is deteriorating. His children are each trying to vie for the throne, but should any of them have it, or, for that matter, even want it?

Please tell me someone else is watching this.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Alefroth

Re: [TV] Succession Thread?

Post by Alefroth »

No Succession synopsis is complete without cousin Greg.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the record, for those of us that had no idea: "American satirical black comedy-drama television series"

Also: HBO
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I love Succession. Thanks for reminding me that Season 3 is now out and it's time to get back into it!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just finished S2 last week. I want to take a hiatus before starting S3 but Wife wants to dive right back in.
coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm "American satirical black comedy-drama television series"
It's somewhat reminiscent of Veep, if Veep dialed up the drama and didn't play for laughs -- a lot of self-centered people with few redeeming qualities constantly one-upping each other in the name of money and power. It's very good, if you can enjoy a story about unlikable people. Kieran Culkin's fountain of wise cracks is worth it alone.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

We love it, and I thought last weeks episode was possibly the best one yet.

"That's an imaginary cat."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:39 pm Just finished S2 last week. I want to take a hiatus before starting S3 but Wife wants to dive right back in.
coopasonic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm "American satirical black comedy-drama television series"
It's somewhat reminiscent of Veep, if Veep dialed up the drama and didn't play for laughs -- a lot of self-centered people with few redeeming qualities constantly one-upping each other in the name of money and power. It's very good, if you can enjoy a story about unlikable people. Kieran Culkin's fountain of wise cracks is worth it alone.
This sums it up nicely.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And here I thought this thread would be about the successor for TV...maybe something along the lines of Dream Park. I don't get it...meaning I don't get HBO.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:48 pm No Succession synopsis is complete without cousin Greg.
Also Tom.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I recently discovered Succession and hinged the hell of it. Everyone plays a great, unusual character and Brian Cox plays Brian Cox.

This show is 10/10.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:38 am
Alefroth wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:48 pm No Succession synopsis is complete without cousin Greg.
Also Tom.
Tom doesn't work with me. I'll contrast him to Greg. Greg has at least a bit of backstory that was enough to frame him. We also benefited by seeing Greg sucked into the mess.

Tom lacks that or any framing. I think they haven't done a great job contrasting the important thing for us which is what might Tom be like if he wasn't in that chaos. What are his motivations? How did they develop? He is mostly just a foil for Shiv and Greg and others to bounce off of. I wish they had grounded him as something other than an amoral jackass. I don't even get how Shiv and Tom even became a couple. I haven't watched Season 3 yet but he is the weakest link in the show to me.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wow, I don't read Tom that way at all. Here's an Atlantic piece that delves a bit into why I find him interesting. (S3 spoilers, tho)

S3 certainly made him more interesting for me, too, which is maybe part of the dissonance here. He's definitely an amoral jackass, but there's more going on there, IMO.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 am Wow, I don't read Tom that way at all. Here's an Atlantic piece that delves a bit into why I find him interesting. (S3 spoilers, tho)

S3 certainly made him more interesting for me, too, which is maybe part of the dissonance here. He's definitely an amoral jackass, but there's more going on there, IMO.
Yep - once I get into S3 maybe this will be irrelevant but it doesn't fix this problem in S1/S2. They provided almost nothing through S1 and S2 that explained him as a character. Even Grace has more than Tom in a way. Though she is another under-developed character in the periphery. We at least get some idea from context that she was a rich socialite (even just based on the hints of the previous relationship with Heidi). Tom? Aside from jibes about midwestern way we don't get much to explain why or how he's there.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The OO effect got me on this one. I had to go to bed after 2 episodes, but they got me hooked. I like how you can't root for any of the characters - maybe Roman just so he gets more lines.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I found this awesome article by Emily VanDerWerff (SPOILER HEAVY) that explains so much of everyone's behavior:

Right here
Downwards Compatible
malchior

Post by malchior »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:23 pm I found this awesome article by Emily VanDerWerff (SPOILER HEAVY) that explains so much of everyone's behavior:

Right here
I only had to see the headline to say that is exactly what I've been seeing in this show the whole time. :)

I'll read it later once I work through S3.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I went in blind about a year ago and watched the first episode on someone's recommendation. At first I was a bit confused as to what the hell was going on...but then I realized it's intended to be a comedy and I fell for it. :wub:

I'm been a Kieren Culkin fan since Igby Goes Down. I'm glad he's getting the recognition he deserves.

He won. Period.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Oh man, I misread that and thought it said that your went blind and I was like WHAT.
Downwards Compatible
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:42 pm Oh man, I misread that and thought it said that your went blind and I was like WHAT.
:lol:

No, but I appreciate your concern!
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:29 pm
Eel Snave wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:42 pm Oh man, I misread that and thought it said that your went blind and I was like WHAT.
:lol:

No, but I appreciate your concern!
Well, he never said that he was concerned. Does he know your address?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What zip code should I use to garner the most concern for my well being?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I gotta say ... I am really enjoying the show still, but
Spoiler:
it is starting to feel like nothing of consequence really happens. Like, I get that the world sucks and that rich people always win, but like... I feel like just saying that over and over again and having Logan on cruise control is going to get boring soon. Doesn't there need to be some kind of sustained rival or antagonist for Logan, at least?

Seems like a 50/50 chance that Kendall is dead by the end of the next episode, but I feel like that's still not going to shake up that the basic dynamic for each multi-episode arc is that Logan wins and the only thing that changes is which of his kids is getting boned.
Last edited by El Guapo on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think this season is all about the downfall and eventual death of the family member who has fallen out of favor. If that doesn’t happen by the final episode of the season, I’ll agree with you 100 percent though.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 pm I think this season is all about the downfall and eventual death of the family member who has fallen out of favor. If that doesn’t happen by the final episode of the season, I’ll agree with you 100 percent though.
Seems like that's the way things are going. But also like ... I don't really get what the whole point of his character arc has been if that's the way that things are headed. Shit sucks and then you die, I guess.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He’s a less self aware version of Logan, I think. Logan knows he’s a bastard and has come to terms with it. His eldest sincerely thinks he’s the good guy…but he’s just as self serving and loathesome as Logan. And that’s what’s going to be the end of him.

The scene with Logan calling out his autistic grandson to taste his food was a power move beyond any I think I’ve ever seen on a show. He knew Kendall wasn’t trying to poison him, but he showed Kendall just how much he (and anything that was his) meant to him with that monstrous move. I think I even audibly gasped at moment. Then I clutched my pearls and had someone bring me a fainting couch.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There is a degree to which the show is ultimately a family dramedy with all of the business dealings and political maneuverings as essentially just a background set for the family dynamics. So there's a degree to which I'm just chafing at the business dealings not mattering as much to the show as I would like them to.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

All I know is that if I don’t have a Greg and Tom Bosom Buddies style sitcom after this is all over, there’s no goddamn justice in this world.

Last edited by hepcat on Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:06 pm All I know is that if I don’t have a Greg and Tom Bosom Buddies style sitcom after this is all over, there’s no goddamn justice in this world.
All I want is for Greg to be CEO of Waystar Royco when the show ends. Just give me that and I'll be happy.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:02 pm There is a degree to which the show is ultimately a family dramedy with all of the business dealings and political maneuverings as essentially just a background set for the family dynamics. So there's a degree to which I'm just chafing at the business dealings not mattering as much to the show as I would like them to.
Earlier tonight I read somewhere (Cracked maybe?) that the actor who plays Kendall is the only cast member who refuses to believe that the show is a comedy. He prepares for his role intensely and keeps to himself, even shunning rehearsals so that he can come into a scene cold. His serious Hamlet take only makes his humorous scenes (the Logan birthday rap) that much funnier.

Also, Shiv is based on Ivanka, in case anybody didn't figure that out. :lol:

I LOL at least once every episode and snort-laugh a lot more often than that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:06 pm All I know is that if I don’t have a Greg and Tom Bosom Buddies style sitcom after this is all over, there’s no goddamn justice in this world.
All I want is for Greg to be CEO of Waystar Royco when the show ends. Just give me that and I'll be happy.
Halfway through the first season, I predicted that that's how the series will end. He'll be the last man standing.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When Logan looked at the text and realized what he was seeing I almost shit myself. The entire season was worth it if only for that moment.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:08 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:02 pm There is a degree to which the show is ultimately a family dramedy with all of the business dealings and political maneuverings as essentially just a background set for the family dynamics. So there's a degree to which I'm just chafing at the business dealings not mattering as much to the show as I would like them to.
Earlier tonight I read somewhere (Cracked maybe?) that the actor who plays Kendall is the only cast member who refuses to believe that the show is a comedy. He prepares for his role intensely and keeps to himself, even shunning rehearsals so that he can come into a scene cold. His serious Hamlet take only makes his humorous scenes (the Logan birthday rap) that much funnier.
That was from a New Yorker article a few days ago.

But quite a few folks have stepped up to say that the article was written to make it sound like he was an unhinged, clueless, pretentious actor. Some fairly big names have stated he's actually a pretty decent guy who's getting unfairly characterized as such.

At the end of the day though, even if it's true that he disagrees that it's a comedy at the core, his earnest take on Kendall is what makes the character work. So more power to him, I say.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've seen a number of things that indicate that Jeremy Strong is very much into method acting, more so than the other cast members (apparently he wanted to actually get tear-gassed in the Chicago 7 movie). And in general there can be a fine line between method acting and craziness (see: Jared Leto in Suicide Squad).
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:46 am (see: Jared Leto in Suicide Squad).
That's a double pass.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Probably don't need to spoiler this, but, does anybody
Spoiler:
think Kendal is actually dead after watching the last episode (S3, E8)?
Seems obvious to me that that is definitely NOT the case, but I'm seeing lots of speculation -- and my wife actually thought -- that that is how that episode ended. I'm kind of shocked that's even something that people are contemplating.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've seen more than a few articles wondering if that was the case. I think it was intentional.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Spoiler:
He was breathing into the water, so it seems like it could go either way. If he passes out, would he come to if he started inhaling water?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:45 am I'm kind of shocked that's even something that people are contemplating.
Why?
Spoiler:
His face is in the water and he's presumably passed out.