Weighted blanket

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Weighted blanket

Post by dbt1949 »

Have any of you used a weighted blanket?
It looks to be something I could sleep better with.
However, does one feel trapped under something heavy?
Seems like they would be warmer too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Re: Weighted blanket

Post by Daehawk »

Just be careful as small pets like Yorkies can get trapped under them.

https://www.bustle.com/p/are-weighted-b ... e-13252092
"There is concern that weighted blankets may be too heavy for pets, especially smaller dogs and cats," Dr. Fox says. "The pressure of the blanket may make it difficult for them to move or even breath." Extra caution should be taken in pets with asthma, and "in brachycephalic animals (ex. French bulldogs, Pugs, Persian cats) who have difficulty breathing and expelling heat due to their flat faces. The weight the blanket puts on their bodies may induce panic, if it prevents them from moving around freely, which could cause them to go into respiratory distress."
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I haven't used one, but I like the bedroom to be cool so I can use weighty blankets and not overheat. I imagine the people they help don't feel trapped.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm using a Bearaby. There's no sand to leak out, the weave is open for better temperature control, and there's no heavy/light spots to manage.

We have a pug, and she has no issues (once my wife gets up) snuggling under it with me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They make them of all levels of insulation. They were developed for autistic people, as we tend to find physical pressure extremely calming and relaxing (see Temple Grandin's 'hug machine',which was the basis for the idea.) Even before I knew that, I have preferred cranking the temperature in the bedroom down to frigid levels at night and sleeping under multiple blankets. I never knew why until I read Temple's book - it's the pressure from the blankets. At the time, I found myself brainstorming ways to make them to achieve that effect, long before I knew that weighted blankets were an actual commercial product.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still don't own one, by the way, mostly due to how expensive the decent ones are. The 25lb Bearby, for instance, is $300.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They have a 15 lb one on sale for half price for $37.50.
I can't seem to get the Amazon link to work.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I LOVE my weighted blanket. If I have one piece of advice, do NOT get one in which the weights are kind of just sewn around the edges. What will inevitably happen is that your tossing and turning will dislodge the weights over time and before you know it you've got a thin blanket up top with a bunch of weight sloshing around at the bottom.

Instead, get one that has the weight distributed evenly by having it sewn in a grid pattern across the entirety of the blanket. I've got one sort of like this that uses glass beads:

Weighted blanket from Amazon

And I absolutely love it.

They can get warm (though the one I linked has a bit of a cooling effect), so if you're a "hot sleeper" you may not like it. I'm sort of the opposite - I like to be snuggled and toasty with the room cold, so it's perfect for that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wife bought one, we used it once or twice. It did nothing to improve my sleep, and my wife keeps the house too damn hot at night.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

FYI, Woot.com has one for sale today. I could be sure from the description whether the beads were along the edges or throughout. So some additional research might be necessary.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I tend to kick and move around a LOT during the night, so I hoped the weight would reduce that and help me feel snug and more relaxed. But instead it just made me feel more claustrophobic and I kind of battled with it. So unfortunately not for me, but I definitely could see how it might be nice for other people who sleep more "normally."
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, they came in today. Weighed so much I had a hard time getting them in the house. They're 15 lbs each and 4'X6'.
I don't know how my wife put hers on the bed but I'm just using the 4' at my feet and a little ways up.
I'm mainly interested in warming my feet.
We shall see how it goes tonight.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$5 says it'll be in the floor. Once the weight starts over the edge, it ain't coming back.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You could say the same thing about me. :shifty:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:50 pm Wife bought one, we used it once or twice. It did nothing to improve my sleep, and my wife keeps the house too damn hot at night.
I sleep too warm for a weighted blanket.

I do see that the ad I got for Bed, Bath and Beyond today has weighted blankets in it. Cheaper than the Amazon one shown.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife can never leave Blood, Bath and Beyond without spending at least $500...needless to say, I try to avoid the place.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:27 pm I'm using a Bearaby. There's no sand to leak out, the weave is open for better temperature control, and there's no heavy/light spots to manage.

We have a pug, and she has no issues (once my wife gets up) snuggling under it with me.
What weight do you use?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've used mine for a couple of nights. As I said I just have mine covering my feet. It does a good job of keeping my feet warm. Right now it is no where near cold enough to pull it any higher.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:59 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:27 pm I'm using a Bearaby. There's no sand to leak out, the weave is open for better temperature control, and there's no heavy/light spots to manage.

What weight do you use?
25lb