[Netflix] Arcane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

[Netflix] Arcane

Post by coopasonic »

The discussion in the Netflix megathread is ridiculously fragmented, which is why most megathreads should die. Anyway...

After I watched the third episode last night, I was thinking about giving it up. The art, animation, music and everything were all great, but it didn't really gel into anything I cared about. After three episodes I still wasn't sure what it was about and wasn't sure I was interested. I mean yeah, the options narrowed down quite a bit in that episode, but still not clear who or what the story is about.

This morning, as I am between games, I decided to give the 4th episode a try. I *still* don't know who or what the story is about, but now I WANT to know more. Now that I noticed someone commented on the eps 4-6 drop I realize I only have two more to watch and I'm already sad.

I think, for me, Castlevania had a similar problem where there wasn't really a main focus. It had four different main characters with their own storylines that hardly ever intersected. At least with Castlevania I had an idea who to root for even if that was subverted once or twice. I guess the lack of a clear hero (or even anti hero) is an evolution that I need to get used to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Re: [Netflix] Arcane

Post by hepcat »

Narcos: Mexico season 3 was really good. Anyone else finish that one?
Spoiler:
:twisted:
But that aside, Arcane was a surprise for me. I fully expected to hate it as it's a video game driven endeavor. But it's a smartly written, emotionally deep and beautifully animated piece of art.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Reasons I personally think it's brilliant, and several notches above the writing and character development of most of the other stuff I watch:
1. Complexity of heroes and villains - Just Like Real Life!(TM)
Lines are quite blurry, and it's done in an organic, believable way (unlike some shows that try to do the same, but much more clumsily)
2. Creators not afraid to pull a "Ned Stark"...or several!
I think a lot of people get pissed off and/or shocked by this because they have possibly been wussified (as content consumers) by a Disneyfied media diet. The good guys should always win, the lines shouldn't be THAT blurry between good and evil, and under no circumstances should a seemingly main character or highly developed one get killed off unceremoniously.
3. The art direction, animation quality...everything aesthetic about this is superb IMO.
4. I think they do a brilliant job of creating meaningful relationships and bonds, making me care about characters in a VERY short amount of screen/run time. I doubt that is easy to do, but they have done it well.

That's just off the top of my head. I would put the writing, (voice) acting and character development up against almost anything on Netflix right now, animated or not.

I always use my wife as a yardstick, because she has a negative bias towards anything animated. For her to be loving it says a lot. I suspect her feelings stem from wayyyyy too many animated shows and films after raising three kids.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I loved it. I mean they somehow got Sting for the final song. 8-)

Riot Games threw a ton of money at this AND had a very talented group of artists, writers and voice actors. And it shows.

Looking forward to season 2.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I found it hard to get over the steampunk setting. There was just something there that didn't click with me. That's weird since everything about it was top notch.

One quibble:
Spoiler:
Heimerdinger was always the voice of reason when dealing with the new technology. However, he never seemed to give any reasons.

Ex. 1 - He says this needs further experimentation and says not to announce this breakthrough. Then he just walks away. Drops a bombshell with none of the conversation that would come from such a bombshell.
Ex. 2 - He says the technology is dangerous and must be destroyed. "I've seen this happen before. Trust me." Yeah, how about you talk a little about why it's dangerous before pleading that they destroy this new tech. I understand that to the viewers it was obvious why it was dangerous, but he never gave a single reason to Jayce. Just begged him to destroy it and walked away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm The discussion in the Netflix megathread is ridiculously fragmented, which is why most megathreads should die. Anyway...
I thought about making an Arcane thread more than twice, but laziness won out each time. Thanks for being un-lazy.

I was hooked start to finish, and can't wait for season two. Agree with all of Carpet-pissr's comments.

Of the various summaries I posted in the Netflix thread, I think this one might be the most useful for folks on the fence: (spoiler: get off the fence and watch Arcane)

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 pm The discussion in the Netflix megathread is ridiculously fragmented, which is why most megathreads should die.
I fully support this.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just watched the last episode.

Wow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

coopasonic wrote:Just watched the last episode.

Wow.
I very rarely re-watch shows or movies.

Within a week of finishing S1, I started back on episode 1....and have just finished my second watch through.

Most everything just resonated so well as an 'experience' to me, from the voice acting to the overarching story, the lore and bits of quiet time in between the action, and possibly the biggest draw, the stunning animation.

I still can't believe it was based on LoL, which I have not played or even looked into. I felt it avoided so many video game movie/show problems by being accessible to all, and didn't purely feel like fan service. There was only one point that I actually felt like it *was* quite fan-servicey (spoiler below), and it stood out to me because of that feeling - everything else felt fluid and seamless in the story it was telling.
Spoiler:
The assault on the shimmer factory with Jayce was a bit out of place and over the top. Having someone that hasn't shown any inclination for action scenes, suddenly tearing things up, was a bit jarring
Can't wait for S2. Show of the year for me.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Arcane got quite a bit of play at the Game Awards last week.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gotta love how the 'Arcane is pretty great, right?' takes keep coming up months after release.

Wen S2?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awesome. Did they also write the show? The writing is just...amazing IMO.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:22 am Awesome. Did they also write the show? The writing is just...amazing IMO.
I believe it was collaborative but with two Riot dudes leading the writing team.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would really have loved to see that studio take a stab at a Borderlands show. I'd have way more confidence in that than in the Jack Black Claptrap we're getting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, it's not S2. Sorry to bump the thread and get hopes up. But I had to share this vid, which is actually older than the last one I shared.

I miss Arcane. Give me S2, plz.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still not S2; sorry.

Since last we spoke, Arcane won an Emmy and a Game Award. But that's not why I'm here...

Months late, I finished up the Arcane: Bridging the Rift making-of series on YouTube. If you enjoyed the show, I recommend this series. Really puts in perspective how far the production came, from a throwaway 'sure, take a $2k budget and work something up' to what may be the best video game adaptation ever made.

I particularly enjoyed the final two episodes, covering the music and sound production. Those ended up being a hugely important part of why the show clicked (see what I did there? Ehh??) for me.

Bridging the Rift Trailer:

Part 1 - I Only Dream in Risky

Part 2 - Persistence (Or When Your Best Still Sucks)

Part 3 - Killstreaks Meet Keyframes

Part 4 - Musical Misfits

Part 5 - We Gave It Our Best Shot

Season 2 plz.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:05 pm Still not S2; sorry.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Damn you, sir!! BOOOOOOO!!!! (throws rotten fruit)

:P
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

Zaxxon wrote:
I'm so glad it's happening, even if it's still a year away.

Still one of the best series I've seen in years. I'm disappointed that I couldn't convince wife to watch past episode 1 (was too violent for her liking), just because it was *so* good.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

had a friend that tried getting me into this, but i didn't see what was so great about it and didn't make it past the first episode
disarm

Post by disarm »

hitbyambulance wrote:had a friend that tried getting me into this, but i didn't see what was so great about it and didn't make it past the first episode
That's the problem...give it another shot past the first episode and it will make more sense. It's also worth knowing that the show was originally released in three acts. They released three episodes each week, and there are major story advancements between each set of episodes.

Trust me, it's definitely worth more time. Fantastic show
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I don’t remember the first episode being bad or uninteresting. :think:
disarm

Post by disarm »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I don’t remember the first episode being bad or uninteresting. :think:
Neither do I to be honest, but I think the show really comes into its own during the second act.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

My wife, who doesn't watch animated stuff (has never even sat through a full watch of Toy Story despite having three kids totally into it at different times) loved it. I don't watch anime and I loved it too.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know that I'd classify it as anime, although its aesthetic is one of many that looks like it borrowed from anime.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

November.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm delighted there is going to be another season.

That said... am I the only one that is getting really tired of miraculous recoveries for villains that have been killed? Maybe it's being fresh off Rebel Moon (I know, I shouldn't have watched it; but after all the negative comments I just had to see it for myself! :wink: )... but it is starting to feel like a far-too-common trope.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.