Firefly might be rebooted by Disney+

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Firefly might be rebooted by Disney+

Post by LordMortis »

I had more fun creating characters and ships in Traveller than ever trying to actually play. The creation mechanics were awesome. The creativity to run a game did run deep in me.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Grifman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:39 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:48 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:03 pmLame, right ?
The whole premise was kind of lame. Who the hell would voluntarily go into space with the equivalent of a beater 1972 station wagon? That civilization would somehow resemble the 1880's was absurd, it was only Whedon's story telling and a decent cast that made it worth the effort, but not enough people could overlook the silliness to make it stick. This is the trap that awaits a reboot -- how do you maintain the suspension of disbelief? The best sci fi does this, but careless attention to this detail will result in a tepid Butch Cassidy in space.
And old spaceship wasn't the equivalent of a station wagon. And surely it can't be surprising that on the frontier, every spaceship wouldn't be a brand spanking new star cruiser. It was a working class ship, not a luxury ship. It would haul freight and cargo and the crew, maybe a passenger or two from place to place for the most part. And uh, no, civilization as a whole did NOT resemble the 1880's. There were many worlds that were quite advanced as seen in several shows. But it was the frontier worlds that were less developed, were rough and tumble, that resembled - in some ways - the American West. And that was the place a former rebel could make a living doing certain less than legal things. Seriously, if this is a bad take, then what about Han Solo and Tantooine and Star Wars?

Your take is terribly inaccurate.
Jeff V's perspective on pretty much everything is almost invariably that of a misery guts.

Enlarge Image

See this? That's Jeff V opining, that is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I guess we can add Firefly to the list of things Jeff V hates :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If its the old crew all back and 20 years later its good. Anything other than that ..NO
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You did see the movie, didn't you?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Something tells me this reboot is going to suck more ass then a pestilence cloud of mosquitoes happening upon a migration of donkeys.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You people are old. I mean, I'm old, and even I'm not that curmudgeonly. "If it ain't like it was back in my day, it ain't no good!" There have been lots of reboots of things that have sucked, and lots that have been awesome. Star Trek: TNG. Kobra Kai. The Tick. MST3k. Battlestar (part of it.) Sabrina. Doctor Who. He-Man (from what I've heard.) All were beloved series that got reboots that were awesome.

Admittedly, the crappy reboots outweigh the great ones, but to dismiss the entire show outright based on a blurb is just silly. Watch it. If it sucks, it sucks. Stop watching, and the original is still intact, no harm done. And if it's great - well, aren't you glad you weren't you weren't a stubborn old guy who didn't give it a chance because it was change?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm probably your typical olde guy and I don't mind the change. I'd give this one a try.
But most of the examples you gave of "awesome" were crap. Youngster. :twisted:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:12 pm You people are old. I mean, I'm old, and even I'm not that curmudgeonly. "If it ain't like it was back in my day, it ain't no good!" There have been lots of reboots of things that have sucked, and lots that have been awesome. Star Trek: TNG. Kobra Kai. The Tick. MST3k. Battlestar (part of it.) Sabrina. Doctor Who. He-Man (from what I've heard.) All were beloved series that got reboots that were awesome.

Admittedly, the crappy reboots outweigh the great ones, but to dismiss the entire show outright based on a blurb is just silly. Watch it. If it sucks, it sucks. Stop watching, and the original is still intact, no harm done. And if it's great - well, aren't you glad you weren't you weren't a stubborn old guy who didn't give it a chance because it was change?
Very well reasoned and considered. I mean, I'm in for all of it. I'll either watch or hatewatch the whole thing either way. I figure at the very least it'll give me something *else* to hate Disney for if they ruin it.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.