Wonder Woman (from Monolith)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Wonder Woman (from Monolith)

Post by Blackhawk »

Just recently announced. Here's the reveal:

It's being made by Monolith, responsible for the Shadow of Mordor/War titles, and word is that it will use their Nemesis system. It has enough potential to keep me watching.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Re: Wonder Woman (from Monolith)

Post by hepcat »

I've been wondering why they haven't used the Nemesis system/Shadows of Mordor gameplay in another game. It seems easy enough to adapt it to any franchise. And it was a wonderful game.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Screen Rant, Shadow Of War's Nemesis System
In 2015, shortly after the release of the initial game, Warner Bros. filed for a patent that would see their developers get the exclusive rights to this unique gameplay mechanic. In 2021, after a lengthy legal battle, this patent was eventually approved, resulting in the system being banned from use by other studios.
The Harry Potter game Hogwarts Legacy looks to be developing a more personalized narrative and may work well with a Nemesis System involving both students and teachers. The other prime candidates are the upcoming DC titles, including Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League and Gotham Knights. Both will contain colorful comic book thugs which could mimic a criminal empire similar to that of the Orcs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Games Industry
According to IGN, the patent protects the "Nemesis characters, nemesis forts, social vendettas and followers in computer games."
This encompasses a hierarchy of procedurally-generated NPCs that interact with and remember the player's actions. The patent also covers changes to the NPCs' positions in the hierarchy, as well as their appearance and behaviour, again based on the actions of the player.

Finally, it includes the Social Conquest battles from the 2017 sequel Shadow of War, which allowed players to use these NPCs to defend their own strongholds and attack those of other players.

The patent will go into effect on February 23 and, providing they continue paying the fees, could be maintained until 2035.
Warner Bros originally applied for this patent in 2015, but has been asked to revise and resubmit it several times.

This has been due to similarities with other patents, including ones held by Square Enix, online title Webkinz and mobile title QONQR.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's a cool system and all, but I don't love that nobody can do anything similar without sending money over to them. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Wow.....that trailer was great!!!!!! At showing nothing!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was of an announcement than a trailer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This makes me feel like half the gameplay mechanisms I dreamed up as a 12-year-old could be patented.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sudy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 am This makes me feel like half the gameplay mechanisms I dreamed up as a 12-year-old could be patented.
Gotta do more than actually dream them up to get them patented.
Hodor.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My lawyers advised me poorly.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg