Nightingale ...builder survival in 19th century fantasy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Nightingale ...builder survival in 19th century fantasy

Post by Daehawk »

Same old game style in a new setting to me.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freyland

Re: Nightingale ...builder survival in 19th century fantasy

Post by Freyland »

Has solo play! Looks delightful.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Looks interesting enough to sign up for alpha/beta.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Early Access launch is 20 Feb 2024.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watching the video it kinda seems they overly complicated it somewhat.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

It looks interesting but with Path of Wuxia and Last Epoch I don't need another game right now. I've got to say that the crazy Victorian adventurer fever dream looks pretty good.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oddly enough, just a few days ago I was thinking that I wanted a game (that isn't Fortnite) which would let me wield an umbrella. Must be a sign.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Path of Wuxia also has an umbrella wielding character! Martial umbrellas must be the next big gaming trend.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm Mary Fuckin Poppins!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not super happy that the game is (currently) online-only even for solo play, but the price is low enough that I'm planning to give it a try. I'm still deep in BG3, so this likely won't get a lot of play time for now, aside from checking it out (and probably grumbling about the servers not handling the launch day stress).

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I need to see if my kiddo (kiddo... bro turns 18 in 3 months, but he's still my kiddo!) is interested in this. We are currently playing through Division 2 for a third time but I am dying for something new and survival-craft is my happy place. I'll probably pick it up regardless of his interest.... on the other hand I never did bother to pick up Enshrouded.. but thematically this one looks more interesting to me and the way world generation works is very interesting to me. I may... like... actually wait for other's impressions on this one. :shock:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Yes, I know it looks nothing at all like the film character. It was just the first name that came to mind when I tried to think of something suitably Victorian.

So far, so good. The game starts with a tutorial that introduces the basic gameplay mechanics (resource gathering, crafting, building, combat) while passing through a series of byways that introduce the 3 biomes (forest, desert, swamp) that are available at launch. After the tutorial you choose the biome you want for your first realm and get down to the serious business of building a base of operations while not dying.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought it, played for about an hour... so far it seems... fine. I like the promise of the portals and the cards, but so far I don't feel engaged like I was with so many other survivalcraft games. Ark grabbed me right away with the dinos and crafting. Conan Exiles grabbed me right away with the harsh opening and familiar enemies. Palworld grabbed me right away with the totally not Pokemons. Nightingale annoyed me with it's interface and tons of words on the screen without any pausing and near instant encumbrance and dreadful stamina regen and a tutorial that severely limited what you could do.

I haven't refunded it yet, but I still may.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've been enjoying it well enough, but I don't play a lot of survival/crafting games so I don't have much to compare it with. My biggest criticism at this point is that even though it doesn't seem to be pushing my hardware all that hard, I'm getting a sluggish frame rate of about 20-25 fps. Early days, I guess. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Interesting post by the devs on their Discord:
We’ve seen a lot of discussion in recent days around our decision to make Nightingale online-only at our Early Access release. We understand that this can be frustrating for a number of reasons.

Our vision for the game since inception was to create an interconnected series of Realms, with the idea of allowing for co-operative exploration in mind - a universe bigger than a single Realm or server. That meant we made a choice early in development between supporting co-op from day one or focusing development on an offline mode.

Co-operative gameplay associated with having party members across multiple Realms was the more technically challenging problem and therefore the one we chose to tackle first. Looking back on that decision, we misjudged what some of you were looking for in your experience.

We are now prioritizing and developing an offline mode that we plan to release as soon as feasible. Keep an eye on our social channels and Discord for updates in the coming weeks alongside other things we're working on. Thank you to everyone who has stepped into the Realms with us so far - the journey has just begun and we look forward to sharing it with you all.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will update my opinion to say that I am more engaged with the game now. It definitely still has some things that can improve but it is more interesting than I initially gave it credit for. Now how the hell the small tree I just chopped down managed to destroy a stone wall and foundation of my house makes me fairly annoyed, but lesson learned. Chop all the trees, then build the house!

I don't really care about the online requirement as I am accustomed to that from so many other survivalcraft games that it didn't even occur to me that it could be offline.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've avoided chopping down trees for the most part. I've been able to harvest all the wood I need so far from the logs laying about in the forested areas.

I'm mostly interested in solo play, so I'd be happy with a locally hosted server instance, like with Conan Exiles. A lot of the griping I've seen has to do with the lack of private servers than about it being online-only per se.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Don't blink!

Enlarge Image

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Took me longer than I want to admit.

Well played, sir. Well played. :clap:

:D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It was pretty abstract. :)
Mostly potential energy. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Splattercat plays...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Winter is coming...

Enlarge Image

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Alas, the Skill Up review of Nightingale portrays the game in its current state as a bit of a dud…
Skill Up wrote:In its current form, Nightingale combines the arduousness of the survival materials grind with the unsatisfying gear-score chase of an out-dated MMO. Coupled with poor combat and storytelling, Nightingale has an immense uphill battle ahead of it if it's to earn its place in the highly competitive survival scene.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's janky AF and has a ton of rough edges, but I still find myself enjoying it. No accounting for taste, I suppose. :lol:

I've made it to the end game, but that looks like it will be really grindy, so I may be done with it for now.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's interesting, in particular the way crafting works, the way different materials change the outcome, like massively is very interesting. The actual gameplay loop is fine. The combat is pretty sad but exploration is interesting and the way you can more or less create worlds and modify the worlds is different and interesting. If they can make the combat suck less and give us better weapon choices, it could really be something special.

I will keep playing this when I don't have other stuff to play, just to see what else is out there. I only have like 10 hours in the game and have yet to encounter magic (or guns). That might spice things up for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The crafting reminds me a little of Star Wars Galaxies, with the quality/stats of the resources you use having an effect on the finished product. It becomes more significant as you progress and gain access to higher tier resources from a variety of sources that have different characteristics.

Being able to build anywhere is also very cool. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I could solve some of the environmental puzzles by simply building a structure that let me access a difficult to reach spot, rather than by trying to climb and jump to reach them.

I found that combat got a lot better once I had some practice and got more of a handle on the mechanics. Once I learned how to move around better, block, dodge, aim for vulnerable points and just got better gear it felt a lot less awkward than it did when I started.

Access to firearms is gated by progression through the main quest chain. You need to do the Provisioner Site of Power in your home realm, then travel to each of the three types of Provisioner realms (forest, swamp, desert) to visit the essence traders there. Each of them sells the crafting schematic for a different type of firearm (pistol, rifle, shotgun) and ammo. Those are all you have until you get to the end game and get access to a wider variety of weaponry.

I haven't really done anything with magic spells yet. You can put an enchantments on a tool/weapon and there is a hot key that lets you cast it, but I never actually used any of the ones I had.

My first playthough was on medium difficulty for the most part, and it took about 80 hours to get to the end game. It would have been much faster if I hadn't spent so much time exploring different realms along the way. I didn't want to do the end game grind, so I started a new character at hard difficulty and am off to a better start by taking advantage of what I learned on the first pass.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finally got around to trying out some magic today. I crafted a Recovery (healing) enchantment and applied it to my mining pick (which is also my best melee weapon). There is a hot-key (R) to prepare the spell, then left-click to cast it. Holding the mouse button before releasing it charges up the spell (up to 3 levels), presumably to make it more powerful. The spell seems to be powered by stamina, so it can't be cast if stamina is too low.