Ready or Not (SWAT simulator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Ready or Not (SWAT simulator)

Post by $iljanus »

Blues News mentioned this game which seems to be the spiritual successor to the Sierra Games SWAT game which was a big favorite of mine. It will be an early access release but I’m hoping it will all work out because I miss games like SWAT or Rainbow 6.

Ready or Not

The Steam forums say the AI has some major problems but it’s early access so the developers will hopefully fix things…or not. But I’ll be optimistic (which costs me nothing since I’m not buying into the game quite yet :) )
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Re: Ready or Not (SWAT simulator)

Post by jztemple2 »

As someone who bought every SWAT game Sierra made, I've wishlisted it but I'll wait for more news, impressions and developments. Well, maybe not, as this is really the kind of game my old brain has come to enjoy, something that doesn't take dozens of hours to enjoy one playthrough. That forty bucks is rather daunting (update, for the alpha version). Hmm... found the official gameplay trailer.

Ah, that official trailer is two and a half years old, so YMMV :wink:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A more recent (early December) gameplay video:

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m happy to pay 40 bucks…for the finished product (if it doesn’t suck)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:04 pm I’m happy to pay 40 bucks…for the finished product (if it doesn’t suck)
Yeah, for the finished version I'd happily pay $40, but after watching the Devil Dog video above I think I'll let it wait for awhile.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:27 pm It will be an early access release but I’m hoping it will all work out because I miss games like SWAT or Rainbow 6.
Yeah, same here. There's something satisfying about slowly entering a room to make sure it's clear, and it's a feeling fast-paced shooters just don't get. The latest R6 just turned into a run-of-the-mill competitive shooter. Boring.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:20 pm
$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:27 pm It will be an early access release but I’m hoping it will all work out because I miss games like SWAT or Rainbow 6.
Yeah, same here. There's something satisfying about slowly entering a room to make sure it's clear, and it's a feeling fast-paced shooters just don't get. The latest R6 just turned into a run-of-the-mill competitive shooter. Boring.
And the planning that went into a breach or searching an area beforehand was satisfying as well. That’s one of the reasons why I’m looking forward to Door Kickers 2 (and a big fan of the first game)
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You should also check out Zero Hour.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:41 pm That’s one of the reasons why I’m looking forward to Door Kickers 2 (and a big fan of the first game)
DK2 is in very good shape, even though it is in Early Access. I've been posting in a thread about it (in case you missed it :wink:). Basic gameplay is pretty much complete. There are new features are being added periodically but they add onto the game rather than replace existing features. And right now there are just under 2500 maps you can download from the Workshop with many being rated so you can avoid the dogs.

Back to Ready or Not. I'm pleased to hear in the gameplay trailer that they are planning to add variability to each map so you can replay locations. I seem to recall that SWAT 4 had a feature where you could replay maps with randomized tangos, hostages and civilians.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm You should also check out Zero Hour.
I posted that on my phone. Zero Hour is also a SWAT successor, and it's a lot of fun. It's coop, and is individual missions rather than a campaign, but also has the ROE and evidence collection of SWAT 4. I'll post a video in spoilers (since it's off-topic...ish) and move on. ;)
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:08 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm You should also check out Zero Hour.
I posted that on my phone. Zero Hour is also a SWAT successor, and it's a lot of fun. It's coop, and is individual missions rather than a campaign, but also has the ROE and evidence collection of SWAT 4. I'll post a video in spoilers (since it's off-topic...ish) and move on. ;)
Spoiler:
I checked it out and it looked cool but it seems like you’re playing online with friends vs being anti social and playing with AI teammates which is my preferred method of playing these days. But I’m happy to be wrong :)
Black lives matter!

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm
Back to Ready or Not. I'm pleased to hear in the gameplay trailer that they are planning to add variability to each map so you can replay locations. I seem to recall that SWAT 4 had a feature where you could replay maps with randomized tangos, hostages and civilians.
The early R6 games had that too, which was great fun in multiplayer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Are you ready, or not, for a game with a school shooting mission?

Game Loses Publisher Days After Devs Remind Fans About Apparent School Shooting Level
Ready or Not, the tactical first-person shooter from developer Void Interactive which entered Early Access just days ago, will no longer be published by Team17. On Twitter, Void Interactive said the “mutually agreed” upon decision for the two to part ways is “the right path for the future” of the game. Notably, this comes just days after a developer on the game indicated future updates may include a level set during a school shooting.
It’s a curious development, made more so by its timing. When asked on December 19 in the game’s subreddit whether Ready or Not should have a school shooting mission in the campaign, a Void Interactive developer under the username Gruntr said “you better believe it’s gonna,” all but confirming the mission’s planned existence. Three days later, the studio is amicably splitting from its publisher. While unconfirmed, people online speculate it’s because of this level’s intended inclusion.
It’s unclear just what the school shooting mission will be, should it make its way into the game. The Ready or Not Discord is blowing up with discussions over the still-hypothetical level, with some players suggesting it would be “cool” to play, voicing their ideas on what it should entail, and deciding which gear they’d take with them. Others decry the mission’s possible inclusion, calling those asking for it “a fucking weirdo” while pontificating on why it’s problematic. The idea of Ready or Not venturing into the realm of school shootings is nothing new, though, as a brief moment from the game’s 2017 reveal trailer is taken from the perspective of someone clearly hiding under a desk in a classroom.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, having a game with a level set in a school probably wasn't the brightest idea.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They're getting free publicity and no longer have a publisher taking a slice of the pie. What could go wrong? :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

From reading their subreddit where a bunch of people had all sorts of reasons why a school level should be in the game I think I’ll be passing on this game.
Black lives matter!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another shoe dropping: Ready or Not studio says planned 'school shooting' level did not cause split with publisher
We liked what we saw of the SWAT-style shooter Ready or Not when we got our first look at it in 2019. Set in a crumbling and corrupt near-future US, it features gameplay inspired by the original Rainbow Six and SWAT series that challenges players to "defuse hostile and confronting situations." At the time, it was expected to release near the end of 2020, but instead it debuted in Early Access on December 17 of this year.

Just a few days after that, however, developer Void Interactive announced that it had parted ways with Team17, the publisher. "Void Interactive and Team17 have mutually agreed that Team17 will no longer publish Ready or Not," the studio tweeted. "We are confident that this is the right path for the future of Ready or Not, and we thank Team17 for their partnership and wish them great success with their spectrum of games!"
It's a good article to read, and I think the author made a good point here:
To be clear, this school shooting level doesn't actually exist at this point—it's all entirely hypothetical at this point. And if it ever does come to be, players will presumably be intervening in a shooting, not committing it. As we've previously seen in Six Days in Fallujah, designing a game around a sensitive real-life scenario is perhaps the clearest way for a developer to communicate their worldview, which will be scrutinized and criticized. And, in general, videogame recreations of real life tragedies are going to cause a strong reaction. School shootings are regular subjects for movies and television shows, but an interactive medium is an entirely different matter.