Books Read 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Books Read 2022

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:49 pm The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss

Finished this last week. I had gotten semi-bored with it and put it down half-way, then picked it up again pretty recently and wound up getting re-engrossed in it. It's very well written and pretty interesting, but also kind of winds up being a series of short stories centered around Kvothe (the main character). I guess my main issues with the series thus far is that while in some ways it's refreshing that it's not all anchored around some world-threatening quest, at the same time it'd be nice if the story had a little more of a focus around some type of main quest. Like there is an overarching quest in the background, but it's *very* far in the background and Kvothe hasn't really made much in the way of progress towards addressing that. The other thing is that the core storytelling mechanic of having Kvothe recount his adventures but from kind of a sad / depressing point in his life is, you know, kind of sad and depressing about where all this is ongoing.

Anyway, I have very much enjoyed the series overall. Now I guess I get to enjoy the "when will the next book come out?" folks...
I loved Name of the Wind, but I really disliked Wise Man's Fear.

Rothfuss is a mess and it really is a question as to when and if this series will be finished. He does a lot of youtube stuff talking about it if you are interested. He still claims it will be finished in one more book, but after the second book I really doubt that. I think he has GRRMs problems. Loves telling stories but can't finish a plot.

He also I guess has had some depression/mental health problems.
I mean, realistically he can't finish the story in one book, meaning that he can't both bring everything up to the "present day" of when Kvothe is telling the story, and also tell the "future" beyond that point as well. So with the third book he should just take everything up to the present, and then do another 1 - 3 books on the future.

Easy peasy. :)

But whatever, honestly I don't really care one way or the other if he finishes the series. If he doesn't it'll free up reading time for other books.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another way he could do it is bring the story up to the present day, leaving the events after the recounting as a red herring that he wraps up in a few pages. Deeply unsatisfying but he could go back to gencon, blog posts and spinoff short stories.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Service: A Navy SEAL at War - Marcus Luttrell (Audio)

This is a follow-on to Lone Survivor, a look at the rest of his career and early retirement. I enjoyed listening to it, even though I'm not a follower of some of his philosophies.

Tinker Tailor Sailor Spy - John le Carré (Audio)

I had watched the film a while back, and blanked out most of it. This was an entertaining listen. After I finished it, I went and watched the film again, and enjoyed it.

The film has a star-studded cast. And you get to watch Benedict Cumberbatch beat up Tom Hardy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 pm Another way he could do it is bring the story up to the present day, leaving the events after the recounting as a red herring that he wraps up in a few pages. Deeply unsatisfying but he could go back to gencon, blog posts and spinoff short stories.
I'd say the obvious route is to have Kvothe essentially get his mojo / determination back at the end, and then end the book with Kvothe going forth with the intention to do heroic things. And then leave said heroic things TBD. Which Rothfuss may get to writing later or not at all, but either way wraps up this trilogy.
Black Lives Matter.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:46 pm Another way he could do it is bring the story up to the present day, leaving the events after the recounting as a red herring that he wraps up in a few pages. Deeply unsatisfying but he could go back to gencon, blog posts and spinoff short stories.
I'd say the obvious route is to have Kvothe essentially get his mojo / determination back at the end, and then end the book with Kvothe going forth with the intention to do heroic things. And then leave said heroic things TBD. Which Rothfuss may get to writing later or not at all, but either way wraps up this trilogy.
which still doesn't address the question of the final book having substandard writing. maybe it's just not meant to be ala Duke Nukem Forever (which is why i'm not bothering with the second book aaaaanytime soon)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Cthulhu Armageddon by C.T. Phipps - I loved the premise of this one. The Elder Gods have won, and Earth is reduced to a hellish, desolate landscape. Humanity only survives in small rag-tag pockets, and battling against Cthulhian forces and cults has become a normal part of every day life.

This book moves at a breakneck speed, and is packed with just about every Lovecraftian reference you can imagine. Popular Lovecraftian characters and locations get a post-apocalyptic update. As the author describes it, it's essentially Cthulhu meets Fallout.

I enjoyed this first in the series, though not sure if I'm going to continue it with all the other stuff I have left to read. Still, if you're a Lovecraft fan or grew up playing Call of Cthulhu, you'll probably get a kick out of it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm
which still doesn't address the question of the final book having substandard writing. maybe it's just not meant to be ala Duke Nukem Forever (which is why i'm not bothering with the second book aaaaanytime soon)
Well, I'm not sure that we know that the writing is substandard. It sounds like what we know about that so far is mostly writer angst. FWIW in Wise Man's Fear I thought the writing scene to scene was very good (like each distinct adventure that Kvothe went on within the book was very well written), it's more that he wound up creating a big picture story arch challenge for himself by not advancing the "main quest" enough.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:48 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 pm
Well, I'm not sure that we know that the writing is substandard. It sounds like what we know about that so far is mostly writer angst. FWIW in Wise Man's Fear I thought the writing scene to scene was very good (like each distinct adventure that Kvothe went on within the book was very well written), it's more that he wound up creating a big picture story arch challenge for himself by not advancing the "main quest" enough.
I don't think quality of writing is the issue with Rothfuss. In fact his mastery of prose it a big part of what makes the impasse so frustrating. But his lack of focus is illustrated by the WAY too long detour into the fey. Pages that could have been better spent progressing the main quest.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

His problem is the main quest and aging his character into it. In one book.

If I thought it would ever get finished I would recommend Rothfuss go to 4 books and stick to the quest. Then if he wants to add to it he could.
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I wouldn't mind if he moved to a series of novellas while the grand ending was in progress. I quite liked 'The Slow Regard of Silent Things'.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Two-fer!

Finished Moon Witch, Spider King by Marlon James on Kindle. This is book 2 in the Dark Star Trilogy (sometimes referred to as the African Game of Thrones), following Black Leopard, Red Wolf, which I read a few years ago. The first book told the story of Tracker, who was hired to use his extraordinary sense of smell to track down a young boy who had been kidnapped, but he didn't know why. This second book follows Sogolon (aka, the Moon Witch), who is also involved in the hunt for this mystery boy - except that she knows exactly who the boy is and why he is being sought out. She doesn't really care, though. She's just out for revenge, and the boy is the best way to get that revenge.

I really enjoyed the way this book switched the focus from the first book. While Tracker was the hero (anti-hero?) from the first book and Sogolon was as much an adversary as an ally, this book casts Sogolon in a more sympathetic light and helps the reader to understand why she does what she does. There's still plenty of supernatural, violence, and sex (sometimes all combined into one), and while the prose can be challenging at times, it's worth the read. Book 2 lacks the "wow" factor of the first book, but it's still well worth the read and I'm looking forward to the conclusion (whenever that's released).

I also finished The Sandman Vol. 2 - The Doll's House written by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III, Chris Bachalo, Michael Zulli and Steve Parkhouse, colored by Robbie Busch, and lettered by Todd Klein. The Doll's House more or less wraps up the first season of the Netflix adaptation of the books, and it covers Rose Walker and her trials with weird housemates, serial killers, and Morpheus. It was fun to read this just before watching the adaptation and thinking about why certain things were modified for the screen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie

This is book three of The Age of Madness trilogy. I have to admit I wasn't enthralled by the first book of this trilogy. But the second book was very good and so I had high hopes for this one. The first third of this book is a little slow, gathering steam from how the second book ended, for the most part. Abercrombie kind of doing his riff on the French Revolution I think. But the story starts moving and the plot thickens and the book doesn't let you down. There are twists you see coming and others that totally blind side you. A fine read.

I don't think this measures up to The First Law trilogy. It doesn't have as memorable of characters, although some appear in both. There is perhaps a little too much politics. But Abercrombie does a fine job of bringing it all together and probably laying out the ground work for another trilogy.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Alan Moore (author), Jacen Burrows (illus) - Neonomicon : while this _exceedingly Freudian_ take on H.P. Lovecraft and the Cthulu mythos had some interesting parts, this was definitely not A-grade Moore... or even B-grade. (Moore admitted in an interview this was put out just to pay off a large tax bill). some pretty vile illustration work by Burrows (also illustrator of Garth Ennis' Crossed, so you know what to expect here)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Call for the Dead - John le Carré (George Smiley #1)

I listened to the audio dramatization, then went back for the book, as I imagine that the writing would give more depth to the story. It does, though not a whole lot. On to A Murder of Quality.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished Ron Chernow's WASHINGTON: A LIFE. At 800+ pages, it was quite an endeavor.

Still I enjoyed it immensely. Really does a fine job of giving a balanced portrayal of Washington's strengths and weaknesses, as well as dismissing many of the common myths we were all indoctrinated taught in school about the Founding Fathers.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Mark Twain - The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyville : i always like morality tales of hypocrisy and this novella is an amusing one.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:13 pm Finished Ron Chernow's WASHINGTON: A LIFE. At 800+ pages, it was quite an endeavor.

Still I enjoyed it immensely. Really does a fine job of giving a balanced portrayal of Washington's strengths and weaknesses, as well as dismissing many of the common myths we were all indoctrinated taught in school about the Founding Fathers.
This is a very excellent book. I do enjoy biographies that don't endeavor to place the subject on a pedestal, though.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh (audiobook). The protagonist is my sexual fantasy: young, pretty, thin, selfish, rude, mendacious, lazy, unhygienic, drug-addled, and just the right amount of racist.

She's a Manhattanite who, despite her privileged background, can't even manage her simple job as a receptionist at a gauche art gallery. She despises everyone, including herself, her best friend, and her boyfriend who is just using her (and she's fine with that). She's never had a close relationship with anyone, including her now-deceased parents.

She can't think of a reason to live, but believes that if she could just sleep for an entire year, she'll wake up refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on life. So she lies to her loopy therapist to get mind-altering prescription drugs and experiments with them in various combinations and amounts to achieve a state of hibernation. Despite her self-destructive nature, I couldn't help but get caught up in her "quest" and found it funny, poignant, and insightful. I also like how this book satirizes the art scene.

I was reminded of the 1984 novel Bright Lights, Big City, which is about a male cocaine addict and satirizes journalism. Both books are about young Manhattanites who use drugs to escape the feeling that they are lost. But they both have the same problem of losing the pace by getting too detailed at times. In addition, MYORAR's final chapter is jarringly different in tone. While it's beautiful and inspiring, I don't think the book properly built the road to get there.

This is the first book I've read by the author, and my understanding is that it spawned a genre of "bad girl" books. The audiobook narrator, Julia Whelan, is very good, and her voice has "cream and chew" that is pleasant to hear even while fitting the unpleasant main character. 6 out of 8 bodega coffees.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished:
I saw this at the library and was intrigued by the title. When I started reading it I realized it was the second book in a trilogy and I had read the first book (A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, The Salvagers #1) years ago. No matter that I had forgotten it, as the story stands on its own. It incorporates a magic system that is interesting, but I didn't feel it was essential. This is space opera with a sense of humor (but not over the top). 7/8 hands jammed in pockets.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A Murder of Quality - George Smiley heads out to a college town to play Sherlock Holmes for a friend from the war.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - Alec Leamas is sent on a mission to East Germany to spread disinformation.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson

This is book 6 of the A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. This is a long book, covering a lot of ground. I do believe we get our first in book usage of the term "Fallen" in this book, as the empire teeters on the edge and the Gods begin to take sides in the coming war. A book of this size and complexity would lose a lot of readers but I find myself caught up in the trials and tribulations of my favorite characters, and this book has a lot of them. But because of the length and complexity of these books I find I have to read something between each one. The books are now over 1,000 pages each and I just need a breather in between.

So something else, and then on to book 7.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finished the first two books (and I'm halfway through) Fritz Leiber's "Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" books. I'm enjoying them quite a bit. They're quick reads for fantasy, and the short story style keeps the pace moving. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Conan adventures due to the style of the magic and supernatural elements. They've been on my list a LONG time, so it's nice to finally get around to them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In my constant struggle to find books to read that quite possibly no one else has read (at least on this forum :wink:) I wish to announce that I am half way through what I consider to be a very interesting book, Faxed: The Rise and Fall of the Fax Machine (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology) by Jonathan Coopersmith (Amazon link). I've always had an interest in history and also in technology and books like this satisfy both those areas. Faxed is not just a technological history, it is also a social history. The first facsimile machine was built and patented in 1843 and the technology kept being a solution in search of a problem. The books discusses the many systems, applications, businesses and other aspects of facsimile technology. It is (perhaps surprisingly) a rather enjoyable read.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

Found this in a free lending library. Fairly short and by a famous author that I'd never read, so picked it up. Definitely worth a read - Baldwin's a great writer. Mostly focused on African-American issues. Quick read, and very interesting. Definitely sad that a lot of what he's writing about is still applicable to a large degree today.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:15 pm
Historic debate between James Baldwin v. William F. Buckley Jr. at Cambridge University on the question: "Is the American Dream at the expense of the American Negro?"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What If? 2 by Randall Monroe

Pretty sure you guys are generally familiar with this stuff. The xkcd guy made another book exploring random questions with excessive math. As always it's pretty funny and hilarious. Definitely recommend.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:46 pm What If? 2 by Randall Monroe

Pretty sure you guys are generally familiar with this stuff. The xkcd guy made another book exploring random questions with excessive math. As always it's pretty funny and hilarious. Definitely recommend.
I have it and it's next up for me. Although it can be savored over time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In What if? 2, I literally LOL'd at Enrico Fermi's Favorite Movies:

* 100 Dalmatians
* Ocean's Ten
* T10N (Can anyone figure this one out?)@
* 1000: A Space Odyssey
* The Tenth Sense
* 10 Mile
* The 100-Year-Old Virgin
Spoiler:
3 rounds to 1, 4 rounds to 10
@
Spoiler:
It must be Se7en, but wouldn't that be Se10en?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

The Wheel of Time, Book 11: Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan (ebook + audiobook): The first half of this book is great! So many incredible events, just boom one right after another. Shifting strategies leading to unlikely alliances, hubris leading to tragedy, love leading to angst, horror leading to heroism, and a princess leading her retinue into a dive bar. It's almost too much.

The second half isn't as good, regressing back to overdescribing and too many uninteresting characters running around to keep track of. There are battles, and they're fun but have become kind of rote now, playing out much the same way with few surprises.

Still, this book is a step in the right direction. For many, books 7 to 10 are a slog. For me, the slog started in book 4. But we're coming out of it now! 5 out of 8 lance tassels.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Finished Dead Beat by Jim Butcher on Kindle. It's been a while since I've returned to the world of Harry Dresden, wizard at large, but I picked up the bundle of the second six novels recently and just finished the first one. This edition has Harry doing battle with some necromancers who are in his beloved Chicago and trying to figure out a way to turn one of them into a god via raising the dead - although the necromancers are also in competition with one another for the honors. As is typical for these books, Harry takes an almost comical beating throughout but manages to survive (shouldn't be a spoiler there - there are still five more books in this collection, plus additional beyond that). It's all good fun.

Butcher seems intent on demonstrating, however, that he doesn't actually know much about Chicago. Part of this adventure takes place in the run down neighborhood that encircles the wealthier University of Chicago - which Butcher identifies as Lincoln Park. Anyone who knows Chicago knows that UofC is actually in Hyde Park (one time home of the Obamas) on the South Side, while LIncoln Park is a wealthy neighborhood on the North Side (surrounded not by run down areas, but by only slightly less wealthy areas). I have to think he's trolling by this point, as that should have been an easy pickup. On a lesser note, there is also some activity with SUE the T-Rex, the largest, most complete T-Rex skeleton that resides at the Field Museum in Chicago. Butcher calls them Sue (it's supposed to be all caps) and refers to it as female (their gender is undetermined from the fossil record and SUE's official Twitter account uses they/them).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The T-Rex bit in that book was a ton of fun.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Slow Regard of Silent Things: Kingkiller Chronicle, Book 2.5 by Patrick Rothfuss (audio book)

Picked this up after finishing the second book of the maybe-never-to-be-finished ingkiller Chronicle. This focused on Arie, a supporting character in the first couple books who is a little mentally "off" (has a different way of thinking about things) likely due to the impact of using magic in her past. The book follows her as she adventures mostly by herself in the area near / underneath the university. It's interesting in that she never actually interacts with another character, but because she's 'off' she anthropomorphizes all of the objects that she interacts with as well as the spaces / buildings / rooms, so they kind of become characters as well. There's also a lot of made up words that she uses.

It's definitely an odd / unusual book. I enjoyed it - in many ways it was pretty relaxing, and kind of like a long spoken word poem in a number of ways. Also Rothfuss himself read the audio book, so it was pretty interesting to hear him run through it.

She-Hulk Epic Collection: Breaking The Fourth Wall by John Byrne.

Picked this up since I've been enjoying the She-Hulk show, and read a She-Hulk comic a few years ago that had her interacting with both legal and superhero issues in interesting ways. Honestly this book was ok but not that great - mostly just generic superhero adventures fighting assorted aliens / supervillains / etc. Not especially interesting or funny. But it's fine, just nothing special.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:40 am The T-Rex bit in that book was a ton of fun.
I think probably more than a ton, if we're being accurate. I don't want to say much more and spoil the moment for anyone (although it's foreshadowed pretty blatantly early on), but it's sublimely ridiculous.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 am I don't and I'm not likely to start. My brain isn't wired right to focus on audio books. My oldest son primarily listens to audio books due to his disabilities preventing him from reading a book in a more traditional manner, so I've grown to appreciate their utility and some of the readers do a great job of performing the material. From those, however, I also know that if I'm not concentrating on the audio book, my mind wanders too much and if I am concentrating on the audio book - well let's just say that wouldn't be too safe for other drivers or for our dishes.
I thought that would be me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Driving and listening isn't a problem at all, walking (or other exercise) works well, as does tasks like cutting the grass, shoveling snow, doing laundry, really anything that doesn't require intensive focus.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:50 am I don't and I'm not likely to start. My brain isn't wired right to focus on audio books. My oldest son primarily listens to audio books due to his disabilities preventing him from reading a book in a more traditional manner, so I've grown to appreciate their utility and some of the readers do a great job of performing the material. From those, however, I also know that if I'm not concentrating on the audio book, my mind wanders too much and if I am concentrating on the audio book - well let's just say that wouldn't be too safe for other drivers or for our dishes.
I thought that would be me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Driving and listening isn't a problem at all, walking (or other exercise) works well, as does tasks like cutting the grass, shoveling snow, doing laundry, really anything that doesn't require intensive focus.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Mysterious and Horrific Stories by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (hardcover, LibraryThing Early Review): The author was an Irish horror author of the 1800s. His most well-known work is Carmilla, which is said to have helped influence Bram Stoker’s Dracula. This collection of his lesser-known short stories is my first encounter with the author.

The stories are as follows:
1. An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street
2. A Chapter in the History of a Tyrone Family
3. An Authentic Narrative of a Haunted House
4. The Child That Went with the Fairies
5. The Drunkard’s Dream
6. The Fortunes of Sir Robert Ardagh
7. The Murdered Cousin
8. The Mysterious Lodger
9. The Phantom Fourth
10. Sir Dominick’s Bargain: A Legend of Dunoran
11. The Spectre Lovers
12. Squire Toby’s Will: A Ghost Story
13. Stories of Lough Guir
14. Schalken the Painter
15. The Vision of Tom Chuff

The stories can be quite imaginative, featuring keen observations on human nature and twists that I don’t think have been imitated elsewhere. But they are often plagued by plodding prose and an inability to stick the landing. A bunch of them are basically “We stayed at this house, there was this weird guy there, then we left and never saw him again.” It’s as if the author was still figuring out how to write horror, and perhaps he was.

Of all the stories, the one I really liked was “The Murdered Cousin.” It’s a suspenseful and surprising tale of the abuse and gaslighting of women, made possible by the servile roles they are assigned in society. “The Mysterious Lodger” and “Squire Toby’s Will” aren’t bad, either. “The Phantom Fourth” could be the basis of a good horror-comedy film. The rest of the stories range from average to cabbage. 4 out of 8 sogers.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Den of Thieves by James B. Stewart (audio book)

This is a book about the insider trading ring in the 80s dominated by (among others) Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky, before getting exposed and brought down in a series of criminal and civil prosecutions. I really enjoyed it - not a lot that I knew about before, and very interesting. I feel like part of my criticism of almost every book I read this days is that it could've been shorter / more efficient, and to degree that's true here as well. In particular the lead up to the investigations and prosecutions I think went on a little longer than it could have. But well done, and pretty engaging.
Black Lives Matter.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Children of the Land by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo (hardcover): This is the author's memoir of immigrating with his parents from Mexico to USA as a child, living as an undocumented person, and his attempts to obtain legal residency status for himself and his family. It's a story of the absurdity and injustice of the immigration system, of the years-long struggle to cross a border that the documented can cross in minutes, and of long, painful goodbyes. It's also about the author coming to terms with his dual identity, his abusive father, his sexuality, and alcoholism.

This book is an opportunity for people who never have to worry about being harassed or detained just for existing to understand the perspective of those who do. Unfortunately, there is a lot of filler that gets in the way. The author, a poet by profession, writes extensively about his weird perspectives, which I didn't find interesting or relevant. I skimmed the better part of the book. 4 out of 8 tubes of caulk.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nazi Billionaires: The Dark History of Germany's Wealthiest Dynasties, by David de Jong

This is about Germany's ultrarich family dynasties, from the early 1930s to the present (focused on the 30s and 40s). You're not going to believe it, but a bunch of rich people acted like complete shitheads and then faced minimal accountability for their actions. It emphasizes that Germany's ultrarich played a significant role in funding the Nazi Party in its early days of their reign (at least from the point where Hitler was appointed chancellor through and beyond his consolidation of absolute power), and then cozied up to the Nazi regime. While for the most part they weren't active in the Final Solution, they did absolutely take advantage of the regime by acquiring Jewish businesses through "aryanizations". Of note, I did not know that Porsche's co-founder (Alfred Rosenberger) was Jewish, and was pushed out by Porsche for minimal compensation. And on top of that, a number of them used slave labor of various Nazi subject peoples during the war.

I will say that there wasn't *no* accountability for this after the war, which is kind of what I was expecting. Apparently the Nuremberg trials were originally planned to be in stages, with the first focused on the core Nazi political leadership, and the second focused on the prominent business leaders upholding the Nazi regime. There were in the end some proceedings against business leaders, leading some of them to go to jail for a few years. Others lost businesses at least temporarily. However, those who did go to jail were out within a couple years generally, and they had their businesses restored to them (often having to pay some but not a massive amount to Jews that they had victimized). So that's not great overall, but actually better than I had expected.

And of course, the rich families during the war generally went on to be fabulously ultrarich after the war.

Also - one other fun fact that I learned is that a granddaughter of Joseph and Magda Goebbels eventually converted to Judaism.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Remember when Oumuamua did a flyby of our solar system and some thought it might be an alien spacecraft? What if there was a spacecraft and it took up a solar orbit beyond Mars? That is the premise of this 1968 old school sci-fi novel, recommended by someone on Media Death Cult.

This book predated Rendezvous with Rama by 5 years, and the culture is firmly rooted in the 60's. Earth sends two ships to investigate and all goes well until the astronauts start making mistakes.

The writing sometimes lacked clarity, and the book essentially devolved into a bug hunt. Was worth reading at under 200 pages, but the conclusion was not particularly satisfying. 4.5/8 transparent blisters.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter