Books Read 2022

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hipolito

Re: Books Read 2022

Post by Hipolito »

You Can't Be Serious by Kal Penn (audiobook): You know the author from his roles in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, The Namesake, House, Designated Survivor, and Sunnyside. (Oh wait, you probably don’t know about Sunnyside because NBC set it up to fail.) He narrates the audiobook version of this memoir, and is as hilarious and delightful as you’d expect. But as he reflects on his careers both in acting and serving in the Obama administration, he goes into pretty serious stuff, especially the overwhelming amount of racism in supposedly progressive Hollywood. I felt inspired by his stories of standing up for himself while learning how to play the game, all told with earnestness, humility, introspection, and laugh-out-loud humor. 7 out of 8 koozies.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Susuke Natsukawa The Cat Who Saved Books - this is kinda what Y.A. Haruki Murakami-lite would be like
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley (hardcover): This young adult (some call it “new adult”) detective novel is about a college-bound woman who is half White, half Ojibwe Indian. Her hockey-mad Michigan Upper Peninsula town of Sault Ste. Marie is suffering a meth epidemic, and the meth is laced with local mushrooms that may have medicinal significance to the tribe. She’s compelled to investigate, and uncover family secrets, when the epidemic closes in on the people she cares about.

I should have liked this book more than I did. It’s packed with insight on what it’s like to be a person of mixed race, an Ojibwe woman, a teenager saddled with adult worries and responsibilities, and even a hockey player. The plot is bolstered by impressive scientific, legal, and cultural research, and shows why federal law enforcement in Indian land is so problematic. The dialogue is filled with snappy teenage zingers, Ojibwe vocabulary, and Yooper dialect. Despite its enriching content, I wasn’t always entertained by it. I couldn't figure out the contextual meaning of some of the Ojibwe words and lost track of who was related to whom in the protagonist’s tangled family tree. While the climax and conclusion are good, the journey there isn’t always absorbing. I'm still glad I read it for the understanding it gave me of frequently overlooked people and issues. 5 out of 8 pinches of tobacco.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The theme sounds kind of similar to Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese. In that story, a young Ojibway is taken from his family by the government and put into a residential school. He discovers hockey and finds out he's really good at it and uses that as a way to escape his dark reality. It sounds like you might like this one a little more, as the story was fairly engaging and well-written. They even made a really good movie out of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thanks, Rumpy, that does sound interesting. I'll check it out. Also I forgot to mention that the Netflix adaptation of Firekeeper's Daughter is supposed to be coming out soon.

Edit: Reading Firekeeper's Daughter reminded me of the Val Kilmer movie Thunderheart, about a federal agent investigating crimes on an Indian reservation who is conflicted about his own Indian heritage.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

James Dickey - To the White Sea : an American bomber is shot down over 1945 Tokyo and the sociopathic rear gunner is the only surviving crew member. his only goal is to make it on foot to Hokkaido and settle there to live off the land, no matter what 'survival at all costs' atrocities he commits along the way. all the while the narrative devolves while he falls deeper into mental derangement. even more manly-man man how manman can man get (to an extreme) than Deliverance (tho this one has castration anxiety rather than the penetration kind). found out afterwards this was slated to become a Coen Brothers film in the 90s, but then Dickey died.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lucifer’s Hammer

Currently reading, not sure will finish. Part of the turnoff is the narrator I think (audiobook). But part of it is that it was written in 1977.

Someone who’s read it convince me to keep going. :D

Lucifer's Hammer is a science fiction post-apocalypse-survival novel by American writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle that was first published in 1977.[2] It was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1978.[3] Two issues of a planned six-part comic book adaptation were published by Innovation Comics in 1993.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:01 am Lucifer’s Hammer

Currently reading, not sure will finish. Part of the turnoff is the narrator I think (audiobook). But part of it is that it was written in 1977.

Someone who’s read it convince me to keep going. :D

Lucifer's Hammer is a science fiction post-apocalypse-survival novel by American writers Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle that was first published in 1977.[2] It was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1978.[3] Two issues of a planned six-part comic book adaptation were published by Innovation Comics in 1993.
I read it when it came out which was before all the zombie apocalypse stuff came out and loved it. Don't remember much now except the stores were pretty much sold out so he maxed his credit out on spices. I thought that was pretty shrewd.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I loved Lucifer's Hammer when it came out, it turned me into a Pournelle/Niven fanboy. In general, near-future books lose their impact when the time comes and goes. While I did find it a plausible account on how such an event would drive civilization into the crapper, it was more recently revisited in Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson, read by Jack Garrett
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:16 pm In general, near-future books lose their impact when the time comes and goes.
This is our concern, Dude.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question by Michael Schur (audio book)

This is by the creator of the show The Good Place (and other shows, including Parks and Recreation) and functionally is kind of a counter-piece to the show. Schur is deeply interested in moral philosophy (hence, you know, creating The Good Place) and this book is kind of a tour of big concepts in moral philosophy and how they can guide one's actions in choosing to try to live a moral life. So he goes through Kant, utililitarianism, existentialism, Ubuntu, and other things, and looks at how they apply to sample moral quandaries. And since it's Michael Schur he's funny while he's doing so.

I liked the book. Basically not the greatest book I've ever read, but interesting and funny. If you're interested on moral philosophy (and/or loved the Good Place) it's worth checking out. I was generally more interested in the philosophy concepts than in the actual application of them to problems, so I tended to tune out a bit on the latter, but overall it was good.

As a side note - I listened to this as an audio book, and a lot of the cast members from the Good Place read the chapter titles and quotes in the book.
Black Lives Matter.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (audiobook): a world-famous but enigmatic novelist finally wants to tell her life story. She asks an antique bookseller to be her biographer. The bookseller has never read anything by the novelist, has little writing experience herself, and is dubious about the novelist's intentions. Why would a celebrated author need the help of this mousy young woman?

The first third of this modern gothic mystery is a wonderful, sprawling discovery of fascinating people, meticulously organized bookshelves, and countryside estates. The sumptuous prose takes its time to describe the world without ever lingering too long. The audiobook narrators use their rich, tremulous British accents to make the characters feel real.

The second third is just plot. It’s a decent plot about neglect, loneliness, grief, and insanity, but I missed the feeling of being swept off my feet.

I thought I would end up disliking the book, but the final third captivated me again with its emotional denouement. A few readers may predict how things out, but most will be surprised and satisfied. 6 out of 8 copies of Jane Eyre.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:31 pm Currently Reading:

Agency (Book 2 of the Jackpot Series)

Finished:

Spinning Silver - Naomi Novik
Leviathan Falls (Book 10 of the Expanse) - James SA Corey
Invisible Sun -(Book 6 of Merchant Princes) Charles Stross
The Peripheral (Book 1 of the Jackpot series)- William Gibson
Eye of Cat - Roger Zelazny
Temeraire Series books 1-5:
His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik
Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
Black Powder War - Naomi Novik
Empire of Ivory - Naomi Novik
Victory of Eagles - Naomi Novik

Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir
Updated - finished Project Hail Mary over the weekend and it was fantastic. All the attention to Hard Science, with Weir's trademark senses of wonder and humor. Loved it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:16 pm I loved Lucifer's Hammer when it came out, it turned me into a Pournelle/Niven fanboy. In general, near-future books lose their impact when the time comes and goes. While I did find it a plausible account on how such an event would drive civilization into the crapper, it was more recently revisited in Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
I haven't re-read it in awhile, but there are a LOT of things I remember from that book.

"Hot Fudge Sundae lands on a Tuesday"

The Surfers (kind of ripped off in Escape from LA)

The benefits of Range Rovers (rare in the US in the 70's)

The Way things work (I even bought a physical copy early in the pandemic...)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:49 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:16 pm I loved Lucifer's Hammer when it came out, it turned me into a Pournelle/Niven fanboy. In general, near-future books lose their impact when the time comes and goes. While I did find it a plausible account on how such an event would drive civilization into the crapper, it was more recently revisited in Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
I haven't re-read it in awhile, but there are a LOT of things I remember from that book.

Lucifer's Hammer - 1977
Escape from LA - 1996

Bear in mind the main character worked for JPL and certainly could have afforded something exotic (at the time) such as a Range Rover.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:50 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:49 pm

Lucifer's Hammer - 1977
Escape from LA - 1996

Bear in mind the main character worked for JPL and certainly could have afforded something exotic (at the time) such as a Range Rover.
Hence Ripped off "in", not from ;)

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, ok. Reading comprehension failed today.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Dreamt Land: Chasing Water and Dust Across California by Mark Arax.

This is the second book I have read by Arax, the first being The King of California. Arax was born and raised in Fresno, California. He covered the valley for the LA Times for many years and now he writes about California, the San Joaquin Valley and the good and bad of agriculture in the valley. This book is basically a history of the way water has been used and abused in California. How rivers have been stolen by cities and by farmers. He condemns many of the practices of modern corporate farming while not really excusing the smaller guys for doing some of the same things.

The history of farming and water in California is one of expansion beyond all logical boundaries. Plant in soil so poor you can't get water for it and can't really make a profit from it, demand and plan your way to more water and then expand your plantings in to even worse land. Pump out so much ground water that the land sinks while all the while expanding your need for water.

I found this book interesting as it is all about where I live. I recognize so many names and places in the book that it is easy to relate to his story. Arax writes in a style that swings from fact bringer to first hand story teller. Some of the most interesting items in the book are the personal stories of both small 3rd or 4th generation farmers and the stories of corporate monsters who did what they wanted for as long as they could. About Beverly Hills "farmers" and major insurance companies who have tried to make their fortunes (and some have succeeded) in farming. And also stories of those who failed.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Abbot's Gibbet by Michael Jenks

This is apparently book 5 of 30+ in A Knights Templar Mystery series. I think I bought this at a library used book sale after having read some other book based in the middle ages. The book itself, while an easy read, was just so so. The author really does nothing to bring his characters to life, so maybe being the 5th book in a series he felt he didn't need to. He also doesn't really describe the time and place very much. As for the mystery itself it involves a murder in a town having it's annual trade fair to raise money for the local Abbey.

I find it hard to recommend this book because of how shallow the characters are and how little description the author gives of the town and it's times, but as 30+ books were written in this series they must have appealed to someone.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished two good ones:

Geek Love - Katherine Dunn

I had this one recommended to me by a friend who knew my love of all things carnival and freak show. Published way back in 1989, I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before. Told from the perspective of an albino hunchback named Oly, she tells the story of her carnival family and fellow "freak" siblings who were specifically engineered by their parents to have defects in order to work for the show.

While the idea of the freak show is extremely passe these days, the characters in this novel are both proud and sympathetic, tragic and triumphant. On top of that, the book is just beautifully written, with turns of phrase that really captured my attention.

Unfortunately Katherine Dunn died in 2016, leaving behind only three novels and one that will be published this fall posthumously.

Chain Saw Confidential - Gunnar Hansen

I'm a huge fan of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and in this book Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface) corrects many of the myths and legends surrounding the making of the film. Gunnar was far from the maniac he portrayed on screen - he was an extremely intelligent and well-read guy who even taught literature at one point. Gunnar himself narrated the audiobook, which was nice to hear since he sadly passed away in 2015.

The book is filled with personal anecdotes about his time on set, his thought processes in playing one of horror's most famous killers, and a lot of reflection on both the criticism and the praise the film has received over the last nearly 50 (!) years. Even a TCM diehard like myself learned a lot from his recollections. Highly recommended for horror fans.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Nerve by Dick Francis

Yea, I bought several Dick Francis paperbacks at a library sale years ago and I am still going thru them. I read this while waiting for the third book in Abercrombie's new series to drop, as the paperback version is supposed to come out Friday.

Anyway, this was an interesting read. No murders, which in my experience is unusual for a Dick Francis novel. The plot revolves around a steeplechase jockey early in his career and his first break into the big time. Then things hit the fan and the mystery ensues. The main character is very good, but the story kind of breaks down near the end. This was a very easy read and despite the plotting at the end I enjoyed it.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Cormac McCarthy - Outer Dark: a uplifting and heartwarming story about an impoverished backwoods Appalachian young adult brother and sister who have a baby together and the brother leaves it in the woods to die without sister knowing of it. a traveling tinker retrieves it. sister wants baby back and leaves to search for it, then brother goes off in search of sister. all kinds of wonderful and joyous miracles proceed to happen
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I like McCarthy, but sometimes I get tired of his pie-eyed optimism.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:31 pm
Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir
Updated - finished Project Hail Mary over the weekend and it was fantastic. All the attention to Hard Science, with Weir's trademark senses of wonder and humor. Loved it.
Just finished this today, and the ending was extremely satisfying, which is a rarity. So many times authors come up with a great premise and just don't know how to finish it. In my mind's eye, Grace appeared just like Matt Damon's Watney, they could have been the same character - and that's a good thing. 8/8 Tau Cetis.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

If you want another good space thriller, check out The Apollo Murders by Chris Hadfield. It's a great what-if scenario, of an Apollo 18 mission by a retired astronaut. It's felt quite realistic, especially when reading alongside watching From the Earth to the Moon.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (audiobook): When I was a teenage King fan, I skipped this book because I heard it wasn’t good. I watched the 1989 film adaptation and didn’t like it, which confirmed in my mind that I was right to skip the book.

Lately, though, I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the book, so I gave it a try. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Michael C. Hall of Dexter fame. He’s great at portraying all the characters, especially the kindly old neighbor Jud Crandall. The writing is tighter than King’s usual prose, with no rambling, excessive description, or “red herring” subplots.

Like some of King’s other novels, this reads more like a family drama with occasional horror elements. In fact, for the first half, those two aspects don’t integrate well. The family drama is wonderful at depicting domestic life and the grieving process, while the horror stuff feels tacked-on. But in the second half, the drama and horror readily meld and explode.

I can understand why King considers this book his scariest story. The main antagonist of the story isn’t supernatural horror, but the banal horror of grief, which all people experience, which does not kill you but can slowly consume you, and from which no one can save you. I’m glad I didn’t read this book in my teenage years, because I probably would not have appreciated this.

King’s depiction of the mourning process stunned me, and I can understand why some may find it therapeutic. In his foreword, King mentions that the book is inspired by real-life events. But he was still in his 30s when he reluctantly submitted this book for publication. Had he experienced such profound grief by then, so that he could so convincingly recount it? Or is he just that good a writer?

After finishing the book, I watched the 2019 film adaptation. While I like it more than the 1989 version, and it has some interesting deviations from the book, it lacks the book’s introspection. 6 of out 8 ayuhs.
mindloss

Post by mindloss »

Finished reading The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, and I found it enjoyable, though I think I may have liked it more had I read it maybe ten years ago. In it, he is young, adventurous, hopeful, optimistic, and (perhaps a bit heavy-handedly for my current tastes) Buddhistically spiritual. A recounting of his experiences hitchhiking, trainhopping, and hiking, exploring, drinking with his spiritually-minded poet pals.

Just started reading Big Sur, which was written way later in his life. Only a few chapters in, but I find it (unfortunately?) a bit more compelling and relatable. He's nearly forty years old, and still an outdoor-sleeping, adventuring guy. But anymore it seems less like a wiley vagabond lifestyle, and more like a jaded continuation of habit, and what else is there to do but kill time and keep existing in this way. Or maybe I only view it that way because I sort of feel similarly.

As he describes his initial experiences making his way to a cabin in the forest in California, he continues to allude to an event that will occur in a few weeks' time, in which he truly loses his mind in the solitude of the woods. It creates an eerie, ominous tone to the narrative, and also makes me wonder whether I've gone as crazy as I can go, or whether I've only scratched the surface of what's to come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Philip K. Dick - Gather Yourselves Together : appears to be one of the first (surviving) novel drafts PKD ever wrote (if not the first - Voices from the Street is debatable) and wasn't published until 12 years after his death. one of his few non-SF stories - it is about three employees left behind at an American steel plant in 1949 China to await representatives of the CCP to take ownership of the grounds. _badly_ in need of editing, but other than being excessively wordy has the seeds of being an interesting story.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Once Upon a Time in Russia (audio book) by Ben Mezrich

About Russian oligarchs from the Yeltsin era through some of the Putin years. It's focused on Boris Berezovski, one of the older oligarchs who eventually broke with Putin and fled Russia, and Roman Abramovich, who was something of Berezovski's protege but who made nice with Putin and made tons of money.

I was looking for a book like this to educate myself more on the Russian oligarchs. It's definitely pretty interesting and the book is pretty good. At the same time this book felt a bit like a poor man's Michael Lewis. It's kind of a similar style to Lewis's books (focused on semi-firsthand accounts of various key individuals) but I didn't think the writing was that good, and at times it was clearly drawn from extrapolations rather than firsthand interviews (for example, there are several firsthand accounts from people of their own deaths). So it was good, but not totally amazing.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hipolito wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:29 pm I watched the 1989 film adaptation and didn’t like it, which confirmed in my mind that I was right to skip the book.
But...it had Hermann Munster!

I read the book when it first came out -- I think it was one of the first Stephen King books I read. I liked it well enough -- to this day, every time I come across a "deadfall" in the forest, I think of this book.
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:00 pm
Hipolito wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:29 pm I watched the 1989 film adaptation and didn’t like it, which confirmed in my mind that I was right to skip the book.
But...it had Hermann Munster!
An admittedly excellent casting choice. But it also had Tasha Yar.

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:00 pmI read the book when it first came out -- I think it was one of the first Stephen King books I read. I liked it well enough -- to this day, every time I come across a "deadfall" in the forest, I think of this book.
"Deadfall" is one of those words I've seen only in Stephen King books and nowhere else. He makes me refer to a dictionary pretty often. Also, he likes to say that a door "communicates" between one place and another.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hipolito wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:54 pm "Deadfall" is one of those words I've seen only in Stephen King books and nowhere else. He makes me refer to a dictionary pretty often. Also, he likes to say that a door "communicates" between one place and another.
Yet when I first encountered it in this book, I could envision exactly what he meant -- I can't tell you if that was the first time I encountered the term, but ever since that is what it is.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

I am in the process of bouncing off of Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem for the third time.

You've probably heard of it, since it won a Hugo and the trilogy has been discussed as a future Netflix mega-series.

I'm halfway through the first book (and thus still in the present-day Earth part, with no aliens yet apparent), and I just can't get a handle on why people love it.

The problems are the same ones I have with Isaac Asimov. None of the characters stand out as individuals. Everyone is a scientist who talks about science or a student who learns about science or (occasionally) an Establishment villain who threatens to thwart or misuse science. It's always very clear which characters are mouthpieces for the author because they speak in short essays.

The virtual reality business that we're apparently supposed to find so interesting is really just another way of putting essays into stock figures' mouths. It's hard to imagine why anyone would actually want to play this MMORPG.

Maybe I'm being a lazy reader. This time I'm committed to finishing the book, but I won't go to volume two unless it become an actual novel rather than a dramatized thought-experiment.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

House of Chains by Steven Erikson

This is the fourth book in the "A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" series.

This book ties into a story began in book 2. I really enjoyed this book even though Erikson loves to introduce so many new characters with each book that you spend a lot of time trying to remember what character has done what. The books make me think of a RPG game where you get to play the different characters and do their quests. Not to say that it isn't well written, just that it is crowded with people and plot.

This book went a little lighter on the gods and warrens story line, or maybe I am just settling into those parts easier now. Some of the gods have become very interesting characters, and I have become less concerned with trying to remember all the warren info and lore he likes to give. This book went over 1,000 pages, but I read it two weeks or so, which is quick for me.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:08 pm I am in the process of bouncing off of Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem for the third time.

You've probably heard of it, since it won a Hugo and the trilogy has been discussed as a future Netflix mega-series.

I'm halfway through the first book (and thus still in the present-day Earth part, with no aliens yet apparent), and I just can't get a handle on why people love it.

The problems are the same ones I have with Isaac Asimov. None of the characters stand out as individuals. Everyone is a scientist who talks about science or a student who learns about science or (occasionally) an Establishment villain who threatens to thwart or misuse science. It's always very clear which characters are mouthpieces for the author because they speak in short essays.

The virtual reality business that we're apparently supposed to find so interesting is really just another way of putting essays into stock figures' mouths. It's hard to imagine why anyone would actually want to play this MMORPG.

Maybe I'm being a lazy reader. This time I'm committed to finishing the book, but I won't go to volume two unless it become an actual novel rather than a dramatized thought-experiment.
I've been toying with the idea of reading this based on its popularity, but I read a review and it put me off. Now I'm definitely out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:53 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:08 pm I am in the process of bouncing off of Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem for the third time.

I've been toying with the idea of reading this based on its popularity, but I read a review and it put me off. Now I'm definitely out.
the dialog and characterization in these books pretty much suck and the comparison to 1950's Asimov is appropriate in more than a few ways. i've read book 1 (slowly, in 2017) and 2 (even slower, in 2019) and i'm kinda dreading reading the final installment (which looks like the biggest of them all). there are a few fun ideas but it's not much worth the sloggy black-hole level of writing murk surrounding them
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The Reversal by Michael Connelly

This is the third book in the Lincoln Lawyer series. Mickey Haller gets hired by the LADA's office to handle the retrial of a 24 year old murder case. Along with his ex-wife prosecutor and Det. Harry Bosch, Haller digs into the case and works to put the killer back in jail. This one surprised me a bit as the ending isn't what I expected after having read the first two books in the series. Nice to know Connelly can end things a little differently.

Not a great book but an easy read and I find the legal discussions in the books to be interesting.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Finished Duma Key by Stephen King. I started this book years ago (as in pre-twins), but I stopped travelling (airplanes were where I did most of reading of physical books) and never got back to this. I made it a little over 100 pages in the first time, but didn't remember too much about it other than the protagonist, Edgar Freemantle, owned a construction business in Minnesota until he lost an arm in an accident and moved to Duma Key in Florida as part of his rehab. While in Duma he discovers a previously unknown knack for art. The weird part is that his missing arm starts tingling, he goes into a bit of an art creation stupor, and when he's finished his latest work he's completely famished. His works get shown to the owners of a local art gallery, and he becomes a bit of a sensation - his "outsider art" is haunting and beautiful. But is it something more?

Of course it's something more. It's Stephen King.

I'm normally not one to mind King's tendency to ramble on a bit, but the beginning of this novel really could have used a good trimming. While it gets moving nicely toward the end, this book could have been cut in half and been much tighter and more entertaining. The ending is fine (probably depending for your tolerance for King-type horror), but I have a hart time recommending this for anyone but King completists, particularly when he seems to be in a bit of a creative resurgence these days.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Infidel by Pornsak Pichetshote and Aaron Campbell (paperback): Not to be confused with the 1983 Infocom game, this acclaimed graphic novel is about a young American Muslim woman and Star Wars fan who has nightmares about racist demons. It’s a unique, fast-paced horror story with art that’s hella good and gory.

I’m not sure what the message is, though. Maybe it’s that prejudice is like a demon the way it possesses people. And this demon is so powerful, one’s only hope is to have faith in people. There’s a subplot about an occultist, and I’m not sure whether it connects to the main plot or is just a red herring. I didn’t like the book as much as the game it’s not based on, though I think it would make a good movie. (A movie deal did happen, but I don’t know if anything will come of it.)

The book includes the proposal that the creative team pitched to the publisher, which is pretty cool. It’s interesting how the proposal’s vision evolved into the final product. 5 out of 8 sarlacc pit bundt cakes.