Planet Crafter: Now with Full Release

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Planet Crafter: Now with Full Release

Post by Lordnine »

This caught my eye a couple of days ago on Steam and I have to say I am quite impressed. It’s basically an early access version of their upcoming full game except its completely free and already more feature complete than many early access games ever get to.

You start out stranded on a mars like planet with almost no direction aside from build a backpack and a couple tools and start picking up resources off the surface of the planet. Before long you will be crafting wind generators, planet drills and be well on your way to terraforming the planet.

What really has kept my attention is that your actions effect the planet. You start out with a completely desolate world and as you start to raise the temperature and create an atmosphere you start to see things like the sky change color. Eventually crops start to grow and even more cool things that I don’t want to ruin.

The game also features exploration as a large chunk of the game. Early on finding some of the rarer resources means searching for spaceship wrecks and salvaging the things you find inside. Along with resources you can occasionally find items that increase your drill or movement speed.

Not everything is perfect. The game currently doesn’t require logic when it comes to placing structures. Solar panels function just as well facing a cliff face as they do on a wide-open field. Distance also doesn’t matter as all built structures will be powered on the planet regardless of location. There is also some oddness with attaching buildings at times.

Still, despite the few issues, I’ve been having a ton of fun with this one and it’s hard to beat the price.

Full game is out now.

Last edited by Lordnine on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lordnine

Re: Planet Crafter: Prologue

Post by Lordnine »

Home sweet home.

It has taken me quite a while to get to this point but I can currently grow my own food and even have the ability to launch rockets.

The far side of my base is far less pretty but also far more useful. Here is my rain collector and my drill for auto harvesting ores.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm intrigued. I played for a bit less than an hour so not QUITE as far as you are. Building T2 drills and uhhh oxygen thingies. Close to 5k terraforming. I think it's a little simple so far, but definitely interested in seeing where it goes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I don't know that I would say it ever becomes super complex but I enjoy it in the same way that I enjoy playing something like Stardew Valley. My latest accomplishment is building a science lab so I am working towards a new set of recipes. Also, all the ice on the planet is now melted which opened up some new areas to explore.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It sounds interesting and I've wishlisted it. Thanks for the heads up.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That sounds right up my alley. I find it interesting that there's a new subgenre of builders now in first-person.

Although I hope there's a tutorial. I tried out Subnautica recently, but upon starting the game, I was completely and utterly lost on what needed to be done. The game just throws you in without any guidance of any sort.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 am That sounds right up my alley. I find it interesting that there's a new subgenre of builders now in first-person.

Although I hope there's a tutorial. I tried out Subnautica recently, but upon starting the game, I was completely and utterly lost on what needed to be done. The game just throws you in without any guidance of any sort.
Very little hand holding in this one. Less than Subnautica at this point. It's created by a team of 2. It's pretty straightforward compared to most survival games.

I hit the end of the prologue. I am guessing Lordnine is using the beta branch to go past the prologue limit? It stopped me at 200kTi just as things were getting more interesting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I like the idea but I don't tend to play 1st or 3rd person controlled game like this. I just don't have the coordination. Sucks to be me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:30 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 am That sounds right up my alley. I find it interesting that there's a new subgenre of builders now in first-person.

Very little hand holding in this one. Less than Subnautica at this point. It's created by a team of 2. It's pretty straightforward compared to most survival games.

Well, that's not too reassuring. I still think it would be easier though, because with Subnautica there are so many directions to go in whereas in this, you have a surface. I really wish games like these would allow you to set goals, then point out the resources you need for those goals. I might try Subnautica again later, but I was put off by the fact the game didn't even properly set you up in its beginning stages. You have a PDA with a voice, so how hard could it be to have a procedural tutorial? I've seen games that give you hints on what to do if it sees you're struggling, and I've also seen games give you first-time hints for anything new you might need to do then leave you alone.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, I switched to the beta branch really fast (also free but you need to opt into it, your save carries over) as the items you have access to in the pure prologue are quite limited.

I should point out that this game is nowhere near as complex as Subnautica, at least not yet. I can see them getting there someday with the full game release but this is a much more straightforward and relaxing experience. While it doesn’t have a tutorial, I really don’t think it’s needed here.

My exciting update on progress is that I am working hard on getting algae, woo! :lol:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I've reached the end of the content in the game. Steam says 10 hours to see it all.

My fully decked out plant room. Eggplant seeds are one of the most valuable and rare resources in the game. As soon as you can you should start to grow them.

My end game base.

The final recipe in the game.
Spoiler:

It is a rocket to seed the planet with life from orbit.

Spoiler about the midpoint of the game that I just think is cool.
Spoiler:

As you terraform you start to create lakes. This is the starting location. The pod you start in is under about 6 feet of water in this image. I had to move my original base because it became flooded. :lol:
Lordnine

Re: Planet Crafter: Now with Full Release

Post by Lordnine »

The Planet Crafter is out of early access today! A lot has changed since the prologue so if the game appeals to you now is the time to check it out.

Last edited by Lordnine on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It may be time to reinstall it soon, then (while waiting for the next Satisfactory update!)

My base last time was somewhere behind and to the right of where you're at in that last shot, between the starting position and another crashed ship, just where that basin levels out after rising up. Luckily, I found out early what to expect, so I picked a spot that wouldn't be affected.

For those who want the mild spoiler (it's in the trailer) that may keep your base from being destroyed, or at least rendered useless:
Spoiler:
As you terraform, you'll eventually get water. The low-lying areas, like the starting pod, will be underwater. Build on high ground if you don't want to be playing Subnautica without SCUBA gear.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I wasn't thrilled with the demo, but maybe I'll enjoy the full game. I'd be playing it solo, any problems with that?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Peace, man! I ain't got no problem!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:36 pm I wasn't thrilled with the demo, but maybe I'll enjoy the full game. I'd be playing it solo, any problems with that?
Even though they added multiplayer this still seems like a singleplayer game at heart to me. I definitely think of it as a Stardew Valley type experience. A peaceful and relaxing experience to zone out with while your mind is frayed from a long day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And great for listening to music.

In a vague attempt to keep with the theme, I mostly listened to a combined soundtrack from the Guardians of the Galaxy films.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I've made it back to roughly where I ended when this was still in beta. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that not only is the original tech tree longer and more fleshed out but there is now a whole 2nd tech tree to work through!

Enlarge Image

I love exploring in this game. Just recently I discovered a ladder hatch buried in the sand along a path I had used numerous times before. Going down the ladder I discovered a small living compartment of someone else who had crashed on the planet (now deceased). Just fun to find a treasure trove of resources randomly even after thinking you've cleared an area.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Progress is going well. I've located a stargate! Or something...

I actually found this earlier in the game but I just went back to the area and it is now overgrown with plants. The game does a pretty good job getting you to return to previously visited areas as hidden paths open up as the terraforming process continues. You also need to revisit wrecks to find more advanced materials once you unlock the tech to harvest it.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I have a breathable atmosphere now and I've moved towards automation. I just reworked my storage system to benefit from my autocrafter and new drone system.

I just got these storages and they are amazing. 8x10 storage spaces in each.

Also, without spoiling too much I found some ruins that seem very interesting.
Spoiler:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've made it past where I did in the very early days. I am still well behind LordNine. My world is starting to look green and there may be life eventually. I do kind of feel like I have explored pretty much everything and progress is really slow. I hope I am missing something. I've launched 3-4 of each type of rocket but progress has slowed to a crawl. I am tempted to just leave it running while I am working today since death is not really a penalty, starving is fine, but it kind of feels like cheating.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m not sure where you are but I’m going to assume you have liquid water. If so, make getting 2-3 level 2 plankton generators a priority. They are one of the most efficient devices and you are going to need a ton of the kelp to make fertilizer very soon.

Early on, iridium is one of the hardest resources to find and you need a lot to make heaters. The large falling sand cave system near the starting area is the initial best source but once it runs out there is an even better source in the valley far to the north. You want to have at least 4 of the largest heaters you can make running at all times.

As the planet heats up the ice in the cave systems around the starting landing site melt. Make sure to go through those areas and pick up all the wonderful goodies you can find. Much later in the game additional ice will melt in these caves and reveal even more things.

Don’t be afraid to deconstruct old machinery to repurpose the materials. Each new generation is hugely more efficient than the last and this can save you a lot of energy and resources.

Explore all wrecks! The Microchips they contain provide the recipes for things like upgrading your oxygen tank and jetpack.

Once you feel ready, try to find the open plateau behind the wall in the starting landing site. See if you can find an underground cave…
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm past most of what you posted. Basically waiting on insects. I did drop a couple more flower spreader 2.0s with a machine enhancer with 500% oxygen. I've found a couple ladders going underground but nothing I would call a cave. I'm mostly frustrated that I haven't gotten some of the more interesting chips. I've heard finding chips is random and the order you get them is also semi-random. I needs more chips!

I have basically endless iridium and a decent collection of osmium and a handful of the next level stuff that I have no use for so far. I can probably make a couple more algae machines (assuming that's what you mean since I don't think I can do plankton and that seems to be more about fish eggs)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So, I suspect you are missing a shipwreck or two based on that. I’m actually only two terraforming levels ahead of you but I have more microchips than I can use. I just finished fish.

Have you explored the big wreck in the volcanic area?

Spoiler contains map.
Spoiler:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My base is starting to get unwieldy. I'm thinking about completely redesigning it now that I have access to 3x3 living spaces and am spending a lot more time doing genetics crafting instead of terraforming.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm pretty sure that's right where I had my base in the EA.

So, how is the feel of the game compared to early access? I played almost a year ago, and it felt like there were a few too many rough edges and missing features to really spend much time with. I know it's improved, but how's it feel to play these days?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think it feels good but that said, if you weren’t sold on Early Access, I’m not sure this will win you over. It’s mostly the same experience but with more of everything. More terraforming levels, more upgrades, (some) story has been added, and the map is at least twice the size that it was in EA. About halfway through (where I am) you also transition from making the planet livable to adding specific lifeforms to the planet. It’s still a similar type of experience but does feel different since you get to create specific types of lifeforms.

Probably the biggest change in feel is that you can get a jetpack pretty early on which greatly speeds up your ability to traverse the terrain. You also get an even faster mode of transit where I am now but I won’t spoil that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 pm I think it feels good but that said, if you weren’t sold on Early Access, I’m not sure this will win you over. It’s mostly the same experience but with more of everything. More terraforming levels, more upgrades, (some) story has been added, and the map is at least twice the size that it was in EA. About halfway through (where I am) you also transition from making the planet livable to adding specific lifeforms to the planet. It’s still a similar type of experience but does feel different since you get to create specific types of lifeforms.

Probably the biggest change in feel is that you can get a jetpack pretty early on which greatly speeds up your ability to traverse the terrain. You also get an even faster mode of transit where I am now but I won’t spoil that.
Nah, that sounds like what I was hoping for. It really appealed, but there were too many times where I reached a spot where I wanted to do something and could tell that there was a blank spot where a future feature was meant to fit. If they've filled it out, that's enough to make me want to give it a go.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

OK, I was not expecting instanced content to be a part of endgame content...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:27 am OK, I was not expecting instanced content to be a part of endgame content...
Tip. When you pull up the map in that instanced content don't click Close Portal thinking it's a shortcut to leave. It dumps you out and you leave all the loot behind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I didnt even think to use the map in the instance. I assumed it wouldn't work. In general, I feel the map upgrades are mostly useless.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the game with the normal ending. Trying to decide how interested I am in chasing the other endings to 100% the game.

I did end up letting the game run for about 3 hours to grind out the last few trillion terraforming points at around 180 million per second.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You really jumped ahead of me there. I'm still enjoying optimizing everything. Tier 2 drones and tier 3 extractors really vialtized the game for me. I now have about 20 autonomous drones flying around the planet collecting resources and feeding about 10 different types of autocrafters. At this point almost everything I need is being constructed without my input. I am just choosing where to build tree spreaders, frog farms, and butterfly hatcheries. It's very relaxing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:ninja:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In the end, I only had superalloy being mined and autocrafted. I probably should have also set up bioplastic nuggets as that was really the only other thing that was somewhat bothersome when I needed it.

I really enjoyed the game and it seems somewhat unique as a survivalcraft game with no threats but thirst and hunger, which are barely threats as death has minimal consequences, and support for automation and logistics but really minimal need for it. I guess cozy is the word.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Any suggestions/tips on bases? More specifically, what should I plan on taking a lot of space? I like to have a rough idea of what I'm going for, and I've been bitten in a few games where something that should have been small ended up being massive, and forced a complete base redesign.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Other than a ton of storage, not much. Most of the stuff that takes up space goes outside and is easy to move. You get all mats back when you deconstruct.

It’s a much later problem but tree spreaders can F off and should go far away. They grow such a dense forest (if you build many of them, which you should) it can be hard to find your base entrance.

Aquariums and tree farms also take a lot of space. You can make a satellite base for them. They don’t require active management except to fetch bark, which drones can do.

Inside there are a few crafting stations but they are mostly small and easy to move around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am In the end, I only had superalloy being mined and autocrafted. I probably should have also set up bioplastic nuggets as that was really the only other thing that was somewhat bothersome when I needed it.
Really? I have two tier 3 sulfur extractors running right now and it barely keeps up with demand. So much late game tech requires fertilizer that I don’t know how you can keep up with it without it.

One thing I’ve seen other people do that I wish I had done was build everything on the iron girder platforms to ensure that small rocks and things don’t get in the way of expansion. This hasn’t been too much of a problem but every once in a while I’ll try to plop down a large structure and a tiny bolder will get in the way.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 pm Really? I have two tier 3 sulfur extractors running right now and it barely keeps up with demand. So much late game tech requires fertilizer that I don’t know how you can keep up with it without it.
It sounds like you are building much bigger than I did. I set up 8-10 of each type of rocket and had like 5-7 of each top tier machine with a T2 optimizer full of appropriate fuses for each set of machines. In the end, oxygen was around 60% of my terraforming points and most of that was from T3 tree spreaders with 1200% seeds and 1500% optimization.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

That explains why you had to go idle. It also looks like you have an extra ~15 hours played on me. My numbers are all ticking up at a really fast rate to the point where I am kind of sad I will hit the end of the tech tree soon.