Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

2022 Laptop Thread

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Isgrimnur

2022 Laptop Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

cnet
Easy fix: Betters webcams and mics
What you can look forward to from computers in 2022 is more recycled material in laptop packaging and even power adapters, even if that's tougher to do with the laptop body itself.
Two big forces are helping laptops and other computers move away from being so dominated by Intel chips. One is that wide adoption of Chromebooks, especially from students engaged in some level of remote learning, is opening the door to more ARM-based laptops, which were previously nonstarters in the Windows world.

Second, Apple's aggressive timeline for shifting the entire Mac lineup from Intel to its own M-series chips has shown that laptops that skip Intel or AMD chips don't have to skimp on performance. In fact, the latest M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBooks are miles faster than most of the Intel models they replace. Google is said to be prepping its own chip, specifically for Chromebooks, as well.
Black Lives Matter

10% real fruit juice, motherfuckers!!
jztemple2

Re: 2022 Laptop Thread

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm going to start watching this thread because the screen of our almost six year old laptop has got a "tear" on it, a half inch high and four inches long. We've worked around the issue but I think it might be time to replace it. Shame, it's got a decent processor and memory and I replaced the original HDD with an SSD about three years ago.