Replacing Motherboard/CPU....

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Replacing Motherboard/CPU....

Post by Octavious »

Sometime this year I plan on upgrading my motherboard/CPU. Pretty much everything else can stay. Since it's an old chipset just updating the CPU won't work. My question is since it's a prebuilt am I screwed on the windows install? Do I need to reinstall? Should I just buy a license for the first time in my lifetime? I mean hell I don't even remember the last time I installed Windows. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Re: Replacing Motherboard/CPU....

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:01 pm it's a prebuilt
Model number / specs?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have an Ibuypower with Windows 10, I don't think I have an actual license anywhere, but will have to double check. It's I7 7700 so there's really no practical way to update the CPU without replacing the motherboard as well. There just isn't anything much faster that would be compatible. I have somehow gotten a 3070 and now instead of my video card being a bottleneck it's now my CPU. Life is hard.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:09 pm I have an Ibuypower with Windows 10, I don't think I have an actual license anywhere, but will have to double check.
FWIW, you can easily display your Windows 10 OEM Product Key by simply entering the following in a Command Prompt:

Code: Select all

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
This will display your Windows Product Key, which you can then you copy & paste into a text file as a back-up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ah nice. I have gotten so lazy that I don't know how to manage windows anymore. :)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Keep in mind its usually the trifecta of mobo/cpu/ram.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

It is possible that you need a new Windows license since OEM license is tied to the PC hardware. If you replace CPU+MB, it'll probably detect you have a different PC and need a new license.

Only retail license can be transfered.

Another thing about the key is that if you link Windows 10 to your Microsoft account, the key will be stored in your account. You don't need to reenter the key if you reinstall, you just need to login using your Microsoft account, but this only work if the hardware doesn't change if you have OEM license.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to get a Windows 11 license. It's going to be a bit before I end up doing the upgrade. Essentially I bought my daughter a new computer for her BD and will be swapping my 1070ti with the 3070 as she pretty much plays Minecraft and other much less intensive games. She uses it more for her insane drawing skills and chatting with her friends. So win win..

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I checked and I have a digital license attached to my Microsoft account. So yay...

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This is exactly what I have. From what I can see there's really nothing worth upgrading to without just getting a new motherboard.

MB
ASUS H110M-PLUS

CPU
I7 7700

Video Card (Until the new one)
1070TI
Last edited by Octavious on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote:MB
ASUS H110M-PLUS
Form Factor: Micro ATX

Any motherboard you consider that matches Micro ATX should be fine.

If you have the case details, we can look and see if they support bigger ones.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd just stick with the micro unless there's a downside. I'm only going to slap ram and the video card in so I shouldn't need anything else.

Example of what I would do...
I5-11600K 250.00
+
MSI MAG B560M 179.99 (This was just an example. I'm going to look deeper later when I have money)
+
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Air Coolor 43.99
+
DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance 75

Would be like 550 bucks. Not bad. The power supply is a EVGA 700W Bronze that I recently replaced.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I ended up cancelling the order for the computer for now. When I really thought about it 1,800 for what I was getting just seems nuts. The same thing was like 1300 in the beginning of last year. Meh...

This is what I was going to get.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-ga ... Id=6487502

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm in a similar situation. Both my CPU and Processor are so old that I'd have to upgrade everything and Covid hasn't made it any easier. The newest thing in my PC right now is the video card, everything else is causing a bottleneck.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:11 am I ended up cancelling the order for the computer for now. When I really thought about it 1,800 for what I was getting just seems nuts. The same thing was like 1300 in the beginning of last year. Meh...

This is what I was going to get.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-ga ... Id=6487502
well i don't think you'll see the prices fall much (unless a sale) i think this is the new normal even when supply chains are fixed.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I'm a bit worried about how my taxes will shake out as the way they did the child tax credit may screw me. And I have to finish a mortgage refinance that I never get time to do. I'll probably look again next month and hope it doesn't go up even more. :P They do 12 months financing, but honestly I'm sick of having a balance at Best Buy. I just want to pay things off.