Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:14 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:13 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:51 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:15 pm Unagi Picks for week 7:
Packers at Commanders
I'm very happy to miss that one! :horse: :D
Now you see why I said the Green Bay/Tennessee matchup isn't a good one.
But if Tenn. beats GB, it will be a great game to watch.
:lol:
But seriously.
The only game on TV, with AR seemingly vulnerable this year; I bet just about every Detroit, Minn., and Chicago fan will tune into that game. There is blood in the water.
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by Unagi »

I suppose I should say ‘log into that game’
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Something weird is going on in Seattle.

Well obviously the Chargers have some injuries, but so do the Seahawks. Metcalf went out. But the rookie running back Kenneth Walker II, now known as K-9, went for 168 yards, and is matching records that were set by legendary Seahawk Kurt Warner, so thats massive. Seattle is now leading their division, which is lackluster obviously, being just above 500. next week is the Giants. We will find out for sure if the Hawks have got their stuff sorted out.

Meanwhile, in yesterdays game, 3 defensive pass interference calls. Not terribly unusual. But also, 3 offensive pass interference calls. Most I have ever seen in one game. Did a memo go out to the ref staff before the game?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Let’s all just give the Bears a moment of silence for the game ahead.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Unagi wrote:Let’s all just give the Bears a moment of silence for the game ahead.
And also the Pats fans among us. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:04 pm Let’s all just give the Bears a moment of silence for the game ahead.
:pop:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:50 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:04 pm Let’s all just give the Bears a moment of silence for the game ahead.
:horse:
ftfy
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

"Where on the bingo card was Bears Blow Out"

Man, that was nice. I'm so still loving Justin Fields. It's been a million years in Chicago where anyone can actually feel good about the QB prospects, and I'm feeling REALLY good about Justin Fields.

So nice. So nice. And I don't expect them to cream Dallas (or win), but I'm also thinking they have a real shot there too. This team is certainly improving game after game.

But back to the Patriots.

36 years ago, I was 16 years old and watched Super Bowl XX (the absolutely coolest Super Bowl number that there ever will be, other than Super Bowl XXX :? ) where in which the Bears with QB Jim McMahon (NFL's Maverick), and the rest of the SuperBowl Shuffle Crew DESTROYED the Patriots 46-10.... in a contest between the Crème de la Crème! Since then... crap - any random chance where the Bears and Patriots played each other started to be dominated the other way around.

And of course, tonight was the night when Bill Belichick was poised to surpass the beloved... no, worshipped... Bear's coach George Halas's "Most wins by NFL coach" record. Very nice (for Chicago) for that not to be passed to Belichick by way of the Bears. (He will of course, pass it)

So Happy tonight for this team.

Fucking finally.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

full reveal:

1st Quarter:
10 - 0 : Is this for real? This was to be a blowout. Don't get excited, the Pats will find their rhythm.
2nd Quarter:
20 - 14: Yeah, I've been here a million times: here we go. Oh well - it was fun while it lasted. Congrats Pats. (may sound weird to a non-Bear/Detroit etc fan, and TBH - this was more a sentiment early 2nd quarter, vs late 2nd quarter :: i.e. it wasn't apparent yet that the Pats would never score again.)

2nd Half
33 - 14 : Pats never score again. You're kidding me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I will say this, Bill Belichick certainly admits when his team blew it, and I'm tempted to respect him from time to time - but I will have a great deal of trouble ever looking at him and the Patriots as anything but actual cheaters.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Vegas took a beating this week, I would think.

The moneyline bet on the Panthers and Patriots was a total bust.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Congrats, Unagi! Da Bears showed up tonight. Outside of an Eagles win or a Cowboys loss (preferably in the same game), not much makes me happier than seeing The Hoodie and the Pats get pummeled, and bonus points for doing it in prime time on MNF! :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:24 am Congrats, Unagi! Da Bears showed up tonight.
Thanks! Such fun!

Unagi Picks for week 7:

Saints at Cards -- WIN
Falcons at Bengals -- win
Lions at Cowboys -- win
Colts at Titans -- win
Packers at Commanders -- loss
Bucs at Panthers -- loss
Giants at Jags -- loss
Browns at Ravens -- win
Jets at Broncos -- WIN
Texans at Raiders -- win
Seahawks at Chargers -- loss
Chiefs at 49ers -- LOSS
Steelers at Dolphins -- win
Bears at Pats -- WIN
9-5
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:58 pm Another brutal week:

Saints at Cards Loss
Falcons at Bengals Win
Lions at Cowboys Win
Colts at Titans Win
Packers at Commanders Loss, but yay!
Bucs at Panthers Loss but yay!
Giants at Jags Win
Browns at Ravens Win
Jets at Broncos Loss but yay!
Texans at Raiders Win
Seahawks at Chargers Loss boo!
Chiefs at 49ers Win
Steelers at Dolphins Win
Bears at Pats Loss
8-6 Cumulative: 56-51
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

just for the record:
I missed that you and I had different picks on the Giant-Jags (sounds funny).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That game last night was something of a mild disaster for the Patriots season. Going in the Patriots had won two in a row, and while they were against less than solid opponents they were strong wins. Last night was a chance to have a winning record for the first time this season, get into a three game win streak, and put Belichick over Salas in terms of all time wins. ONLY - they got blown out by the freaking Bears at home, and their defense (the strongest part of the team this season) got torched by Justin Fields. And on top of that, Mac Jones returned, but after two three and outs and then an admittedly dumb pick (on which the Bears defender made a great play) was taken out in favor of Zappe.

So a big loss to a team that they were expected to beat, at home, and now they have a legit QB controversy on their hands. What a mess.

What I really don't understand is how they handled Jones. Yeah, he wasn't playing great for the most part (though he did seem to start hitting his stride on the third drive before the threw the pick). But if you don't have enough confidence in him to even let him finish the the first quarter...why are you putting him out there at all?
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:38 am That game last night was something of a mild disaster for the Patriots season. Going in the Patriots had won two in a row, and while they were against less than solid opponents they were strong wins. Last night was a chance to have a winning record for the first time this season, get into a three game win streak, and put Belichick over Salas in terms of all time wins. ONLY - they got blown out by the freaking Bears at home, and their defense (the strongest part of the team this season) got torched by Justin Fields. And on top of that, Mac Jones returned, but after two three and outs and then an admittedly dumb pick (on which the Bears defender made a great play) was taken out in favor of Zappe.

So a big loss to a team that they were expected to beat, at home, and now they have a legit QB controversy on their hands. What a mess.

What I really don't understand is how they handled Jones. Yeah, he wasn't playing great for the most part (though he did seem to start hitting his stride on the third drive before the threw the pick). But if you don't have enough confidence in him to even let him finish the the first quarter...why are you putting him out there at all?
Are you hitting on me? :wub:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:38 am What I really don't understand is how they handled Jones. Yeah, he wasn't playing great for the most part (though he did seem to start hitting his stride on the third drive before the threw the pick). But if you don't have enough confidence in him to even let him finish the the first quarter...why are you putting him out there at all?
I’m with you. I have to grudgingly admit respect for Belichek’s genius, but I don’t get what he’s doing with Jones and Zappe right now. I thought Jones was playing ok for his first game back. He was moving well in the pocket and avoiding the rush. He even stepped up and scrambled for some decent gains a couple of times. The pick was more of a great play by the Bears corner. Not a great throw, but not an awful one either.

So why give him the hook so quickly? In the post-game interview, he confirmed it wasn’t a medical decision and that his plan all along was to play both QBs. But you know what they always say . . . If you think you have two starters at QB, you really have none.

Not looking good for the Pats. Sad. [not really: :dance: ]
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:17 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:38 am What I really don't understand is how they handled Jones. Yeah, he wasn't playing great for the most part (though he did seem to start hitting his stride on the third drive before the threw the pick). But if you don't have enough confidence in him to even let him finish the the first quarter...why are you putting him out there at all?
I’m with you. I have to grudgingly admit respect for Belichek’s genius, but I don’t get what he’s doing with Jones and Zappe right now. I thought Jones was playing ok for his first game back. He was moving well in the pocket and avoiding the rush. He even stepped up and scrambled for some decent gains a couple of times. The pick was more of a great play by the Bears corner. Not a great throw, but not an awful one either.

So why give him the hook so quickly? In the post-game interview, he confirmed it wasn’t a medical decision and that his plan all along was to play both QBs. But you know what they always say . . . If you think you have two starters at QB, you really have none.

Not looking good for the Pats. Sad. [not really: :dance: ]
The announcers did say before Jones was pulled that Belichick had said that he planned to use both QBs during the game. So maybe it was at least partly planned. But man...so bizarre. Just feels like the adults aren't in charge in Foxboro.

Related - was Matt Patricia terrible during his first go round with New England? Everything I read about him these days makes him seem like a pompous windbag idiot, and doesn't make me feel good that he's in a prominent position with the Patriots.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:08 pm Related - was Matt Patricia terrible during his first go round with New England? Everything I read about him these days makes him seem like a pompous windbag idiot, and doesn't make me feel good that he's in a prominent position with the Patriots.
He was the worst thing to happen to the Lions since Matt Millen and literally resulted in setting the organization back 15 years, with Campbell/Holmes being analogous to what Mayhew/Schwartz had to do with organizational cleanup. He was yet another curse New England gifted to Detroit while Dan Quinn handed over so many assets. I'm glad he's not suddenly excellent after setting fire to the organization Quinn doused with gas. It's not even so bad that the Ford's are paying for his salary someplace that isn't here. It's just a bonus that the garbage is going to the place that it belongs.

In related news, the Lions are just as unwatchable as they were after Quinn took over and hired Patricia. I again tried to watch the first two games and couldn't get through them. Holmes and Campbell have seem to have cleaned house but but they haven't managed to put enough success or entertainment on the field.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess my real question is whether he was always this bad or whether he's gotten worse.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:34 pm I guess my real question is whether he was always this bad or whether he's gotten worse.
That was our question. Locally, the fans very quickly came the conclusion he had always been that bad but was given no latitude by Belichick to show it and had Brady's offense to overlook how bad he was at defense. For being defensive minded, he managed to put together the worst defense while actively and purposely chasing the best players away, demanding an irrational sense of loyal discipline concurrent with not planning and playing to the actually strengths of his players and showing them no courtesy of respect. He was a cancer to the field and the locker room and he hit the ground running. Other teams picked apart his game and he never adjusted. He and Quinn were always letting you know they were the smartest guy in the room and they backed it by :confusion-shrug:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I am glad you have hope Unagi, but I’m just not seeing it with Justin Fields. I think he will have some success coming up with the designed runs and rolling out to cut the field in half - but he really seems to struggle with seeing what’s happening and reacting while in the pocket. Eventually that catches up. But for now, after smashing the Pats in NE? I endorse being upbeat at this time for Bears fans.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Picks for week 8:

Ravens at Bucs
Broncos at Jags
Panthers at Falcons
Bears at Cowboys
Dolphins at Lions
Cards at Vikings
Raiders at Saints
Pats at Jets
Steelers at Eagles
Titans at Texans
Commanders at Colts
49ers at Rams
Giants at Seahawks
Packers at Bills
Bengals at Browns
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:lol:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I endorse this solely due to the color of these particular Jordans.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi Picks for week 8:

Ravens at Bucs
Broncos at Jags
Panthers at Falcons
Bears at Cowboys
Dolphins at Lions
Cards at Vikings
Raiders at Saints
Pats at Jets
Steelers at Eagles
Titans at Texans
Commanders at Colts
49ers at Rams
Giants at Seahawks
Packers at Bills
Bengals at Browns
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Brady worshipers rejoice! Uncle Tom is back on the market. Oh, and he suffered a demoralizing third loss in a row for the first time since leather helmets.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Watching last night, I found it aggravating how many excuses the announcers (not as much Al Michaels) were making for Brady. At this point, the way he played last night, he’s just a sub-par QB. Overthrows. Underthrows. Missed reads. Just not very good.

Yet, Kirk Herbstreit kept on making excuses, at one point commenting that, "It's not about Brady, it's about what's around him." WTF? Evans. Godwin. Perriman. Lenny. White. Those are good skill position players. It's not their fault Brady keeps under and over throwing them. Ridiculous. And who were the amazing receivers and skill position players surrounding him in New England? He had some great ones now and then, but he also produced amazing results there with some really ho-hum talent, too.

I’m starting to think Brady may go down in history as one of the worst stories re not knowing when to hang it up.

He is old. And distracted. And realizing Gisele isn't joking around. He should have never come back this year.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sounds like Manning's final season. Well, except that Denver's defense that year was able to pick up the slack and win games for him.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:04 pm He is old. And distracted. And realizing Gisele isn't joking around. He should have never come back this year.
100% this.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:04 pm He is old. And distracted. And realizing Gisele isn't joking around. He should have never come back this year.
100% this.
Indeed. This may have been inevitable though. By all accounts he lived for football. Hard to get someone like that off the field unless and until they are forced to.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:39 pm
100% this.
Indeed. This may have been inevitable though. By all accounts he lived for football. Hard to get someone like that off the field unless and until they are forced to.
Yeah, as much as I agree that if you want to perfectly time things at the peak a la Seinfeld, I suggest that 1. That is likely VERY hard to do and 2. he may look 5 years out and think "what will I *DO*?! Football is life!"

I've never experienced being so good at and loving something so much that you do for a career, but that cannot be easy.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:26 pm
100% this.
Yeah, as much as I agree that if you want to perfectly time things at the peak a la Seinfeld, I suggest that 1. That is likely VERY hard to do and 2. he may look 5 years out and think "what will I *DO*?! Football is life!"

I've never experienced being so good at and loving something so much that you do for a career, but that cannot be easy.
I've never experienced that either. Or being married to a Brazilian supermodel whose net worth is nearly double mine.

Lots of different ways to look at that as a factor here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

100% this.

Also like, it's a sharp drop off. In hindsight he should've actually retired after last season, but...he was playing very well. Hard to say that he needed to at that point.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One would figure that is the point of training camp.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:02 pm
100% this.

Also like, it's a sharp drop off. In hindsight he should've actually retired after last season, but...he was playing very well. Hard to say that he needed to at that point.
Seinfeld.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:06 pm One would figure that is the point of training camp.
Has anyone retired between training camp and the regular season?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:13 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:06 pm One would figure that is the point of training camp.
Has anyone retired between training camp and the regular season?
Tim Tebow.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter