NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by Pyperkub »

PS - confirmed, ALL 24 rep'd by Buzbee
The 23rd suit was filed Tuesday by Buzbee’s client Nia Smith, and all 24 of the plaintiffs are represented by Buzbee.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

IMO that doesn’t mean anything. There are a lot of efficiencies for a lawyer to specialize in a type of lawsuit. They’ve seen all the objections and delay tactics from the other side, and willing to put in the work. When the other side knows that, you can get more progress.

Chicago is a big legal market and when a taxi company wasn’t willing to put us in contact with a driver who was rear ended while my wife was in the car, I got only 3 names of attorneys regularly suing taxi companies. One knew exactly who to call and we quickly got the info needed to deal with her medical bills. I had the same thing recently with a life insurance policy payment that was stalled. A letter to a specific person with the right words got the payment made.

It’s more complicated when it comes time to settle, as the cases will have different strengths so the clients may not always align.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Watson’s lawyer. Oof. All the time Mr.Fed spends trying to get people to shut up and not say something stupid, and his lawyer takes the time to remind us that “happy endings” aren’t necessarily illegal.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Settlement offer (and NDA) rejected at trade deadline last year

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/desh ... is-reason/

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Approximately 99% of grand juries indict. Since it was dismissed, it's far more likely the prosecutor tanked the case on purpose.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The best collection on Watson I've seen, with some info I hadn't:
Not all of the women who gave Watson massages between October 2019 and March 2021 have detailed their interactions with him. Some who have shared their experiences say they had no problems with him. Others describe troubling — and similar — behaviors.

The 66 women are:

The 24 who have sued him, including two who filed suits within the last week. In the most recent suit, the woman said Watson masturbated during the massage.

A woman who sued but then withdrew the complaint because of “privacy and security concerns.”

Two women who filed criminal complaints against Watson but did not sue him.

At least 15 therapists who issued statements of support for Watson at the request of his lawyers and gave him massages during that period.

At least four therapists from Genuine Touch, the massage therapy group contracted with the Texans.

Five women identified by the plaintiffs’ lawyers during the investigation for their civil suits.

At least 15 other women whose appointments with Watson were confirmed through interviews and records reviewed by The Times.
IMHO, the bolded part is news to me, tho I haven't dug much into this, and (the bolded) does indicate it's not all the one Lawyer, which was my biggest red flag concern.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So, how about that Baker Mayfield?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

noxiousdog wrote:Approximately 99% of grand juries indict. Since it was dismissed, it's far more likely the prosecutor tanked the case on purpose.
While true, there are also extenuating circumstances that can arise with celebrities, and quirks of the system that just happen to come up (i.e. they had a reduced head count that day which can dramatically increase the chances of no billing an indictment by reducing the number of “no” votes necessary).

But I do suspect the prosecutor wanted the grand jury to say no rather than to elect to not prosecute.
Make up bags of change
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:44 pm So, how about that Baker Mayfield?
Panthers or Seahawks?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:48 pm
noxiousdog wrote:Approximately 99% of grand juries indict. Since it was dismissed, it's far more likely the prosecutor tanked the case on purpose.
While true, there are also extenuating circumstances that can arise with celebrities, and quirks of the system that just happen to come up (i.e. they had a reduced head count that day which can dramatically increase the chances of no billing an indictment by reducing the number of “no” votes necessary).

But I do suspect the prosecutor wanted the grand jury to say no rather than to elect to not prosecute.
I do think that in these specific alleged crimes, @noxiousdog 's numbers aren't accurate, for a variety of reasons:
Prior to DOJ’s recent investigation of BPD, a 2014 analysis of policing data revealed that from 1995 to 2012, the number of reported rapes in Baltimore suspiciously fell by 80 percent, compared to a 7 percent decline nationally. Of course, Baltimore did not actually see an 80-percent reduction in rapes. According to a 2010 investigation by the city’s Sun newspaper, during this period BPD reported a dramatic uptick in the number of sexual assault cases coded as “unfounded.” BPD and other cities not only routinely miscoded reports of sexual assault as unfounded, but also downgraded reports to lesser crimes, and even avoided creating a written record of a report altogether. As a result, BPD and other police departments did not have to report these cases to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, causing potentially over one million rape cases to go unreported in national statistics. DOJ’s recent investigation found that BPD no longer codes as many sexual assaults as “unfounded,” but now reports over half of sexual assault cases as “open,” deliberately misrepresenting the nature of the investigation and despite making no effort to continue an investigation. Poor reporting of sexual assault cases greatly undermines police accountability and public trust in police, as well as skews national statistics which are used for policymaking at the federal level. And, compounded by the fact that sexual assault reporting standards can vary greatly depending on which agency reports it, local, state, and federal policymakers are often unable to effectively understand and respond to sexual assault issues or crack down on bad actors manipulating data.

Bad data about the prevalence of sexual assault, combined with widespread under-investigation of these cases, also contributes to the unsettlingly commonplace narrative that women reporting sexual assault are likely lying. The Sun’s investigation found BPD previously reported 30 percent of sexual assault cases as “unfounded.” In reality, not only do the majority of sexual assaults go unreported, but the best estimates place the number of false sexual assault reports at between 2 and 10 percent. Nevertheless, many police officers exhibit a strong bias in responding to and reporting sexual assault cases based on the assumption that false reporting is common. DOJ’s investigation revealed that BPD officers would disregard reports of sexual assault, fail to gather basic evidence, and even discourage victims from pursuing justice. An American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) survey of sexual assault survivor advocates, attorneys, and service providers in 2015 revealed that over 80 percent of respondents reported police frequently do not believe victims, engage in victim blaming, or simply do not take reports seriously, and as a result, dismiss reports or do not take sufficient action. Even when it is difficult to draw a direct relationship between explicit bias and mismanagement of an investigation, law enforcement’s subtle and subconscious biases, reinforced by bad data, undoubtedly taint the quality and rigor of sexual assault investigations and do survivors a great disservice.
More info on bad grand jury data:
G. The most significant gap in this data is the grand jury process. While there were
four cases in which the court file noted that the case was pending an indictment from the grand
jury, the grand jury proceedings are considered almost entirely confidential and the USAO
interprets that confidentiality to extend to whether a case is going before the grand jury at all,
not just the conventionally agreed upon confidentiality of the contents of the testimony and the
questions asked. Information that would shed light on the use of grand juries in this process
include which cases are pending before a grand jury, whether the AUSA requested a bill of
indictment at all, and whether one was granted if requested. These are procedural steps and not
related to the content of the grand jury proceedings.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I don't understand your point. What did that have to do with grand juries declining to indict when they are presented with cases?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

He never gave Watson a message that we know of.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Apparently everybody else did. The New York times reported that he's had 66 different massage therapists within 17 months.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:58 pm
Was the message a missive about a mission to find a masseuse?
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:27 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:58 pm
Was the message a missive about a mission to find a masseuse?
Caught by the spelling police. 😆
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

20 of the 24 lawsuits settled...
Deshaun Watson, the Cleveland Browns quarterback, has reached settlements with 20 of the 24 women who have filed sexual misconduct lawsuits against him, the lawyer Tony Buzbee announced Tuesday morning. In a statement, Buzbee, who represents Watson’s accusers, said that the terms and amounts of these settlements were confidential and that he would not comment further.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Gronk retired (again).

A little trip down memory lane.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Jaylon Ferguson has died
Baltimore City police have confirmed that the victim in a "questionable death" in the 400 block of Ilchester Avenue on Tuesday night was Ferguson. Officers were called around 11:30 p.m. to the scene. The death is being investigated as questionable until the Medical Examiner's office determines the cause.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 pm Gronk retired (again).

A little trip down memory lane.

If TB is in contention in November, I expect he will unretire...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:07 pm If TB is in contention in November, I expect he will unretire...
When even your players are fair-weather bandwagoners.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's on! Great Thursday night game with Bills at Rams, even a potential Super Bowl match up. And it's on NBC, not that crap ass NFL network.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

At least we seem to have purged all of our gang rapists before the season started!
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Shockingly the Bills are favored on the road by 2.5.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote:Shockingly the Bills are favored on the road by 2.5.
The Bills are good. I think it will be tough for them to go on the road against the defending champs who are hanging their banner. Especially with some weakness or uncertainty at corner - against a very good passing attack.

If the DL is as for real as they looked over the summer, that might mitigate things, we’ll see. I think the Rams take a close one, but I can see it going either way.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:27 pm
The Bills are good. I think it will be tough for them to go on the road against the defending champs who are hanging their banner. Especially with some weakness or uncertainty at corner - against a very good passing attack.

If the DL is as for real as they looked over the summer, that might mitigate things, we’ll see. I think the Rams take a close one, but I can see it going either way.
Is it weird to be going into the season with the Bills as such a heavy Super Bowl favorite?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:22 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Is it weird to be going into the season with the Bills as such a heavy Super Bowl favorite?
Their track record speaks for itself.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:Is it weird to be going into the season with the Bills as such a heavy Super Bowl favorite?
Yes. This has been the most hype I’ve seen for a Bills team probably since the 1991 season.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Would be fantastic if they played the Vikings in the SB.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote:Would be fantastic if they played the Vikings in the SB.
Why?
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:32 pm
Why?
Because somebody has to win.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Four NFL teams have never made it to the Super Bowl: the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why?
They are tied for most SB appearances without a win.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No team outside the AFC East has gone to more than two Superb Owls in a row.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, that was an old fashioned country ass whoopin'. I can see why the pundits are so high on the Bills. They were 13 seconds of BS from making noise last year.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apparently Josh Allen is very good at football.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:
Why?
They are tied for most SB appearances without a win.
I’m aware. I asked the question because what happened during the 70s, 80s and 90s has no relevance today. Most Vikings fans weren’t alive when they lost their four, and that might even be true for the Bills as well.

It’s also unnecessarily hurtful to the team that loses that hypothetical match up. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:Apparently Josh Allen is very good at football.
He is a glorious unicorn and I love him.

I was really surprised at the performance of the defense. The DL is for real. 7 sacks without a single blitz, effectively with rookies at CB. And they did it while still letting Kupp feast which I appreciated for fantasy purposes. I did not expect them to curb stomp the Rams.

The Rams are nothing if not prepared usually. But they didn’t even try to involve Allen Robinson in the game.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Before we get too far into the season, I thought it would be interesting to do some picks. Mine are below in bold. Usually when I can't decide I choose the team I hate more. Uncannily accurate.

Saints at Falcons
49ers at Bears
Steelers at Bengals
Eagles at Lions
Pats at Dolphins
Ravens at Jets
Jags at Commodores
Browns at Panthers
Colts at Texans
Giants at Titans
Packers at Vikings
Chiefs at Cardinals
Raiders at Chargers
Bucs at Cowboys
Broncos at Seahawks
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Commodores? When did Vandy go pro?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When Lionel Richie left the group.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter