Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by Unagi »

My Picks

49ers at Eagles
Bengals at Chiefs
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So excited and nervous for the Eagles v. Niners game tomorrow. Hard to believe the Birds are 1 win away from making it back to the SB.

From my perspective, it’s pretty much a pick ‘em. Both rosters are so talented. Definitely the two best teams in the NFC.

Purdy has been really good, but I think if the Eagles can somehow get out to an early lead, there’s a good chance the Niners offense derails. Purdy hasn’t faced the kind of pressure the Eagles can bring, and if the Niners get in a position where they’re chasing, I think he’s going to be in trouble.

On the other hand, the Eagles need to keep Hurts clean, and that really comes down to Lane Johnson and how healthy he is. He held up and played great last week against the Giants with Kayvon Thibadeaux rushing against him, but Bosa is in another league. I believe Johnson is the best RT in the league and, if healthy, could square off and win against Bosa, but with a torn abductor . . . I’m worried. If Johnson can’t handle Bosa or if Johnson gets knocked out (our backup, Jack Driscoll, isn’t bad, but he’s no Johnson), we’re in trouble.

Also worried about Kittle. Not to state the obvious, but Kittle is a monster. Not sure how the Eagles are going to cover him. Kyzir White played really well early on, but as the season went on, his challenges in coverage became obvious. If he gets matched up covering Kittle, I’m sure Purdy is going right there and will do so to great effect.

Really not sure what’s going to happen. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I’m an Eagles fan . . . So I know better than to be actually optimistic. :D
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just hope Suh doesn't assault someone.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow! What a 4th down catch by Smith of the Eagles.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh man, it's all but over for SF. Purdy out?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is the second largest dumpster of a quarter I have seen in a long time. Or the last month.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:17 pm Wow! What a 4th down catch by Smith of the Eagles.
Apparently it was too good to be true.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:17 pm Wow! What a 4th down catch by Smith of the Eagles.
Except he actually lost control, knew it - and they got away with it. :ninja:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:55 pm
Ya bammed me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 pm Oh man, it's all but over for SF. Purdy out?
Apparently you don't really need a QB if you have McCaffery.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:11 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:34 pm Oh man, it's all but over for SF. Purdy out?
That run was ridiculous
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unless your QB does a:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unless McCaffery then becomes your QB.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jaymann wrote:
Wasn't a catch. Smart move to rush for the next play before replays showed it

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

This bad. Injury bug and stupid undisciplined penalties like the one that just happened in 4th and 6 for roughing the kicker

naednek

Post by naednek »

And another

naednek

Post by naednek »

Congratulations kurth. Not the way I thought it would happen. I'll be rooting for the eagles in the Superbowl

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Man, what a total mess of a game. I wonder how things would have played out without Purdy being taken out early... and then Johnson too.

Just such a horrible game. (IMO)

While a Win is a Win, I'm sure the Eagles would have rather won a game against an opponent that actually could play. Of course, I bet they would rather win this way, then lose to an opponent that actually could play.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The injury bug can change the direction of a season on a dime. Or a nickel.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, what an incredibly stupid play by CIN to cost them the game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, no big dog for Burrow!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Much better game. but - damn did I bust out this round. lol.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:Oh man, it's all but over for SF. Purdy out?
One wonders what Shanahan was thinking trying to block Reddick with a backup TE on the play Purdy was injured.

He appeared to try it again later on another sack v. Johnson.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 am
One wonders what Shanahan was thinking trying to block Reddick with a backup TE on the play Purdy was injured.

Yeah, I think there’s gonna be some serious second guessing about those decisions. It’s weird. Reddick had like 50 sacks this season, but he kind of flew under the radar. No one really paid much attention to what a beast he has been. He’s not even in contention for defensive player of the year.

I feel bad for Purdy. It’s a shitty way to end a storybook rookie season. But man, the Eagles defense was ferocious, and even though Hurts looked off for most of the game, the O line continued to be elite to the tune of 250+ rushing yards against what I think is the second best defense in the NFL.

Just goes to show that Howie Roseman’s consistent strategy to build from the lines is a solid way to go about building a winner.

Now, bring on Big Red and the Chiefs! Ready for the Kelce v. Kelce battle!!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm

Yeah, I think there’s gonna be some serious second guessing about those decisions. It’s weird. Reddick had like 50 sacks this season, but he kind of flew under the radar. No one really paid much attention to what a beast he has been. He’s not even in contention for defensive player of the year.

I feel bad for Purdy. It’s a shitty way to end a storybook rookie season. But man, the Eagles defense was ferocious, and even though Hurts looked off for most of the game, the O line continued to be elite to the tune of 250+ rushing yards against what I think is the second best defense in the NFL.

Just goes to show that Howie Roseman’s consistent strategy to build from the lines is a solid way to go about building a winner.

I respect the Eagles Defense, but I've seen too many people say how great they were against the niners. Well, of course they are going to perform great, and you have NO QBs playing and all you can do is hand off and be one dimensional. For this game, I think it's a bit inflated to claim they played great. They were essentially handed the win (not intentionally)

With that said, I hope the Eagles win in the SB
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:59 pm

I respect the Eagles Defense, but I've seen too many people say how great they were against the niners. Well, of course they are going to perform great, and you have NO QBs playing and all you can do is hand off and be one dimensional. For this game, I think it's a bit inflated to claim they played great. They were essentially handed the win (not intentionally)

But would you have expected the SF defense to be the one handing them the win? I mean it was 7-7 before the defense committed hari-kari by way of stupid penalties. And I wish Greg Olsen would learn to shut up for 10 seconds.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:40 pm

But would you have expected the SF defense to be the one handing them the win? I mean it was 7-7 before the defense committed hari-kari by way of stupid penalties. And I wish Greg Olsen would learn to shut up for 10 seconds.
Yep. I wouldn't say that this match-up of Eagles D v. Niners O was all that representative after that first drive. But that first drive was representative of what the Eagles have been doing all year. Relentless pressure from the D-line. We had 4 different players with double digit sacks this year. That's nuts.

I think the more representative matchup was Eagles O v. Niners D. The Niners were in a bad spot knowing they'd need to play lights out on defense to keep the game close, and they wilted under the pressure and displayed a real lack of discipline. So many stupid penalties that helped the Eagles keep drives alive.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:09 pm

Yep. I wouldn't say that this match-up of Eagles D v. Niners O was all that representative after that first drive. But that first drive was representative of what the Eagles have been doing all year. Relentless pressure from the D-line. We had 4 different players with double digit sacks this year. That's nuts.

I think the more representative matchup was Eagles O v. Niners D. The Niners were in a bad spot knowing they'd need to play lights out on defense to keep the game close, and they wilted under the pressure and displayed a real lack of discipline. So many stupid penalties that helped the Eagles keep drives alive.
Also not having an offense capable of *anything* tends to make defenses a LOT worse, especially as the game goes on, as we saw play out.

I'm just bummed that we didn't get to see the game we thought we would see. I feel a bit ripped off. I wanted to see Purdy v the Eagles defense, with Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, McCaffrey and Kittle with the opportunity to make plays, or get shut down. I feel really bad for Purdy, who had earned that opportunity.

That said, I still expect to be rooting for the Eagles (and I think they'll win).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

naednek wrote:you have NO QBs playing and all you can do is hand off and be one dimensional. For this game, I think it's a bit inflated to claim they played great. They were essentially handed the win (not intentionally)

You didn’t enter the game with no QBs, right? You entered the game with two QBs, and the Eagles knocked them both out of the game. At that point, all they could do is play the people in front of them.

The Eagles are gonna smash the Chiefs.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
naednek

Post by naednek »

I think the niners D was frustrated overall because how things happened. I don't think they would have been frustrated if the injuries happened. With that said how they handled themselves was pretty sad.

Some people think the Eagles players were targeting the QB's. I don't believe that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's weird how often we see NFL teams emerge from obscurity to prominence so quickly, like the Eagles not so long ago fired their head coach, and now could potentially be a dynasty. And witness the Jags rise from worst to first. Before Burrows the Bengals were horrible. It seems you don't see this as much in other sports.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:14 pm It's weird how often we see NFL teams emerge from obscurity to prominence so quickly, like the Eagles not so long ago fired their head coach, and now could potentially be a dynasty. And witness the Jags rise from worst to first. Before Burrows the Bengals were horrible. It seems you don't see this as much in other sports.
Salary Cap.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:14 pm It's weird how often we see NFL teams emerge from obscurity to prominence so quickly, like the Eagles not so long ago fired their head coach, and now could potentially be a dynasty. And witness the Jags rise from worst to first. Before Burrows the Bengals were horrible. It seems you don't see this as much in other sports.
I don't think you can say the Eagles are a team that has emerged from obscurity.

According to a prominent Cowboys writer -- yes, I'm quoting a Cowboys writer -- the Eagles are the class of the NFC in the 21st century:
If we are being honest, the Eagles have been the best team in the conference all season and are deserving of playing for a world championship. That is the objective truth.

While we are being truthful, the Eagles have become the class of the division over the course of the 21st century. Since Dallas last even appeared in a title game (1995 as we all know), the Eagles have been to seven conference championships themselves, won three of them, and will now battle it out for their second world championship since 2017.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Eagles beat the miserable Bears, 49ers did not. If I was a betting man, I'd have bet the farm on the outcome of this game. (whether my wife's egg farm or my FiL's rice farm that I funded I can't say).

I'm glad KC made it. They are probably my 3rd favorite team (second favorite, if they are playing the Packers).
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

naednek wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:06 pm Some people think the Eagles players were targeting the QB's. I don't believe that.
Missed this before. I hadn’t heard that. Those people are idiots. The defense is supposed to target the opposing QB. That’s a big part of what they’re supposed to do.

But there wasn’t a cheap, dirty or illegal hit on any Niners QB yesterday (even by Suh when he knocked Johnson out) so that’s just sour grapes by those people and, honestly, pretty pathetic.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kurth wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:28 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:06 pm Some people think the Eagles players were targeting the QB's. I don't believe that.
Missed this before. I hadn’t heard that. Those people are idiots. The defense is supposed to target the opposing QB. That’s a big part of what they’re supposed to do.

But there wasn’t a cheap, dirty or illegal hit on any Niners QB yesterday (even by Suh when he knocked Johnson out) so that’s just sour grapes by those people and, honestly, pretty pathetic.
you'll want to not join the 49er faithful facebook group. It's all sour grapes. Full conspiracies, think refs gave the game, eagles played dirty all that stuff. It's like you're talking to Raider fans. I firmly believe half the raider fans jumped ship to the niners when Harbaugh came. The make up of the fanbase changed big time. Now it's wannabe gangsters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What else were they supposed to do, keep rooting for Las Vegas?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Chiefs vs Eagles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Chiefs vs Eagles

Both QB's are banged up, so I'm going with the better defense.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm Chiefs vs Eagles

Both QB's are banged up, so I'm going with the better defense.
There's a flaw in your logic. Both QBs are banged up but one is named Patrick Mahommes and the other is not. The defense has been winning the Eagles games and Mahommes is the best QB they've faced all year by far.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni