NFL 2022 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrothgar

Re: NFL 2022 Season

Post by Hrothgar »

stessier wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:05 pm Lovie Smith seems headed for the Texans. That seems like an odd choice.
I'm just happy the Texans are backing away from the cliff. Local reports indicated they really wanted Josh McCown, a journeyman quarterback with no real coaching experience. The plan was to put him as head coach and surround him with experience. Lovie as DC, Pep Hamilton as OC, and keep Romeo Crennel in his advisory position. This would have been a huge gamble in a normal year especially with the recent track record of the Texans. Then it was looking like there could be no minority head coaches hired with nine openings. So the Texans announce their finalists. Brian Flores with head coaching experience, coordinator experience over twelve years of pro coaching experience and coming off two winning seasons in Miami. Jonathan Gannon with one year of coordinating experience over ten years of pro coaching experience and a couple of years of front office experience. And McCown.

Then Flores sues the NFL claiming racist hiring practices. One of his allegations is that owners hire less qualified white head coaches over more qualified black candidates. So the Texans were left with the options of proving Flores' claims, hiring the guy that's suing the league, or finding an alternative. Lovie is in house and more qualified than any of the finalists. He's old enough that he's probably not the long term solution.

Perhaps they have a more reasonable path for McCown. Hamilton is currently the QB coach. Lovie promotes him to OC. Hey look we need a QB coach. That's something McCown might actually be qualified for. Lovie can hire a new DC, maybe Jerod Mayo, another guy the Texans were high on early in the search. If things go well, one of those three could be heir apparent when Lovie hangs up his whistle. If things don't go well, Houston will be in the market for a new GM to hire the next head coach.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

At the end of the day seems like the core problem with the Texans lies with ownership, so I assume they'll mostly be a disaster until ownership changes.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lovie is ok, I don't think he's ever been the reason his teams haven't excelled. He's one of two coaches to ever bring The Bears to a Super Bowl, so that puts him even with Mike Ditka and ahead of George Halas, right? Josh McNown is a joke waiting to be told, though, unless he proves otherwise via development so all in all, it's a good move.
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It's official.

Full list of new head coaches:

• Bears: Matt Eberflus
• Broncos: Nathaniel Hackett
• Dolphins: Mike McDaniel
• Giants: Brian Daboll
• Jaguars: Doug Pederson
• Raiders: Josh McDaniels
• Saints: Dennis Allen
• Texans: Lovie Smith
• Vikings: Kevin O'Connell
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Washington has been pretty awful the last decade but that's now 4 assistant coaches from here who are now head coaches - Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt Lafleur, and now Kevin O'Connell.
Hodor.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:53 pm Russell Wilson to the Broncos. :? Guess they made this move after Aarogant Rodgers re-signed with the Packers. Just what we need, another high level QB in the AFC West.
Interesting. Yes, I'm just messing with you. Some of us have been in this thread since October, and our only joy has been when other teams join us.

There's always hope for the future.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
The NFL said Monday that an independent review found "no evidence" to substantiate allegations made by former Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson that the the team intentionally lost games in the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
The NFL announced that after a 60-day review, independent investigators led by former Securities and Exchange Commission chair Mary Jo White "determined that none of the allegations could be substantiated."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sometimes it is 100% F*** the NFL:
According to Peter King of NBC Sports, the Lions turned their draft card in "within a minute" of Walker being selected. The Lions made their pick so quickly that the NFL was actually upset about it.

"We turned the card in so fast the league got mad at us," a Lions official told King.
Gotta get more commercials and sponsored content in there!!!! Screw you NFL!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Dan Ventrelle is out as president of the Raiders and they have "no further comment at this time." Also out is head of analytics - who was only there 7 months. Sounds like a scandal is a brewin'.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:08 pm Dan Ventrelle is out as president of the Raiders and they have "no further comment at this time." Also out is head of analytics - who was only there 7 months. Sounds like a scandal is a brewin'.
Well, for those based in Vegas, even if what happened stays in Vegas, doesn't really help?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

stessier wrote:Dan Ventrelle is out as president of the Raiders and they have "no further comment at this time." Also out is head of analytics - who was only there 7 months. Sounds like a scandal is a brewin'.
Can't say I'm shocked

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Ventrelle is claiming he was fired for reporting complaints to the NFL from female Raiders' employees about a hostile work environment.
stessier

Post by stessier »

HO-LY!

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Seems smart for Brady to lock this down now. If he sucks as an analyst, then that'll be Fox's problem at that point.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hopkins(AZ) suspended for PED use:
The Cardinals made one notable addition to their receiving corps over the weekend, but they will be starting the season without their No. 1. DeAndre Hopkins is being suspended six games for a violation of the league’s Performance Enhancing Drug policy

stessier

Post by stessier »

This was one of the better ones I saw.

The Jags one is funny as is the Seattle graveyard. The ATL one I needed to see the comments to catch and obviously love. :D
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 pm Seems smart for Brady to lock this down now. If he sucks as an analyst, then that'll be Fox's problem at that point.
And I expect that will be the case. Well, that and 90% of the country really wishes to never hear from him again. Basking in the absence of Brett Favre is losing it's lustre, we need someone else we're fed up with to simply go away.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:54 pm Seems smart for Brady to lock this down now. If he sucks as an analyst, then that'll be Fox's problem at that point.
And I expect that will be the case. Well, that and 90% of the country really wishes to never hear from him again. Basking in the absence of Brett Favre is losing it's lustre, we need someone else we're fed up with to simply go away.
Aaron Rodgers is on my short list.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:07 am Aaron Rodgers is on my short list.
That goes without saying. As a Bears fan, I've been done with that guy for quite some time. Like forever.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

NFL 2022 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

On the contrary, Brady is doing a masterful job of redeeming himself with those that hate him. I’m almost there. Almost.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:28 pm The Jags one is funny as is the Seattle graveyard. The ATL one I needed to see the comments to catch and obviously love. :D
The Raiders as One Piece was nice, but then Luffy is immune to electricity and always wins with the help of his team, so... Maybe ill advised.
Jeff V wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 pm Well, that and 90% of the country really wishes to never hear from him again.
I am surprised at the volume of UofM fans that still adore him, when they didn't at the time he was a student.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am On the contrary, Brady is doing a masterful job of redeeming himself with those that hate him. I’m almost there. Almost.
I never hated him. Just don't like him.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am On the contrary, Brady is doing a masterful job of redeeming himself with those that hate him. I’m almost there. Almost.
Hated him until he left the Pats. Then began to like him more and more as I felt his success with the Bucs was eating at Belichek and the terribly annoying Pats fans.

Now, I kind of find myself rooting for him just because he is old as dirt. And I'm even older.

Old guys have to stick together.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:20 am Now, I kind of find myself rooting for him just because he is old as dirt. And I'm even older.

We got that out our system when Dave Krieg passed through town.

When the old guys try to take it a season too far, it's just painful to watch. Peyton Manning. Brett Favre. Ryne Sandberg. Half the Chicago Blackhawks roster. Nothing like one's epitaph being "boy, he sure sucked that last season, didn't he?"

Better I think is Barry Sanders. He walked away at the height of his powers. The world will end, and Lions fans will still be singing his praises and wistfully praying for his return.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:20 am
Jeff V wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:56 pm
Hated him until he left the Pats. Then began to like him more and more as I felt his success with the Bucs was eating at Belichek and the terribly annoying Pats fans.

Now, I kind of find myself rooting for him just because he is old as dirt. And I'm even older.

You're not going to believe this, but I still like Tom Brady.

The one thing that has annoyed me though is his fake retirement scheme including the apparent role in ousting Flores in order to get Sean Payton in, including getting into bed with the loathsome Miami owner. Until it all blew up in his face. I can't say I know the full details on that, but what is out there doesn't look especially good.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm The one thing that has annoyed me though is his fake retirement scheme including the apparent role in ousting Flores in order to get Sean Payton in, including getting into bed with the loathsome Miami owner. Until it all blew up in his face. I can't say I know the full details on that, but what is out there doesn't look especially good.
But you were okay with his cheating scandal? Probably he is banned for life in any other sport for pulling such a thing. And getting caught.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:51 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm The one thing that has annoyed me though is his fake retirement scheme including the apparent role in ousting Flores in order to get Sean Payton in, including getting into bed with the loathsome Miami owner. Until it all blew up in his face. I can't say I know the full details on that, but what is out there doesn't look especially good.
But you were okay with his cheating scandal? Probably he is banned for life in any other sport for pulling such a thing. And getting caught.
This is a whole separate discussion, but the evidence against him in Deflategate is less than overwhelming. But yes, if you fully credit the NFL account of what happened then that is also a problem.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Deshaun Watson now facing his 23rd civil lawsuit for sexual misconduct.
Another woman has filed a lawsuit against Deshaun Watson, joining 22 others who accused the Cleveland Browns quarterback in civil cases filed in 2021 of inappropriate sexual conduct during massage sessions.

In the 23rd civil case filed Tuesday in Texas against Watson, the lawsuit states that the plaintiff had her first massage session with Watson during the summer of 2020 and that his "behavior grew worse." During the third and final massage, she alleges in the lawsuit that Watson exposed himself to her, touched the woman between the legs and "repeatedly requested" her to have sex with him.
And yet Cleveland gave him a guaranteed $230 million contract. Disgusting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:19 pm inappropriate sexual conduct during massage sessions.
But it's Houston -- where "Inappropriate sexual conduct during massage sessions" is the city's 3rd largest industry (after oil and Papa**** franchises).
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There’s also a 24th lawsuit on the way.

Watched “The Match” last night, the golf contest between Brady/Rodgers and Allen/Mahomes. Allen was positively horrendous until the 11th hole when he overshot the green (280+ yards) off the tee. And his putt on 12 was almost the greatest putt I’ve ever seen from an amateur (70 feet, left it 1 inch to the right of the cup, for what would have been the tying birdie).
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

A little levity.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:19 pm Deshaun Watson now facing his 23rd civil lawsuit for sexual misconduct.
Another woman has filed a lawsuit against Deshaun Watson, joining 22 others who accused the Cleveland Browns quarterback in civil cases filed in 2021 of inappropriate sexual conduct during massage sessions.

In the 23rd civil case filed Tuesday in Texas against Watson, the lawsuit states that the plaintiff had her first massage session with Watson during the summer of 2020 and that his "behavior grew worse." During the third and final massage, she alleges in the lawsuit that Watson exposed himself to her, touched the woman between the legs and "repeatedly requested" her to have sex with him.
And yet Cleveland gave him a guaranteed $230 million contract. Disgusting.
I think it is awful, but I also have some more info I'd like. Specifically, when last I looked, it was 19 lawsuits, ALL by the same Lawyer. Are all of them still the same Lawyer? I try not to believe a single lawyer based on his press releases (see Avenatti), and I'd think that at least some victims might want a different lawyer, despite whatever he promises. I'm inclined to believe the victims, but I can't discount a really dodgy lawyer in this equation, and the most publicity massage parlors tend to get in my area is prostitution busts (which is to say, one massage parlor...).

That and the refusal to press Criminal Charges have me waiting to see how this plays out still. Cleveland's act was still disgusting, and I'm definitely not in a mood to defend Watson whatsoever, but I'm also a bit leery of lynching based on a single Lawyer...

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They tried to pursue criminal charges (nominally). A grand jury in Houston elected to not indict him. Which just means that some number of grand jurors that received the indictment that day anonymously voted to no bill it, for reasons that only they know. Forget the lawyer, take the time to investigate those that have talked to the victims and investigated the claims. Watson is a garbage person. But he’s really good at football, so we will see.
Make up bags of change
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The whole situation is weird, but it's hard to believe that Watson is innocent. Who has 22 (and that's only the ones we know about) different masseuses in a decade; let alone a year?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:27 pm They tried to pursue criminal charges (nominally). A grand jury in Houston elected to not indict him. Which just means that some number of grand jurors that received the indictment that day anonymously voted to no bill it, for reasons that only they know. Forget the lawyer, take the time to investigate those that have talked to the victims and investigated the claims. Watson is a garbage person. But he’s really good at football, so we will see.
But is he still? When was the last time he actually took a snap in anger?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:50 am The whole situation is weird, but it's hard to believe that Watson is innocent. Who has 22 (and that's only the ones we know about) different masseuses in a decade; let alone a year?
Agreed. But I don't trust that lawyer. I do think the Grand Jury ended up with about, oh, 90% plus he said/she said stuff, and that maybe the prosecutor didn't have a lot of faith in that. I also think it takes a lot of courage for these women to go public, as if this ever goes to trial, they will 110% be dragged through the mud of he said/she said, and nobody is a Saint, which is what it would take in this situation.

As to the 22 different masseuses, what that possibly indicates to me is that he was possibly going to shadier parlors, in search of favorable reception to his advances. In which case, if *anyone* at those parlors had ever done similar things (which the prosecutor would know, as would Watson and his lawyers and maybe even the NFL investigators), the case is going to be really tough in any court of law.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 am
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:50 am The whole situation is weird, but it's hard to believe that Watson is innocent. Who has 22 (and that's only the ones we know about) different masseuses in a decade; let alone a year?
Agreed. But I don't trust that lawyer. I do think the Grand Jury ended up with about, oh, 90% plus he said/she said stuff, and that maybe the prosecutor didn't have a lot of faith in that. I also think it takes a lot of courage for these women to go public, as if this ever goes to trial, they will 110% be dragged through the mud of he said/she said, and nobody is a Saint, which is what it would take in this situation.

As to the 22 different masseuses, what that possibly indicates to me is that he was possibly going to shadier parlors, in search of favorable reception to his advances. In which case, if *anyone* at those parlors had ever done similar things (which the prosecutor would know, as would Watson and his lawyers and maybe even the NFL investigators), the case is going to be really tough in any court of law.
Athletes don't go to parlors - the masseuses come to them. From all the reports, I thought everything happened at either his home or hotel rooms while on the road.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:03 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 am

Athletes don't go to parlors - the masseuses come to them. From all the reports, I thought everything happened at either his home or hotel rooms while on the road.
Fair enough, possibly even more sketchy, possibly not.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:13 pm Fair enough, possibly even more sketchy, possibly not.
Defense lawyer: "Miss Plaintiff, have you've ever provided what's known in the business as "a happy ending?"
Miss Plaintiff: "mumbles too softly to hear
Defense lawyer: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that a little louder so the court could hear?"
Miss Plaintiff: "8"
Defense lawyer: "8?"
Miss Plaintiff: "8 times."
Defense lawyer: "8 times? So the defendant wasn't the first?"
Miss Plaintiff: "But he was."
Defense lawyer: "But you just told the court you provided happy endings 8 times."
Miss Plaintiff: "That's per day. The defendant was the first that day."
Defense lawyer: "No further questions."
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:38 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:13 pm Fair enough, possibly even more sketchy, possibly not.
Defense lawyer: "Miss Plaintiff, have you've ever provided what's known in the business as "a happy ending?"
Miss Plaintiff: "mumbles too softly to hear
Defense lawyer: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that a little louder so the court could hear?"
Miss Plaintiff: "8"
Defense lawyer: "8?"
Miss Plaintiff: "8 times."
Defense lawyer: "8 times? So the defendant wasn't the first?"
Miss Plaintiff: "But he was."
Defense lawyer: "But you just told the court you provided happy endings 8 times."
Miss Plaintiff: "That's per day. The defendant was the first that day."
Defense lawyer: "No further questions."
IMHO, it's even worse. Has *anyone* in your office/business (assuming these aren't 1 person masseuse operations) ever provided... which is a huge issue.

On the other hand, unless the Lawyer is incredibly greedy, I would have expected this to settle and quietly disappear, tho the proliferation of lawsuits does tend to indicate that there may be a strategy of strength in numbers.

I would also doubt that Watson is the only NFL player who has done this... Hell just look at the Washington Redskins issues across the board...