[showtime] Yellowjackets

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

[showtime] Yellowjackets

Post by coopasonic »

We subbed to showtime for Dexter: New Blood and the first ad we saw was for Yellowjackets, comparing it to Squid Game. I was bored, so watched the first episode this weekend just to see what it is about.

It seems like Lord of the Flies, but with more sex, alcohol, drugs and gore and featuring a Girls Varsity Soccer Team. It bounces back and forth between 1996 when the lord of the flies scenario happened and 2021, where are they 25 years later. The first episode showed some promise, if a bit gruesome. I am wondering if anyone else has seen more and has an opinion. Mostly trying to decide if I should watch with wife or solo or maybe not bother.
Last edited by coopasonic on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Re: [showtime] Yellowjackets

Post by Malificent »

I loved it - I binged it over 2 weekends. It really is like Lost crossed with a Lord of the Flies. And like Lost, it's real strength is not just the mysteries, but the characters and getting attached to them. The show does a great job matching the younger and older actors so it makes it easy to follow. There are weird mysteries going on in both timelines, but the show feels like it knows where it is going and is happy to reveal things in the right time.

For me, this was the first show in a while where I kept shouting "Holy crap, this f-ing show" in the middle of episodes, much to the surprise of my wife, sitting upstairs.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Malificent wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm The show does a great job matching the younger and older actors so it makes it easy to follow.
Funny, this was my one real complaint. I want a reference that shows the old and young versions of each character along with their name. In fairness I am only 1 episode in, but I am not sure who
Spoiler:
had the rifle in the car. Initially I thought it was the captain, but then some transition made me think it was the goth/outcast/bleached blonde
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:40 pm The show does a great job matching the younger and older actors so it makes it easy to follow.
Funny, this was my one real complaint. I want a reference that shows the old and young versions of each character along with their name. In fairness I am only 1 episode in, but I am not sure who
Spoiler:
had the rifle in the car. Initially I thought it was the captain, but then some transition made me think it was the goth/outcast/bleached blonde.
Spoiler:
Yep, you were right - it was the bleached blonde goth with the rifle in the car, played by Juliette Lewis in present day. It does eventually center on 4 survivors in present day, which makes it easier.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm We subbed to showtime for Dexter: New Blood and the first ad we saw was for Yellowjackets, comparing it to Squid Game. I was bored, so watched the first episode this weekend just to see what it is about.

It seems like Lord of the Flies, but with more sex, alcohol, drugs and gore and featuring a Girls Varsity Soccer Team. It bounces back and forth between 1196 when the lord fo the flies scenario happened and 2021, where are they 25 years later. The first episode showed some promise, if a bit gruesome. I am wondering if anyone else has seen more and has an opinion. Mostly trying to decide if I should watch with wife or solo or maybe not bother.
Did they really have Girls Varsity Soccer 900 years ago?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The wife and I watched it. It was one of the most compelling shows of the last year. It hits all the old high points of 'Lost' notes without the extraneous empty filler episode padding (so far). A nice dose of 90s nostalgia on top helps. Plus the characters are fantastic and a fun fanbase has sprung up around it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched the first episode but got sidetracked by other shows. I need to get back to it though.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finally got around to watching the rest of this. For some reason wife didn't want to start it before my son's flight to Disney with the high school marching band.

For the record, the wife and I both enjoyed it and are a bit mad we couldn't find a release date for season 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Buzzfeed
There's no official premiere date, but in mid-January, Gary Levine told Vulture that they were aiming for a late 2022 premiere.

"We’d love to stay on an annual cycle," he said. "I think our audiences deserve that, and I also think that when you have a show that has this kind of a momentum, you don’t want to let it dissolve."

So it's not a definite, but if they manage to follow that annual cycle, we're looking at a November premiere for Season 2.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just starting this thanks to the Prime day Showtime subscription and so far (2 episodes) it's been fantastic. The casting is impressive and Christina Ricci has been a highlight so far. Also, the soundtrack has been a great surprise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned the soundtrack bits. Is it too early to call shows set in the 80s and 90s "period pieces"? I do enjoy when shows set back in the olden days hit me with music I haven't heard in years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S2 Teaser

Starts 3/24 and I'm seriously considering a subscription based on how much I enjoyed S1.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Official trailer. Starts 3/24

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks to a Prime Day special on subscriptions (again), I now have access to this show. Anyone else watch S2? Seems to have picked up (literally) right where S1 ended. I'm still absolutely intrigued as to what happened (and what's currently happening). Still also impressed at the cast - both the adults and their teenage versions.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We watched it weekly as it dropped. This season took everything that was good about Season 1 and added to it. The addition of a few new faces only made it better. Especially Elijah Wood whose manic energy is super fun to watch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's great to hear. I'm only on Ep3 of the second season and it's been great so far; glad to hear that continues!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:21 pm That's great to hear. I'm only on Ep3 of the second season and it's been great so far; glad to hear that continues!
I was going to reply to your previous post but now I see you are just getting started. Be warned, you're going to learn more than want to know as you finish up season 2. You think you want to know and it is reasonable to think that, but you may come to regret it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All finished! I enjoyed S2 quite a bit. I don't think it had the same "punch" as S1, but it wasn't bad by any means. I enjoyed the S2 ending as well. I thought I had a theory of sorts as to what was happening, but I wasn't correct.
Spoiler:
I'm still not sure what's going on with the "scrambled TV edit" effects - unless it's just a creative choice to show hunger/isolation insanity creeping in, but it seemed quite specific for the coach.
Either way, Elijah Wood was a great addition to the cast - I wouldn't have expected that at all. It kinda feels like maybe there's one more season? I would be surprised to learn they are planning on keeping this around for another 18+ episodes...
malchior

Post by malchior »

They have said this is a 3 season show so we can expect them to wrap it up in another 8-10 episodes.