Vampire Survivors - Early Access

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Re: Vampire Survivors - Early Access

Post by Sudy »

Ugh, I can't believe this... 28:56 with Lama Ladonna before biting it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've had a few of those. Got too cocky and took my eye off the ball, as it were. I actually had my first legit respawn the other day (not counting the ones that happen after Death kills you the first time).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

New patch. More achievements. New map. New character.

And, holey moley, the new map is HARD. Took me several tries to unlock the new character. Though I did make it to 30 min on the last run. Had to break out characters that I haven't used in a while as well as run with skills that I'd given up on.

Garlic is a HUGE help on the new map. As is Wings.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

New character is pretty OP. At least from initial run.

Black Lives Matter

infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

You are right, that new map is difficult... Not just in monster types/health - but in trying to figure out what is a wall or floor. I kept running into things I thought I could walk over but ended up being walls. I'll have to venture out to reddit to see what the new evolved listing looks like and which weapons work together best to have a chance of making it through this one...
-something witty-
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My advice is go with the character that has increased speed. It seems like the map slows you down. That was brutal.

Next, I went back to garlic. You'll want it for the enemies that fire projectiles. It seemed like the garlic nuked them before they got to me.

Also, make note of the green XP gem to the right of where you start. That instant level may be key.

Actually, now that I think about it, my successful run was with the garlic character. But I immediately headed for the wings. I also got him the shield (another skill I hadn't used in ages). The extra speed and defense really helped.

As usual, bibles are always good. But I'd probably stay away from the water; at least early on. It'll help with the endgame, of course. And the paired attractorb is also really useful so that you can get those levels early.

Black Lives Matter

infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I just had a chance to try out the latest update, and was able to unlock the new achievements. I think I just got the most evolved weapons I've had in a single game before.

I played as the new character, Pugnala, who starts off with dual pistols that you can evolve, and when you do evolve them, they become a single weapon, freeing up a slot, similar to Vandalier. I screwed up, or so I thought, early on and grabbed Ebony Wings. I never got the option for Peachone and had to fill all my weapon slots just to survive. I didn't know that the new weapon merged when evolved, so when it did, my next level up had the option for Peachone, and I knew that I'd make it to 30 minutes after that. Then, when I evolved those into Vandalier, it freed up a slot again, and I picked up the Magic Wand.

I ended up with the evolved Lightning Ring, Axe, Whip, Magic Wand, Peachone + Ebony Wings = Vandalier, Phiera + Eight = Phieraggi (Pugnala's evolved pistols).

Enlarge Image
-something witty-
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

12 seconds. That's impressive. I think I've only gotten to 7 or 8, by having a couple of rezzes.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

35:29

6 Deaths on the board.

Interesting tactic. But probably won't do it again. I just wanted the achievement.

Black Lives Matter

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe. Though I was reading about people that have lasted 49+ minutes. And killed Death. ... killed Death... I didn't even know that was something that could be done. But there are entire strategies built around it. :shock:

Black Lives Matter

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

okay this sucked me in last night into this morning mostly prompted by a random YouTube video of Asmongold playing it.....and now I have "big dick garlic" stuck in my head.

Very very challenging game yet it kept me thinking "one more time". for $3 dollars I already got my moneys worth.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I cannot complete Stage 1 but somehow cleared stage 2 and also lasted 15 minutes in the plant world. Stage 2 I cleared in one try. Stage 1? I have gotten to 20 minutes twice out of maybe a 100 tries.

Somehow unlocked something that only 3% of people have done - Ars Gouda but I have no idea what it does
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Yay, beat stage 1. I guess if the comes out of early access I will have to do it all again. Certainly a great time waster.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

The Inlaid Library (Stage 2) is in every way easier than the first stage. There are tons of things to unlock/purchase in the game, and nearly all of them are easier to do by just running in the Library.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

paulbaxter wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:43 pm The Inlaid Library (Stage 2) is in every way easier than the first stage. There are tons of things to unlock/purchase in the game, and nearly all of them are easier to do by just running in the Library.
Stage 1 win came down to getting the anointed axe and the cross maxed out- this allowed me to take out werewolves and knock them back.

Library - you are right just beat it on hyper mode which is amazing since I tend to completely suck at these types of games
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah, the werewolves are tough. The initial test is the mass of skeletons. The garlic will handle those easily, but garlic can't take out werewolves. You really need an evolved weapon as quickly as possible. I've never been a fan of the cross. But I ran with the axes quite a bit early on. The knockback is pretty handy. My favorite "give me some breathing room" is the evolved bibles. Pair that with the thunder loop (not for the lightning strikes, but for the duplicator it uses) for a spinning wall of death that helps keep things at bay.

Of course, getting there before the werewolves hit can be difficult.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Question, do I call the game done if I beat death or do I need to grind out all the achievements? You can't beat the guy that comes after death. I'm trying to decide if this goes on my completed games list or not.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:39 pm Question, do I call the game done if I beat death or do I need to grind out all the achievements? You can't beat the guy that comes after death. I'm trying to decide if this goes on my completed games list or not.
Nah, you buy the bargain-priced DLC to further support great game development, and press on:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I bought this yesterday and it has hooked me completely. I can't stop playing it. It's been years since any game has done that. Can't believe they are selling it so low. Hope they keep going on it. It's an incredible game with many directions it could take.

I just got past stage 1 and it felt awesome.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I still enjoy booting it up occasionally, but I feel like I'm at the point where I'm not going to progress unless I use a guide/build guide and when successful runs are 30+ minutes I have trouble justifying it. But I'm impressed by how much the developer has crammed into the game since early access.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm enjoying it, but have kinda hit the wall with it.
I'm trying to knock achievements off the list and am about halfway thru.
But the remaining ones seem so far beyond where my skill level and stats are.
Get to Minute 31?
How in the world do you do that when you're insta-killed at minute 30?
There are plenty of other things I just dont see myself getting to unless I endlessly grind.
But that doesnt seem to be what others are doing to get good. I think it's just finding the right build for each scenario, which I'm not able to do.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Damn you all. Another one of these! I've done pretty well for the past few years staying away from this genre.

Note this is currently on GamePass for Xbox and PC.

If you like this, I highly recommend checking out:
You Must Build a Boat
Dungeon Raid (kinda?)

These games excel on a tablet FWIW (or Steam device thingie which I know little about, except it's mobile).
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:11 pm Damn you all. Another one of these! I've done pretty well for the past few years staying away from this genre.

Note this is currently on GamePass for Xbox and PC.

If you like this, I highly recommend checking out:
You Must Build a Boat
Dungeon Raid (kinda?)

These games excel on a tablet FWIW (or Steam device thingie which I know little about, except it's mobile).
Brotato also provides an amusing spin on Vampire Survivors gameplay, which feels different yet similarly compelling:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:03 pm Get to Minute 31?
How in the world do you do that when you're insta-killed at minute 30?
You do get a couple of options that make death survivable and killable. I don't remember exactly when they unlock, but once you pass that point, you will start with the required items marked on the map.

I'm not sure a guide is necessarily required, but there's a lot of good info in the wiki to help.

For most things you can use Hurry mode so the 30-31 minute runs only take 15 minutes. It's a bit more chaotic but you get used to it.
stimpy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:03 pm But that doesnt seem to be what others are doing to get good. I think it's just finding the right build for each scenario, which I'm not able to do.
I'd say it's more finding the right build for all scenarios and honestly that's different for most everyone. For my the bible is kind of the cornerstone of most of my runs, lightning ring is pretty powerful too, even if it seems super random. Basically every weapon in the game is useful, but something with knockback and keeping the area clear around you are important. Also laurel is better than you think.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Upgraded bible is awesome.

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I love getting behind the upgraded fireball like a receiver with the ball behind an offensive lineman.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I picked this up on Jeff Vogel's recommendation and... am not disappointed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just grabbed this on Switch, and the co-op just takes it to another level. If you have 3 friends/kids to murder bad guys with, it’s well worth the $9.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I noticed there were a few expansions when Epic gave away a clone a few weeks ago. Are they worth paying for and coming back to the game? The DLC seem to cost as much as the game did when I bought it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:49 am I noticed there were a few expansions when Epic gave away a clone a few weeks ago. Are they worth paying for and coming back to the game? The DLC seem to cost as much as the game did when I bought it.
Depends. Since the game is so cheap, the DLC cost relative to the game cost isn't really even (in that the base game gives you like 90% of the content for ~60% of the total cost). But since the DLCs are $1-2 each depending on platform, if you enjoy the game I'd say they're worth it--they each add a Survivor, a weapon, and a level (at minimum). On Switch it's $5 for the game and $4 for the full available DLC.