Lots of stuff in wife's name

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Lots of stuff in wife's name

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 am Enlarge Image

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote:Make sure you read MHS's post up above about jewelry. This part stands out:
MHS wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am You'd be lucky to get 1/20th of what you paid for the average piece you buy in a mall.
Keep that in mind when looking at what it would cost to buy new and setting your price.
On the other hand, if you donate, you can deduct the full cost, if tax deductions can be of use. WMMV :)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:26 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Make sure you read MHS's post up above about jewelry. This part stands out:
MHS wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am You'd be lucky to get 1/20th of what you paid for the average piece you buy in a mall.
Keep that in mind when looking at what it would cost to buy new and setting your price.
On the other hand, if you donate, you can deduct the full cost, if tax deductions can be of use. WMMV :)
That's a good point, but if he's on disability, the chances are good that he has zero taxable income. I personally haven't paid had to file a return since 2007.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No taxes other than property and sales tax in stores.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 am Enlarge Image
:lol:
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Daehawk - you have my sympathies. this has got to be really hard to process solo. FWIW - my dad passed in October and my siblings and I have been processing his estate stuff. Its a sentimental and depressing and taxing workload. But at least I have siblings and we are working together on it.

Like you, a large portion of personal stuff is jewelry. Any sentimental family heirloom jewelry was directly gifted to descendants over the last decade before my mom passed in 2019; but there is more. My dad spent about 35 years as a state veterinarian and epidemiologist. He did a lot of animal testing and was on Native reservations a lot. So, he took up collecting Hopi, Navaho and Zuni jewelry; buying directly with native artisans. Even though my mother wore some of the squash-blossom, fetish and heishi pieces on formal occasions, this was always an investment more than a collection. They had been secured in a large safe deposit for a few decades. All are very well documented with photographs and descriptions, appraisals, history and even some certifications of makers marks. He stopped collecting them about 35-40 years ago. So the pieces range from maybe 40 to 100+ years in age. We are having similar struggles finding out the best way to sell them and get them into the hands of real collectors and maybe even museums.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:22 pm He did a lot of animal testing and was on Native reservations a lot. So, he took up collecting Hopi, Navaho and Zuni jewelry; buying directly with native artisans. Even though my mother wore some of the squash-blossom, fetish and heishi pieces on formal occasions, this was always an investment more than a collection.
Tread carefully if the collection includes one of these:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Bwahaha!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So I just did the very thing I was recommending today. I came out significantly ahead.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.