[movie] Jurassic World Dominion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

[movie] Jurassic World Dominion

Post by Daehawk »

OMG the originals are back!! Sam, Jeff, and Laura.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Re: [movie] Jurassic World Dominion

Post by McNutt »

I know I watch my share of dumb movies, but I still can't believe this series is continuing. Coming from someone who stopped after the third movie, I just don't see what more each movie offers. Dinosaurs start running amok, and this is different how? Aren't we at the point in movie history where merely seeing a CGI dinosaur is no longer enough? Or are these Jurassic World stories much deeper than what I'm imagining?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Ah, I see we're going the route of bringing back as many actors as possible and crossing our fingers. But hey, snow! That's new.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least it is not in a stinking park. They will probably have to have some cheap ass War of the Worlds type conclusion.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

All I could think of watching that was "Cool, they made it to the ice level." Guess they were running out of ideas and a lava level wasn't a great option. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They already did the jungle with pygmies.

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:24 pm All I could think of watching that was "Cool, they made it to the ice level." Guess they were running out of ideas and a lava level wasn't a great option. :D
The lava level was the last movie when the island blew up in a megavolcano.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Oh man I forgot about that! I think I was only half paying attention when I watched that one.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm I know I watch my share of dumb movies, but I still can't believe this series is continuing.
Agreed. I feel the movies got progressively worse as they went along. These new series of movies feel almost entirely disconnected from what came before. While the original movies at least had a scientific base and had a certain plausibility about them, these movies throw that all out and they end up feeling more like science-fantasy on steroids. They've effectively become kids movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:13 pm
McNutt wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm I know I watch my share of dumb movies, but I still can't believe this series is continuing.
Agreed. I feel the movies got progressively worse as they went along. These new series of movies feel almost entirely disconnected from what came before. While the original movies at least had a scientific base and had a certain plausibility about them, these movies throw that all out and they end up feeling more like science-fantasy on steroids. They've effectively become kids movies.
I think they were *always* kids movies.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I, on the other hand thinks it looks interesting. I've always looked on this series as entertainment, not some sort of scientific documentary gone bad.
It's fun.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:34 pm
I'm not sure how dinosaurs chomping on people can be considered a kids movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

And yet, when it eventually crops up on a streaming service that I have, I will probably watch it against my better judgment.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And you know DNA deteriorates way too fast to be reconstructed from insects in amber. Even after hundreds of years much less millions. And amber and other saps are also porous.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now Rumpy....didn't you play with toy dinosaurs as a kid and have them eat the people toys? :D
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:39 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:34 pm
Don't ask me either. The original should have been rated R. That said, two of the primary characters were children. Also the toys and action figures were out before the movie. Also look at the original trailers. Marketed at kids.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It was fine...this is the USA remember. There was no harmful nudity in it. It was fine.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Dinosaurs chomping on people was literally what most of the kids wanted to see when I was young, and most of their parents let them. And if we're talking PG-13 rather than R, I'm not so sure it was a bad thing. If you're talking 5-year-olds, yeah. But I remember being in third grade (so, nine?) when the first film came out, and the class discussing in front of the teacher whether they'd been allowed to see it. (Pretty much everyone had. I saw it on VHS at home within a few years.) I definitely remember some giggling over a character "being on the toilet" (not quite) when he gets gobbled up.

By this age I had friends who were devoted fans of Alien, Predator, Friday the 13th, etc. They weren't always the most functional kids, so maybe they shouldn't have been allowed to be. (And, you know, post hoc ergo propter hoc.) But 1993 was still the 80s, in that sense. I can tell you it was interesting receiving the plots (often inaccurately) to those films verbally years earlier than I got to see them myself. They tended to get blended with their respective videogame narratives. It was like that scene in Reign of Fire in which they retell the Star Wars saga.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I still wouldn't call it a kids movie by a longshot. Sure, it has a PG-13 rating, which it barely got. The first Jurassic World in comparison, I think was rated simply PG, and that one is decidedly toned down from the original movies. Something to keep in mind is that we have far many more ratings now than we once had, and I think the original one would have gotten a far different rating today.
Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:22 pm
Now Rumpy....didn't you play with toy dinosaurs as a kid and have them eat the people toys? :D
Who didn't?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

To achieve greatness, a movie needs

Spaceships; and/or
Aliens; and/or
Monsters (zombies, vampires, etc); and/or
Dinosaurs; and/or
Time travel; and/or
Robots/AI; and/or
Boobs (human, female)

A movie that successfully combines all of these elements could be the greatest ever made.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Making Total Recall one of the best films ever.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Also making the Jurassic Park franchise a single point, but it does clear its orbit. Show me any better dinosaur movies.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I know the part where the lawyer got eaten on the john scared 10 and a half year old me really good. I hid my face in moms lap. haha.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Rumpy wrote: Something to keep in mind is that we have far many more ratings now than we once had, and I think the original one would have gotten a far different rating today.
We have just as many movie ratings as we did back then.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 am To achieve greatness, a movie needs

Spaceships; and/or
Aliens; and/or
Monsters (zombies, vampires, etc); and/or
Dinosaurs; and/or
Time travel; and/or
Robots/AI; and/or
Boobs (human, female)

A movie that successfully combines all of these elements could be the greatest ever made.
Starship Troopers
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, I was raised with the idea of people being chased and eaten by dinosaurs.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LotL! Grumpy and the sleestaks. Man that was my favorite Saturday show. And Holly woo woo
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:51 am
Rumpy wrote: Something to keep in mind is that we have far many more ratings now than we once had, and I think the original one would have gotten a far different rating today.
We have just as many movie ratings as we did back then.
Sorry, you're right. I was thinking of the fact that PG-13 had been created after complaints of Temple of Doom's violence and gore.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know why you don't want kids to see dinosaurs chomp people in half on the toilet, Rumpy. It seems over-protective. If kids don't see these things now in popular media, how will they react when they encounter them in real life?

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:15 am Also, I was raised with the idea of people being chased and eaten by dinosaurs.

Geez that's even worse than my brain remembered. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Sudy wrote:Dinosaurs chomping on people was literally what most of the kids wanted to see when I was young, and most of their parents let them. And if we're talking PG-13 rather than R, I'm not so sure it was a bad thing. If you're talking 5-year-olds, yeah. But I remember being in third grade (so, nine?) when the first film came out, and the class discussing in front of the teacher whether they'd been allowed to see it. (Pretty much everyone had. I saw it on VHS at home within a few years.) I definitely remember some giggling over a character "being on the toilet" (not quite) when he gets gobbled up.
I was also nine and in the 3rd grade when the original came out. I saw it 5 times in the theater.

Sometimes it was good to be the only child of divorced parents.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holly sounds like a smoker. Man I used to be right there in front of the tv as a child to watch LotL. Still know that intro song!

Man Sid and Marty Krofft and their drugs were responsible for my upbringing. My mamaw would sit me in front of the tv for the day then go do her chores. "Here sweety, watch what ya want"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:58 pm I don't know why you don't want kids to see dinosaurs chomp people in half on the toilet, Rumpy. It seems over-protective. If kids don't see these things now in popular media, how will they react when they encounter them in real life?
Hahah :P Real life, yeah like that will ever happen :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m hoping that 1000 years from now, some scientist finds my DNA and creates a park filled with hepcats.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Don't pretend you're not leaving your DNA in the most obvious/preservable places possible now.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That reminds me, check your freezer and make sure the samples I sent you are still frozen. You know the deal, you let them get ruined and no “Sudy Petting Zoo” at Hepcat Park.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought those were freezer pops....