Stupid MS One Drive - need help controlling it

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Stupid MS One Drive - need help controlling it

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I wanted to start playing WL3 again, and tried to load up a prior save game but it wasn't there. I couldn't even create new save games and have them found by the game. Thought it was anti-virus related as noted in forums but that turned out not to be the problem. Was going to reinstall but wanted to copy the save games somewhere before doing so. But then the PC would not let me do this because I wasn't signed into the cloud, it said. Did some further research and it turned out that because I had not signed into MS One Drive, which was backing up My Documents folder where the game was located, I couldn't copy the files. I signed into OD, and now I could start the game and load older saves. Yeah, but what a stupid problem. Lots of game make saves in the My Games folder in My Documents, and who wants all that in One Drive.

So I want to disable some of the folders. But I got into OD settings and all it allows me to do is disable backup for the entire My Documents folder. I don't want that, I want to disable it for just some of the folders. Is there any way to do this?

Gah, I hate MS sometimes.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Re: Stupid MS One Drive - need help controlling it

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I can't speak to the problem, but I DESPISE the way OD is integrated into Windows. I hate that my "desktop" is somehow Onedrive/desktop But there's other stuff as well.

I went so far as to duplicate my Onedrive folder, and was going to try and test uninstalling to see what kind of crap would show up or be broken. It's messy, IMO, and it seems like MS wants it that way.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I typically delete and disable Microsoft OneDrive on my Windows systems, as I find it to be mostly counterproductive superfluous bloat. But if it's not obsolete, perhaps the following TechRepublic.com write-up may help:

How to modify the folders Microsoft OneDrive syncs to the cloud
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:34 pm I typically delete and disable Microsoft OneDrive on my Windows systems, as I find it to be mostly counterproductive superfluous bloat. But if it's not obsolete, perhaps the following TechRepublic.com write-up may help:

How to modify the folders Microsoft OneDrive syncs to the cloud
Thanks for posting that link. I'm an Office 365 user and OneDrive is backing up all sorts of stuff.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As far as I can tell with OD when you set it up you have to treat it like free ware. It wants to set things up you don't want and you need to pay close attention to tell it no no no no. Once you set up OD incorrectly, divorcing it from your machine is a pain. I want to say you need to back all your stuff up or figure out how your network storage works, then turn everything off which will delete your local storage for everything it was kind enough to force you to synchronize and it will retain a copy on the cloud, which you will then also need to purge (copy from).

Also, just by existing in a synching state you find files locked for use so, as example save games might not work for you and give you access denied.

Good luck! I haven't studied undoing OD nearly as well as I should. I haven't had the time but I have had more than a few problems with users doing things I am annoyed that they could do so easily.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:39 pm Once you set up OD incorrectly, divorcing it from your machine is a pain. I want to say you need to back all your stuff up or figure out how your network storage works, then turn everything off which will delete your local storage for everything it was kind enough to force you to synchronize and it will retain a copy on the cloud, which you will then also need to purge (copy from).

Also, just by existing in a synching state you find files locked for use so, as example save games might not work for you and give you access denied.
This is exactly our concern, Dude.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:14 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:39 pm Once you set up OD incorrectly, divorcing it from your machine is a pain. I want to say you need to back all your stuff up or figure out how your network storage works, then turn everything off which will delete your local storage for everything it was kind enough to force you to synchronize and it will retain a copy on the cloud, which you will then also need to purge (copy from).

This is exactly our concern, Dude.
I wish there was an easy answer to undo it but as far as I know there isn't. Walk through the MS pages carefully though and honestly I would back up the documents first anyway. Undoing they synch seems to delete your local files and I don't want to give advice that could cause catastrophic loss, especially when I'm not 100% on the advice in the first place.