Fedex Theft

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

malchior

Fedex Theft

Post by malchior »

Anyone have experience dealing with FedEx stealing contents of an order? I ordered a tablet from Best Buy. It was supposed to be delivered on Saturday - complete with a bogus Customer Not Available message. Instead it came today. The box was clearly damaged/opened and the tablet was replaced with a book.

Edit: I've obviously contacted Best Buy but curious if I should be filing a police report. The facility happens to be in town and the genius who stole the tablet managed to give me an item that had a complete shipping label on it so I can prove I have an item that was meant to be delivered to someone else. :)
gilraen

Re: Fedex Theft

Post by gilraen »

It's not a police issue. File a claim with FedEx.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:37 pm It's not a police issue. File a claim with FedEx.
It's a felony crime in NJ for sure. In any case, I called Fedex. They told me Best Buy has to do it. Fedex didn't seem to care I had someone else's package. I called Best Buy and the front line workers keep asking me to return the item. They don't seem to get the problem. It's so painful. I've asked for a Manager like 10 times and the guy is failing my turing test as he simply won't get off the script that says, "Return the item and we'll replace it". I can't return someone else's item. The whole thing is crazy.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

May be too late, but I'd just call Best Buy and say the package was never delivered.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is the corporate runaround. It is designed to simplify the process for routine issues, but breaks down completely when faced with something that is not routine.

I'd stick with Best Buy, and I'd push for escalation.

Consider also posting to the BB and FedEx Twitter feeds, phrased in a way that makes them look bad without insulting or attacking them (the phrasing is tricky) such that they will escalate on the spot.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm
gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:37 pm It's not a police issue. File a claim with FedEx.
It's a felony crime in NJ for sure.
Yeah, but you'll never be able to prove it.

If you use Twitter, you may have better luck with Best Buy if you contact them on Twitter instead (@BestBuySupport). They tend to have more, uh, competent reps manning the social media side of the house.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:51 pm This is the corporate runaround. It is designed to simplify the process for routine issues, but breaks down completely when faced with something that is not routine.

I'd stick with Best Buy, and I'd push for escalation.
I'm trying - good lord I'm trying. I'm saying ... please tell me what to do with the package that belongs to another FedEx customer. No response. Can you not answer? No response. Are you a human being? Yes but ... <insert stock response about tools and policies>. He repeated it four times. Will a supervisor call me? I've sent them details and they have yet to respond. Good lord. :)
Consider also posting to the BB and FedEx Twitter feeds, phrased in a way that makes them look bad without insulting or attacking them (the phrasing is tricky) such that they will escalate on the spot.
Yeah that's next. I get why the Fedex people steal things. They get days of head start on this.
gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:53 pmYeah, but you'll never be able to prove it.
Yeah I don't care too much about proving it. It doesn't hurt me. I thought I'd help them and help the other customer since I have their package. I suppose I could drop it off for FedEx but I don't know what to do with it. They are sending me a replacement no questions asked (or answered!). I guess crime pays because ... disinterest or something.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

because, cost of justice
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That happened to me once, but it was years ago. There were supposed to be 2 boxes delivered around Christmas, one of them an expensive game console for my kids. But that box was missing. I bought it off ebay, so at first I contested that I never received delivery. The seller provided me with a signature as proof of delivery. I figured out that the mother humper driver forged my signature on his pad (it was obvious) and someone (most likely him) took that box. Incredibly I knew the asshole driver from work. I could have gone DEFCON 4 and tried to get him fired, but threw up my hands in disgust and let it go.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm
It's a felony crime in NJ for sure. In any case, I called Fedex. They told me Best Buy has to do it. Fedex didn't seem to care I had someone else's package. I called Best Buy and the front line workers keep asking me to return the item. They don't seem to get the problem. It's so painful. I've asked for a Manager like 10 times and the guy is failing my turing test as he simply won't get off the script that says, "Return the item and we'll replace it". I can't return someone else's item. The whole thing is crazy.
Just send it back as you received it. Beat Buy will replace your item and maybe file with FedEx (but that's not your issue/job since Beat Buy is the FedEx customer, not you). If they bother, they'll inform them of the book with the label.

Presumably the book customer will also file a complaint and their vendor will bitch at FedEx.

Document everything with a ton of photos.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You may be overexplaining things.

And just forget the book or whatever that was put in the box, that's possibly gumming up the communication.

I would either just say you didn't receive the ITEM (not the package, because you did, and they will be able to track that of course), or that someone stole the item out of your package. Assuming I understand correctly that you received the PACKAGE (with your name and address on it) that your tablet should have been in, but instead it contained a book?

Dumb it down, simplify it into the easiest to understand terms.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fedex by me is a total nightmare so I'm not surprised. Every single day someone posts about a package being left at someone else's address or not showing up at all. We just ordered a couch from Burrow. I bet I only get half the couch as it's like 4-5 separate boxes. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im always surprised Best Buy is still around. To me they died 10 years ago or so same as Circuit City
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:43 pm Fedex by me is a total nightmare so I'm not surprised. Every single day someone posts about a package being left at someone else's address or not showing up at all. We just ordered a couch from Burrow. I bet I only get half the couch as it's like 4-5 separate boxes. :P
Wonder if that has anything to do with how much they outsource their delivery to IC's.

Go to any "routes for sale" type website, and you will undoubtedly see a few Fedex routes on there.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:45 pm Im always surprised Best Buy is still around.
Alternately known as the Amazon Showroom
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:31 pm You may be overexplaining things.
I wish that was the problem. It is clearly apathy. The stolen item doesn't matter to them, and me being in possession of someone's package isn't their problem (which is true) so they don't care. And all I asked was for them to connect me with someone who could help me. The clear question I heard was...why do you care? Fucking depressing.
I would either just say you didn't receive the ITEM (not the package, because you did, and they will be able to track that of course), or that someone stole the item out of your package. Assuming I understand correctly that you received the PACKAGE (with your name and address on it) that your tablet should have been in, but instead it contained a book?
This wasn't a problem tbh. They classify that as a "lost" item (like I never received it). Getting them to replace it was super easy (more on this in a second because it gets dumber). I kept asking a simple question - what should I do with the labeled item that I received instead? I couldn't get them to even answer that question. I asked for a supervisor - they could only request a call back. Cool.

I happened to need to return an Amazon item to Kohl which is across from Best Buy. I figured it wouldn't be hard to stroll in and see if I could talk to a store manager. I got the front line person who essentially ignored the 'what do I do with the item' question and confirmed I'm getting a replacement....of the whole order. The order was broken up into multiple shipments. So they are sending everything again. My response? What should I do with the extra things? His response? Keep them. What the fuck. I tried to talk to a manager but that went nowhere. Oh well. I've got all this documented so hopefully they don't try to stick me with it.
What I can't fix is that no one gives a damn. It apparently is crazy to think that I might want to just do the right thing and report a probable crime/get the package to the right recipient.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This seems to be the standard right now. They just say screw whatever you have and we'll resend you everything. I ordered a Goonies board game from Target. For 2 weeks the tracking didn't update so I went to cancel the order. As I used paypal they wouldn't refund it, but only give store credit. (Mental note don't use paypal with them). They "cancelled" it and gave me the credit. They also still mailed me the package and said keep it.

I ended up giving it away to someone at work as I felt bad returning it for even more store credit. The mail system is so broken that it's easier for them to just eat the loss and move on. So ya now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have ordered a couch through the mail.
Maybe I'll get two? :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:08 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:31 pm You may be overexplaining things.
I wish that was the problem. It is clearly apathy. The stolen item being in my possession isn't their problem so they don't care. That is the clear message I'm hearing.
This wasn't a problem tbh. They classify that as a "lost" item (like I never received it). Getting them to replace it was super easy (more on this in a second because it gets dumber). I kept asking a simple question - what should I do with the item that I received? I couldn't get them to even answer that question. I asked for a supervisor - couldn't do so.

I happened to need to return an Amazon item to Kohl which is across from Best Buy. I figured it wouldn't be hard to stroll in and see if I could talk to a store manager. I got the front line person who essentially ignored the 'what do I do with the item' question and confirmed I'm getting a replacement....of the whole order. The order was broken up into multiple shipments. So they are sending everything again. My response? What should I do with the extra things? His response? Keep them. What the fuck.
What I can't fix is that no one gives a damn. It apparently is crazy to think that I might want to just do the right thing and report a crime/get the package to the right recipient.
It costs more for them to try and troubleshoot who that book goes to than to just re-ship it to whoever it was supposed to go to.

Hell, Amazon THROWS AWAY half (or at least a VERY high percentage based on a recent report I heard on NPR) the stuff that is returned anyway. Even when it's brand new. Sad but true. The Algorithm Overlords have decreed that it's more efficient and less costly to just toss stuff than to do something else with it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:15 pmIt costs more for them to try and troubleshoot who that book goes to than to just re-ship it to whoever it was supposed to go to.
That's the fun part. There is no troubleshooting. It is clear bagged item with a FedEx label directly attached. I could drop it off to the person if I wanted.

I showed it to the Best Buy guy and said the tablet was clearly stolen. Does anyone care? (They did not). More interesting, is the catalog is going from local town A (Edison) to be delivered in local town B (New Brunswick) so we know the thieving happened local. The item has tracking that shows it never went out for delivery but is expected today. Assuming no one cares about the felony theft I still just want FedEx to come by and grab this package or whatever. Or tell me to burn it. Just tell me what to do with it. When I call FedEx they tell me to talk to BB. When I talked to BB they told me to talk to FedEx. Classic. :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:30 pmJust send it back as you received it. Beat Buy will replace your item and maybe file with FedEx (but that's not your issue/job since Beat Buy is the FedEx customer, not you). If they bother, they'll inform them of the book with the label.

Presumably the book customer will also file a complaint and their vendor will bitch at FedEx.

Document everything with a ton of photos.
Didn't see this but they won't give me an RMA label because it is a "lost" item. See above post for the unhelpful finger pointing at each other. I'll say it again but it is no mystery why stuff gets stolen. You can't even tell them it is happening. It is probably this way by design. Just pay out a certain amount of claims and be done with it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Absurdity level just went to 11. I guess I shook the tree enough. FedEx called me and said they want to send the driver out to me to validate the package contents. I ask the natural question, "What if they were the one who swapped the package out?"

"Uh well that is why we are investigating."

"You do realize you might be sending someone who committed the crime to my doorstep to cover up their own crime? Can I talk to a supervisor?"

On hold now. Good lord - this is nuts. This stuff can only happen to me. I find every crack in every system. The irony is that is my full-time job so this is quite interesting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pretty sure this is from the Bible: Surely ye whosoeverth seeketh mediocrity by day and by night forever amen shall find it everywhereth forthwith.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Perhaps. It feels more like not seeking mediocrity more like we're just awash in it. It is a miracle anything works. Once I got to their "resolution team" just now I did a ton of prompting along the way.

So would you perhaps like any of the tracking numbers for the case notes?

- Oh yeah - that'd be good. And we'll be sending someone to pick up that package from you.

Could you not send the original driver back to my house?

- Yeah that's seems like a good idea - we'll request another driver pick up that package.

Great. :doh:
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

You're far more patient than I would be. As soon as Best Buy verified they were sending out a replacement, I would have dropped the other package in a Fedex drop box.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What I needed was confirmation that sending them the package wouldn't affect the claim. Otherwise I would have.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:52 pm What I needed was confirmation that sending them the package wouldn't affect the claim. Otherwise I would have.
Once you have the replacement in hand it's olly olly oxen free.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've lost track of the 'no questions asked, we'll just send you replacements, do what you want with the others' responses I've gotten in the past decade.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Roman

Post by Roman »

While you are trying to work with Best Buy and FedEX - call your bank and initiate a chargeback for goods paid for but not received.
You'll get a credit back while all parties investigate.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Roman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:36 am While you are trying to work with Best Buy and FedEX - call your bank and initiate a chargeback for goods paid for but not received.
If Best Buy is sending him another , why would he cancel payment on it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:55 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:45 pm Im always surprised Best Buy is still around.
Alternately known as the Amazon Showroom
Best Buy is actually much easier than Amazon to order some things from these days. Their website hasn't been ruined by gobs of "Amazon Marketplace" BS.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Best Buy is actually pretty awesome in Canada. They aren't pushy at all unlike the stories I've often heard about from the States.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Roman

Post by Roman »

Unagi wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:56 am
Roman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:36 am While you are trying to work with Best Buy and FedEX - call your bank and initiate a chargeback for goods paid for but not received.
If Best Buy is sending him another , why would he cancel payment on it.
Shit sorry - didn't read all the posts. Great!
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Roman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:47 pm Shit sorry - didn't read all the posts. Great!
not to pick on you, but ... why do people do this?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

My experience is thar Best buy is pretty good usually...until you have a weird problem. :)
Roman

Post by Roman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:16 pm
Roman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:47 pm Shit sorry - didn't read all the posts. Great!
not to pick on you, but ... why do people do this?
I can't answer for other people but for me it was TLDR type of thing - I read a few replies 'thought' I got the gist of it and drew my six shooter :doh:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just to bump this - Best Buy silently cancelled the replacement. I was supposed to be receiving it Friday. I just spent 45 minutes to get told it 'has been escalated' for reshipment. That was the entire answer I got. Then they went immediately into thanks for calling. I was like...woah what the heck. I unsuccessfully tried to get a manager on the phone. I feel at this point having asked repeatedly to no avail to speak to someone human and in charge of anything that it appears that Best Buy is being run by one of the sick personality shards of Delamain. It's all web chats and non-existent escalations. I just want to be able to say to someone please look at what is happening. This can't be what you want the experience to be. If it is still not resolved in the next couple of days I'll probably go the charge back route.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can tell you from the other side of the coin we used to hate effing chargebacks. We would get scammers who stayed at our hotels who swore they were never there, even though we had a signed registration card. Credit card companies always side with the consumer.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Do you still have the book? I'd hold onto it untill BB resolves this. It's a key piece towards showing that you're not just trying to pull a fast one on BB.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, and here's one.

I ordered a dry erase easel and some markers at the office. We have to use Staples.

The order got delayed a few days but arrived today. It was the correct order but the invoice was for totally different items meant to ship to an auto shop in Iowa. It wasn't a Staples invoice but QuillPlus, which I assume is a Staples property but it was very strange.

MYT