Logitech Wingman - anybody still using?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Carpet_pissr

Logitech Wingman - anybody still using?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've got an old Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D, and was wanting to play Star Wars Squadrons since I read everywhere that a joystick is basically required (for a good experience).

I'm not sure if it was here, or elsewhere, but some time within the past 6-8 months, I saw a reference to a driver that would work with Windows 10.

Anybody using old harware like this still? Any LEGIT sites you know of where I can check for drivers? The one I came across with a driver is apparently a known Trojan spreader, so I'm wary.
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Logitech Wingman - anybody still using?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:12 pm I've got an old Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D, and was wanting to play Star Wars Squadrons since I read everywhere that a joystick is basically required (for a good experience).

I'm not sure if it was here, or elsewhere, but some time within the past 6-8 months, I saw a reference to a driver that would work with Windows 10.

Anybody using old harware like this still? Any LEGIT sites you know of where I can check for drivers? The one I came across with a driver is apparently a known Trojan spreader, so I'm wary.
Your best bet is likely to peruse flight sim forum sites and the like, e.g. here's a forum post from CombatAce.com that looks as if it may help:
CombatAce.com wrote:Force feedback working in Windows 10

I've been getting back into flight sims for a few months now, and I wanted a bit more immersion to my virtual flying experience; so I started to look into force feedback joysticks. Unfortunately, Windows 10 support for this feature is a little lacking, but with the help of a lot of online research and more than a little trial and error, I've got both Logitech Wingman Force 3d and Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D joysticks working well with various sims.

Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules by linking to 3rd party websites here, but I don't want to take credit for other people's work - I'm just trying to gather it in one place and this seems to be the best place for that.

First up, you need to be prepared to add some entries to the registry. Conveniently, these are located at pastebin.com:

For Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D: https://pastebin.com/0U2L7she

For Logitech Wingman Force 3D: https://pastebin.com/frRJL0vM

You need to download the registry file for your joystick, then import the downloaded file using the windows registry editor and reboot the pc.

After that, you need to locate and download the Logitech drivers from their ftp website which seems to hold a massive amount of legacy drivers that don't seem to be available through the support portal. You need the lgs510_x64.exe driver which is located here: ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/lgs510_x64.exe

Install the Logitech software which will prompt you to connect the joystick at one stage - make sure that the joystick is powered up via the powers supply before connecting the USB. After that you're away. You'll be able to test some of the functions by pressing buttons on the joystick and also calibrate they joystick, using the windows USB game controllers program.

It worked first time for me on 2 different PCs, one running WIN10PROx64 and the other WIN10HOMEx64.

I also found some generic force feedback test/diagnostic software which also worked for me after installing the above:

https://www.dirks-software.ca/downloads/ForceTest.exe

I hope this helps somebody out.

Obviously you're taking a risk by importing registry entries, so make sure you're happy with that before you proceed.
BTW, unless you're using an older browser, you'll probably need an FTP client like FileZilla to download the lgs510_x64.exe driver from Logitech's FTP site.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, awesome! Thank you so much
Montag

Post by Montag »

I bust out a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro on occasion.
words