Smoove_B

[Disney+] Ms. Marvel

Post by Smoove_B »

New MU series starting on 6/8/22

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Re: [Disney+] Ms. Marvel

Post by hepcat »

Looks like they finally understand what the rest of the world already knew: super stretchy powers are goofy.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To tie this into computer gaming, I was really surprised at how much fun it was to play as her in Marvel's Avengers. I need to go back and continue, but if they capture that kind of feel for the TV show? I think it'll work.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I imagine THIS is what necessitated her change in powers for the MCU.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In one of the recent Marvel properties, I was surprised to see them refer to their universe as Earth-616. Earth-616 is the comics universe! Get your own number, MCU.

Thankfully, the star of Ms Marvel knows what's up.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fandom
Earth-199999, known in-universe as Earth-616, is the designated universe number for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, a shared fictional universe which crosses over superhero films and television produced by Marvel Studios.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Need to watch this tonight, but early impressions are positive. As a NJ superhero (that's not the Toxic Avenger), this is good news to hear. I understand they've made some core changes to her powers (and how she receives them), but the general theme of the story is the same.

(there is too much new stuff on right now!)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Know absolutley nothing about Ms. Marvel going in. I found the first episode OK. It's a little too teen centric for my tastes so far. I do like the characters and main character. It does have a brief post credits scene, btw.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Ms. Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel characters. Her original arc by G. Willow Wilson is one of the most charming things you'll ever read.

I'm really hoping that the show is good!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do hope we get a Toxie and Ms. Marvel crossover.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ugh, another show I need to catch up on! I've already put older shows I was watching on hold to clear the backlog. I just caught up on The Boys, and haven't even started any of my others (I was thinking Obi-Wan tonight, or Stranger Things, but this just moved ahead.)

Are they dumping the whole series, or just one at a time? I actually hope it's one at a time - I enjoy cycling through several shows on different days instead of binging. It gives me something to look forward to, and I find that I retain it better later on (which makes sense - the human brain has a limited capacity for learning in bulk.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 pm Are they dumping the whole series, or just one at a time?
I am pretty sure Disney+ is always one at a time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I am not to keen on this one but my daughter wants to see this and for some reason she thinks this character will show up in a future MCU movie so we need to see it.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:57 pm I am not to keen on this one but my daughter wants to see this and for some reason she thinks this character will show up in a future MCU movie so we need to see it.
I am the opposite. This is the first Disney+ Marvel series I actually care anything about. I thought I would be interested in Moon Knight as I read it a bunch as a teenager, but it turns out I was not.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:57 pm I am not to keen on this one but my daughter wants to see this and for some reason she thinks this character will show up in a future MCU movie so we need to see it.
Your daughter is correct. Ms Marvel will be in next year's The Marvels, alongside Captain Marvel.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I wasn't all that interested but after playing her character in the Squeenix Avengers game, I gained a new appreciation for her role in the Marvel Universe. This show definitely has the potential to tap into the fanbase and yes, possibly bridge into the cinematic universe.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I thought the first episode was cute and fun. I really like the actress. Considering that she has almost no acting experience I thought she did a great job.

Edit: so regarding her powers, I feel it's totally fine what they are doing with the kind of Green Latern-esque energy projection. In the comics she comes in contact with some terragen (sp?) mist and that reveals her to be an Inhuman who can distort her body kind of like Mr. Fantastic, but with more focus on body transformation. Unfortunately, Marvel (mostly due to Ike Perlmuter) dropped the ball on the whole Inhumans thing so that's out. Also, non-ridiculous looking stretchybodyness is probably beyond the scope of a short term TV series budget.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The two lead teen actors (playing Kamala and Bruno) are just incredibly charming.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:47 pm The two lead teen actors (playing Kamala and Bruno) are just incredibly charming.
They are! And the family is so nice to Bruno. I don’t know the source material but I hope he doesn’t decide to use his intellect to make questionable choices.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed it. I do think it tilts more towards a younger crowd, but that makes sense given the character.

They did make a mistake though that exactly no one but me recognized.
Spoiler:
The food truck they walk by has a letter grade-based rating for their sanitary inspection. However in NJ we don't use letter grades to evaluate food safety.
If the production crew is looking for someone to help with set design details, let me know!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

You can be their professional New Jersey whisperer!

I really liked episode 1. Kamala is cast perfectly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I assume because of the location the show is set in that Kamala's parents and Bruno, her childhood friend, are in "waste management". It will be interesting to see how her superhero life interferes with her parent's jobs in "waste management". And her friend's career in "waste management".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would be funny if Trust a Bro shows up...
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:40 pm I assume because of the location the show is set in that Kamala's parents and Bruno, her childhood friend, are in "waste management". It will be interesting to see how her superhero life interferes with her parent's jobs in "waste management". And her friend's career in "waste management".
Some might consider this a spoiler.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice quinjet you got here, Stark. Be a shame if something…were to happen to it.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I really liked it. I'm currently watching Loki and Hawkeye as well, as I'm behind on my Marvel shows.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:47 pm Would be funny if Trust a Bro shows up...
In the end credits (the actual credits, not the post-credits) there's a Trust a Bro truck.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This is pure speculation based on the first episode.
Spoiler:
with all of the ant-man references in the first episode, one of the post credits scenes from the last episode will be Paul Rudd talking about the End Game battle on the This Hero Life podcast.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I recommend you spend five minutes and watch the short “A Fans Guide to Ms Marvel.” Iman is so stinking cute in this thing.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hentzau wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:05 pm I recommend you spend five minutes and watch the short “A Fans Guide to Ms Marvel.” Iman is so stinking cute in this thing.
Before watching the show?

I have no idea who Ms. Marvel is. Is the show true to the comics (assuming there are comics about her?)?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

There are comics about her, and while I haven't read many of them, it feels like they've done a good job adapting the feel of the story. I feel like Iman really embodies the hero fandom well(her real-life Marvel fandom certainly helps). And it feels like they're doing a good job contrasting that with her family's culture and heritage. A fair number of the character's creators/writers are involved in this TV series, right? Direting/executive producing and what not?

Anyway, I liked it a lot. The casting is great. I enjoyed the lighter, whimsical cinematography. And I tend to enjoy when I don't already know the source material (except for Moon Knight... what a snoozer, IMO). Looking forward to the next episode.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
hentzau wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:05 pm I recommend you spend five minutes and watch the short “A Fans Guide to Ms Marvel.” Iman is so stinking cute in this thing.
Before watching the show?

I have no idea who Ms. Marvel is. Is the show true to the comics (assuming there are comics about her?)?
I think the fans guide is more for fans of the show, but it does touch on Ms Marvel from the comics.

There is an older (2020-2021 I think?) series of hour long documentaries about Marvel comics. The episode on Ms Marvel there does a really good job of diving into the character and why she’s beloved. I can’t remember the name of the series now, but I recommend it.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So, just FYI, but for anyone with Amazon Prime the Ms. Marvel comics Volume 1 is free via Prime Reading on the Kindle app.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:13 am
The series so far is very true to the comics character's personality, motivations, setting, friends, and family. Her powers and their origin is somewhat different.

I think the comic, at least the original run written by G. Willow Wilson, is fantastic.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still enjoying this, though it's my least favorite D+ Marvel show so far. (That's hardly an insult.) I like the characters more than the plot so far.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm really enjoying this so far. Of the Disney (non-Agents of SHIELD, non-Netflix) MCU series, I'd put it behind Loki, Wandavision, and What If, but ahead of Hawkeye and Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did not see the ending of the second episode coming at all.

The series (so far) definitely has its own distinct style/feel. I don't normally notice these things, but for this show it's pretty hard to miss. The lighting, the scene transitions, the art, etc... it definitely works.

Also, her parents holding Bon Jovi in high esteem? Definitely on target for a NJ based show. It's potentially a religion here for some. :)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah this show definitely stands out as being pretty different from the other Marvel stuff. (Not as different as WandaVision of course!) I find the school stuff somewhat tedious, but generally I am enjoying it. I really like her family and friends. But, I really want them to ramp up the super hero parts which I am sure will happen.
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

JCC wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 am Yeah this show definitely stands out as being pretty different from the other Marvel stuff. (Not as different as WandaVision of course!)
WandaVision was also set in New Jersey, ergo all Marvel properties should be NJ-based from now on!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:Also, her parents holding Bon Jovi in high esteem? Definitely on target for a NJ based show. It's potentially a religion here for some.
I recently visited (not by choice) the Bon Jovi-themed rest area with the Bon Jovi hologram. It was by far the most WTF thing I saw in New Jersey, besides being unable to pump my own gas. Which is just plain bizarre.

So far my life experiences with New Jersey have met every expectation I had of that state. :D