Hogwarts Legacy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Hogwarts Legacy

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Dramatist

Re: Hogwarts Legacy

Post by Dramatist »

I’m pretty interested in this. I just tend to not pay much attention until things are released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it an rpg?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3rd person caster
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks neat. But a what?? Is it multiplayer? Seems like the perfect thing to be mp.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm a bit excited about that too.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:52 pm Looks neat. But a what?? Is it multiplayer? Seems like the perfect thing to be mp.
Thankfully no MP.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm only interested if you have to sit through hour+ long lectures as part of the game.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hogwart's Bully.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

now THAT i would play.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Releases next week. Review embargo expires 4:00PM Pacific on Monday, 2/6.

If this gets decent reviews, I’m all in.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm likely in regardless of reviews (I mean unless they are forspoken bad :P I'm not that desperate). I am currently in a gaming desert, desperate for anything to play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not a Harry Potter fan, so I'm not into it.

But is it just me or is there some really weird uncanny valley thing going on with those character models. Like compared to the Witcher 3 they all look very... unnatural.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I like Harry Potter and I like open world, so I'm also all-in if this gets decent reviews. I don't even need stellar, just "pretty good." I'm currently close to finishing up Red Dead Redemption so I'm in the market for another open world game.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 pm Not a Harry Potter fan, so I'm not into it.

But is it just me or is there some really weird uncanny valley thing going on with those character models. Like compared to the Witcher 3 they all look very... unnatural.
I don't think you need to be a Harry Potter fan.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like the HP stuff but Ive never read a book or seen a movie. Just clips and such from the movies. Wonder If Id like it? Seems like I would.

Also...

Hogwarts Legacy's main story is more than 40 hours long reveals lead designer
It might even take upwards of a 100 hours if you complete all side activities.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hmmm might actually take me the weekend to finish it then. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm definitely in - I actually bought it via Green Man and will theoretically be playing it Tuesday.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I watched a preview of it on YouTube earlier in the week and it looked promising. I love the books and movies, and am certainly intrigued if it gets good reviews/buzz. Having said that, I doubt I will be in early on. I already have too many games I am ignoring.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 pm I'm definitely in - I actually bought it via Green Man and will theoretically be playing it Tuesday.
Can’t wait to hear your take on this. The more I read about it, the more excited I am to play it.

My daughter and I are going to do a Harry Potter movie marathon tomorrow. She’s a huge Harry Potter fan, and this may be the first game we actually play together.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:52 pm
baelthazar wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:12 pm Not a Harry Potter fan, so I'm not into it.

I don't want to rain on any parades here and to each his own, but I actively dislike Harry Potter. Despite having seen all the movies in the theater, I guess I kept thinking I would change my mind. I did the same thing with the Twilight series.

That said, I hope you all enjoy the game. The idea for open world at Hogwarts is a cool one.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:32 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 pm I'm definitely in - I actually bought it via Green Man and will theoretically be playing it Tuesday.
Can’t wait to hear your take on this. The more I read about it, the more excited I am to play it.
Yep will remember to share some thoughts. I watched a few of the early preview videos that came out last week and that was the clincher for me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I will be pretty surprised if this isn't well received. I've seen so much already from previews. If a game is really going to suck they don't give reviews an hour to play it weeks before launch.

The combat looks really fun. The attention to detail on the castle seems top tier. The only thing is if the story sucks. I think that's possible, but I would still have fun with everything else.

My daughter and I are both dying to play. I think we have to just both each buy a copy.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's funny though, because my FB feed discussion of this game is dominated by people ragging on it due to the whole ongoing JK Rowling anti-trans fiasco.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

baelthazar wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:52 pm

I don't want to rain on any parades here and to each his own, but I actively dislike Harry Potter. Despite having seen all the movies in the theater, I guess I kept thinking I would change my mind. I did the same thing with the Twilight series.

That said, I hope you all enjoy the game. The idea for open world at Hogwarts is a cool one.
The movies aren't very good, especially compared with the books.

Both you and Daehawk should at least read the first book.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:57 pm It's funny though, because my FB feed discussion of this game is dominated by people ragging on it due to the whole ongoing JK Rowling anti-trans fiasco.
Putting money in her pocket isn't great, but she did create one of the most popular franchises of the millennium so far. What benefit is denying myself really going to bring? Justification, there, I did it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you dig deep enough a lot of stuff you love is made by shitty people. Unless it's truly aggregious I just can't waste my time worrying about it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Octavious wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:48 pm If you dig deep enough a lot of stuff you love is made by shitty people. Unless it's truly aggregious I just can't waste my time worrying about it.
Is Rowling really a “shitty” person, though? What did she say that was so egregious?

Actually, so as not to distract from the game itself, I’ll take this over to R&P.

Edit: Scratch that. Just searched R&P for a topic and saw it was pretty well covered with lots of differing views on this in the Political Randomness thread, so no need to revisit. Not like anything’s changed.

But in case anyone’s interested in what this is all about and hasn’t paid all that much attention: A Complete Breakdown of the JK Rowling Transgender Comments Controversy
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My thoughts on it:

Rowling created a universe bigger than herself. And as reprehensible as her comments/beliefs are, millions of people have been positively impacted by the universe she created.

My brother hosts a successful Harry Potter podcast he started before Rowling's comments came to light. He's been to conventions and talked to people of all genders, races, religions. By and large the Potter community has chosen to rebel against Rowling's beliefs not by abandoning the universe they love, but by transforming it via their effort to make it as positive and inclusive as they possibly can.

So yes, I could look at it as "buying the game puts money in Rowling's pocket" so I shouldn't do it. But it also puts money in the pockets of hundreds of people that worked on the game that believe in the positivity and inclusion of the Potter universe.

All that said, I'm still waiting for the review embargo to lift, but at this point I'm fairly convinced from previews I've watched that I'll grab it day one.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

IGN 9/10...Some performance issues on the PS5, but they sound fixable and the rest I don't care about. Average story and low enemy variety. I'm preordering today to play it tomorrow.

86/100 40 plus reviews. They did it. A freaking HP rpg that's good. So stoked.

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

And... preordered. (Fextralife's YT video pushed me over the top.)

FWIW, I've read the first six HP books (and enjoyed them mildly), and watched (and slept through parts of) each of the first three movies.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:58 am FWIW, I've read the first six HP books (and enjoyed them mildly)
Too YA?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:35 pm Rowling created a universe bigger than herself. And as reprehensible as her comments/beliefs are, millions of people have been positively impacted by the universe she created.
Not to get into the politics, but I sort of agree. I have many friends who like Harry Potter and did so before Rowling became a gender pundit. I mean, you have the moniker Yellow King, and as a similar fan of the Lovecraft mythos - I have to separate that Lovecraft himself was a misogynist, racist, anti-Semite (and Chambers was less so, but also a man of his time). The trick is that other people have done so much interesting stuff in the mythos after these people. The same is true of Harry Potter - others have taken it farther and better.

That said, and I'm not going to get into it here, but the goblins are off-putting in their depiction here in this game (and in some of the other literature). So I hope that the game takes the franchise into new places and my snap judgement is wrong.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I could see a Harry Potter MMO. Attend classes to learn stuff. get your first wand. Solves quests and mysteries in both the magic world and the muggles. Play with friends as wizards..hell ya. I couldn't watch the entire video...it was making me drool for this game and i have neither the money nor the hardware to play it in its glory.

Seems you guys should all go get it now..run!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you are on Xbox you can play now if you have the deluxe version.. Just switch your region to NZ and restart the Xbox. Easy peasy. This will not work on the PS5.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Some people (mostly in Europe) are freaking out because the Digital Deluxe gives 72-hours early access. They thought it'd automatically be midnight their local time. From what I can tell (and Steam is not helpful here AT ALL) is that it'll be 1800 GMT (1 PM EST) tomorrow worldwide on Steam.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well the timings are all over the place. PS5 unlocks at midnight ET. We played for a few hours only doing a couple of quests as I know I'll have to replay it on my copy anyway. So far I give it a major thumbs up. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. Super detailed, encourages you to wander off the beaten path. Collectables that are fun to collect... To think this is their first real AAA game is nuts.

I did see some performance issues where it chugs a bit, but it's just for a second or two and doesn't seem like anything to be super worried about. It certainly is something I would expect to get fixed a bit down the line.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I pre-ordered the deluxe version on the PS5 after seeing all the good reviews. I'll fire it up in the morning after it unlocks.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:52 pmWell the timings are all over the place. PS5 unlocks at midnight ET.
The biggest problem is the information gap. Steam's listing only mentions the 72-hour early access if you click in the description and it isn't obvious anywhere what the official Steam launch date is. *Shrug*.
We played for a few hours only doing a couple of quests as I know I'll have to replay it on my copy anyway. So far I give it a major thumbs up. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. Super detailed, encourages you to wander off the beaten path. Collectables that are fun to collect... To think this is their first real AAA game is nuts.

I did see some performance issues where it chugs a bit, but it's just for a second or two and doesn't seem like anything to be super worried about. It certainly is something I would expect to get fixed a bit down the line.
I'm not hearing any impressions from any PC folks yet so curious to see it personally. However from console land, it sounds like it's not only the real deal as a game but it might be released in good shape.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The hints I've heard are that the PC version is not very optimized. I want to play it on the PS5 anyway so no big shakes for me. Seems like they purposely made sure there weren't many pc codes passed out.