Hogwarts Legacy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Hogwarts Legacy

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:27 pm I could see a Harry Potter MMO. Attend classes to learn stuff. get your first wand. Solves quests and mysteries in both the magic world and the muggles. Play with friends as wizards..hell ya. I couldn't watch the entire video...it was making me drool for this game and i have neither the money nor the hardware to play it in its glory.

Seems you guys should all go get it now..run!

When I used to work at Broderbund (Carmen Sandiego, etc.) I remember seeing Sorceror's Stone on the NYT bestseller shelves at Crown Books. I was curious so I picked it up.

Read it twice that night, I enjoyed it so much (even went looking for book 2, found out it was released in the UK, but months away from a US release, so I ordered it from Amazon UK and have the UK version ;) ).

When I went to work the next day, I hunted up the person in charge of product/rights acquisition, left her a copy and said we HAVE to get the rights to do educational software based on this.

Unfortunately, that was right with Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary was in the middle of single-handedly gutting Broderbund, the Learning Company, Mindscape and the entire educational software industry for decades and it never happened (heck, we never got another Carmen game, etc.). Most of our coworkers had already been laid off, and were hired back on temp jobs to get product out before Christmas, and both of us could see the writing on the wall and left shortly thereafter.

I still wish we could have done that - HP for real educational software would have been great (we did a lot of really fun educational games), and 25 years later I'm still pissed at that weasel O'Leary.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Steam Pre-load appears to be a go if you have Digital Deluxe.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

These reviews and the gameplay vids are making even a HP hater like me interested...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I caved and went for the Digital Deluxe (PS5). I almost never pay full price for a game these days, much less the deluxe version, but stellar reviews + open world + IP I like = couldn't resist. Normally I wouldn't care about the 72-hour early access but I happen to have a couple of nights free over the next three days that I normally wouldn't have.

I'm still kind of regretting spending that much on a game when I'm normally a "wait for it to hit $30" guy, but there's only a couple of other games releasing this year that I'm definitely buying Day One (Diablo IV and Final Fantasy XVI).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The FOMO is strong with this one! :lol: Curious to see if the PS5 version runs better. FYI there's a balanced mode. For the consoles... If you have a high refresh rate TV/Monitor if plays at 1440P 40FPS. They have done this in other games and I have found it's a fantastic option. There's a huge difference between 30 and 40 fps in terms of the fluidity. It's pretty much on par with 60FPS. So give it a shot if you can't stand 30 FPS and don't like the downgrade to 60 FPS.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ve never really been a Harry Potter fan. I’ve listened to bits and pieces of the books and watched the first couple movies, which I thought were mostly terrible, although I heard the latter ones get better. I’m not against the IP per se, I’ve just never found it particularly interesting.

That said, I may pick this up at some point as I’m always a sucker for fantasy based RPGs. It looks fairly fun, and I’ll be interested to see if/how it clicks with someone with no attachment to the IP. Certainly not in a hurry though, and will wait for a sale.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'd probably be a day one, but I'm deep into Midnight Suns right now, and still want to get to Stray., but I'll play it, tho it would be great if it came to gamepass by the time I'm ready!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Octavious wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 pm The hints I've heard are that the PC version is not very optimized. I want to play it on the PS5 anyway so no big shakes for me. Seems like they purposely made sure there weren't many pc codes passed out.
As always, PC gamers get the back seat. :/
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:18 am
The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:58 am FWIW, I've read the first six HP books (and enjoyed them mildly)
Too YA?
Nah, that's not generally an issue. I just sort of gravitated away from the story. If anything it wasn't really original enough to grab me. I read as deep into the series because it was of interest within the family.

And the first three movies were absolute garbage. (I hear they got better, but I'm a big Jeff V with my fiction. If it loses me, it loses me forever.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played about 2 hours on the PS5 this morning. So far i can say this game is really good. The production quality is up there with Sony first party games. The graphics, sound, animation, story and world design are all AAA quality. I can easily say this is the best looking Unreal 4 game I've played.

The opening tutorial is so well done that other devs really need to play it to learn what a tutorial can be.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I only watched the first movie, so no big fan, but I watched a Before You Buy video and it seems pretty sweet. I need a new PS5 title, so will probably pick it up after Octopath Traveler 2, especially if it ever goes on sale.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm quite a fan of the third installment but the first two were pretty bad. Especially the 2nd which has a 3rd act that could used as a replacement for Sominex and is overloaded with English ham in the human form of Kevin Branagh. I saw the 1st two in the theaters and never again aside from versions with the Rifftrax commentary. I do recommend them since they do a good job at injecting entertainment into bad movies.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:00 am I played about 2 hours on the PS5 this morning. So far i can say this game is really good. The production quality is up there with Sony first party games. The graphics, sound, animation, story and world design are all AAA quality. I can easily say this is the best looking Unreal 4 game I've played.

The opening tutorial is so well done that other devs really need to play it to learn what a tutorial can be.
Is there any preference between the PC version and the console version? For me it would be PC vs. XBox.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We don't know enough about the PC version yet. The few PC reviews I found talk exclusively about the game and don't mention performance. The requirements aren't off the wall for the PC version either so it probably is ... ok.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think there's going to be a ton of complaining from the PC base come this afternoon. I see reports of people running 4090's and having performance issues. I'm pretty confident it will get fixed at some point, but if it were me I would go PS5/XBOX/PC in that order based on what I have read. FYI the PS5 version has an exclusive quest line that you won't be able to get for a year anywhere else. Which is super lame, but I have a PS5...

I played with the different modes on the PS5 with no VRR (PS5 isn't as friendly about VRR support as Xbox so no VRR for me with my monitor)

1440P monitor

Quality (Runs decent, but certainly feels a bit chunky with the camera sometimes)
Quality RT (Runs worse than quality and honestly I think RT is not worth using 99.999% in any game)
Performance (Runs really well with a slight gfx downgrade)
Balanced (Runs really well and looks very similar to Quality. This is what I'm playing on)
HRR (I didn't try I don't know why you would want to kill the gfx to get a high refresh rate. This isn't COD)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'll have impressions this evening from a 3080 running 1440p and a 1660 Super at 1080p

I'm super non-critical when it comes to performance. It has to be glaringly bad for me to really notice, so I'm still hopeful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The PC Gamer review-in-progress mentions a couple of technical issues with the PC version, but it's just things like annoying load times in certain circumstances and pop-in, nothing very serious. They devote many more words to their Rowling angst than to technical issues.

Hogwarts Legacy review-in-progress: It'd be a lot easier to dismiss Hogwarts Legacy if it weren't so good
I was over 20 hours into Hogwarts Legacy before it revealed that, on top of being an expansive RPG with skill trees, wizard combat, crafting, environmental puzzles, and loads of sidequests, it's also a quaint home decorating game with a splash of zoo management. This is a much larger game than I think anyone was anticipating and I'm continually surprised by how good each individual element is so far.

It certainly suffers from a meandering start and distracting technical issues, but now that I've been set free to explore the entirety of Hogwarts and, shockingly, miles of countryside surrounding it, I'm enjoying Hogwarts Legacy in the same ways I did The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2: moseying across a convincingly rendered world at my own pace, letting myself disappear into a character I'm increasingly invested in.
Some persistent, but not disruptive, technical issues are also wearing on me here and there. Most noticeable are the brief, yet frequent pauses at the doors of Hogwarts while the game is loading whatever's on the other side. Loads have never lasted more than two seconds on my setup (RTX 3060, Ryzen 7 5700, NvME SSD) and only happen on doors leading outside, but it's a blemish on an otherwise immersive world.

At this pre-release moment before a presumed day one patch, Hogwarts Legacy also has a significant pop-in problem. Arrive at a location via broom slightly faster than the game anticipated and students will fade into existence. Coasting high above the countryside can also confuse the engine as it spawns and despawns entities below you. Render distances and streaming budgets are technical hurdles that most open world games control by keeping players grounded and curating lines of sight, but Hogwarts doesn't have that luxury.
If I was interested in the game, I don't think the issues they describe would dissuade me from giving it a try.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'll fill in for 4K on a 4090. I'm also less critical of frame rate. I survived a run through Kingdom Come which is probably the least optimized game I've ever played. CPU was running 10% and the GPU never crested above 60% with frames pushing into the low 30s at times. Horrendous.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Is this a VR game?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
malchior

Post by malchior »

naednek wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:17 pm Is this a VR game?
Nope.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've never been a huge Harry Potter fan. Everyone I know loves the books and I saw the midnight release for every movie. I've even read the first book or two in the series. I've just never been drawn into the franchise.

That said, this game looks like a lot of fun. And my wife is a huge Harry Potter fan, so I imagine I'll be getting this at some point whenever it goes on sale.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm a delicate flower when it comes to framerate. Which is why RT is pretty much useless to me this generation. Balanced runs at 1440P at 40 FPS. It's really kind of surprising how well 40 FPS is, but there's some weird math that explains why. I think I got 4 hours total yesterday and I had to drag myself away from it. There are certainly some glitches that I see, but nothing that really is a big deal. They really could have provided a better character creator. There isn't a super lot of difference in the models to pick from. Eh..

malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:44 pmBalanced runs at 1440P at 40 FPS. It's really kind of surprising how well 40 FPS is, but there's some weird math that explains why.
A lot of gaming monitors can run at 120Hz so 40 matches up evenly with the intervals (less tearing). Essentially if it gets a steady supply of frames on time it will show them 3 times in a row and it will often appear smoother.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Steam didn't unlock on time so people are having a proper freak out.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got to play around 90 minutes today at lunch so some quick impressions:

- Game looks and runs great on PS5 - I'm using Balanced like Octavious on a VRR TV.

- The world detail is really incredible. You do truly feel like you're walking around Hogwarts, but in a way you've never seen it before since the movies only showed partial glimpses. If you've ever been to the Wizarding World at Universal Studios, you kind of know the feeling of being immersed in that world. The game captures that perfectly. It's hard to describe to someone not a fan of the IP, but it's like getting a new book or a new movie in the franchise that you've never seen before. And because it's a game world you're walking around in, it almost feels richer than a new book or movie.

- As already pointed out, the character creation is extremely disappointing. You're really locked in to a narrow range of predetermined models, and no matter how far outside the lines you try to go, you'll ultimately wind up creating a variation on the same wonky model. I created a female character that looks a lot like Donna from That '70s Show (not intentionally), and she approaches normalcy. At least until she animates during cut scenes. So far, this has been the single biggest flaw of the game, but it's a nitpick and not a deal breaker.

- One thing the game does REALLY well is A) Introduce a new concept B) Invite you to use that concept yourself with some handholding C) Reinforce the concept by requiring you to use it on your own. This is consistent with new spells, new features (like the guidebook), and new collectible options. It's such a great way to teach the game and feels very natural.

- Combat is fun and I found it challenging even in the first couple of fights. And I haven't even progressed past the "one attack spell, one defense spell" stage.

- Judging from the guidebook, there's going to be a LOT to do in this game - collectibles, discovering gear, tons of challenges, etc. I can already tell this is a game I'm going to want to try to 100%.

- Like Octavious, it was hard to pull myself away and go back to work. You know when a game "clicks," and this one had me within minutes. And I'm still in the "boring" beginning stages before the game world really opens up.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I actually was starting to write up this morning that I got the same feeling that I did when I went into Universal. It's all in your face super detailed stuff that makes me feel like a kid a candy store. It's exactly what I was hoping for aside from the character creation. Which sucks but isn't the end of the world.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:28 pm Ya I actually was starting to write up this morning that I got the same feeling that I did when I went into Universal. It's all in your face super detailed stuff that makes me feel like a kid a candy store. It's exactly what I was hoping for aside from the character creation. Which sucks but isn't the end of the world.
I'm not a huge Potter fan, but I did take the kids to Universal 2 years ago so they could enjoy the stuff there. I can say I had a decent time at Universal, but this game is so much more immersive for me. It's all so detailed, with everything going on in the castle to the opening fly over of the campus area. The Devs put a lot of effort into the details.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

FYI if you are having issues with Steam.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Quick update - they've fixed the Steam release day issues (it had something to do with WB/Avalanche not updating the release date on retail keys).

Anyway, a quick report on performance. It's actually excellent so far though I had some initial qualms. The picture was breaking up badly. You don't have access to all the settings until you're into the game. It was set with some weird stuff. It had DLSS Frame Generation On but capped the frame rate at 60 FPS. That is a bad idea with DLSS 3. I uncapped it and am getting 120+ FPS in the starter section so far. Picture quality is excellent and I agree this game so far looks magnificent. It's also obvious from the jump that they are keying off choices from the movies and aimed for extreme high quality.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I bought it, and really only played at lunch on my PC. Running the video settings on Ultra.
Specs:
Win 11 Home 64 bit
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6
32 GB Ram
2047MB Geforce RTX 3080

And it ran smooth as butter. The intro scenes were fluid and nice, and the movements of the main character were fine when I interacted. Did not do anything fun, as I had to go back to work. :)

But character design and everything seems great.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice I was seeing a lot of rumbling yesterday. Now I feel bad that I bought it on the Xbox for my daughter. She would have been better off with the PC version as she has a pretty nice computer. 1st world problems. Now she will have to put the Xbox in her room to play. The horror.

malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I don't seem to be having the "pause" going outside either that was mentioned in the PC Gamer review. I think we're going to see a decent amount of variation depending on the components with this one but I'm definitely not seeing anything that leads me to believe the PC port has issues. At least not in the first few hours.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I can't believe that this company that never had a big AAA game was able to pull this off. I kept on watching videos and thinking it looks damn good, but something has to be wrong with it... I mean I'm sure it's far from perfect, but to pull off a major licensed game is always a crapshoot. I should be able to get a few hours in tonight. Woo

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A couple more observations with a couple more hours of play:

- As lackluster as the character customization is, I'm really enjoying the gear system. It's very simple, but I kind of like that it's so streamlined. You only have two stats, defense and offense, and hovering over a piece of gear tells you exactly whether it increases or decreases those stats. Makes it super easy to figure out what to equip and what to get rid of.

But the real joy of the system is that you can earn "appearances" from completing challenges. Those appearances can be applied over any of your gear without affecting the stats. So if you have some goofy top hat that looks ridiculous but has great stats, you can toggle it invisible or apply a new appearance to it. I know gear cosmetics it not a new idea, but to me it feels much more useful in this game as customizing your wardrobe goes a long way to shoring up the deficiencies of the character model customization.

- Hogwarts feels like a REAL place in this game. The designers really went the extra mile to ensure that every single hall and room looks unique and is so full of detail that it feels like an actual location. Even early in the game if you just want to go exploring and walk up 20 flights of stairs to see what's at the top of a tower, you can do so.

They've also packed the place with little hidden secrets - some of which count towards challenges which reward XP. And some are just fun animations you can trigger. It really helps instill a sense of wonder, and you feel like you never know what's around the next corner. There is a nice fast travel system which is necessary because Hogwarts is HUGE, but I often found myself not even using it because it's so much fun just walking through the school and looking at stuff.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I again had to pull myself away so as to not lose my job. Utterly fantastic. If I had to rate it right now about 6-8 hours in I would give it a 9 easily. My only issue is that I find the combat quite difficult. So many different button presses and I kept missing blocks.

Almost zero issues and I find it performs really really well in balanced mode. I got the broom before I went to sleep. So much fun. Felt like I was in the ride Soarin. Seriously this game is ridiculous.

I think I might like this more than Elden Ring. We'll see if the open world glut catches up to me. But damn it actually beat my expectations. That's rare .

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:pop:

As a Harry Potter fan, I'm following this thread with strong interest.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:42 am My only issue is that I find the combat quite difficult. So many different button presses and I kept missing blocks.
I’ve seen this in a couple reviews. Does the game have different difficulty levels?

Not interested in “Harry Potter and the Darkest of Souls”, but may give it a go if the combat can be dialed back somewhat.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pro tip. Any clothing you collect even if you sell it can be swapped back in as a cosmetic option. So if you find a sweet sweet hat. Sell it when you find something stronger as you can still wear it. On the PS5 it's the square button to change what is displayed on the character.

RMC

Post by RMC »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:47 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:42 am My only issue is that I find the combat quite difficult. So many different button presses and I kept missing blocks.
I’ve seen this in a couple reviews. Does the game have different difficulty levels?

Not interested in “Harry Potter and the Darkest of Souls”, but may give it a go if the combat can be dialed back somewhat.
In the PC version there is, and I am using keyboard and mouse, and the combat is a little difficult for me as well on Normal. But I am not a twitch gamer anylonger, and I can get through it for the most part without changing it to easy. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
malchior

Post by malchior »

The combat definitely has a timing component to it but they give you a hint each time you are in danger of being hit. And reasonable time (IMO) to block or dodge. The first couple of fights were tricky but I think it's interesting without requiring Elden Ring-like timing.