Octopath Traveler I & II for All Platforms

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Baroquen

Re: Octopath Traveler I & II for All Platforms

Post by Baroquen »

Aaaaannd... done. I think.
  • I finished all four chapters for all 8 characters.
  • Got irritated with the secret job/shrine/bosses so I'm skipping them. (Even reading up on the abilities didn't wow me).
  • Polished off some of the minor character driven side-quests (Ogen, Lianna, Mikk and Makk, etc.). It was nice to play their "epilogues", and some of the loot was sweet.
  • Completed the setup quests for the endgame.
But, I think I'm stopping here. From what I've skimmed online, I'm not interested in the characters of the endgame. (Why would I be? They weren't involved much with any of the eight unrelated stories.) The final boss sounds like it would be a royal pain. I don't want to grind for it. And I don't want to hyper-strategize only to get stomped for my efforts. (If H'aanit's boss and the Balogar are any indication, this would just annoying/frustrating - not challenging/fulfilling). And to top it off, the finish doesn't sound particularly special either.

In fact, my disillusionment regarding this endgame is probably going to stop me from playing the remaining handful of sidequests that I might have found interesting, but now, I'm just ready to wash my hands of it. (Likewise - I probably will not drop money on OTII and Live a Live goes toward the back of the to-do list just for the structural narrative similarities. :) ).

Looking back at other games (especially in recent years), I often don't play the 'bonus' type content after completing the story. I never use "New Game+" options. I only go so far with Disgaea games after the "finish". I didn't tackle FF or DQ bonus dungeons. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised to be giving this endgame a pass. I was just looking forward to it as I hoped it would tie things together. But as often happened with this roller coaster of a game, it kind of disappointed. With 70+ hours in, I definitely got my money's worth. But when comparing it to most of my other recent RPGs, I can't say I prefer it to hardly any of them. A miss for me, overall. (Though I still want to like it more than I did).

Onto Trails in the Sky SC, unless some other RPG grabs my attention first.