Diablo 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Diablo 4

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:20 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:58 am I could’ve sworn my werewolf claw attack has its own damage value. I assumed that was replacing my weapon entirely. :?
Check the attack value, unequip your weapons, check the attack value again. You will notice a drastic change, I promise.
Pretty sure this is how it worked in DII as well, but druid never held much appeal for me. As Coop said, this allows itemization to still be important to transformed characters. I think things like health drain/vampirism/life leech/whateverthehellitscalled worked in animal form as well. Been a long time though, maybe I'm misremembering.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Really enjoying this, it feels a lot darker that 2&3.

Was doing my druid class stronghold even tho I am a bit underlevelled for it ( by about 3, tho it might scale to level). Got smoked by a mob which trapped me, then rezzed nearby and town portaled back and leveled up some gear and came back. Had some exciting battles for the first 2 of the three objectives and then hit the 3rd, started getting mobbed in the hellish landscape and saw the boss behind all the low- medium minions.
Spoiler:
it was a freaking BALROG!!!
So totally cool, but I definitely pulled a Brave Sir Robin and ran away! Scampered up a ledge and hit the town portal before I ran out of health potions.

I think my earth/ wind build on my Druid is a bit squishy, but it does keep things exciting...
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:21 amI think my earth/ wind build on my Druid is a bit squishy
You need to add the third element and upgrade him to the Earth, Wind, & Fire druid.
That Badeya spell really knocks 'em on their ass.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:21 am Was doing my druid class stronghold even tho I am a bit underlevelled for it ( by about 3, tho it might scale to level).
I believe the strongholds are always set to 2 levels higher than your current level.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brian wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:33 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:21 amI think my earth/ wind build on my Druid is a bit squishy
You need to add the third element and upgrade him to the Earth, Wind, & Fire druid.
That Badeya spell really knocks 'em on their ass.
Might need thorns for the horns! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Message to myself:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Some technical questions:

When you find an item that says cannot be used by your class, how do you know what class can use it?

How do you quickly change weapon sets (say from bow to blades)?

Do thorns work for all classes?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

For the OO clan I asked to join - Halfwaystoic1785 is me
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Had my first encounter with the Butcher. At level 27 I was deep in the Druid dungeon trying to kill one more skeletal construct. I broke down a wall and out came the Butcher. I ran like hell and he was right on my ass, so no kiting. Then I climbed a cliff face and he couldn't follow. But he was in range of my seeker arrows and I thought I was going to get a massive cheese kill. But after a few hits the bastard teleported out. :evil:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’ve played Diablo in the past solo and it’s a little disconcerting with cross platform play enabled to see all these randos roaming around town. One of them followed me to my stash and just stood there like a creep. :shock: :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:29 pm I’ve played Diablo in the past solo and it’s a little disconcerting with cross platform play enabled to see all these randos roaming around town. One of them followed me to my stash and just stood there like a creep. :shock: :lol:
It was his stash, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 pm
$iljanus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:29 pm I’ve played Diablo in the past solo and it’s a little disconcerting with cross platform play enabled to see all these randos roaming around town. One of them followed me to my stash and just stood there like a creep. :shock: :lol:
It was his stash, too.
Yeah, but he didn’t have to crowd me. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Switched to a rogue and I’m having a lot of fun. I may go back and level up my Druid a bit more though. I have alt-itis. :oops:

Joined the OO guild after seeing an invite. Then I realized I had an invite from the wanderers too. I feel like the prettiest girl at the dance now.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just met the Butcher. Level 15.

Here's the gameplay behind this mechanic: "Remember that fun thing you were doing? It's over. Have some repair fees instead. Bye!"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finished Act 2, then hit the Level 50 soft cap tonight and moved from skill to paragon points. The paragon grid thing looks MUCH more fun than the dry way of spending paragon in D3. Kind of reminds me of the Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X, which I was playing before this.

I also hit the point where I'm finally starting to feel the squish of my Necro. I literally died more times tonight alone than I have total the rest of the game. The caveat is I'm pretty underleveled gear-wise since I've been running mostly side quests and haven't been doing a lot for drops. I may wind up taking a break from the campaign for a bit to run all the dungeons I never finished in the first area.

I loved D3 and sank many hours into it, but so far D4 improves upon almost everything IMO. The open world campaign is much more fun, the inventory is a godsend (how did it take until 2023 to figure out just making every item take up the same amount of space?), paragon endgame looks way better, the potion system is better, I could go on. It's like they looked at everything in D3 that was a pain in the ass or just plain not fun and completely reworked it for the better.

Obviously I'm just scratching the surface so it remains to be seen whether the shine wears off, but for now I'm really enamored with it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am now in the clan. Has anyone else noticed how every single character always looks sad?

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I finished the main campaign tonight. I was overleveled for it on Veteran - I think I finished at level 53 or 54, which was enough to not feel terribly threatened through most of the end. Which, honestly, is ok by me. I like low pressure when I'm trying to finish the storyline. It also makes you feel super incredibly powerful, at least for my blood necro.

I'm probably going to run through all the side quest dungeons I didn't get to, and then decide whether to let the alt-itis take hold of me. A big hit Barbarian is calling my name at some point. Or maybe a Lightning Sorc? Oh, and I need to join the OO clan if it is still available.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Malificent wrote:I finished the main campaign tonight. I was overleveled for it on Veteran - I think I finished at level 53 or 54, which was enough to not feel terribly threatened through most of the end. Which, honestly, is ok by me. I like low pressure when I'm trying to finish the storyline. It also makes you feel super incredibly powerful, at least for my blood necro.

I'm probably going to run through all the side quest dungeons I didn't get to, and then decide whether to let the alt-itis take hold of me. A big hit Barbarian is calling my name at some point. Or maybe a Lightning Sorc? Oh, and I need to join the OO clan if it is still available.
Still available ( official launch was, well, today ;) ). it's public so you should be able to find it, or ask in the clan thread

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:04 pm I am now in the clan. Has anyone else noticed how every single character always looks sad?
Is there anything to be happy about in this world? I mean I guess maybe our more psychopathic necros could be happy, there are so very, very many corpses to reanimate or explode.
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:49 pm I finished Act 2, then hit the Level 50 soft cap tonight and moved from skill to paragon points.
Son and I are in Act V, I'm lvl 46 and he is 39. I thought *we* were slow rolling the campaign.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

coopasonic wrote:Son and I are in Act V, I'm lvl 46 and he is 39. I thought *we* were slow rolling the campaign.
I'm like a dog seeing a squirrel when a blue side quest marker pops up. :lol:
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 am
coopasonic wrote:Son and I are in Act V, I'm lvl 46 and he is 39. I thought *we* were slow rolling the campaign.
I'm like a dog seeing a squirrel when a blue side quest marker pops up. :lol:
I did hit a point where I had maxed out the number of side quests I could hold.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm only in Act I getting my ass kicked by an academic mom who is all "Lilith has shown me the secrets of the universe and yeah I have a daughter that I love but she knows how to warm some stew and take care of herself so lets keep drawing arcane equations in my blood leave me alone! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

It's a frustrating Act I boss. :grund:
Black lives matter!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I couldn't handle my stronghold boss in act 1 at level 20 last night after getting past the initial mobs (I don't think i got him below 50% even once). I wanted to solo it, but I think I'll be calling in the OO clan tonight for party assistance!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not going to be on tonight but anyone feel free to reach out for assistance anytime. I'm usually around in the evenings 7pm EST - 10pm EST ish. My friendly army of skeleton minions is at your service!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am I couldn't handle my stronghold boss in act 1 at level 20 last night after getting past the initial mobs (I don't think i got him below 50% even once). I wanted to solo it, but I think I'll be calling in the OO clan tonight for party assistance!

yeah my Druid ran into that same thing...stood no chance against the final boss
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaddison wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:13 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:25 am I couldn't handle my stronghold boss in act 1 at level 20 last night after getting past the initial mobs (I don't think i got him below 50% even once). I wanted to solo it, but I think I'll be calling in the OO clan tonight for party assistance!

yeah my Druid ran into that same thing...stood no chance against the final boss
My thought is that I'll level up and grab the barrier ability for defense, esp when he summons the mob.

I would have grabbed it earlier, but I think I was misreading it so that I thought it would take MY health and transfer it to the barrier rather than just *having* that much health! :oops:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I ran that last night with my son (MrMustard) on his druid. We were a level or two low, and yeah - it was a tough fight.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Love that I have to preview every new purchasable item in the store to clear the notification badge on the menu screen. Bad enough you have to watch a ten-second animation to load the store. :roll: Such bullshit from a game I spent over $100 CAD on.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the story tonight. Final act was total cutscene overload. I remember when I sat in awe with Diablo cutscenes now I lack the patience I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep playing at least a bit as I want to hit 50th level (49.2 or so when the credits rolled, son was 45).

Played the entire time at World Tier 2, most of it in co-op with my son. I never upgraded anything, never used the enchanter and basically never slotted a gem. I guess the summoner build isn't THAT bad.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:46 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:31 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:49 pm Are you still playing beta? I thought the full game was June 6.
Early access for the deluxe and whatever even more pricy edition started yesterday evening.

I took a look and there was nothing else in those editions that interested me, so I'll be playing next week.
And finishing next week....
It took 4 days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Most of the Diablo story/lore bores me to tears. Every once in awhile, there's a character I find interesting, but all of the good vs evil/ heaven & hell/ gods and demons and deities and whatnot .... /snore.

Finished Act I properly tonight. Way too many other things to do that distract me from the story. The promise of extended cut-scenes at the end does not entice me to finish. :D
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I agree that I enjoy the setting and atmosphere more than the story, especially as it's pretty similar in each game. But I mean, that's the foundation of the Diablo mythos. I'm actually enjoying the story they're telling in 4 so far; I listened to the audio logs in Diablo 3 over, and over, and over as I came back for adventure mode seasons. So I actually knew/remembered the Lilith/Inarius lore.

However, I'm finding the environments of D4 to be extremely repetitive, and the slow pace of tasks and conversations drives me nuts. It's a bit of a chore to play through so far other than in small bites. But environment-wise, the visuals and layouts just remind me of a mediocre open-world, high-res rendition of Diablo 3 tilesets in the style of Diablo 2. Like the cellar dungeons form the first act feel completely like a re-skin of the ones from Diablo 3. It's so boring.

The combat and item system though feels like a perfect combination of the Diablo 2 and 3 systems so far. No can pull off good-feeling ARPG combat like Blizzard.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 pm Most of the Diablo story/lore bores me to tears. Every once in awhile, there's a character I find interesting, but all of the good vs evil/ heaven & hell/ gods and demons and deities and whatnot .... /snore.
I like the gameplay, but yeah - I feel the same way. In fact, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what Diablo 3's story was about (other than 'defeat a bunch of demons/gods'), and I've played that one six or eight times (the most recent only a few weeks ago.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alt-itis...you are a cruel mistress.

Started a necro last night and played up until the first city. He felt a little more overpowered than my rogue and a lot more overpowered than my druid. but that may be because I understand builds (an infinitesimal bit) more.

I think I'll just say screw it and create one of each and play them to the first city so I can see what I'm missing with each. Sure, that means I don't finish the game before Coop. But let's be honest, he finished it 18 minutes after it released.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only driver to finish the campaign will be to be able to participate in the first Season; my understanding is you can't roll a Seasonal character until you've completed the campaign. But that still gives you a month to a month and a half. Season 1 isn't scheduled until mid-to-late July.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've found my characters' effectiveness so far to really be tied to the skill trees. Duh, right? But it's been pretty fluid thus far, as I experiment with different skills. And the items that grant skill use only confuse things all the more. Some of my barbarian combinations seem to work well, and others not. But then, I update a piece of equipment and lose the skill entirely. So I sub in something different, and I suck again. I generally trying to stick to a Barb thorns build while leveling, but some of my favorite abilities seem to come from non-build skills.

TL:DR - My builds while leveling are a mess & wildly inconsistent in effectiveness.

Still fun though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 pm Just met the Butcher. Level 15.

Here's the gameplay behind this mechanic: "Remember that fun thing you were doing? It's over. Have some repair fees instead. Bye!"
I feel like it's more "remember that incredibly memorable and exciting boss fight that you stumbled across in D1? REMEMBER IT!!" *injects nostalgia directly into vein*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The character I've been playing with my son is a barbarian. I've been fiddling with different options, too. I don't really like any of his generators (the skills that build Fury.) None of them feel great. I've tried them all, but I've ended up sticking with the lunge just for the mobility. But jumping around poking people with the top of my hammer is just... odd. For my main spender, I've settled on Hammer of the Ancients.

I want to make an alt to play by myself, and I'm tempted, but I just ran two characters through D3 a few weeks ago, and I will be wanting to play a new character when the first season releases, so I'm holding off so that I don't burn myself out. That means that I'll only be on when both of us are available, and will likely be lagging behind everyone else for now.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:05 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 pm Just met the Butcher. Level 15.

I feel like it's more "remember that incredibly memorable and exciting boss fight that you stumbled across in D1? REMEMBER IT!!" *injects nostalgia directly into vein*
I remember Butch (that's his name now) from D1. And I'm a sucker for nostalgia. But this is an un-fun implementation (and when the hardcore players are having to use macros to force-crash the game when he shows up, you know they went too far.)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Logged in this a.m. and tried to find someone in the guild/clan/thing but no luck...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins