Bruce Willis retires from acting

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Bruce Willis retires from acting

Post by McNutt »

His family announced that he is suffering from aphasia, which is a type of brain damage that limits a person's ability to express or understand speech.

Bruce had been completely phoning in movies for the past few years, with a constant barrage of movies made around his one- or two-day availability. I watched Cosmic Sin just to see how bad it could be and it was really bad. It didn't look like Willis had any idea what was going on in this movie and most of his very few lines were generic that didn't advance the plot at all.

This is sad news. I guess he was just trying to make a little more money for the retirement he knew he would be forced into.
Daehawk

Re: Bruce Willis retires from acting

Post by Daehawk »

I guess he was just trying to make a little more money for the retirement he knew he would be forced into.
That was my thought too. I didn't realize he was 67 either. He never looked old to me. I mean 67 isn't old old but he looked younger.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

Sorry, had to... :mrgreen:

But wow, that sounds serious.

I've actually read a novel recently in which the main character has aphasia. In their case, he had a brain tumor affecting parts of the brain and its functions, had difficulty understanding speech or even processing it, and anything he tried to say would come out with the wrong words.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now I feel bad for making fun of his micro-appearances in that other thread.

Maybe I need a Will Smithing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's worth 250 million give or take so the phoned in movies seem kind of pointless, but shrug... Sucks I wouldn't wish that on most people. (I wouldn't say anyone as I can think of at least one. ;))
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I had a bout with speech aphasia one night when I had a TIA (mini stroke) about 8-9 years ago. I understood what was coming in, but I couldn't make my mouth say the words I wanted. It's intensely frustrating and scary (especially for someone who talks for a living, as Bruce and I do). I only had to deal with it over the course of about 4-5 hours - I can't imagine how bad it would be to lead my whole life that way.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Eek, that sounds horrible ILB! Come to think of it, I think the same thing might have happened to my Dad when he had a TIA as well. He had to have therapy to help him retrain his brain. Almost sounds like a form of alzheimers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:56 pm Image
Will that replace Batman slapping Robin?

Also, sad for Willis. :(
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:05 pm He's worth 250 million give or take so the phoned in movies seem kind of pointless, but shrug...
For someone who probably truly loves being an actor, it might have been a last-ditch attempt to not give up on it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The meme makes me think Will could get a job being door greet / bouncer at a masochist bar.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This is very sad news.

Cheers to Bruce Willis. We had a lot of fun with him over many years. From Moonlighting to Die Hard to Pulp Fiction. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First time I saw or heard of him was Moonlighting. I liked him...didn't like her. He has done so many movies I loved. Id stick with The 5th Element as my favorite.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:51 pm This is very sad news.

Cheers to Bruce Willis. We had a lot of fun with him over many years. From Moonlighting to Die Hard to Pulp Fiction. :(
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was ridiculing his career recently, but I think I may understand why he was doing so many cheap walk ons now. He probably wants to make sure his family is well taken care of. Hats off to him, if so. I hope he beats this, but I suspect it’s not easy.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The last movie I saw him in (don't recall the name), he did seem a bit off, and I wondered if some sort of dementia was heading his way. I can't put my finger on exactly why, perhaps he was less intense than I'm used to seeing him, but he didn't seem very sharp at all. Too bad, I almost always found his movies entertaining.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:24 pm
My mom experienced aphasia after a TIA. She did speech therapy and it was mostly gone. It came back with long-COVID.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:30 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:05 pm He's worth 250 million give or take so the phoned in movies seem kind of pointless, but shrug...
For someone who probably truly loves being an actor, it might have been a last-ditch attempt to not give up on it.
Maybe I'm reading this article wrong, but it sounds more like his entourage was trying to cash in while there was still some milk in the cash cow.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:38 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:30 pm
Maybe I'm reading this article wrong, but it sounds more like his entourage was trying to cash in while there was still some milk in the cash cow.
Also sounds like movie companies and executives didnt mind milking his name and image to help boost sales either.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My mother's Alzheimer's came on with aphasia. First she lost the command of proper nouns. She recognized people just fine, but couldn't nail their names. Then the common nouns went. She could still understand others and communicate in a rudimentary way, but it was difficult and frustrating for her. Finally she just stopped trying, and fell silent.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Just last week or so, the Razzies had created a new category for "Worst performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie." Willis won for Cosmic Sin. With this announcement, the Razzies have wisely rescinded the award.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I think we all know that "Bruce Willis" in the title is actually "the people still making money on Bruce Willis's back."

Bruce Willis sells his likeness to a firm so his 'digital twin' can star in movies and commercials
Retired action movie star Bruce Willis has become the first Hollywood actor to sell his image and likeness rights to a firm that creates movies and commercials using AI-powered deepfake technology.

DeepCake (opens in new tab) says that they hired the "digital twin" of the Die Hard actor so his digital likeness and voice can be superimposed onto the body double so that the star doesn't even need to make it to a film set. From Star Wars (opens in new tab) to just weird videos online (opens in new tab), deepfake technology can change video content in scary and exciting ways.

The firm wasted no time creating ads with digital Willis like the Russian phone ad above. The hope is that other actors will hop on board and let their digital twins star in productions they otherwise couldn't do. The example used is often a scheduling conflict that could prevent an actor from making filming, and the fake can step in as an understudy, so to speak.

According to a post on the DeepCake site, Willis said that it was a "great opportunity for me to go back in time" when commenting on the accuracy of his younger, digital self. He also mentioned that AI "neural network was trained on content of "Die Hard" and "Fifth Element"; this means that character on-screen is modeled after '90s Bruce Willis during the peak of his career.
I was annoyed that they sold his services to sell Russian phones, but since Deepcake is a Russian company I guess that should come as no surprise.

Apparently this is kind of an old story, though. I also found a Reuters bit on it from a year ago.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Up next, Harrison Ford sells his likeness to Disney.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats cool. hell one day they wont need actors they'll just make them and wont have to pay anyone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Disney's going the opposite direction. They're working on Fakefake.

Enlarge Image
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In breaking news, it turns out that the deal was struck with the AI copy of Bruce Willis, rather than the actual Bruce Willis. Or something.

Bruce Willis denies selling rights to his face
Bruce Willis's agent has denied reports that the film star has sold the rights to his face.

Last week, it was widely reported that Willis, in the first deal of its kind, had sold his face to Georgia-based company Deepcake.

However, a spokesperson for the actor told the BBC that he had "no partnership or agreement" with the company.

A representative of Deepcake said only Willis had the rights to his face.

Deepcake told the BBC it had worked on an advert using its deepfake technology in 2021 with Willis's consent.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »