MLB 2022 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

MLB 2022 Postseason

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by Octavious »

The 260 million dollar Mets have a 4th or 5th starter as their opening day pitcher due to injuries. So ya we're off to the most Mets start in a while. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Angels will finally have Ohtani, Trout, Rendon and all star J. Walsh (Jared not Joe) in the lineup. Fearsome to be sure, but no pitching of note (other than Ohtani of course). Sadly, Justin Upton was designated for assignment, end of an era.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Cubs beat the Brewers in the first game of the year! I bet those "experts" who were picking the Brewers to finish far ahead of the Cubs in the standings this year are really regretting that one.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well their #4-5 starter pitched a gem of a game. 3 hits no runs. Pete was almost killed by a fastball to the face, but it looks like he got lucky and it hit his shoulder first. Mets continue to be the best team ever on opening day. :D
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

naednek

Post by naednek »

well, the real opening day is tonight, when the Giants faceoff with the Marlins.

I managed to get tickets to the Giants vs Dodgers game. You guys might want to check in with me on August 3rd to make sure I made it out alive.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:16 pm Cubs beat the Brewers in the first game of the year! I bet those "experts" who were picking the Brewers to finish far ahead of the Cubs in the standings this year are really regretting that one.
But as Bruce Wolf would say, "1-161 is still possible."
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:16 pm Cubs beat the Brewers in the first game of the year! I bet those "experts" who were picking the Brewers to finish far ahead of the Cubs in the standings this year are really regretting that one.
Hey, as long as the Brew Crew doesn't notch that "1" against the Cubs, I'm fine with it!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Trevor Story is 0 for 4. What a bust! Ship that bum out of town.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They're still doing the bonus runner in extra innings? I thought that they got rid of that.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:32 pm They're still doing the bonus runner in extra innings? I thought that they got rid of that.
I believe it was carried over for this year citing the delayed start/congested calendar. Despite my displeasure at seeing it have impact, I thought it was a fairly good opening day game.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:07 pm
Hey, as long as the Brew Crew doesn't notch that "1" against the Cubs, I'm fine with it!
BTW, I actually tried to watch the game yesterday. YouTubeTV told me it was blacked out in my area. Another baseball-free summer, it seems!
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The extra inning / base runner thing got added about a week or two ago, along with some other agreements (28 man rosters until May, the Otani rule letting him DH after pitching, etc.)

FWIW - the ghost runner thing was only approved for 2022.

MLB, MLBPA Reach Tentative Agreement To Reimplement Ghost Runner In 2022

O's dropped their opener, but they didn't play badly. Left 8 men on base though. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Wanted to watch the Mets/Nats game tonight, and couldn't (despite having MLB.tv) because of Apple+ streaming exclusives. Lovely. :roll:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:27 pm The extra inning / base runner thing got added about a week or two ago, along with some other agreements (28 man rosters until May, the Otani rule letting him DH after pitching, etc.)

FWIW - the ghost runner thing was only approved for 2022.

MLB, MLBPA Reach Tentative Agreement To Reimplement Ghost Runner In 2022

O's dropped their opener, but they didn't play badly. Left 8 men on base though. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Wanted to watch the Mets/Nats game tonight, and couldn't (despite having MLB.tv) because of Apple+ streaming exclusives. Lovely. :roll:
The Apple TV exclusive is shit. First, because I have a TV using the Android OS I can't get the app through the Google Play Store and the iPad won't mirror with the TV unless I had an Apple TV box attached to the TV. After some looking I find out I can find the app on the PS5 so I downloaded it and tune into the game. I don't have the option to play from the beginning of the game so I don't get to see any standing ovation Scherzer might have gotten when he first takes the mound. The game proceeds to drop out twice and the shills, umm "announcers", on Apple TV work in references to Apple products. The second time they mentioned Siri I wanted to throw my PS5 controller at the screen and decided to mute them and stream the Nationals radio broadcast.

I'm entertained by the twitterverse comments about how shitty the Apple announcers are who sound like they should be working behind the counter in the Genius Bar. But with 6 months of free Apple TV I get to see what this Ted Lasso is all about. :P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:32 pm
BTW, I actually tried to watch the game yesterday. YouTubeTV told me it was blacked out in my area. Another baseball-free summer, it seems!
I had to run to the store yesterday while the Cubs game was on, so I decided to tune into the radio broadcast for the car ride. Turns out, I don't think my new Volvo actually has an AM radio. Huh. (How far I've come from my first car that had only an AM radio.) Fortunately I was able to find it on XM radio, so i was able to listen to Pat and Ron for a bit (albeit the wrong Ron :( ).
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Lindor was hit in the head by Cishek tonight. Fourth Met hit in two games. Benches cleared, but just some scuffling. Buck was not happy, and I wouldn't be either. It's going to be a long year for Mets/Nats if this keeps up.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Wow that was awful

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 pm
I had to run to the store yesterday while the Cubs game was on, so I decided to tune into the radio broadcast for the car ride. Turns out, I don't think my new Volvo actually has an AM radio. Huh. (How far I've come from my first car that had only an AM radio.) Fortunately I was able to find it on XM radio, so i was able to listen to Pat and Ron for a bit (albeit the wrong Ron :( ).
I have YouTube TV and the Cubs are "blacked out in your market." So yay! Another baseball-free season!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:40 pm
I have YouTube TV and the Cubs are "blacked out in your market." So yay! Another baseball-free season!
Welcome to the glorious future! Cubs are Marquee Network exclusive. I'm not a Cubs fan but I like baseball so I'll throw them on via the radio if the Sox aren't playing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 pm Turns out, I don't think my new Volvo actually has an AM radio. Huh. (How far I've come from my first car that had only an AM radio.)
This is shocking to me. Is it FEV? I know FEVs have too much interference for AM and usually just drop it. But otherwise, AM is a great emergency safety feature, seems crazy that they would remove it unless they had to.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:05 am Welcome to the glorious future! Cubs are Marquee Network exclusive. I'm not a Cubs fan but I like baseball so I'll throw them on via the radio if the Sox aren't playing.
The future may or may not be glorious, either case, it seems the Cubs will not be in it.

How many days until football season sucks? I tried to watch some Bulls games recently and have the pedal to the medal going into the playoffs...but the transmission is in reverse.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:40 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:32 pm BTW, I actually tried to watch the game yesterday. YouTubeTV told me it was blacked out in my area. Another baseball-free summer, it seems!
Jeff, I'm so glad to hear that you were able to watch the Cubs on YouTubeTV and that you're looking forward to another baseball-filled summer!
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:09 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:15 pm Turns out, I don't think my new Volvo actually has an AM radio. Huh. (How far I've come from my first car that had only an AM radio.)
This is shocking to me. Is it FEV? I know FEVs have too much interference for AM and usually just drop it. But otherwise, AM is a great emergency safety feature, seems crazy that they would remove it unless they had to.
I'm going to assume that FEV is something along the lines of "Fully Electric Vehicle" and not "Forced Evolutionary Virus". It's a plug-in hybrid, so while it has a gas engine, it is also capable of running fully electric while the charge lasts.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 am

I'm going to assume that FEV is something along the lines of "Fully Electric Vehicle" and not "Forced Evolutionary Virus". It's a plug-in hybrid, so while it has a gas engine, it is also capable of running fully electric while the charge lasts.
Yep, fully electric (also B(attery)EV) as opposed to plug in hybrid (PHEV) or traditional hybrid (HEV). It's probably still due to the electric motor on the plug in. I did not know that.

Traditional hybrids are able to run AM.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:26 am Jeff, I'm so glad to hear that you were able to watch the Cubs on YouTubeTV and that you're looking forward to another baseball-filled summer!
Huh? No, that never happened. Yesterday I was at Noon Whistle Brewery in Lombard, and they had the White Sox game on. I paid more attention to Instagram videos on my phone, but that sums up my total exposure to baseball this season.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm not sure how I made it this lOOng on the boards without realizing what an avid baseball watching fan Jeff V is. Congrats on your favorite sports cheering season and all the best to your team on those cool evenings you sit on the couch watching them go 162-0!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:13 pm I'm not sure how I made it this lOOng on the boards without realizing what an avid baseball watching fan Jeff V is. Congrats on your favorite sports cheering season and all the best to your team on those cool evenings you sit on the couch watching them go 162-0!
Used to be. I used to be the guy who knew all of the player stats at least down to AA in the organization. Then I worked for the Cubs owner during the 1992 strike. Cured me of that obsession for sure.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I've always wondered if the 2d strike box was at the front, middle, or back of the plate. According to my internet research today, it's at the front.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets have won their first 4 series. Hitting and pitching. It's nuts. If they can keep this up until deGrom comes back it will be amazing.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Schwarber deserves an Espy for that.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh I can't wait for the Jomboy breakdown of that one. No way he misses that one. :lol: I don't get how that asshat is still umping in the league. He has zero clue what he's doing. That isn't really that bad of a call it's right off the plate. That's a nothing burger compared to him missing strikes down the middle. Or I don't know call a ball dropped in the outfield a catch. Or having multiple plays going to review and getting overturned. He's such a piece of crap.

malchior

Post by malchior »

They only showed the one pitch but his strike zone is ... everywhere and it's constantly changing. Game to game. Inning to inning. Batter to batter. He isn't a MLB caliber umpire and they need to do something about him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm They only showed the one pitch but his strike zone is ... everywhere and it's constantly changing. Game to game. Inning to inning. Batter to batter. He isn't a MLB caliber umpire and they need to do something about him.
Who?
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote:
malchior wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm They only showed the one pitch but his strike zone is ... everywhere and it's constantly changing. Game to game. Inning to inning. Batter to batter. He isn't a MLB caliber umpire and they need to do something about him.
Who?
Angel Hernandez. History of being awful

malchior

Post by malchior »

On that day, he had the highest error rate for any umpire in a MLB game (out of 15 games) at around 85% accuracy - the league standard is about 94-95%. Worse the majority of the errors were thrown balls called as strikes versus thrown strikes called as balls. That helped out Eric Laurer's who had a career best of 13 strike outs. In any case, Hernandez is straight up ridiculous. There are other bad umpires (Joe West comes to mind immediately) but Hernandez seems to revel in it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Who?

He's been mentioned a time or two.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote:
naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Who?

He's been mentioned a time or two.
Even by El Guapo

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Umpires union and his history of suing the MLB for discrimination mean nothing will likely be done, other than keeping him out of the playoffs.

MYT