MLB 2022 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by Jaymann »

So if Pujols gets to 699 home runs this year, does he come back next year for a Mr. 3000 appearance?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pujols hits 2 dingers tonight to reach 700.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Freaking nuts the season he has had. He could come back next year and pass Babe Ruth, but it doesn't seem like he has any interest in doing that. I think he might make the HOF. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That was Dave Winfield in the stands!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ruth has 714. Pujols only had 20 this year in ~100 games played.

He'll probably be fine with being 4th on the all-time list behind Ruth, Aaron and [redacted].
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He's probably going to hit a few more before the season ends as they have the playoffs as well. Might be at like 704-705. He was very clear that he wasn't coming back so good on him. It would eat me alive to know I could pass Babe Ruth. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He probably made more in this season than Ruth did in his career.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

17 million adjusted for inflation is around what he made for his career. I don't think Albert is pulling down that much this year, but haven't checked.

Edit

2.5 million. Not that it matters as he made 341 million career earnings. Things have changed a bit lol. What a fun season. We still have Judge who will likely pass Maris this week.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres get a literal walk off win against the Dodgers. Phillies lose. Brewers lose.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets lost to the fn Marlins at home in a must win game. So ya that's great. Now the Mets and Braves have the same record. The Mets really tanked having an easy schedule. One more game against the Marlins and then they might play the Braves. Hurricane could delay the end of the season.

So at this point the Mets now are at a disadvantage as they have to play the Braves in Atlanta for a 3 game set. Last time I think they got swept. They need to take 2 of 3 as it's highly unlikely that the Braves lose to the Marlins with is their final 3 game series. Mets play the Nationals. I can't bare to watch these games.

And I still think the Braves have a better team. Mets have some glaring holes that need to get filled in the offseason. Bullpen.... 3B and catcher in particular. And Darrin Ruf needs to be left on a deserted island. What a terrible trade that has been.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This season is going to kill my soul. Mets/Braves tied in the standings... Both games end in walk off wins. Mets win and the Braves lose. :horse: Gigantic 3 game series in Atlanta starting Friday.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:49 pm This season is going to kill my soul. Mets/Braves tied in the standings... Both games end in walk off wins. Mets win and the Braves lose. :horse: Gigantic 3 game series in Atlanta starting Friday.
Have the Mets clinched a playoff spot yet? I know they're tied with the Braves for the division, just not sure whether they're going to make the playoffs in one form or another.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:21 am
Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:49 pm This season is going to kill my soul. Mets/Braves tied in the standings... Both games end in walk off wins. Mets win and the Braves lose. :horse: Gigantic 3 game series in Atlanta starting Friday.
Have the Mets clinched a playoff spot yet? I know they're tied with the Braves for the division, just not sure whether they're going to make the playoffs in one form or another.
The Mets have easily clinched a playoff spot (they're 98-58!!). The question will be whether they win the NL East and get a bye into the division series, or if they have to play wild card games, likely against San Diego.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya it's just about winning the division. If they don't then they have to burn all their good pitchers in the wild card series and then would face the Dodgers. That's less then ideal. Also the Braves have been beating us for like 30 years. :P

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OMG, a Phillies collapse! Losers of 5 straight, they are now tied with the Brewers for the final wild card spot.

Edit: If they are tied at the end of the season is there a wild card/wild card playoff?

Edit edit: It's all based on tiebreaks, especially head to head.

Edit edit edit: Phillies hold a 3-2 record vs Brewers in head to head.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 pm OMG, a Phillies collapse! Losers of 5 straight, they are now tied with the Brewers for the final wild card spot.

Edit: If they are tied at the end of the season is there a wild card/wild card playoff?

Edit edit: It's all based on tiebreaks, especially head to head.

Edit edit edit: Phillies hold a 3-2 record vs Brewers in head to head.
How embarrassing! I can't imagine a more embarrassing performance by a baseball team in the 2022 season. Let's all focus on how badly the Phillies are playing!
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why? Did everyone forget that Washington and Oakland have teams?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:54 pm Why? Did everyone forget that Washington and Oakland have teams?
Many have. I think what we need is soccer style relegation. They should have a post-season event with KC and Pittsburgh to see who gets to stay in MLB. Maybe it'd provide some incentive to stop the insanity we see in towns like Pittsburgh where they tank the team in an eternally futile effort to get top picks for a rebuild.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would LOVE MLB and NHL relegation.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:10 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:54 pm Why? Did everyone forget that Washington and Oakland have teams?
Many have. I think what we need is soccer style relegation. They should have a post-season event with KC and Pittsburgh to see who gets to stay in MLB. Maybe it'd provide some incentive to stop the insanity we see in towns like Pittsburgh where they tank the team in an eternally futile effort to get top picks for a rebuild.
We've had relegation discussions before. The short version is that it doesn't work with the structures of MLB and MiLB, given that the minor league teams are stocked with players whose rights are owned by the big league teams.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The future is not written.

CBS Sports
At long last, there will be a union for minor-league baseball players. The news has been building the last few weeks, and on Wednesday, an arbiter approved the MiLB players union authorization cards, which showed there was enough support from minor leaguers to join the MLB Players Association.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't see how that changes the equation on relegation. Even if they're unionized, the major financial support for MiLB payrolls will come from MLB clubs.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zero chance pro/rel ever comes to any major US sport.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dear ESPN,

If I cared about baseball, I’d watch baseball. I don’t need you to preempt the college football game I’m trying to watch - that is a one-score game with under 2 minutes to play - for every Judge at-bat.

Thanks,
Literally every college football fan
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Relegation wouldn't work with the iUS major sports. There are no teams to promote. It's not like there is an unaffiliated MiLB team that could even hope to compete in the bigs. Same with the other majors. You can't relegate if there is no one to promote.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Shohei Ohtani has agreed to a $30 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels for the 2023 season in the two-way superstar's final year of arbitration eligibility before free agency.
Ohtani's deal is fully guaranteed, with no other provisions. The deal is the largest one-year contract ever given to an arbitration-eligible player, surpassing the $27 million given to Mookie Betts by the Boston Red Sox in January 2020, a month before he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pathetic... I haven't felt this low in a while. I mean they are still in the playoffs, but seriously what a f'n choke job.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Octavious wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:34 pm Pathetic... I haven't felt this low in a while. I mean they are still in the playoffs, but seriously what a f'n choke job.
I'm sorry...but :dance: for me...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres clinch a wild card spot, although they did back in with a Brewers loss. Still, the champagne flowed in San Diego. Phillies and Brewers still in a battle for the last spot.

Edit: Phillies are up a game, but finish the season at the Astros. Brewers get Diamondbacks at home. Nail biting time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote:
Octavious wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:34 pm Pathetic... I haven't felt this low in a while. I mean they are still in the playoffs, but seriously what a f'n choke job.
I'm sorry...but :dance: for me...
NL East champs!Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Astros are drubbing the Phillies, so it looks like Braves - Phillies and Mets - Padres.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Whatever...Braves get a bye along with the Dodgers.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:54 pm Whatever...Braves get a bye along with the Dodgers.
Oh, then it will be Cardinals - Phillies.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya instead of a bye the Mets have to play the Padres and if they beat them the Dodgers. All paths probably lead to the Dodgers at some point, but they would be at a disadvantage rotation wise. Oh well the Mets vastly outperformed what I expected for this year. I honestly think they need a year or two of building.

They may have catcher and 3b rounded out for next year. Which means it's the pen and dh that will be the holes that need to be addressed. Nice to know they have an owner that will try to do exactly that.

I really don't think deGrom will be back. He will opt out and ask for crazy money. Somebody will pay it and I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets pass. They need to sign Diaz and a few other people. Unless Diaz kersplodes he's going to get probably the highest contract ever for a relief pitcher. He has been absolutely insane this year.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, that's brutal when a 100 win season only gets you a wild card spot.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's not going to get any better. The Braves have like their entire team locked up for 5-10 years. This is the 90's all over again.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well, I guess I have to root for the Guardians. Go AL Central. Yay.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:37 am Wow, that's brutal when a 100 win season only gets you a wild card spot.
There was a time where a 100+ win season could mean no playoffs at all!
Hodor.