MLB 2022 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:00 pm Maybe Hosmer was holding out for a trade to the Yankees? And Tatis Jr. will be back in a week or so.
Honestly isn't it as simple as he's presumably rather be on a great (probably) playoff-bound team in a great weather city than on a terrible team in a normal-weather city? Why would he agree to the trade?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hosmer did agree to be traded to Boston.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote:Hosmer did agree to be traded to Boston.
Heh yeah, just saw that. I guess he is ok with east coast non playoff teams after all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:32 pm
Heh yeah, just saw that. I guess he is ok with east coast non playoff teams after all.

To be fair, Boston isn't the utter dumpster fire Washington is.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Did you miss that game against the Blue Jays? :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:49 pm

Did you miss that game against the Blue Jays? :D
It is true that the Red Sox are at least within 4 games of a playoff spot, and despite management issues over the past couple years, the ownership team is definitely better than in D.C. But still...not sure why he would choose Boston over San Diego. Unless he wasn't getting playing time in San Diego? He'll definitely get plenty in Boston, given our prior lack of professional first basemen.
Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Actually, according to Rosenthal, Boston wasn't one of the teams on Hosmer's partial no-trade clause. So it's not like he chose Boston, right? He just couldn't veto it, if what I read is true.

Also - Padres sent Luke Voit to the Nats when Hosmer balked, but that's a minor thing. Washington got some nice prospects, but wow - amazing how far the Nats have fallen so quickly. Going from the days of Harper, Rendon, Scherzer, Soto, Turner and company to this... pretty crazy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:05 pm Actually, according to Rosenthal, Boston wasn't one of the teams on Hosmer's partial no-trade clause. So it's not like he chose Boston, right? He just couldn't veto it, if what I read is true.
Ah, that makes sense, then.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Cubs are a bit of a mystery here. It was considered a certainty that Contreras and Happ would be traded - so much so that Contreras had multiple standing ovations from the crowd at his "final" home game. Yet the deadline is passed and they're still here. Happ is at least somewhat justifiable as he's still under team control for another year (although I wonder whether his value will ever be as high as it is today). Now, unless the Cubs sign Contreras to an extension in the coming months, the best they'll get for him is a conditional draft pick (assuming they tender a qualifying offer). It's likely some combination of the Cubs asking too much, other teams worried about how a new catcher (who has a cannon arm, but is often dinged for his game calling and pitch framing) would mesh with a new pitching staff mid-season, and the Padres getting Soto and Bell and not having to resort to Plan B.

Rebuild's going great on the North Side!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm super bummed about the lack of movement from the Mets. The trade to the Giants is bizarre as they gave up 4 players for Darrin Ruf... He's going to platoon at dh. Whatever...I think they are planning for next season at this point. This was a very Wilpon trade deadline.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Will pitch framing matter in the age of robot umpires?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 pm Will pitch framing matter in the age of robot umpires?
Doubt it, but unless they implement it in the next few weeks, it's likely moot for whoever would have traded for Contreras for the balance of the year. :P
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Red Sox are in a weird muddle of a position, so they wound up with a weird muddle of a trade deadline. They downgraded at catcher, shipping off Christian Vazquez (long time Red Sox and pretty good hitter) to the Astros an importing a worse catcher from the White Sox, while also trading for Hosmer, who while not spectacular is a substantial upgrade on our current train wreck at first. Also picked up some prospects. But didn't ship out any of the pending free agent talent (Bogaerts, Eovaldi, and Martinez). Also managed to annoy Bogaerts by shipping out Vazquez.

Who knows. Really hard to see this team making a real run this year given how they have played for most of the season and given the talent ahead of them in the standings. Also really hard to see them resigning all of their free agents. So feels like they probably should have been more aggressive in selling. But at the same time with the Red Sox only 3.5 games out of a playoff spot going into the deadline, and fans being a little disgruntled given the Betts trade and given management letting their talented players walk...I'm not sure that they had the fan / social capital to risk throwing away whatever chance that they have this season. Also feels like they gave Bogaerts a lot of leverage in his negotiations, as if they now let him walk for nothing in the offseason that's only going to annoy fans more.

Of course, they also somehow just beat the Astros twice in a row, which I can hardly believe.....so who knows, maybe they still have a shot at turning this season around.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15 pm Of course, they also somehow just beat the Astros twice in a row, which I can hardly believe.....so who knows, maybe they still have a shot at turning this season around.
This is the part that has me flummoxed. They've taken 4 of 5 so far this year. I guess it's possible the Sox are the Astros' kryptonite, but it sure is weird.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Here's Octavious's favorite player making his entrance yesterday.

Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

FUCK! Tatis suspended for 80 games for PED's. That's nearly 30 games into next season. He should damn well have time to heal up.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

pr0ner wrote:Here's Octavious's favorite player making his entrance yesterday.

He's my buddy now. I wanted to murder him a few years ago. Going to the game tomorrow woo.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks, Giants, for keeping the Padres in the heat of the wildcard race. Made especially sweet by the fact all 3 Padre victories were by one run.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I wonder what that's like.

Rangers are 10-27 in one-run games, fewest wins in the league.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder what winning games is like.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:06 pm I wonder what winning games is like.
Ask and you shall receive.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Octavious wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:28 pm
pr0ner wrote:Here's Octavious's favorite player making his entrance yesterday.

He's my buddy now. I wanted to murder him a few years ago. Going to the game tomorrow woo.
Timmy Trumpet actually came to the game yesterday and played his intro live. Pretty nuts... Had a one, two, three inning to not make it a sad story. :lol: Nimmo made a ridiculous catch to keep the Mets up a run. The only bad news was the rookie they called up Baty tore a ligament in his thumb and will be out the remainder of the regular season. I feel more bad for him than anything else. He's just too young and unpolished to be making a huge difference yet anyway.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would like to personally thank the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Giants for elevating the Padres into the second wildcard spot. It took a group effort but you got it done!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:34 am I would like to personally thank the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Giants for elevating the Padres into the second wildcard spot. It took a group effort but you got it done!
The Phils are busy losing (big!) to Arizona and SF, not cool. It's like they thought they could coast once Harper came back...

They scored 28 runs in 3 games against Arizona and only won one of them.
Conform or be cast out!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, I never expected the Braves to come from WAY back to catch the Mets. Looks like Octavious's pessimism was justified. At least if the Mets don't win the division they are a shoo-in for the wild card.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:23 pm Wow, I never expected the Braves to come from WAY back to catch the Mets. Looks like Octavious's pessimism was justified. At least if the Mets don't win the division they are a shoo-in for the wild card.
This isn't his first day as a Mets fan.
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Boston is really close to a dumpster fire.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:34 am I would like to personally thank the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Giants for elevating the Padres into the second wildcard spot. It took a group effort but you got it done!
The Padres are improved but they are several players away from being top flight.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm

Boston is really close to a dumpster fire.
Indeed. Hopefully ownership has learned that going into the season without a professional first baseman or right fielder is a bad idea.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

El Guapo wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:23 pm Wow, I never expected the Braves to come from WAY back to catch the Mets. Looks like Octavious's pessimism was justified. At least if the Mets don't win the division they are a shoo-in for the wild card.
This isn't his first day as a Mets fan.
Seriously lol. Honestly I'm not super worried about it. They will be in the playoffs no matter what at this point. They get their staff healthy and they can make a run from the wc if they have to.

Braves just don't FN lose like ever.

naednek

Post by naednek »

well, at least we didn't get swept this time
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It won't go into effect until next season, but MLB has approved the 15 second pitch clock and banned defensive shifts. :think: :doh:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:26 pm It won't go into effect until next season, but MLB has approved the 15 second pitch clock and banned defensive shifts. :think: :doh:
I really don't like this, but I'm old and also don't like the DH so what do I know?

The people I've read who have seen the clock used in the minor say it works well, but watching players "strike out" because they take 8.5 seconds to be alert to the pitcher isn't exciting.
Conform or be cast out!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh man, Angel Hernandez with another winner today. Like I usually will say in situations like this it shows that he has no business being a Major League umpire. His judgement is inexplicably outside acceptable bounds.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They also called an infield fly on a line drive in the same inning. He's a fucking joke.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh and they didn't overturn that call so the Mets lost their challenge for the game. They are up 4-0 so probably won't matter, but fuck that dude.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI they cut from a clown making balloons to Angel. The booth giggled. I'm sure it was intentional. :lol:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Albert just hit another bomb to pass ARod on the all time hr list. He's totally going to get to 700 if he doesn't get hurt.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

From the Mets broadcast yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/me ... 987a09208b

FYI after that terrible call he was fine the rest of the game. He even had a decent strike zone. I don't get why he makes bizarre calls like that. I don't think I've ever seen that called and certainly not by the HP umpire who couldn't possibly see anything.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets hit the easy part of the schedule and fall flat on their face. They really cocked up by not getting a big bat at the trade deadline. Ever move they did hasn't worked out. Oh well. They will make the playoffs for sure and they have the resources to plug holes for next year.